NATION

PASSWORD

Contradicting Policies

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Odinburgh
Minister

Founded: Jun 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Odinburgh » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:25 am

Orioni 2 wrote:I would be interested in seeing this develop one step further. An overview of leading policies per region. For example, if a majority (2/3 or 3/4) of residing nations supports the same policy, you could say this is a signature policy for the entire region.

Yeah it would be interesting to see that.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:30 am

Tupelope wrote:In my policies page it states that gun ownership is mandatory, but my weaponization is just about 0 in WA rank. How is this possible?

On this one specifically, there's a whole tangle of stats to unpick with weaponisation, gun law and the interactions of freedoms and policies. It's next up on a list of big things to review, and we'll be taking a close look at it.

In other news, violet is making short work of various contradictions in the policy coding, and the game engine is getting smarter by the day. We're not quite at technological singularity yet, but just to warn you, if a robotic-sounding Austrian chap comes visiting and asks if your name is John Connor, you should probably run.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:26 pm

Orioni 2 wrote:I would be interested in seeing this develop one step further. An overview of leading policies per region. For example, if a majority (2/3 or 3/4) of residing nations supports the same policy, you could say this is a signature policy for the entire region.
Or more thouroughly, instead of just picking one cut-off, you could have all policies sorted by the percentage of nations in the region that have them (which would require not sorting them by category like they are on nation pages, of course), allowing policies to be identified as universal, common, rare but still present, completely absent, etc.

We could have one for the world as a whole, too.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:We're not quite at technological singularity yet, but just to warn you, if a robotic-sounding Austrian chap comes visiting and asks if your name is John Connor, you should probably run.
But my name isn't John Connor!

I'd be much more worried if a robot showed up who knows who I am.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:49 am

So, I noticed that there exist policies for "No Drugs" ("All recreational drugs are prohibited."), and also for "Recreational Drugs" ("Recreational drugs may be legally purchased."), but there still exist nations that have neither. What does this mean?

Also, should nations with "Sortition" (which I confirmed is listed as a policy) also get "Autocracy"? While the description of "Autocracy", "The nation does not hold democratic elections.", is technically applicable to these nations, the word "autocracy" itself is not. In fact, sortition is the opposite of autocracy because it appoints people who never did anything to put themselves in power, not even run for office, and so certainly are not ruling solely by self-proclaimed authority.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:35 am

I just happened to notice this on Merconitonitopia:

Child Self-Rearing
Children are left in the wilderness to raise themselves.

Maternity Leave
Mothers of newborn children received paid leave from employment.

...How does that work?

Merconitonitopia
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Merconitonitopia » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:17 am

hey look, its me.

i don't think these are necessarily contradictory. mothers would presumably still care for their children for the few years, as human infants are incredibly hopeless at defending themselves, and would later be kicked out as a rite of passage thing.
there's also the time where the mother is pregnant. all in all plenty of time for her to not have to work.

Leutria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:36 am

I will take it as mothers get leave to take they newborn children into the wilderness :P

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:39 am

Trotterdam wrote:So, I noticed that there exist policies for "No Drugs" ("All recreational drugs are prohibited."), and also for "Recreational Drugs" ("Recreational drugs may be legally purchased."), but there still exist nations that have neither. What does this mean?

Also, should nations with "Sortition" (which I confirmed is listed as a policy) also get "Autocracy"? While the description of "Autocracy", "The nation does not hold democratic elections.", is technically applicable to these nations, the word "autocracy" itself is not. In fact, sortition is the opposite of autocracy because it appoints people who never did anything to put themselves in power, not even run for office, and so certainly are not ruling solely by self-proclaimed authority.

Trotterdam wrote:I just happened to notice this on Merconitonitopia:

Child Self-Rearing
Children are left in the wilderness to raise themselves.

Maternity Leave
Mothers of newborn children received paid leave from employment.

...How does that work?

Bump?

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:10 pm

Sorry, I could have sworn I replied to that.

Maternity Leave & Child Self-Rearing aren't considered to be mutually exclusive, since the leave can begin well before birth, and be aimed at allowing the mother to recuperate, regardless of whether she's also caring for a child.

"Recreational Drugs" was renamed to "Cannabis" to describe more accurately what it's about. Nations with neither the Cannabis nor the No Drugs policy permit some recreational drugs (usually alcohol) but not cannabis.

I see your point about Sortition. The current situation is probably better than renaming Autocracy or making the policies exclusive, since reasonable people can figure out what it means when nations have both.

New Mushroom Kingdom
Minister

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby New Mushroom Kingdom » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:17 pm

[violet] wrote:Sorry, I could have sworn I replied to that.

Maternity Leave & Child Self-Rearing aren't considered to be mutually exclusive, since the leave can begin well before birth, and be aimed at allowing the mother to recuperate, regardless of whether she's also caring for a child.

"Recreational Drugs" was renamed to "Cannabis" to describe more accurately what it's about. Nations with neither the Cannabis nor the No Drugs policy permit some recreational drugs (usually alcohol) but not cannabis.

I see your point about Sortition. The current situation is probably better than renaming Autocracy or making the policies exclusive, since reasonable people can figure out what it means when nations have both.

Doesn't that explanation interact weirdly with the 'Prohibition' policy though? (also, does that mean instead of banning recreational drugs you just ban cannabis? If so, i would regret repealing that policy.)
NationStates Belongs to All, Gameplay, Roleplay, and Nonplay Alike
Every NationStates Community Member, from Raider Kings to Brony Queens Make Us Awesome.

Embassy Request Thread NS section of my wiki-thing Questions?
DEFCON 5. Never forget Z-Day. 1/4/13. 'Corporate Police State' fits just as well as the actual WA category.
There are no magic mushrooms in this nation. Seriously.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:23 pm

New Mushroom Kingdom wrote:Doesn't that explanation interact weirdly with the 'Prohibition' policy though?

How so? That's just another recreational drug that may be legal or not. It's possible to have many different combinations of legality with alcohol, marijuana, and other drugs.

New Mushroom Kingdom wrote:(also, does that mean instead of banning recreational drugs you just ban cannabis? If so, i would regret repealing that policy.)

I'm not sure what you're referring to here. The issue will tell you whether it's about cannabis in particular.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:18 pm

[violet] wrote:Maternity Leave & Child Self-Rearing aren't considered to be mutually exclusive, since the leave can begin well before birth,
In that case, the description, "Mothers of newborn children received paid leave from employment.", should be amended.

[violet] wrote:I see your point about Sortition. The current situation is probably better than renaming Autocracy or making the policies exclusive, since reasonable people can figure out what it means when nations have both.
I feel that it is pointless to display both policies, because there is no such thing as a sortition that does hold elections.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:17 pm

Updated description, thanks.

I'll round up some editor opinion on Sortition.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical