NATION

PASSWORD

Allow searching for 3 letter words in RMBs

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Bedetopia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Allow searching for 3 letter words in RMBs

Postby Bedetopia » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:55 am

The reasoning behind this is quite simple. Most regions and orgs have a 3 letter acronym, but because of that we cannot search for mentions of them on RMB posts as the search is limited to 4 letters minimum.

Granted, there's probably a technical limitation involved that makes searching for short words very expensive, however I believe that it would be very useful to be able to search for acronyms, as it helps grasp the political landscape more easily by knowing which region said what about another region or organization.
Last edited by [violet] on Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:38 am

Failing that, it'd be at least nice for a search to return an error message reading "Query must be four characters" instead of the current "No results", which is usually demonstrably untrue and baffling for anyone who hasn't heard of this restriction.
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Bedetopia
Diplomat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bedetopia » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:40 am

Looks like a bump is needed. [violet] saw it but I'd like to have a techie tell whether or not it's possible or if it's low priority or something else.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:52 pm

Ainin wrote:Failing that, it'd be at least nice for a search to return an error message reading "Query must be four characters" instead of the current "No results", which is usually demonstrably untrue and baffling for anyone who hasn't heard of this restriction.

Speculating, but probably, on the back end, the system indexes only if words have more than four characters. That's why there are no results.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:06 pm

That's correct.

It's a reasonably big project to test & benchmark what happens when we allow 3-character words, so while it's worth doing, I can't promise I'll get to it soon.

Bedetopia
Diplomat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bedetopia » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:24 pm

[violet] wrote:That's correct.

It's a reasonably big project to test & benchmark what happens when we allow 3-character words, so while it's worth doing, I can't promise I'll get to it soon.

What if, instead of all 3 letter words, you only indexed acronyms? You could make a thread for new ones to be proposed.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:07 pm

Bedetopia wrote:What if, instead of all 3 letter words, you only indexed acronyms? You could make a thread for new ones to be proposed.
How would the game know what's an acronym? People can come up with new ones at any time.

More viable would be to allow all 3-letter words except for certain banned words like "the" and "and".

Bedetopia
Diplomat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bedetopia » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:27 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Bedetopia wrote:What if, instead of all 3 letter words, you only indexed acronyms? You could make a thread for new ones to be proposed.
How would the game know what's an acronym? People can come up with new ones at any time.

More viable would be to allow all 3-letter words except for certain banned words like "the" and "and".

Even these could be acronyms though. I don't think the system is case-sensitive.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:47 pm

[violet] will have to decide if it makes enough of a difference on efficiency that banning certain words is worth it.

However, like you say, searching is case-insensitive, so either you allow both the word "the" and an acronym that looks like it, or you allow neither.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical