NATION

PASSWORD

Taxation and freedom from taxation

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
4stan
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 10, 2017
Ex-Nation

Taxation and freedom from taxation

Postby 4stan » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:04 pm

I just took a look at national rankings in these two categories... and these numbers make no sense. It should not be possible for a nation to have a 140% or -1,600% tax rate. "Taxation" and "Freedom from taxation" should each be on a scale from 0-100, and should always add up to 100 for each country.
Last edited by 4stan on Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WDS and I are the same person. Neither nationstate represents my real-world political views.

Leutria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:20 pm

My understanding is that results under 0 and over 100 show how entrenched those positions are. i.e. 140 shows that not only is the tax rate 100 but that it is a position that has become entrenched over time and would take a lot more work to bring down. Sort of like how industries can get into the negitives despite not 'making sense'.

Besides, on the nation page it will only show a number between 0 and 100.

Montchevre
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 16, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Montchevre » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:22 pm

Lol, I thought this was a discussion page when I first pulled it up, so I was ready for all the nutty ancaps to show up in full force.
I'm tired of the fight. What we need is pragmatic solutions, not party politics.
Quotes:
"Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle." Thomas Jefferson
"Fear always springs from ignorance." Ralph Waldo Emerson
"The rights of democracy are not reserved for a select group within society; they are the rights of all the people." Olof Palme
"Only an organized and conscious people can bring about a different kind of society." Salvador Allende.

New Cashistan
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 13, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby New Cashistan » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:58 pm

On a related note, when your taxation is between 0 and -1 your nation's government page still has it as a positive number. My taxation is -0.8something and my government page says 2.28 trillion in taxes.
diclasmer: nation not my personal ideals

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:35 pm

It doesn't say anywhere that those are percentages.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Eris I Dysnomia
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Eris I Dysnomia » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:32 am

USS Monitor wrote:It doesn't say anywhere that those are percentages.

Nonetheless, that is how they are sometimes treated by the game engine, which is why increases in spending sometimes produce decreases in the tax rate.

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:46 am

Eris I Dysnomia wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:It doesn't say anywhere that those are percentages.

Nonetheless, that is how they are sometimes treated by the game engine, which is why increases in spending sometimes produce decreases in the tax rate.

Freedom from Taxation is never treated as a percent. I've expressed my displeasure with how the tax stat is handled ad nauseam before, so I won't go on about that. I personally don't think of the Tax stat as an actual percent exactly because it can be negative or exceed 100(where tax rate is capped) or be a progressive rate. Taxation should be thought of exactly as FFT - a way to show just how willing/prone your nation's government is to needing to levy taxes upon people.
See You Space Cowboy...

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical