NATION

PASSWORD

Silence Nations

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
The Noble Thatcherites
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 03, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Silence Nations

Postby The Noble Thatcherites » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:51 am

I don't know how hard this would be to implement, but I thought that this idea was worth sharing and discussing.

The ability to silence a nation from posting on the RMB. This would make moderating a region's RMB much easier. Some posts are worth suppressing, but they aren't worth a ban. There needs to be a middle category: silencing a nation.

Just today I had to talk to two people (https://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=27480239 & https://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=27481218) regarding their conduct on the RMB. It would be wonderful if nations with the same ability to suppress messages (Appearance I think?) could silence nations from posting rather than ejecting the nation or suppressing every single message.
Last edited by [violet] on Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
—Thatcher Whitehall
Kanglia wrote:Thatcher. Wants. As. Little. To. Do. With. You. All. As. Possible.
Résumé
The Union of Democratic States
Citizen and Founder
Prime Minister (x1)
Motion(s) Passed (x15)
Ambassador (x21)
Publisher for The Union Post (x5)
Constitutional Framer (x4)
The Free Nations Region
Citizen and Legislator
Justice (x1)
Motion(s) Passed (1x)
The Allied States
Citizen
Senator (x1)
FORGE
Representative (x4)
Chancellor (x1)
ITDA
Founder
Representative (x1)
Secretary General (x1)
Charter Author (x2)
Court of International Law and Justice
Foreign Affairs Justice (x1)
Europeia
Citizen and Assemblyman (x1)
The South Pacific
Citizen
SPSF Recruit (x1)

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:52 pm

Mods can ban players from RMB posting for periods short through permanent. We do it only for repeated rulebreaking, not just because people are tired of hearing from them. I'm not seeing added value from offering that service to players.

Edit: specifically breaking game rules. If your region has more restrictive rules, that's your region's problem.
Last edited by Frisbeeteria on Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Noble Thatcherites
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 03, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Noble Thatcherites » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:18 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:Mods can ban players from RMB posting for periods short through permanent. We do it only for repeated rulebreaking, not just because people are tired of hearing from them. I'm not seeing added value from offering that service to players.

Edit: specifically breaking game rules. If your region has more restrictive rules, that's your region's problem.
Ahh. Okay. Thank you for the feedback! :)
—Thatcher Whitehall
Kanglia wrote:Thatcher. Wants. As. Little. To. Do. With. You. All. As. Possible.
Résumé
Citizen and Founder
Prime Minister (x1)
Motion(s) Passed (x15)
Ambassador (x21)
Publisher for The Union Post (x5)
Constitutional Framer (x4)
The Free Nations Region
Citizen and Legislator
Justice (x1)
Motion(s) Passed (1x)
The Allied States
Citizen
Senator (x1)
FORGE
Representative (x4)
Chancellor (x1)
ITDA
Founder
Representative (x1)
Secretary General (x1)
Charter Author (x2)
Court of International Law and Justice
Foreign Affairs Justice (x1)
Europeia
Citizen and Assemblyman (x1)
The South Pacific
Citizen
SPSF Recruit (x1)

United German Regions
Envoy

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby United German Regions » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:10 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:Mods can ban players from RMB posting for periods short through permanent. We do it only for repeated rulebreaking, not just because people are tired of hearing from them. I'm not seeing added value from offering that service to players.

Wouldn't allowing region's to have control over the issue solve the "That's your region's problem"? This seems to be a common issue sometimes, its considered the region's problem but that doesn't mean regions have an appropriate way to address such a problem. Introducing more methods for regions to control themselves would allow a heavier gameplay experience, UCRs are designed to be run by players and should allow more regional government control. If players residing in a region have an issue with being silenced they have the option to move regions, which helps further the idea of government limitations before the people retaliate in either a protest matter or by leaving and causing the region to fall apart. I would also like to add that silencing should not be allowed in GCRs to allow players a "safe space" from such government enforcement, same as players have a space away from bans (TRRs). I hope such a topic could be reconsidered as NationStates is only bettered by enhancing player's experience with not just their own nation but their region. I would love to see more effort put towards regions not focused on R/D Gameplay. ROs has been the best improvement to regions since I came around but other than that, nothing major seems to have happened to regions that effects residents and their regional governments.
Founder of The Insane Region/Founder of The Embassy/Raider for few/Defender for all/International Contender/Conqueror of The Black Riders
I stand against CAIN
Pro: USA, Democracy, Military, Freedom, Fox News, Second Amendment, #AllLivesMatter, Racial Equality, Gender Equality, #BlueLivesMatter
Anti: Fascism, WA Security Council, Religious Extremism, The Nightly Show, #BlackLivesMatter, Segregation, Hillary Clinton, Heavy Feminism

United German Regions is supplying medical aid to numerous nations recovering from war | UGR investigators discovered the presence of slavery in Cresenthia to manufacture teddy bears | The leader of UGR has just eaten a samich

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:32 am

United German Regions wrote:Wouldn't allowing region's to have control over the issue solve the "That's your region's problem"?

Wouldn't it be abused by raiders, to silence native resistance?
Last edited by Bears Armed on Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

United German Regions
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby United German Regions » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:55 am

Bears Armed wrote:
United German Regions wrote:Wouldn't allowing region's to have control over the issue solve the "That's your region's problem"?

Wouldn't it be abused by raiders, to silence native resistance?

Add a time delay to it as is on region wide telegrams, which means tag raids wouldn't really have access, only for occupations which can count as a change in government. Governments in real life have the ability to silence speech and/or resistance, why not offer the same to regional governments.
Founder of The Insane Region/Founder of The Embassy/Raider for few/Defender for all/International Contender/Conqueror of The Black Riders
I stand against CAIN
Pro: USA, Democracy, Military, Freedom, Fox News, Second Amendment, #AllLivesMatter, Racial Equality, Gender Equality, #BlueLivesMatter
Anti: Fascism, WA Security Council, Religious Extremism, The Nightly Show, #BlackLivesMatter, Segregation, Hillary Clinton, Heavy Feminism

United German Regions is supplying medical aid to numerous nations recovering from war | UGR investigators discovered the presence of slavery in Cresenthia to manufacture teddy bears | The leader of UGR has just eaten a samich

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:40 am

Or we could just leave it like it is, since Official Site Policy is "let them speak, and let them argue". If admin had wanted a silencing option, it would have been built in to the Suppress feature. Instead, we went with the "suppress=spoiler" version, which doesn't allow those in power to completely silence those who speak in opposition.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:37 am

United German Regions wrote:Add a time delay to it as is on region wide telegrams, which means tag raids wouldn't really have access, only for occupations which can count as a change in government. Governments in real life have the ability to silence speech and/or resistance, why not offer the same to regional governments.

:eyebrow:
Potential conquerors in RL have to worry about casualties, economic costs, and so on, and can't just blithely swan off to their next target if repulsed in one place: Why give NS invaders the same benefits that RL ones have when they don't face the same problems too?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

Founded: Mar 31, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:51 am

There is already a way to keep a nation from posting on a regional message board: ban it from the region.
To Serve and Protect: UDL

Eluvatar - Taijitu member

Argentinstan
Minister

Founded: Feb 26, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Argentinstan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:38 am

This feature I think would help the ability of regional officers to administer the region. In Munich region I’ve set up a warning system then an RMB ban system but the RMB ban must be done manually, in such suppressing posts.

Plus this feature will enable quick RMB bans on specific nations which is time-saving and convient since sometimes no one will be on NS to do the suppression.
A United Nations of Earthlings member state. Former Prime Minister.
Embassy Program l Bank of the Atlantic l Air Argentine l Argentinstan City Int'l Airport l Guide to Storefronts l Issues l City/County/State/Territory Websites
Telegram Me

Argentinstan is a constitutional monarchy representative democracy led by King Menem III and President Elijah Turner.

United German Regions
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby United German Regions » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:42 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:Or we could just leave it like it is, since Official Site Policy is "let them speak, and let them argue". If admin had wanted a silencing option, it would have been built in to the Suppress feature. Instead, we went with the "suppress=spoiler" version, which doesn't allow those in power to completely silence those who speak in opposition.

Though, real life countries have the ability to silence opposition, if I were a dictator I could just imprison anybody who speaks out. The suppression thing is already useless as is. The idea of opposition would still exist to a degree as nations can speak out when they believe unjust punishment has occurred.
Bears Armed wrote:
United German Regions wrote:Add a time delay to it as is on region wide telegrams, which means tag raids wouldn't really have access, only for occupations which can count as a change in government. Governments in real life have the ability to silence speech and/or resistance, why not offer the same to regional governments.

:eyebrow:
Potential conquerors in RL have to worry about casualties, economic costs, and so on, and can't just blithely swan off to their next target if repulsed in one place: Why give NS invaders the same benefits that RL ones have when they don't face the same problems too?

As I said, invaders would only be able to use this in an occupation where most of the resistance is organized through telegrams anyways.
Eluvatar wrote:There is already a way to keep a nation from posting on a regional message board: ban it from the region.

Thats a hard jump though, as Argentinstan said, regions typically enforce their own forms but a formal version would help.
I stand against CAIN

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:48 am

United German Regions wrote:Though, real life countries have the ability to silence opposition,
Not very effectively.

United German Regions
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby United German Regions » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:52 am

Trotterdam wrote:
United German Regions wrote:Though, real life countries have the ability to silence opposition,
Not very effectively.

I don't know, North Korea seems to effectively silence opposition.
I stand against CAIN

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical