NATION

PASSWORD

Max unaddressed Issue increase?

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:52 pm

Trotterdam wrote:[...] which implies that this is a soft limit (there is a specific line of code telling the game not to add more issues even though it easily could, and changing the limit is a simple matter of changing this one line) rather than a hard one (the game can only track 5 unanswered issues and it would take a major reworking of the code to allow it to handle more this).

It's the first one: There's no technical problem with a nation holding more than 5 issues.

Your proposal is that we should remove a line of code that currently blocks the issue scheduler from running if the nation is already full of issues. My logic there was that there's no point scheduling delivery that probably won't succeed. But, as you say, it may be better to schedule anyway and then go ahead and fail at the actual delivery time if the nation is still full, since that gives you more opportunity to clear out some space.

The only (minor) downside I can see is it'd be a little confusing to have very different outcomes depending on whether you happen to clear out space just before or just after that scheduled delivery: if you get in just before, your next issue arrives on time, but if you do it just after, you have to wait for another six hours. But it still seems worth doing.

e: And done.
Last edited by [violet] on Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Goldenmouth
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 08, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Goldenmouth » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:20 pm

[violet] wrote:But it still seems worth doing.

So the limit has been increased? What is it now?
Last edited by Goldenmouth on Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:45 pm

[violet] wrote:e: And done.
Thanks!

I often cut it close, so even one more issue leeway makes a big difference.

Goldenmouth wrote:So the limit has been increased? What is it now?
My understanding of that post is that the nominal limit hasn't been increased (it's still 5), but the timer behavior has been changed so you only get delayed when the game tries to add a 6th issue and fails, rather than as soon as it adds a 5th issue - essentially raising the "effective" safe unaddressed issue limit from 4 to 5 (and making the behavior closer to what it was before the faster issues update).

Bedetopia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bedetopia » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:47 am

[violet] wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:[...] which implies that this is a soft limit (there is a specific line of code telling the game not to add more issues even though it easily could, and changing the limit is a simple matter of changing this one line) rather than a hard one (the game can only track 5 unanswered issues and it would take a major reworking of the code to allow it to handle more this).

It's the first one: There's no technical problem with a nation holding more than 5 issues.

Your proposal is that we should remove a line of code that currently blocks the issue scheduler from running if the nation is already full of issues. My logic there was that there's no point scheduling delivery that probably won't succeed. But, as you say, it may be better to schedule anyway and then go ahead and fail at the actual delivery time if the nation is still full, since that gives you more opportunity to clear out some space.

The only (minor) downside I can see is it'd be a little confusing to have very different outcomes depending on whether you happen to clear out space just before or just after that scheduled delivery: if you get in just before, your next issue arrives on time, but if you do it just after, you have to wait for another six hours. But it still seems worth doing.

Cool. Should the timer be displayed with 5 issues in the inbox now that it matters?

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:51 pm

No, I think that would incorrectly imply that the player could do nothing and another issue would arrive.

Previous

Return to Technical