NATION

PASSWORD

Beta 011: Average Disposable Incomes (New)

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Leondaldal
Attaché

Founded: Sep 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Leondaldal » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:03 am

Uh yeah your not addressing the real problem, my income tax is 75% but my government is 32% of my GDP. This is very unrealistic for example: my real life natoion that I live in is the UK and our average income tax (band 1=20% band 2=40% and the top rate band 3=45%)is much lower than my NS nations rate and the UK government expenditure is 40% of the UK GDP. It is also the same with most other nations. And yes my country does have other taxes like corporation tax (I know this because of issues I have addressed and my general policies).
Yes of course implement it but only after you have fixed the problem of income tax in my nation being 75% and government expenditure being just 32%.
abortion
multiculturalism
secularisation
immigration
democracy
equality
freedom of religious beliefs
freedom of speech
democracy
women's rights

racism
xenophobia
nationalism
protectionism
social conservatism
authoritarianism
extremism

Leutria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:08 am

This change was not intended to alter tax rates at all, this stat just makes use of it.

Also, government % GDP and income tax rates are not at all the same thing. I think the admin/issue editors have talked a bit about a tax overhaul, but that is a large project and is likely a little ways off.

Leondaldal
Attaché

Founded: Sep 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Leondaldal » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:25 pm

Leutria wrote:This change was not intended to alter tax rates at all, this stat just makes use of it.

Also, government % GDP and income tax rates are not at all the same thing. I think the admin/issue editors have talked a bit about a tax overhaul, but that is a large project and is likely a little ways off.

I know but I knows lots of National statistics in the real world and in reality the opposite is true with expenditures being higher average income tax rates!
abortion
multiculturalism
secularisation
immigration
democracy
equality
freedom of religious beliefs
freedom of speech
democracy
women's rights

racism
xenophobia
nationalism
protectionism
social conservatism
authoritarianism
extremism

Botschaft von
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 15, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Botschaft von » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:34 pm

[violet] wrote:Beta 011: Average Disposable Incomes (New)

Proposed Change: This would be a new World Census scale that measures average incomes after tax. For comparison purposes, pre-tax incomes are shown as "Current." Nations with no income tax show identical pre- and post-tax incomes, while nations with 100% tax rates show 0 income.

Great idea!

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:38 pm

Leondaldal wrote:
Leutria wrote:This change was not intended to alter tax rates at all, this stat just makes use of it.

I know but I knows lots of National statistics in the real world and in reality the opposite is true with expenditures being higher average income tax rates!

That's an issue with the way NS handles taxes, not with this stst.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

He Qixin
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby He Qixin » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:06 pm

NVM, now that my income tax has dropped to a measly 11.9%, I am for this idea now. The nations with 100% or very high income tax are going to be the mad ones!
Last edited by He Qixin on Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jacknjellify wrote:Watch Battle For Dream Island or be eliminated.

According to this index, this civilization is:
Tier: 8
Level: 5
Type: 6
A 9 civilization because I lean more towards it.

This nation is always used to post in the forums unless the forum is the WA, for which I use Triangle and Square, a WA member, to post.

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:31 pm

He Qixin wrote:NVM, now that my income tax has dropped to a measly 11.9%, I am for this idea now. The nations with 100% or very high income tax are going to be the mad ones!

Why would they be mad? This beta changes nothing. It adds an entirely new statistic without changing any current ones.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

He Qixin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby He Qixin » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:50 pm

Phydios wrote:
He Qixin wrote:NVM, now that my income tax has dropped to a measly 11.9%, I am for this idea now. The nations with 100% or very high income tax are going to be the mad ones!

Why would they be mad? This beta changes nothing. It adds an entirely new statistic without changing any current ones.

oh

This nation is always used to post in the forums unless the forum is the WA, for which I use Triangle and Square, a WA member, to post.

He Qixin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby He Qixin » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:52 pm

But finally, there's a reason for having a low income tax!

Merconitonitopia
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Merconitonitopia » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:06 am

I'm 100% and I like the idea of my citizens not being allowed to spend a cent of their earnings >:)

Araneidae
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 12, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Araneidae » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:26 am

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=ara ... il=economy

Our economy consists mainly of Black Market. Therefore tax isn't really relevant when it comes to disposable income. Should this not be taken into account?

The way I see it, in this nation the citizens get most of their disposable income from resale and bartering. Which are outside of the government control.
Last edited by Araneidae on Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Santa Chiara
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Santa Chiara » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:52 am

Caracasus wrote:Can't say I am against this... but I wonder if it might not be an idea to examine some of the underlying issues with tax and how it is modeled first?

I fully agree

He Qixin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Did you know?

Postby He Qixin » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:04 am

IRL, the country with the highest tax rate is UAE with a whopping 55%, nowhere close to some of your higher ranked nations in NationStates in terms of taxation. But even that can be subjected to government activity and other factors, and drastic changes (usually drops) are possible.

Source: YouTube, NowThis World
Last edited by He Qixin on Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:17 am

Araneidae wrote:https://www.nationstates.net/nation=araneidae/detail=economy

Our economy consists mainly of Black Market. Therefore tax isn't really relevant when it comes to disposable income. Should this not be taken into account?

The way I see it, in this nation the citizens get most of their disposable income from resale and bartering. Which are outside of the government control.

Well, you could say that the average income currently mentioned represents legitimate income sources, which are highly regulated by the government and massively taxed. Any incomes or trade made on the black market simply won't register against that number, which explains why it is so flat in distribution.

Sounds like you've got a state which is broadly even in wealth distribution and which allows very little private wealth, and then a secret shadow economy that lies entirely in the (criminal) black market, which allows for illegal personal private wealth which is likely as unevenly distributed as any capitalist market system, and which will neither effect your World Census average income nor your disposable income after tax. It's just unregistered income, which neither the government nor the World Census has the capability to measure.

Or in other words: limited simulation, make up your own story.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:24 am

Leondaldal wrote:Uh yeah your not addressing the real problem, my income tax is 75% but my government is 32% of my GDP. This is very unrealistic for example: my real life natoion that I live in is the UK and our average income tax (band 1=20% band 2=40% and the top rate band 3=45%)is much lower than my NS nations rate and the UK government expenditure is 40% of the UK GDP. It is also the same with most other nations. And yes my country does have other taxes like corporation tax (I know this because of issues I have addressed and my general policies).
Yes of course implement it but only after you have fixed the problem of income tax in my nation being 75% and government expenditure being just 32%.

Oh there's plenty of "real problems" in taxation simulation.

Like the absence of deficit spending, the absence of direct simulation of any sort of tax except income tax, and the absence of any effect on your economy or productivity from tax rate. Tax in NS is basically non-consequential, and only has narrative meaning assigned to it, not mechanical meaning. It's an information output, not an input.

These things have been discussed in great depth backstage, and broadly the game remains very limited in its simulation of government income and spending, and paints in very broad strokes. This small change (showing disposable income) was simply one of the easiest changes to implement, so was easiest to make happen.

Broader changes to how the game handles taxation have generally been avoided, partially because it'd more or less involve changing the whole game, and partially because of a word-of-god statement of intent about the purpose of NS, which is not to simulate the minutiae of balancing the books or working economic growth with a sensible tax policy, but rather as a semi-humorous parody simulation of the trials of running a government. You're not meant to have to solve the puzzle to find your way to a working economy, you're meant to make decisions and see what fun things happen to your nation state.

This is me paraphrasing broader conversations by the way, and is probably biased by my recollection of what has been said by various parties.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

LaND oF cReAm pUfFs
Civilian

Founded: Nov 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby LaND oF cReAm pUfFs » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:23 pm

Drasnia wrote:Finally a reason to have a 0% tax rate. Thanks [v]!

Well all of the communist states are getting screwed by this, but I like it! But I do have a 71% tax rate.

American MapleStory
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby American MapleStory » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:00 am

When are these changes being implemented? They have been in beta for quite some time.
Largest Metropolitans In ROM
Henesys
Leafre
Ludi
Perion
Kerning City
Ellinia
Lith Harbor
Nautilius
Ariant
Magatia
El Nath
Rien
Ereve
New Leaf City
Crimsonwood Keep
Orbis
Oros
Cras
Kokonia
Moonplace

DEFCON: 5 4 3 2 1 0
Economic Left/Right: +8.77
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: +3.67

He Qixin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby He Qixin » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:29 pm

Suomenusko Suomi wrote:
Raventsvo wrote:ummm
(Image)

I oppose this change

I feel ya.
From top 100, to nothing.

Perhaps introducing a "Highest Pre-Tax Incomes" statistic could help validate the egos of nations like ours who want to have "high incomes" even with high taxes.

41K standard monetary units is enough to last a year, provided your citizens spend about 100 a day.

The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:53 pm

I support this change.

While we're at it, I suggest capping income taxes at 50% in line with real world and adding two more indices:
- Budget deficit
- Total national debt (accumulates over time, adapt from population algo to save work)
Where are the sins of the world? ? CDT credentials: Confirmed Anglican
Eastern Orthodox almost-Catechumen (OCA) Roman Catholic drop-out (RCIA)
Eight Popes Have Condemned Freemasonry Since 1738Evolution Debunked
L.A.W.S. Of TempledomLatin Vulgate/Douay Rheims/KJVEngland Has Fallen
NationStates: a gargantuan (1k questions and counting) opinion poll to get big data on young people; JCPOA The Good Fight (X2) (It's biblical) NWO! MARK EXPOSED

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical