NATION

PASSWORD

Communications Officer Editing Abilities

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
ABC
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Communications Officer Editing Abilities

Postby ABC » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:09 am

I propose that communications officers in all regions be given the power to edit RMB Posts as well as being able to suppress them.

Take for example this RMB Post in TNP.

Though it is very helpful, it still quotes the original offending post.

If Communications Officers could remove this from the post, they could keep the helpful input but get rid of the link from the offending post.
Last edited by ABC on Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:22 am

This would be very easy to abuse. My feeling is that the potential for abuse outweighs the benefit.

As of now, nobody, including mods, can edit another player's RMB posts. We've talked about giving mods the ability to do so, so that we could remove rule-breaking material without suppressing the whole post.

However, if we grant that power to anyone -- whether it's mods or COs or whatever -- we need to have a way to log who edited what. If you or I go and edit someone else's post to say something offensive like, "Gas the Jews," there needs to be a paper trail so the original poster does not get blamed for our edit. I don't think any of the current mod team would do something like that, but it was still decided that we would need an edit log.

The need to log everything makes it more work to code.

Allowing regional officers to edit posts would make logging even more essential, since regional drama is a thing. Some officers would use it responsibly in the manner you described, but others would use it in other ways.

It would also raise some other concerns. If a raid hits and the raiders suppress a bunch of posts, you can unsuppress them and get your RMB back once the raiders are gone. If a raid hits and the raiders edit a bunch of posts, replacing the original content with their own propaganda, there is no way to retrieve the original content when the raiders are gone.

Even if we took steps to protect against raid-editing, native officers who abuse their power could still cause some really ugly regional drama.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Cresenthia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 03, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cresenthia » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:09 pm

USS Monitor wrote:This would be very easy to abuse. My feeling is that the potential for abuse outweighs the benefit.

As of now, nobody, including mods, can edit another player's RMB posts. We've talked about giving mods the ability to do so, so that we could remove rule-breaking material without suppressing the whole post.

However, if we grant that power to anyone -- whether it's mods or COs or whatever -- we need to have a way to log who edited what. If you or I go and edit someone else's post to say something offensive like, "Gas the Jews," there needs to be a paper trail so the original poster does not get blamed for our edit. I don't think any of the current mod team would do something like that, but it was still decided that we would need an edit log.

The need to log everything makes it more work to code.

Allowing regional officers to edit posts would make logging even more essential, since regional drama is a thing. Some officers would use it responsibly in the manner you described, but others would use it in other ways.

It would also raise some other concerns. If a raid hits and the raiders suppress a bunch of posts, you can unsuppress them and get your RMB back once the raiders are gone. If a raid hits and the raiders edit a bunch of posts, replacing the original content with their own propaganda, there is no way to retrieve the original content when the raiders are gone.

Even if we took steps to protect against raid-editing, native officers who abuse their power could still cause some really ugly regional drama.

Has the possibility of showing the original post somewhere been brought up? Perhaps by clicking the edited timestamp, it might also show previous versions of the same post, but I of course have no idea how technologically feasible or infeasible that would be.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:27 pm

Cresenthia wrote:Has the possibility of showing the original post somewhere been brought up?

Yes. Maintaining an edit history would be a significant alteration of the RMB code. It's not currently preserved, so we'd have to add an entirely new bit of code. It's not that high a priority to justify the admins spending loads of time on it..

ABC
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby ABC » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:52 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Cresenthia wrote:Has the possibility of showing the original post somewhere been brought up?

Yes. Maintaining an edit history would be a significant alteration of the RMB code. It's not currently preserved, so we'd have to add an entirely new bit of code. It's not that high a priority to justify the admins spending loads of time on it..

True, but it wouldn't be too different from how suppressed posts can be expanded to see their text. I'm saying this without knowing much about the NS Code so this is just a guess.

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:29 pm

ABC wrote:
Frisbeeteria wrote:Yes. Maintaining an edit history would be a significant alteration of the RMB code. It's not currently preserved, so we'd have to add an entirely new bit of code. It's not that high a priority to justify the admins spending loads of time on it..

True, but it wouldn't be too different from how suppressed posts can be expanded to see their text. I'm saying this without knowing much about the NS Code so this is just a guess.

How is hidden text "not too different" from nonexistent text? The implementation of an edit history might look similar to the suppression feature, but the problem is writing code to store that edit history. That's what Fris said.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:56 am

USS Monitor wrote:Even if we took steps to protect against raid-editing, native officers who abuse their power could still cause some really ugly regional drama.

Deletions do that now. There was some chap in the Europe RMB who said something offensive, was quoted, deleted it, and then proceeded to claim that the person who quoted it made it up as part of a conspiracy against him. Adding more ability to make things like that happen seems to me, a bad plan.

Where things are suppressed and quoted, I've defaulted to suppressing posts which quote suppressed posts. Not entirely elegant, but certainly, I think, better than opening editing powers which could easily be abused.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical