NATION

PASSWORD

Option to self release name

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Lockdownn
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lockdownn » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:40 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Lockdownn wrote:All they would have to do is remove the email and scramble the password.

The victim would still have a month to GHR for help before the nation CTEs. Sometimes we are able to establish what happened and restore the nation to its original owner.

You wouldn't be locked out of your nation, it's just a check box that you voluntarily check that states if you leave your nation untouched for five years the name will be released. I mean, this is assuming you can still fix it after it ceases to exist anyways.

Leutria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:57 am

For immediate deletion as [violet] suggests, could it be made so that if someone logs back in before someone else takes the name the nation could still be revived by logging in (as you currently can do for nations that have CTE). The provides a little defense against the little brother deleting your nation scenario, again, assuming no one else takes the name before you notice.

Post Nuclear Obliterated United States
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Post Nuclear Obliterated United States » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:01 am

I've got about 4-5 names I'd self release so this would be a good option to have.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:24 am

Lockdownn wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:
The victim would still have a month to GHR for help before the nation CTEs. Sometimes we are able to establish what happened and restore the nation to its original owner.

You wouldn't be locked out of your nation, it's just a check box that you voluntarily check that states if you leave your nation untouched for five years the name will be released. I mean, this is assuming you can still fix it after it ceases to exist anyways.

I thought you were arguing that hacking into a nation, changing the email, and scrambling the password would make it impossible to get back under the current system. So I was explaining that is not the case.

As for the idea to have a self-release with the normal 5 year wait, I still don't get why we would do that. It seems silly to make a change that will have absolutely no benefit of any kind for a minimum of 5 years.

Leutria wrote:For immediate deletion as [violet] suggests, could it be made so that if someone logs back in before someone else takes the name the nation could still be revived by logging in (as you currently can do for nations that have CTE). The provides a little defense against the little brother deleting your nation scenario, again, assuming no one else takes the name before you notice.

In most cases, I would expect the little brother to take the name immediately.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Adytus
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Adytus » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:28 am

This idea is amazing. If you put this feature in the news page, I bet a ton of nation names become available again. It should have nothing but a positive impact on the game.
Necromancer of Arbitration
In Lazarus

NationHelper
Envoy

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby NationHelper » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:15 am

Adytus wrote:This idea is amazing. If you put this feature in the news page, I bet a ton of nation names become available again. It should have nothing but a positive impact on the game.

Agreed.

United German Regions
Envoy

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby United German Regions » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:46 am

Adytus wrote:This idea is amazing. If you put this feature in the news page, I bet a ton of nation names become available again. It should have nothing but a positive impact on the game.

I doubt the awareness would make too much of an impact (of course it would increase the usage but not by much). For example, when I do CTE I wouldn't make this nation open for release because of legacy, why let somebody else have any recognition they don't deserve.
Founder of The Insane Region/Founder of The Embassy/Raider for few/Defender for all/International Contender/Conqueror of The Black Riders
I stand against CAIN
Pro: USA, Democracy, Military, Freedom, Fox News, Second Amendment, #AllLivesMatter, Racial Equality, Gender Equality, #BlueLivesMatter
Anti: Fascism, WA Security Council, Religious Extremism, The Nightly Show, #BlackLivesMatter, Segregation, Hillary Clinton, Heavy Feminism

United German Regions is supplying medical aid to numerous nations recovering from war | UGR investigators discovered the presence of slavery in Cresenthia to manufacture teddy bears | The leader of UGR has just eaten a samich

Lockdownn
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lockdownn » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:50 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Lockdownn wrote:You wouldn't be locked out of your nation, it's just a check box that you voluntarily check that states if you leave your nation untouched for five years the name will be released. I mean, this is assuming you can still fix it after it ceases to exist anyways.

I thought you were arguing that hacking into a nation, changing the email, and scrambling the password would make it impossible to get back under the current system. So I was explaining that is not the case.

As for the idea to have a self-release with the normal 5 year wait, I still don't get why we would do that. It seems silly to make a change that will have absolutely no benefit of any kind for a minimum of 5 years.

Leutria wrote:For immediate deletion as [violet] suggests, could it be made so that if someone logs back in before someone else takes the name the nation could still be revived by logging in (as you currently can do for nations that have CTE). The provides a little defense against the little brother deleting your nation scenario, again, assuming no one else takes the name before you notice.

Ah okay.

My point was that if people such as the other site staff are worried about players resetting their nation, a 5-year wait (the same period of release for nations under 500 million) for nations over 500 million would be on the same playing field as nations over.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:04 pm

Lockdownn wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

Ah okay.

My point was that if people such as the other site staff are worried about players resetting their nation, a 5-year wait (the same period of release for nations under 500 million) for nations over 500 million would be on the same playing field as nations over.

Now I understand where you're coming from a little better, but I don't think the ability to reset a nation is a problem. It doesn't give anyone an unfair advantage over other players. You can't use it to reverse a bad issues decision unless you also want to throw out a lot of other work that you put into your nation before that issue.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:05 am

Lockdownn wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:
Seems like an instant delete button would make it too easy for any hackers to delete nations, though. Deletion on CTE makes it much more difficult for a hacker to delete a nation.

All they would have to do is remove the email and scramble the password.

Which, as USS Monitor pointed out, still leaves the victim of hacking 28 days to notify Admin and hopefully get their nation back.

Unlike violet's suggested insta-delete button, which allows the hacker to instantly kill a nation with no hope for the victim.

This is why I am in favor of a "delete on CTE" button but not a "insta-delete this nation" button.

Lockdownn wrote:My point was that if people such as the other site staff are worried about players resetting their nation, a 5-year wait (the same period of release for nations under 500 million) for nations over 500 million would be on the same playing field as nations over.

Why is the 5 year wait even necessary? If players have voluntarily opted to allow their nation name to release after they CTE, why should there be a 5 year wait?

The current 5 year wait is only to prevent players from immediately snatching up nations every time someone accidentally lets a puppet CTE.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Parhe
Powerbroker

Founded: May 10, 2011
Anarchy

Option to self release name

Postby Parhe » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:01 am

With the exceptions of Parhe, Imperial Parhe, Beatus, Aquadale, and Aryas Regime, I would release all my puppets if I were to ever leave. I would urge all name collectors to do the same, they don't seem like the type to believe in "if I cannot have it, then no one can." My nations alone are almost 2% of the current population, Celery, and I'm certain there are plenty of others collecting many names who could be persuaded.

That said, I don't want to push for it if the admins later don't see a point in it. Also, really not for the instant delete button, but that is just me.
Last edited by Parhe on Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hey, it is Parhe :D I am always open to telegrams.
I know it is a Work-In-Progress, but I would love it if y'all looked at my new factbook and gave me some feedback!

BRING BACK THE ICE CLIMBERS

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical