NATION

PASSWORD

Multiple Regional Polls

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Breezelandia
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Multiple Regional Polls

Postby Breezelandia » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:08 pm

As a member of a region that uses the poll feature to pass legislation, the number one reoccurring problem I have seen has been how there can only be 1 active poll at a time. Because of this, a queue of resolutions build up or things get put on the back burner for elections or more important bills. I believe it would be more efficient and simple if regions could hold more than 1 poll at a time.
Last edited by [violet] on Thu May 04, 2017 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Breezelandia
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Breezelandia » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:19 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:You can always use offsite polling tools like http://www.strawpoll.me/ (which I just randomly Googled). Some of them actually have better puppet protection than we offer.

Well, I figured we could use something offsite, but most of the members in my region only play during schooldays because that's where they have access to the Internet (we live in a rural area) and all of the nations in our region are controlled by people I go to school with.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon May 01, 2017 4:41 am

Breezelandia wrote:
Frisbeeteria wrote:You can always use offsite polling tools like http://www.strawpoll.me/ (which I just randomly Googled). Some of them actually have better puppet protection than we offer.

Well, I figured we could use something offsite, but most of the members in my region only play during schooldays because that's where they have access to the Internet (we live in a rural area) and all of the nations in our region are controlled by people I go to school with.

Then why not do the polls 'live', rather than online? Just give each player a ballot paper...
Last edited by Bears Armed on Mon May 01, 2017 4:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Breezelandia
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Breezelandia » Mon May 01, 2017 5:46 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Breezelandia wrote:Well, I figured we could use something offsite, but most of the members in my region only play during schooldays because that's where they have access to the Internet (we live in a rural area) and all of the nations in our region are controlled by people I go to school with.

Then why not do the polls 'live', rather than online? Just give each player a ballot paper...

That's also a great idea, but all of us have different classes, we all just play NationStates occasionally throughout the day. I said the most efficient and simplest way to go about doing this would just be to hold multiple polls concurrently. It's great that the polls feature is there, but it needs to update to accommodate regions which conduct democratic elections/voting periods frequently. It holds up role-playing and we shouldn't have to go offsite to do something that should've been added long ago.

My situation with my region is different that a lot of peoples, it's more simple. I can't imagine trying to pass legislation in large regions whose members are from all around the world, that's why legislation is usually voted on over multiple days (similar to WA voting periods), to get the most amount of participants.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Mon May 01, 2017 9:41 am

Breezelandia wrote:My situation with my region is different that a lot of peoples, it's more simple.

All the more reason to not spend our limited coding time resolving a problem that only a single player has requested. You've been given viable offsite alternatives. No one else has positively commented. Let's move on.

Conservative Values
Envoy

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Conservative Values » Mon May 01, 2017 10:05 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Breezelandia wrote:My situation with my region is different that a lot of peoples, it's more simple.

All the more reason to not spend our limited coding time resolving a problem that only a single player has requested. You've been given viable offsite alternatives. No one else has positively commented. Let's move on.

A quick search of the tech forum shows this has definitely been requested by more than a single player. It seems to be a frequent suggestion.

I would like to see it, though admittedly not as much as I'd like to see other things. I'm quite sure my region would use it, as we also try to operate on-site.

United German Regions
Envoy

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby United German Regions » Mon May 01, 2017 10:09 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:

I think the addition of numerous polls could quite add the the NS environment, I would imagine on site participation would be encouraged. The usage of multiple polls at once would likely increase the usage/demand for such a feature as well. It also could be set up to not overfill the page by having one 'Main' poll and below it links to other active polls (or something that grabs attention). The recent polls could just be replaced with a link to the regions list of past polls.
Founder of The Insane Region/Founder of The Embassy/Raider for few/Defender for all/International Contender/Conqueror of The Black Riders
I stand against CAIN
Pro: USA, Democracy, Military, Freedom, Fox News, Second Amendment, #AllLivesMatter, Racial Equality, Gender Equality, #BlueLivesMatter
Anti: Fascism, WA Security Council, Religious Extremism, The Nightly Show, #BlackLivesMatter, Segregation, Hillary Clinton, Heavy Feminism

United German Regions is supplying medical aid to numerous nations recovering from war | UGR investigators discovered the presence of slavery in Cresenthia to manufacture teddy bears | The leader of UGR has just eaten a samich

Raionitu
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 06, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Raionitu » Mon May 01, 2017 6:04 pm

I think this would honestly be a good idea. There are some regions who vote on legislation and such through polls, so this would increase their governmental capacity. Also, some regions do regional RP's through polls, so they could have more than one going, or be able to deal with important regional stuff without disrupting role play
Koth wrote:you guys are cool, like lately ive been watching the overal state of the raider world and been like,"ew", but you guys are very not ew
Reppy wrote:Swearing is just fucking fine on this goddamn fucking forum.
Aguaria Major wrote:The Black Hawks is essentially a regional equivalent of Heath Ledger's Joker: they just want to watch the world burn
Frisbeeteria wrote:Please stop.Please.
Souls wrote:Hi, I'm Souls. Have you embraced our lord and savior , Piling yet?
Souls wrote:Note to self: Watch out for Rai in my bedroom
Altinsane wrote:Me, about every suspiciously helpful newb I meet: "It's probably Rai."
Lord Dominator wrote:Koth is a drunken alternate personality of yours

Breezelandia
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Breezelandia » Wed May 03, 2017 9:55 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:

It's more simple because I personally know everyone who votes in my region, and I can track them down IRL to get a vote. I won't deny the viable offsite options, but I will also not deny the fact that that removes roleplay value from the region. We shouldn't be forced to use two websites for something simple like polls, which should be onsite. So, I will continue to stand by my claims for creating multiple regional polls at the same time. Also, its not just me that wants this, just look at the comments here.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical