NATION

PASSWORD

Leader title

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Qvait
Envoy

Founded: Mar 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Leader title

Postby Qvait » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:04 pm

I think that it would be a helpful addition if we implement leader titles without having to manually do so. When that happens, there can be greater flexibility when referring to the leader. Here are some examples:
  • Chairman/woman
  • Chancellor
  • Emperor/Empress
  • General
  • King/Queen
  • Premier
  • President
  • Prime Minister
  • Secretary-General
  • Tsar
Last edited by Qvait on Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Em

she/her/hers

Who I am

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:50 pm

Qvait wrote:greater flexibility

A list of titles to select from is "by definition" less flexible than being able to type in whatever you like. If they want to be "Grand Poohbah" or "Snake Goddess", they can be. Your list would limit that.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:58 pm

Maybe he means make it like the pretitle where you start with a list you can choose from, but then when you reach a certain population, it would change to an editable field.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:42 pm

It is currently common practice to have the @@LEADER@@ field include both title and name. Are you proposing that title and name be split into separate fields? That would require a lot of work to adapt old issues to match, even though it is fairly arbitrary which you use where, and some nations' leaders are known only by title or only by name.

Quasar Corporations
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Quasar Corporations » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:46 pm

Trotterdam wrote:It is currently common practice to have the @@LEADER@@ field include both title and name. Are you proposing that title and name be split into separate fields? That would require a lot of work to adapt old issues to match, even though it is fairly arbitrary which you use where, and some nations' leaders are known only by title or only by name.

For example, my nation's leader is known only as "The Grand Emperor".
The galaxy will bow before the mighty emperor!

The Saint James Islands
Ambassador

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Saint James Islands » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:56 pm

Trotterdam wrote:It is currently common practice to have the @@LEADER@@ field include both title and name. Are you proposing that title and name be split into separate fields? That would require a lot of work to adapt old issues to match, even though it is fairly arbitrary which you use where, and some nations' leaders are known only by title or only by name.

And then there are the nations which are run by collective bodies instead of a single person. This proposal wouldn’t work for those nations.
Classical republican, environmental student
Pro: Parliamentarism, civic virtue, positive liberty, soft Euroscepticism, the scientific method, facts
Anti: Presidentialism, authoritarianism, corruption, populism, hard Euroscepticism, misinformation
IC posts made by this nation are non-canonical.
This nation does not reflect my actual political views.
Do not use orally after using rectally.
Guilherme Magalhães
Senator for Ilhas de Santiago Ocidentais
Staunchly independent
[23:53] <StJames> ^fake news^

The death of the West will not be a homicide, but a suicide.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:37 am

I'm up for the work if technical are up for coding the field in. It'd actually be quite a useful thing, to be able to macro in the leader's title and the leader's name as separate things. For example:

"I'd make a better @@TITLE@@ than you," yells Opposition Leader @@RANDOMNAME@@. "@@LEADER@@, it's not that I don't respect your opinions, but..."
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Qvait
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Qvait » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:30 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Qvait wrote:greater flexibility

A list of titles to select from is "by definition" less flexible than being able to type in whatever you like. If they want to be "Grand Poohbah" or "Snake Goddess", they can be. Your list would limit that.

USS Monitor wrote:Maybe he means make it like the pretitle where you start with a list you can choose from, but then when you reach a certain population, it would change to an editable field.

Kinda. I was just providing a list of examples. It can be whatever you want.

I see what you're saying. I think that we should have the option to leave some fields blank.
Last edited by Qvait on Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Em

she/her/hers

Who I am

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:33 am

You already have the option to leave fields blank. When issues hit a blank field, we just use default placeholders. So, for @@LEADER@@ it's just "Leader".

Hmm, one problem this might cause is that sometimes people might see @@TITLE@@ as being an adjective rather than a noun, and that'd make it almost entirely useless for issue writing purposes...

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:43 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:You already have the option to leave fields blank. When issues hit a blank field, we just use default placeholders. So, for @@LEADER@@ it's just "Leader".

Hmm, one problem this might cause is that sometimes people might see @@TITLE@@ as being an adjective rather than a noun, and that'd make it almost entirely useless for issue writing purposes...

@@RANDOMNAME_REVERSED@@ is almost entirely useless except for one very specific issue. Doesn't mean it wasn' able to be coded :P
Last edited by Drasnia on Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
See You Space Cowboy...

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Socio Polor » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:52 am

I like this idea, it'll be useful in a ton of issues.

Edit: now that I think about it, implementing a title macro would be quite difficult because each nations leader is different
Last edited by Socio Polor on Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:04 am

I think @@TITLE@@ would be fine so long as the on-page example on Settings makes it clear that a noun is needed, as it does with the first @@DEMONYM@@.

Actually, the more I think on this idea, the more I like the idea of it.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:37 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I'm up for the work if technical are up for coding the field in. It'd actually be quite a useful thing, to be able to macro in the leader's title and the leader's name as separate things. For example:

"I'd make a better @@TITLE@@ than you," yells Opposition Leader @@RANDOMNAME@@. "@@LEADER@@, it's not that I don't respect your opinions, but..."
So what would the default for that be?

"I'd make a better Leader than you," yells Opposition Leader @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Leader, it's not that I don't respect your opinions, but..."

Leutria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:23 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I'm up for the work if technical are up for coding the field in. It'd actually be quite a useful thing, to be able to macro in the leader's title and the leader's name as separate things. For example:

"I'd make a better Leader than you," yells Opposition Leader @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Leader, it's not that I don't respect your opinions, but..."

In the example Leader would work. The issue there would be if an issue called for @@TITLE@@ @@LEADER@@.

Qvait
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Qvait » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:22 pm

Trotterdam wrote:

Well, IMHO I believe that nations should be allowed to choose the leader's title from the beginning.

Leutria wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:So what would the default for that be?

In the example Leader would work. The issue there would be if an issue called for @@TITLE@@ @@LEADER@@.

That will be tricky. Maybe if the leader parameter is not filled, as is the case for newer nations, it could omit the command. I don't know whether coding will permit this.
Last edited by Qvait on Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Em

she/her/hers

Who I am

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:34 pm

Qvait wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:So what would the default for that be?

Well, IMHO I believe that nations should be allowed to choose the leader's title from the beginning.

Having unlockables is a part of the experience. If you just get everything right off the bat then what is there to strive for? Additionally it is one less field for new nation spammers to fill with rules-violating content.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Qvait
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Qvait » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:36 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Qvait wrote:Well, IMHO I believe that nations should be allowed to choose the leader's title from the beginning.

Having unlockables is a part of the experience. If you just get everything right off the bat then what is there to strive for? Additionally it is one less field for new nation spammers to fill with rules-violating content.

I see your point.
Em

she/her/hers

Who I am

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical