NATION

PASSWORD

Option to self release name

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Right-Wing _America
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Right-Wing _America » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:23 pm

USS Monitor wrote:Email verification is a nuisance. This is why I am not in the WA.

I'm curious as to why you think email verification is a nuisance. I have to do it on dozens of sites and it takes me a whopping 60 seconds max of my time. For the small amount of time involved for the people using the system, the additional security and verification it adds seem very cost effective.

Now implementation might be a bit more difficult, but since the WA already has such a system it clearly isn't impossible and the benefits must outweigh the costs.

In relation to nation name release, the best option in my view would be to add a checkbox inside of settings. You click it and once your nation CTEs after 28 days (or 60 if vacation mode is enabled) it is added back to the pool of available nations, regardless of existing release terms. (i.e population and 5 years) Add a further check by enabling email verification within 24 hrs for the change to take effect. That way if you want to give the nation up you can, if you change your mind you have 28 or 60 days to change your mind. If you don't, you just don't enable it. I think the email verification isn't necessarily required but it would help ease concern from parties concerned about malicious use of the "optional nation name release".

The thing about this conversation is it easily finds itself questioning the existing nation name release terms. I think those need to be overhauled to reflect the increasing length of time the game has been in play but we shouldn't confuse the two issues as it only makes the debate more complicated. This is really an addition/exception to the current rules and not an overhaul of the entire system.
Last edited by Right-Wing _America on Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NSTracker Chief Communications Officer
The Conservative Coalition Steward & Chief Forum Admin

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:19 pm

Right-Wing _America wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:Email verification is a nuisance. This is why I am not in the WA.

I'm curious as to why you think email verification is a nuisance. I have to do it on dozens of sites and it takes me a whopping 60 seconds max of my time. For the small amount of time involved for the people using the system, the additional security and verification it adds seem very cost effective.

Now implementation might be a bit more difficult, but since the WA already has such a system it clearly isn't impossible and the benefits must outweigh the costs.

In relation to nation name release, the best option in my view would be to add a checkbox inside of settings. You click it and once your nation CTEs after 28 days (or 60 if vacation mode is enabled) it is added back to the pool of available nations, regardless of existing release terms. (i.e population and 5 years) Add a further check by enabling email verification within 24 hrs for the change to take effect. That way if you want to give the nation up you can, if you change your mind you have 28 or 60 days to change your mind. If you don't, you just don't enable it. I think the email verification isn't necessarily required but it would help ease concern from parties concerned about malicious use of the "optional nation name release".

The thing about this conversation is it easily finds itself questioning the existing nation name release terms. I think those need to be overhauled to reflect the increasing length of time the game has been in play but we shouldn't confuse the two issues as it only makes the debate more complicated. This is really an addition/exception to the current rules and not an overhaul of the entire system.

WA has email verification on something that people do for their own benefit. People are willing to go through the hassle because they want to use the WA.

Releasing your puppets' names has no benefit to you. It's only something that you would do as a courtesy for other players. Because of this, I think people's tolerance for inconvenience will be lower.

The fact that you have 28 days to change your mind before the nation CTEs means it's already difficult to abuse.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Lockdownn
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lockdownn » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:55 am

Luziyca wrote:
Lockdownn wrote:Who would wait ten years for a name to be released? Keep it to five as that's reasonable.

People have been known to return five-ten years from when they CTE.

If they want their name back after voluntarily releasing it then it's their fault if it's not available anymore.

Leutria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:35 am

The problem I am see with this, which is particularly more troublesome if it is released right after CTE is there will almost certainly be people complaining to moderation after their nation name is taken by someone else that "They never pressed it", "They didn't know that button would actually let someone else take their nation after it CTEs", or of course, "My little brother must have checked that box and I didn't notice". These would all be an argument in favour of making it take longer for the name to release, for e-mail confirmation, or of course for not doing this at all.

I still think this would be a decent idea and I would releace some of my own puppets but...I do see it creating more complaints for the mods to deal with.
Last edited by Leutria on Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Switzo-Polish Republic
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Switzo-Polish Republic » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:40 am

I would love that Idea! It would allow me to reuse puppet names, and allow me some more freedom of name choice! This idea has my support! We should Mass email max Barry
1 - Life Ending War
2 - Major/World/Universal War
3 - Switzo-Polish Forces Deployed
4 - Tension Risen, Switzo-Polish Defense Forces on Alert
5 - Peacetime<--
Political Score:
Economic Left/Right: -2.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.31
The Batavia wrote:I don't like sand.

Founding-Member of Nationstates Air Transport Association

Lesser Switzo-Poland and me are the same person.
Please, call me Switzo.

Kitzerland
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Kitzerland » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:43 am

Switzo-Polish Republic wrote:I would love that Idea! It would allow me to reuse puppet names, and allow me some more freedom of name choice! This idea has my support! We should Mass email max Barry

That is a terrible idea.

However, I do think that it would be a good idea for a checkbox.
terrible takes plz ignore

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:52 am

Leutria wrote: "They never pressed it",

Are you sure you want to release your nation name for use after this nation ceases to exist?

[X]Yes
[ ]No

Leutria wrote: "They didn't know that button would actually let someone else take their nation after it CTEs"

Warning: Checking this box will make your nation name available for use after your nation ceases to exist.

Leutria wrote: "My little brother must have checked that box and I didn't notice"

Someone earlier suggested putting up a massive warning on every single page when logged in as a nation with the box checked.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Leutria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:29 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:Someone earlier suggested putting up a massive warning on every single page when logged in as a nation with the box checked.

Actually, I think that would deal with most of the expected headaches/people having been stupid I was thinking of.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:41 pm

Switzo-Polish Republic wrote:We should Mass email max Barry

Please don't.
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Switzo-Polish Republic
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Switzo-Polish Republic » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:17 am

Okay. Just an idea.
1 - Life Ending War
2 - Major/World/Universal War
3 - Switzo-Polish Forces Deployed
4 - Tension Risen, Switzo-Polish Defense Forces on Alert
5 - Peacetime<--
Political Score:
Economic Left/Right: -2.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.31
The Batavia wrote:I don't like sand.

Founding-Member of Nationstates Air Transport Association

Lesser Switzo-Poland and me are the same person.
Please, call me Switzo.

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:40 am

I'd gladly release a couple of my nation names so I could start over with them later...
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Leppikania
Minister

Founded: Apr 13, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leppikania » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:58 am

Bump. Any word on this from admins?
INTP, -4.25 Economic Left/Right, -4.1 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian, tastes like chicken.
I do use NS stats, thank you very much.
Funny Quotes
Pie charts for industries
Request an Embassy

Gages Icelandic Army
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Gages Icelandic Army » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:28 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:Why? Also, do you think people will actually do that?

I have a couple of names I would release.

I have 6. :oops:

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:23 am

Leppikania wrote:Bump. Any word on this from admins?

No. This idea's been kicking around for a while, and admin isn't in a hurry to do anything with it. There isn't strong opposition to freeing up more names, but there's not a sense of urgency about it either.

Federated Kingdom
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Federated Kingdom » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:29 am

Alternatively, have it as a notice similar to 'someone tried to log in with the wrong password'.
U N I T E DK I N G D O M S
of
???, ???, ???, & ???

?
?
?

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:53 am

I think there would be good player interest in a "insta-delete this nation and free up the name" button, especially if it lets you reset your current nation, and also interest in anything that frees up old reserved names for reuse.

I don't think an opt-in for releasing your own name when you CTE is so hot, since it includes most of the drawbacks of the above but without most of the benefits, since the vaaaast majority of nations will never use it, including all the ones with names you want, and some people who do use it will mess it up and freak out at mods about how to get their nation back. Plus it adds an obscure and hard-to-explain option to Settings.

Enfaru
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Enfaru » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:49 am

I would be interested in signifying my name for release should I decide that I want nothing more to do with Nationstates upon CTE.

However... an Insta-delete option would solve this at any rate. The reason we're having this discussion is because such a thing has not already been implemented...
Sovereign Charter Quick Links
Factbook · Role-plays · RMB · Map (Origin | Quantum) · Chat · Members: 73
Myraxia: One does not learn to GM; One throws oneself in and prays they don't fuck up too badly.
Game Master
Founder of the Sovereign Charter,
4th President and,
Tutor of the College of Theatrics

United German Regions
Envoy

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby United German Regions » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:20 am

Gages Icelandic Army wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:
I have a couple of names I would release.

I have 6. :oops:

I would be more than willing to free 20-30 names but,
[violet] wrote:I think there would be good player interest in a "insta-delete this nation and free up the name" button, especially if it lets you reset your current nation, and also interest in anything that frees up old reserved names for reuse.

I don't think an opt-in for releasing your own name when you CTE is so hot, since it includes most of the drawbacks of the above but without most of the benefits, since the vaaaast majority of nations will never use it, including all the ones with names you want, and some people who do use it will mess it up and freak out at mods about how to get their nation back. Plus it adds an obscure and hard-to-explain option to Settings.

I believe releasing names (as mentioned above) serves very little good for what it is and would be more hassle than enjoyment from users and moderators alike.
Enfaru wrote:I would be interested in signifying my name for release should I decide that I want nothing more to do with Nationstates upon CTE.

However... an Insta-delete option would solve this at any rate. The reason we're having this discussion is because such a thing has not already been implemented...

I think the only true way to allow this without to many problems would be a tedious process of checking a box, getting a popup warning, nation notification, and email verification, though that amount would likely be excessive for most who don't care about NS anymore.
Founder of The Insane Region/Founder of The Embassy/Raider for few/Defender for all/International Contender/Conqueror of The Black Riders
I stand against CAIN
Pro: USA, Democracy, Military, Freedom, Fox News, Second Amendment, #AllLivesMatter, Racial Equality, Gender Equality, #BlueLivesMatter
Anti: Fascism, WA Security Council, Religious Extremism, The Nightly Show, #BlackLivesMatter, Segregation, Hillary Clinton, Heavy Feminism

United German Regions is supplying medical aid to numerous nations recovering from war | UGR investigators discovered the presence of slavery in Cresenthia to manufacture teddy bears | The leader of UGR has just eaten a samich

Flanderlion
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:18 pm

Is there any stats about those who decide to quit and then come back? I've dealt with a lot of those through NSGP, and although GPers don't seem to care much about their nations, I'm expecting that other parts of NS are significant with rage quits and coming back (got no hard data or anecdotes to back this up though).

The option to delete your nation would help a few addicted to NS who keep trying to leave but come back. But the likelihood is either they'd manage to leave or find their way back despite there intentions with or without deleting their nation. It also opens NS up to the possibility of 'friends' deleting your nation, and currently you just send in a GHR if they switch your password etc. and your nation is restored if you somehow don't regain access within the next month.

I'm expecting to delete your nation you'll have to enter your password/answer an email etc. to prove it is really you, but in often friends and families know passwords. You can say tough luck to them, but you'll still get the misspelled GHRs about them to 'Max Berry'.

Is a good idea, but I'm not sure how people who delete and change their mind, or someone else clicks the button and does it for them, would be handled. Possibly allowing restoring the nation, but under another name, but then that'd make everyone want to be able to rename their nations, and I'm not sure how far the switching nation names to IDs backend has got.

I think allowing a nation to free up their name won't do anything significant for nation name availability, because the ones wanted by others will get snapped up by nation name hoarders. But it would stop players from feeling guilty about hogging a nation name, and make it easier to leave NS. Obviously by making it easier to leave NS it'd harm retention a bit, but as long as it is easy to come back, it should work out in the end.

Overall, cool idea with a few problems that can be negated. Personally I don't need it, and am unlikely to use it, but I think the feature will be well used (and abused in a good number of cases).
As always, I'm representing myself.
Information
Wishlist

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:36 pm

Flanderlion wrote:Possibly allowing restoring the nation, but under another name, but then that'd make everyone want to be able to rename their nations, and I'm not sure how far the switching nation names to IDs backend has got.

I'm pretty confident that we would never make this a reason to rename a nation. [v] hates renaming nations and says it is a lot of work.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:30 am

[violet] wrote:I think there would be good player interest in a "insta-delete this nation and free up the name" button, especially if it lets you reset your current nation, and also interest in anything that frees up old reserved names for reuse.

Seems like an instant delete button would make it too easy for any hackers to delete nations, though. Deletion on CTE makes it much more difficult for a hacker to delete a nation.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Lockdownn
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lockdownn » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:31 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:

Seems like an instant delete button would make it too easy for any hackers to delete nations, though. Deletion on CTE makes it much more difficult for a hacker to delete a nation.

All they would have to do is remove the email and scramble the password.

My initial point was not an insta-delete option but an option that would allow any nation over the current population limit to be released into the game after five years. For anyone concerned about the same player taking the name back after it's been released; what's stopping a nation under 500 mil from doing the same to reset their nation?

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:34 pm

Lockdownn wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:

All they would have to do is remove the email and scramble the password.

The victim would still have a month to GHR for help before the nation CTEs. Sometimes we are able to establish what happened and restore the nation to its original owner.

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:46 am

Lockdownn wrote:I would like to suggest an option that allows a player to allow their name to be released regardless of age. Of-course it would release after the same amount of time a nation that ceased to exist under the 500 mil population.

I wouldn't mind this, actually.

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:48 am

But violet, obscure and hard-to-explain options are why you make life so terrifying. :p

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical