NATION

PASSWORD

Option to self release name

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Lockdownn
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Option to self release name

Postby Lockdownn » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:53 pm

I would like to suggest an option that allows a player to allow their name to be released regardless of age. Of-course it would release after the same amount of time a nation that ceased to exist under the 500 mil population.
Last edited by [violet] on Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:43 pm

Why? Also, do you think people will actually do that?
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Lockdownn
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lockdownn » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:14 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:Why? Also, do you think people will actually do that?

1) Just so names could be recycled at the will of the person. I know I have puppets that I'll never want again that are over 500 mil when I leave this game.

2) They may or may not. Depends on the person and whether or not they want to keep their legacy. Although, if I don't see any replies from actual players, I'll have my answer.

Leutria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:59 pm

Well I have a lot of CTEd flower and plant themed puppets I thought the last time this topic came up that I would release the names of if it were possible. At least the ones I can remember :P

Still, I would expect those of us that would willingly return names to the wild are in the minority of players.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Socio Polor » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:24 pm

I actually think this isn't a bad thought. Those of us players that are generous enough to release their nation name when they stop playing should be allowed to.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:48 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:Why? Also, do you think people will actually do that?

I have a couple of names I would release.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:31 pm

Someone you want a nation name someone else has. If the players involved are able to discuss it among themselves and come to agreement amiably, why not let them?

Also take note that some players would use this to restart their own nations, wiping the stats clean and then immediately refounding under the same player. While I can see why you might want to discourage people from resetting their nations rather than trying to fix them within the system, I ultimately think that's their choice to make.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:37 pm

I will add my support to the idea. I have, over the years, made several puppets that got over 500 million and I don't use anymore, some of them I would want to turn over to allow new players to use, and some I might just keep in cold storage in case I ever need them (mostly some infamous "joke" puppets that are almost common in the WA)

As this change is totally optional, I don't see why we shouldn't have it.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Leppikania
Minister

Founded: Apr 13, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leppikania » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:14 am

I thought this had been suggested before and shot down, but I can't find that anywhere.

*adds hat*

Excidium Planetis wrote:As this change is totally optional, I don't see why we shouldn't have it.

Of course, the admins have to implement it…
INTP, -4.25 Economic Left/Right, -4.1 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian, tastes like chicken.
I do use NS stats, thank you very much.
Funny Quotes
Pie charts for industries
Request an Embassy

Lockdownn
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lockdownn » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:20 am

Trotterdam wrote:Someone you want a nation name someone else has. If the players involved are able to discuss it among themselves and come to agreement amiably, why not let them?

Also take note that some players would use this to restart their own nations, wiping the stats clean and then immediately refounding under the same player. While I can see why you might want to discourage people from resetting their nations rather than trying to fix them within the system, I ultimately think that's their choice to make.

Name recycling would work as if a nation under 500 mil ceased to exist where the name would become available in five years.

Of-course, in order to not become tempted, you'd have to scramble your password in order to not log in again. My idea is to have a button selection in the nations' setting page which, once selected, allows the five year clock to become enabled once it ceases to exist. The owner could still refound during that period.

Lockdownn
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lockdownn » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:23 am

Leppikania wrote:I thought this had been suggested before and shot down, but I can't find that anywhere.

*adds hat*

Excidium Planetis wrote:As this change is totally optional, I don't see why we shouldn't have it.

Of course, the admins have to implement it…

I mean, this is a fundamental change from my point of view. It's a big change to the system to consider and I wouldn't be surprised if this was put away for some years. Obviously, I know nothing about the CTE system itself, but I'm just saying I would understand if it's not considered important for the time being.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:11 am

Part of the reason we don't allow this is the same as the reason we don't have a "Delete Nation" button. Evil little brothers, passing friends, and nation hackers cannot destroy your nation by clicking a button. They can screw it up, true, but not irreparably. You can still delete your nation by not logging in, but you automatically get 28 days to change your mind.

[violet] has kept the Settings fairly clear for over a decade, for the simple reason that the interface is still clear to new players. I'll grant you that we probably have more {new puppets of experienced players} than {new players} at any given point, but it's the new players we want to continue to encourage. Without them, the site eventually dies. There are lots of things we could add to Settings. Picking the ones that advance the game is where the difficulty lies.

Leppikania
Minister

Founded: Apr 13, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leppikania » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:36 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:Part of the reason we don't allow this is the same as the reason we don't have a "Delete Nation" button. Evil little brothers, passing friends, and nation hackers cannot destroy your nation by clicking a button. They can screw it up, true, but not irreparably. You can still delete your nation by not logging in, but you automatically get 28 days to change your mind.

I imagine this system as a checkbox in Settings that makes the population no longer a factor when considering your nation's name for reuse, not a button. This way, you would get 5 years to change your mind, and that's assuming it gets reused immediately upon becoming available.

Frisbeeteria wrote:it's the new players we want to continue to encourage.

And this is where the benefit of the system comes in. If new players can't have a nation name that they really want, then that discourages them.
INTP, -4.25 Economic Left/Right, -4.1 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian, tastes like chicken.
I do use NS stats, thank you very much.
Funny Quotes
Pie charts for industries
Request an Embassy

Lockdownn
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lockdownn » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:41 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:Part of the reason we don't allow this is the same as the reason we don't have a "Delete Nation" button. Evil little brothers, passing friends, and nation hackers cannot destroy your nation by clicking a button. They can screw it up, true, but not irreparably. You can still delete your nation by not logging in, but you automatically get 28 days to change your mind.

[violet] has kept the Settings fairly clear for over a decade, for the simple reason that the interface is still clear to new players. I'll grant you that we probably have more {new puppets of experienced players} than {new players} at any given point, but it's the new players we want to continue to encourage. Without them, the site eventually dies. There are lots of things we could add to Settings. Picking the ones that advance the game is where the difficulty lies.

A button that that enables the 5-year reuse period is what I'm after here. The only for sure way that a person couldn't get it back is if they removed the email and scrambled the password. Otherwise it's inherently optional really unless you intentionally enable it and leave it alone for the 28 - 60 days + five years it requires.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:14 pm

Lockdownn wrote:Name recycling would work as if a nation under 500 mil ceased to exist where the name would become available in five years.
Leppikania wrote:I imagine this system as a checkbox in Settings that makes the population no longer a factor when considering your nation's name for reuse, not a button. This way, you would get 5 years to change your mind, and that's assuming it gets reused immediately upon becoming available.
5 years is a long time. I understand the benefit of having some delay to avoid the problem Frisbeeteria mentioned, but if somone actually wants the name now, 5 years is essentially an eternity in internet time. A month, that might be a reasonable wait.

There could be a "release this nation's name when it expires" button in the settings. When it's enabled, every single page has a big obvious warning saying something like "WARNING: If you want to delete your nation, you should stop logging in so it'll cease to exist. If you don't want to delete your nation, go to your settings and turn this off now.". That should make it difficult for anyone to sneakily delete your nation without you having a chance to do something about it.
Last edited by Trotterdam on Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lockdownn
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lockdownn » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:15 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Lockdownn wrote:
5 years is a long time. I understand the benefit of having some delay to avoid the problem Frisbeeteria mentioned, but if somone actually wants the name now, needing to wait 5 years is essentially an eternity in internet time.

There could be a "release this nation's name when it expires" button in the settings. When it's enabled, every single page has a big obvious warning saying something like "WARNING: If you want to delete your nation, you should stop logging in so it'll cease to exist. If you don't want to delete your nation, go to your settings and turn this off now.". That should make it difficult for anyone to sneakily delete your nation without you having a chance to do something about it.

Five years is a long time for nations under 500 mil too right? I'm trying to allow nations above that to behave like under 500 mil names.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:31 pm

It's a nice idea, but the amount of people who would be likely to use this is minimal, which means it struggles to justify the admins spending time on it - particularly given the potential problems Fris has highlighted.

Lockdownn
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lockdownn » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:50 pm

Sedgistan wrote:It's a nice idea, but the amount of people who would be likely to use this is minimal, which means it struggles to justify the admins spending time on it - particularly given the potential problems Fris has highlighted.

Both points presented were addressed in my previous posts. Just to note.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:42 pm

Lockdownn wrote:

A button that that enables the 5-year reuse period is what I'm after here. The only for sure way that a person couldn't get it back is if they removed the email and scrambled the password. Otherwise it's inherently optional really unless you intentionally enable it and leave it alone for the 28 - 60 days + five years it requires.

Why would you still need the 5 year wait? The month it takes for the nation to CTE would give the person a chance to change their mind.
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:48 pm

Sedgistan wrote:It's a nice idea, but the amount of people who would be likely to use this is minimal, which means it struggles to justify the admins spending time on it - particularly given the potential problems Fris has highlighted.

The number of people on this thread alone who said they would use it indicates that it would not be a minimal number using the feature.

I'm sure that a whole lot of players have made puppets they don't want anymore.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Lockdownn
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lockdownn » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:07 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Lockdownn wrote:A button that that enables the 5-year reuse period is what I'm after here. The only for sure way that a person couldn't get it back is if they removed the email and scrambled the password. Otherwise it's inherently optional really unless you intentionally enable it and leave it alone for the 28 - 60 days + five years it requires.

Why would you still need the 5 year wait? The month it takes for the nation to CTE would give the person a chance to change their mind.

I just thought that would be the flat rate in terms of time to release. I'd be open to a shorter amount obviously.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:00 pm

Lockdownn wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

I just thought that would be the flat rate in terms of time to release. I'd be open to a shorter amount obviously.

I am against reducing the wait time for names to be automatically released, but if the owner has indicated that they WANT to have it released, then I don't see the need to wait so long.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:23 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:

The number of people on this thread alone who said they would use it indicates that it would not be a minimal number using the feature.

A handful of people who frequent the Technical forum are in no way representative of the site as a whole.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:27 am

Sedgistan wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:

A handful of people who frequent the Technical forum are in no way representative of the site as a whole.

Quite the opposite, if anything.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

British Prussia
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2009

Postby British Prussia » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:29 am

I don't think that there should be a big red doomsday button, obviously. But I reckon an email verification could make it a reasonably secure two-step process. It shouldn't be immediate, so like, after the process has started, like FaceBook(?) it doesn't delete your nation until after a couple of weeks.

Trotterdam wrote:"Release this nation's name when it expires"

I reckon this is a good idea as well.
British Prussia - Britisches Preußen
Content provided by: Foreign & Trade Office | Ministry of War
Embassy | Factbook | C.W.Sentinel | Regional Map
WARCON: | Critical | Severe | Substanial | Low
Response: | Execptional | Heightened | Normal
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 2.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.69

Conservative Cosmopolitan
Cosmopolitan 18%
Secular 17%
Reactionary 4%
Authoritarian 14%
Capitalistic 12%
Pro-Military 9%
Anthropocentric 43%
Monarchy, Centre-Right, Military, Economic Interventionism, Trade, Wealth, Living Wage, Social Conservatism, Capitalism, Pro-Choice, Lesbians/Gays/Bisexuals, Roman Catholicism, Hong Kong, Commonwealth of Nations, Anglosphere, Conservative Party (UK), National Party (NZ)

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical