NATION

PASSWORD

Automatic welcome telegram not working.

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Bruthannia
Secretary

Founded: Jul 10, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Automatic welcome telegram not working.

Postby Bruthannia » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:38 am

Other members of The Independent Order have made it known to me recently that nobody joining the region is getting the welcome telegram; I verified it with nations that should get the telegram, deleted and reinstated it, and tried again with a new nation, and it's still not happening. Any idea what's wrong?
Founder, Head of State and Grand Chancellor of The Independent Order

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

Founded: Mar 31, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:50 pm

I have no idea why Big Bonnani does not appear to have received your welcome TG. Romanian Germany however does appear to have gotten it.
To Serve and Protect: UDL

Eluvatar - Taijitu member

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:08 pm

This has been reported so often, I'm pretty sure there's a bug somewhere that means that certain nations don't get welcome TGs when they should under certain circumstances.

The problem is I have no idea what those circumstances are, because it always works fine when I test it. There are also lots of circumstances in which a nation quite rightly shouldn't get a welcome TG upon entering a region (e.g. it has influence there).

We probably need to add a ton of logging to figure out exactly what's going on.

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:39 am

[violet] wrote:We probably need to add a ton of logging to figure out exactly what's going on.

Done, I hope. Let's see if we can figure this out the next time it happens.

Vaultmoras
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Vaultmoras » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:53 am

Well I've got another case for you then, this nation received the welcome telegram from the feeder it was born in, but didn't get one from The Order of the Grey Wardens when I moved it there.

Edit: Just moved to a bunch of regions this nation has never been to, no welcome TG from any of them.
Last edited by Vaultmoras on Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:00 am

Vaultmoras wrote:Well I've got another case for you then, this nation received the welcome telegram from the feeder it was born in, but didn't get one from The Order of the Grey Wardens when I moved it there.

Thanks, this will be looked at!

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:11 pm

No such luck. I've added even more logging.

Unless I'm missing something, it seems Vaultmoras is particularly susceptible: would you mind trying again?

Edit: Actually, following up on a hunch, I was able to reproduce the bug. We've fixed the bug I was able to reproduce. Could you please confirm that it's fixed now? (At least, for Vaultmoras).
Last edited by Eluvatar on Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Vaultmoras
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Vaultmoras » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:21 pm

Moved to Texas, got a welcome TG will try to blast a bunch more moves out when I get on a computer just to make sure.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:53 am

Vaultmoras wrote:Moved to Texas, got a welcome TG will try to blast a bunch more moves out when I get on a computer just to make sure.

Can you include International Democratic Union in that moving, please, and let us know whether you get the TG there?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Makeracke
Civilian

Founded: Aug 10, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Makeracke » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:19 am

This nation (with which Eluvatar would have expected to reproduce the bug if it were still around) received a welcoming telegram from Bears Armed when it moved to International Democratic Union.

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:46 am

For the record, I believe the whole of the story here is that instead of nations with influence in the arrival region alone getting no welcome telegram, nations with any influence anywhere were not getting a welcome telegram. The influence check on arrival has been made consistent with other influence checks, and the underlying reason why it was returning inconsistent information should be fixed as well.

Brand new nations, not having any influence anywhere, were getting welcome telegrams before -- which is probably why this was an occasional rather than a constant complaint.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:27 am

Makeracke wrote:This nation (with which Eluvatar would have expected to reproduce the bug if it were still around) received a welcoming telegram from Bears Armed when it moved to International Democratic Union.

Thank you.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Bruthannia
Secretary

Founded: Jul 10, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bruthannia » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:09 pm

I believe it's working for us again. Thank you!
Founder, Head of State and Grand Chancellor of The Independent Order

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:59 pm

Nice work, Elu.

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:38 pm

[violet] wrote:Nice work, Elu.

Thanks!

I did it all by myself /s

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:01 am

Makeracke wrote:This nation (with which Eluvatar would have expected to reproduce the bug if it were still around) received a welcoming telegram from Bears Armed when it moved to International Democratic Union.

1 day ago: Makeracke ceased to exist.

:(

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:45 am

Bears Armed wrote:

I was just testing you :P

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:22 am

Eluvatar wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:

I was just testing you :P

Still testing urrs?
:blink:
9 hours ago: Makeracke ceased to exist.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical