NATION

PASSWORD

Incorrect -s pluralization & Headline corrections

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:10 am

I prefer leaving it alone if it already ends in "s."
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:16 am

[violet] wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:Has it been tested on 'goldilocks' yet?

Yes, in the post two above yours.

Oops! Thank you. I didn't scroll that list down far enough...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:47 pm

In general, I'm seeing the new one as an improvement.

I think any parser is going to struggle with loan words. I wouldn't expect to see octopodes, colossi and haiku as plurals unless they supplied a pretty huge list of exceptions. Does either of them get sheep and geese right?

I know that plurals crop up in other contexts, but for the currency would it be possible to allow players to select both forms, similar to the demonyms?
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
The Blaatschapen wrote:I'll still graze the forums with my presence
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:12 pm

Almonaster Nuevo wrote:I think any parser is going to struggle with loan words. I wouldn't expect to see octopodes, colossi and haiku as plurals unless they supplied a pretty huge list of exceptions. Does either of them get sheep and geese right?

Both of them do have a long list of exceptions. They're good for practically all English words, including all the ones you mention. The issue is made-up words that we think should be pluralized differently, like "lats" from the OP, which the current parser pluralizes as "latss."

Almonaster Nuevo wrote:I know that plurals crop up in other contexts, but for the currency would it be possible to allow players to select both forms, similar to the demonyms?

I'm not looking to add that as this time, no.
Last edited by [violet] on Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:43 pm

USS Monitor wrote:I prefer leaving it alone if it already ends in "s."
Annnd I guess that was inevitable.

I doubt we're going to be able to make everyone happy without having a custom currency plural field like we have for demonyms.

My opinion is on the record, as are several other people's. (Though I don't recall Bears Armed actually saying what the plural of "goldilocks" is supposed to be...)

I can at least say that pluralizing "xxxs" as "xxxs", while not my preferred approach, is at least arguably correct, whereas pluralizing "xxxs" as "xxxss" is unambiguously wrong.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:23 am

Trotterdam wrote:(Though I don't recall Bears Armed actually saying what the plural of "goldilocks" is supposed to be...)

To be honest, apart from being sure that it isn't "goldilockss", I haven't completely made up my mind on that point. I suspect that different regional dialects of Urso-English might disagree with each other on the matter... "goldilocks", with just the one 's' that the singular form already has, will do well enough.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:59 pm

I decided to stick with the current parser because it presents less of a maintenance hassle, and try to work around its failings. As a result, words like "lats" and "waltz" should now be pluralized less strangely.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical