NATION

PASSWORD

Beta 001: Banning Religion affects Religiousness

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Beta 001: Banning Religion affects Religiousness

Postby [violet] » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:57 am

Here is a topic for the first new Beta!

Please use it if you have feedback on this change.

Update: This beta has been implemented.
Last edited by [violet] on Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Protestant Union
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Protestant Union » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:00 pm

> Banning religion in the first place

Absolutely degenerate
Justified by grace alone
Through faith alone
According to scripture alone
In Christ alone
For the glory of God alone

Bedetopia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bedetopia » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:50 pm

Reaching 100% secularism suddenly becomes much easier.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:02 pm

Bedetopia wrote:Reaching 100% secularism suddenly becomes much easier.

In theory or do you have examples?

Bedetopia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bedetopia » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:10 pm

[violet] wrote:
Bedetopia wrote:Reaching 100% secularism suddenly becomes much easier.

In theory or do you have examples?

In theory. It's clear that it becomes exponentially harder the closer you are to 100, but I got a notable boost:

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:14 pm

Thanks. That looks correct to me. You have completely outlawed religious worship, so it should be a noticeable change.

Current Most Secular is Uniserve, who also completely outlaws religious worship, and would rise from 99.46% Atheist to 99.53% under this change. So still not quite 100.00% .

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:48 pm

I think that this is a good change, because religiousness is not exactly the same as spirituality. You can be spiritual but not religious, but a) it’s not easy, and b) the stat is called religiousness. Therefore the change is a logical one.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

United Massachusetts
Minister

Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:56 pm

makes sense to me. No immediately crazy results

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:02 pm

I did find a nation whose atheism would go up 242%- Russki
Actually, a lot of nations I’m finding are having their atheism rate go up by 100%+
Last edited by Fauxia on Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:41 pm

Fauxia wrote:I did find a nation whose atheism would go up 242%- Russki
Actually, a lot of nations I’m finding are having their atheism rate go up by 100%+

This will be the case when the nation hasn't taken any other particularly strong positions on religion -- the act of officially banning (or restricting) religious worship makes more of a difference.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:03 am

Shouldn't the effect of banning religion on Religiousness depend on how high Religiousness was in the first place?
For nations where Religiousness was high, I'd expect the effects of the government trying to outlaw religion being a major surge in public unhappiness with the government rather than most of the people just saying "okay" and changing their views overnight...
Last edited by Bears Armed on Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

The Protestant Union
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Protestant Union » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:46 am

Fauxia wrote:I think that this is a good change, because religiousness is not exactly the same as spirituality. You can be spiritual but not religious, but a) it’s not easy, and b) the stat is called religiousness. Therefore the change is a logical one.

"The spiritual not religious" thing is probably the biggest joke people have come up with recently. By the definition of religion it's not possible, it's just that people wrongfully associate religion with dogma when the dogma depends on the religion. Many Christians today have actually began to reject the term "religious" because Christianity is about Christ and salvation, not legalism. They miss the point that religion is religion if there's law or not.

If it isn't religious it isn't spiritual, if it isn't spiritual then it most certainly isn't religious. Stop trying to redefine terms.
Justified by grace alone
Through faith alone
According to scripture alone
In Christ alone
For the glory of God alone

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:17 pm

Bears Armed wrote:a major surge in public unhappiness with the government rather than most of the people just saying "okay" and changing their views overnight...

NationStates actually operates on the reverse principle. You don't have to pass laws to keep your people happy; instead, their views change to fit your nation's ideals.

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:35 pm

The Protestant Union wrote:If it isn't religious it isn't spiritual, if it isn't spiritual then it most certainly isn't religious. Stop trying to redefine terms.

I disagree. "Spiritual" refers to a belief in and response to non-material phenomena. A religion is an organized body with a particular set of beliefs and spiritual practices. It is quite possible to be spiritual without accepting any particular religion.
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
The Blaatschapen wrote:I'll still graze the forums with my presence
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014

Postby Phydios » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:52 pm

Almonaster Nuevo wrote:
The Protestant Union wrote:If it isn't religious it isn't spiritual, if it isn't spiritual then it most certainly isn't religious. Stop trying to redefine terms.

I disagree. "Spiritual" refers to a belief in and response to non-material phenomena. A religion is an organized body with a particular set of beliefs and spiritual practices. It is quite possible to be spiritual without accepting any particular religion.

I agree. There is a clear difference between believing in something or someone supernatural and believing that it/they ask you to live a certain way or do a certain deed.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:00 pm

[violet] wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:a major surge in public unhappiness with the government rather than most of the people just saying "okay" and changing their views overnight...
NationStates actually operates on the reverse principle. You don't have to pass laws to keep your people happy; instead, their views change to fit your nation's ideals.
There is a Cheerfulness stat, though. So it's possible to make your citizens unhappy. Maybe this is because you're teaching them to be dour laborers who think hedonism is a sin, and they fully agree with this point of view, but they're still not happy.

Bears Armed wrote:Shouldn't the effect of banning religion on Religiousness depend on how high Religiousness was in the first place?
For nations where Religiousness was high, I'd expect the effects of the government trying to outlaw religion being a major surge in public unhappiness with the government rather than most of the people just saying "okay" and changing their views overnight...
Well, [violet] said that this change would make banning religion affect Religiousness, not completely override all other factors. So you could probably still have a nation which banned religion where Religiousness is still high, it'd just be harder than before.

Assuming that "high religiousness despite having banned religion" is indeed a thing that continues to be tracked, it would in principle be possible for that to affect Cheerfulness, but that would be a separate change.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:22 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
[violet] wrote:NationStates actually operates on the reverse principle. You don't have to pass laws to keep your people happy; instead, their views change to fit your nation's ideals.
There is a Cheerfulness stat, though. So it's possible to make your citizens unhappy. Maybe this is because you're teaching them to be dour laborers who think hedonism is a sin, and they fully agree with this point of view, but they're still not happy.

Yes, and it even used to be called "Happiness," because the idea that national leaders should have to pass laws to keep demanding citizens happy is a powerful one, which keeps seeping back in from time to time in different ways. But I try to beat it out wherever I see it.

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:51 pm

Cooperslovakia is a good example for large effects here.
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
The Blaatschapen wrote:I'll still graze the forums with my presence
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

Oceanincs
Civilian

Founded: Sep 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Oceanincs » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:20 pm

[violet] wrote:Here is a topic for the first new Beta!

Please use it if you have feedback on this change.

It confused meeeeee

Bluelight-R006
Senator

Founded: Mar 31, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bluelight-R006 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:34 am

Banning religion affects religiousness?

I think this should be added. If religion is banned, there would be no religion and so would there be no religiousness.

Pandect
Envoy

Founded: Apr 18, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Pandect » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:21 am

Bluelight-R006 wrote:Banning religion affects religiousness?

I think this should be added. If religion is banned, there would be no religion and so would there be no religiousness.

I disagree. Even if Religion is banned, it tends to still exist in pockets of underground movements. There are countless historical examples of religious groups meeting in secret when their religion was outlawed. Not to mention that religion tends to pop up in times of existential crisis for people. People can become religious in a myriad of circumstances and for all sorts of reasons, whether the government allows it or not. It's unlikely that you will ever have 100% atheism.

Wikipedia's definition of religion, by the way, is
"Religion is any cultural system of designated behaviors and practices, world views, texts, sanctified places, ethics, or organizations, that relate humanity to the supernatural or transcendental. Religions relate humanity to what anthropologist Clifford Geertz has referred to as a cosmic "order of existence". However, there is no scholarly consensus over what precisely constitutes a religion"

I would suggest that this ties in religion with spirituality and the two cannot be separated, since it does not merely mean a church or other organised body. Any type of belief that relates to a change in behaviour would constitute religion, and belief is not something that disappears just because the government bans religion.
"It is better to feel bad and do good; than to feel good and do bad." ~ Bill Whittle

Bluelight-R006
Senator

Founded: Mar 31, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bluelight-R006 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:52 am

Pandect wrote:
Bluelight-R006 wrote:Banning religion affects religiousness?

I disagree. Even if Religion is banned, it tends to still exist in pockets of underground movements. There are countless historical examples of religious groups meeting in secret when their religion was outlawed. Not to mention that religion tends to pop up in times of existential crisis for people. People can become religious in a myriad of circumstances and for all sorts of reasons, whether the government allows it or not. It's unlikely that you will ever have 100% atheism.

Wikipedia's definition of religion, by the way, is
"Religion is any cultural system of designated behaviors and practices, world views, texts, sanctified places, ethics, or organizations, that relate humanity to the supernatural or transcendental. Religions relate humanity to what anthropologist Clifford Geertz has referred to as a cosmic "order of existence". However, there is no scholarly consensus over what precisely constitutes a religion"

I would suggest that this ties in religion with spirituality and the two cannot be separated, since it does not merely mean a church or other organised body. Any type of belief that relates to a change in behaviour would constitute religion, and belief is not something that disappears just because the government bans religion.

I agree. But they could soon later be found out. Or could be known. Such was the case for JW. They were banned in several countries, yet they still exist. But their local authorities do know and sometimes take care of it. So yes, banning religion would not ban the whole thing but would affect severely.
Last edited by Bluelight-R006 on Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doompeiion
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Doompeiion » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:53 am

well i do like the idea of banning religion affecting religiousness i don't think it would get rid of it completely but should make policy outcomes affect it a more hyperbolic way

Southern Southerland
Civilian

Founded: Sep 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Southern Southerland » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:19 pm

Banning religion should definitely decrease religiousness: indoctrination among young people would become much rarer. But it shouldn't make the nation 100% secular. There will always be some who hold on to their beliefs.

Merconitonitopia
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Merconitonitopia » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:30 pm

Southern Southerland wrote:Banning religion should definitely decrease religiousness: indoctrination among young people would become much rarer. But it shouldn't make the nation 100% secular. There will always be some who hold on to their beliefs.

doesn't. decreasing it avg. about 50%.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical