NATION

PASSWORD

Non-Receipt of Warning of Cease to Exist NS Telegrams

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Alluvial
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 02, 2015
Authoritarian Democracy

Non-Receipt of Warning of Cease to Exist NS Telegrams

Postby Alluvial » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:07 am

I am not receiving the customary warning that a nation may Cease to Exist telegram from NS despite all my nations being set to receive such a warning with my correct email given in the Settings pages. Any clues as to what is happening, please?

Nor am I receiving messages about a request for a password reset on a nation that CTE'd.
Last edited by Alluvial on Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:14 am

If you're not getting NS mail when using the same email address, the likely culprit is your email provider. You're using AOL, which is very quick to block and almost impossible to unblock. They've had those policies (and a horrible reputation on the Internet) for decades now. All it takes is for one NS player to accidentally hit the "this is spam" button, and all our email goes into a black hole.

Get yourself a gaming email address from Gmail. Go into the settings and have all your mail autoforwarded to your AOL account. Change all your nations' email address to the new Gmail address. Problem solved.

And for pity's sake, stop using AOL. They absolutely deserve their horrible reputation.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:04 pm

Don't use Gmail either, if you don't want Google snooping through all your correspondence.

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014

Postby Phydios » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:13 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Don't use Gmail either, if you don't want Google snooping through all your correspondence.

Oh please, what evidence do you have of that, besides a general distrust of big companies? I have used Gmail for years and have never had a problem with it. Their spam filtering is quite good, and they should work fine for Alluvial.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Vincent Drake
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 08, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Vincent Drake » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:36 pm

I would strongly recommend using a dedicated NS gmail account instead of mixing personal stuff in. The more nations you have, the more important it is to keep your email clean and organized.

Also, it is widely known that Google mines data and actually showed targeted advertising in inboxes, that's not FUD. "If you can't figure out what the paid product is, you are the product!" However, if all you are doing is NS, that's not exactly lucrative data. If you want to see what parties are actually tracking you at any given time and web address, there are apps that show you that. So many companies and services track you in 2017, from your ISP to your social media platforms to the credit bureaus, to in many cases your OS, truly avoiding the data collection is difficult and in many cases, a complete waste of time (like patching a flooding levee in one place while leaving a breach open somewhere else). I really wouldn't be concerned with Google when all you're doing is getting NS apoc notifications and WA admits.
Commander in The Order of the Grey Wardens
Founder of European Union

Need to talk? Vincent Drake#3952

Alluvial
Political Columnist

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Alluvial » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:15 pm

Many thanks for all your interest in my problems and for the advice given... I am not very computer literate so I think that I will simply apply for another G-mail account other than the one which I use for my school business. If I have any problems I will get back with you guys.

I do have many nations which I use for 'experimental' purposes for Issues, etc so hopefully this will ease/eradicate my problem(s)
Last edited by Alluvial on Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:29 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Don't use Gmail either, if you don't want Google snooping through all your correspondence.

I always recommend Gmail, because they don't give NationStates any problems with spam blocking. Can't say that about AOL.com, Yahoo.com, or any of the Microsoft email hosts (Hotmail, Outlook, live.com). There may be other, perfectly valid, email providers that don't cause problems ... but I don't know who they are.

Ayamya
Attaché

Founded: Sep 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Ayamya » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:03 pm

Mozilla Thunderbird does not block NS emails
Country is based on my IRL politics

#NotAllFlubals. Put this in your sig if you know not all Flubals get into car accidents

Alluvial
Political Columnist

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Alluvial » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:34 pm

Well, I managed to activate another Gmail account without to much bother and change the e-mail notifications for pending apocalypses but how do I switch between the two accounts? My new one seems to have 'taken over' my old school-owned account and when I try to get into the school district account it switches me to my new account :(

Out of the frying pan and into the fire?

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014

Postby Phydios » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:43 pm

Alluvial wrote:Well, I managed to activate another Gmail account without to much bother and change the e-mail notifications for pending apocalypses but how do I switch between the two accounts? My new one seems to have 'taken over' my old school-owned account and when I try to get into the school district account it switches me to my new account :(

Out of the frying pan and into the fire?

I have no idea what you are talking about, and I'm a longtime Gmail user. Maybe this will help?

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/1721977
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Alluvial
Political Columnist

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Alluvial » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:02 pm

Thank you, it did and all is now well... Thanks for your patience :)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical