NATION

PASSWORD

More Variety for the Issue Newspapers

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

More Variety for the Issue Newspapers

Postby Drayxaso » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:26 pm

Yesterday, I became the author of an issue, #679. As a result, I've been thinking about issues a lot lately, and I came up with an idea to make issues feel a bit more immersive.

As we all know, in the current system, when you go to an issue, you're first greeted by something almost exactly like this:

It's not ugly, and it serves it's purpose, but after seeing the same picture time and again, it simply becomes a fact of life. From the perspective of a player, this makes sense: it's just a game anyway. But from the perspective of @@LEADER@@, it makes no sense: Why is there only one picture for every edition of the newspaper? Nationstates is supposed to feel as if you're in charge of a nation, but seeing the same image under a different headline every time you go to an issue just seems wrong.

Ever since the Febuarary 2016 Issue Revamp, a different, more colorful array of newspapers have greeted us when we answer issues:

These newspapers feature images randomly selected from the banners the nation has unlocked. While they can get wacky at times--I once had a newspaper that stated "Drayxaso gets international attention, the good kind," but displayed the "Atomic Age" banner (a nuclear explosion)--for the most part, they make the game feel a bit more like you really are in charge of a nation.

What I propose is that we have the newspaper at the start of the issue also use banners as images. I'm not suggesting we get rid of the existing picture entirely, just add it to the list of images that can be shown. I can see three ways to do this:

Assign specific images to specific issues. For example, you could make sure the Star Trek issue has a space banner. In my opinion, this option isn't the best idea. While it would certainly add immersion, it wouldn't be worth the work. Issue editors (or other NS staff members) would have to assign an image to literally every single issue, which would take an excessive amount of time and slow down the process of issue acceptance, if it's possible at all.

Use the same system used to pick banners for the "issue effects" newspapers. This would certainly add variety to the images, but not necessarily immersion: seeing a picture of a nuclear explosion when you're given an issue about homeless puppies doesn't make much sense, perhaps less sense than the newspapers as they are today. On the other hand--bear in mind, I'm no master of code--I'm pretty sure this would be the easiest to implement.

Use specific banners if the issue involves certain flags (the things which keep track of the characteristics of your nation). For example, issues regarding space exploration could use the banner "The Worlds Above Us." More unique issues could even be assigned banners of their own: the issue "World Assembly Woes" (The issue that can kick you from the world assembly) could use the banner "A Voice at the Table." And for issues that don't involve flags which are reflected by banners and/or are available to all nations, the newspaper can be as it is today. With this system, you could know what the general premise of an issue was without even reading it. Personally, I think this would be the best option, but I have no idea if this would be possible or not.

I know this isn't the most useful suggestion, but it really seems to fit with the ongoing style changes to Nationstates' interface and provides just a tiny bit more immersion to the game. It would also get more use out of the pretty banners, which is always nice.
The Great Devourer of All wrote:"Bring the ship about, helmsman! The Klingons are firing on us!"
"I can't, sir! My knees hurt like hell and my back is cramped in a thousand places. The Klingons might as well put me out of my misery!"

Neanderthaland wrote:Looks like the DPRK is in need of a new buyer. Someone more aligned to their political philosophy.

Now if only there were someone out there who needed massive amounts of coal. Someone with a cult of personality and a keen interest in surveillance. Someone who sees you when your sleeping. Who knows when you're awake.
#679: Space Is Big Enough For The Both Of Us
(@.0) Put this in your sig if you support the Borg

Das Kreuz
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Das Kreuz » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:32 pm

I actually like this idea, it takes away from the monotony, and doesn't seem too hard to implement :)
~~~Looking for a REALISTIC RP region!~~~

Erutenia
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Erutenia » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:40 pm

I agree, but i don't know how hard can be to implement this.
ATTENTION: THE ERUTENIAN FEDERATION IS BEING REMODELED, STAY IN THEIR HOMES AND FOLLOW ANY ORDER GIVEN BY THE POLICE OR AUXILIARY UNITS. I REPEAT...
Erutenia: For love, for science, for our federation!

this nation is more complex than it looks
BAD ENGLISH APPROACHING

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:41 pm

Das Kreuz wrote:I actually like this idea, it takes away from the monotony, and doesn't seem too hard to implement :)

Thanks! :bow:
The Great Devourer of All wrote:"Bring the ship about, helmsman! The Klingons are firing on us!"
"I can't, sir! My knees hurt like hell and my back is cramped in a thousand places. The Klingons might as well put me out of my misery!"

Neanderthaland wrote:Looks like the DPRK is in need of a new buyer. Someone more aligned to their political philosophy.

Now if only there were someone out there who needed massive amounts of coal. Someone with a cult of personality and a keen interest in surveillance. Someone who sees you when your sleeping. Who knows when you're awake.

The United Providences of Perland
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 13, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The United Providences of Perland » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:41 pm

I could get behind this. It'd be cool and I doubt it would be too hard to script.
It's been over two years that Perland has been on Nation States!
Author of issues 651: Black Days for @@NAME@@ and 1016: Breaking Upset

North Krualstiken
Spokesperson

Founded: May 05, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby North Krualstiken » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:50 pm

Yes, is good. Very good.
Bow before me, Meurkiin. I am Michelangelo and you are my clay. I will sculpt you from simple farmers into mighty warriors, a weapon of war. You shall take my whip with gratitude, and praise me for each lash, for I am your master, and you; the slave.
General Dicking Around wrote:AND THEN JOHN SMASHED THE WINDOW AND FUCKED A GOOSE WITH A LIGHTSABER

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Socio Polor » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:04 pm

Not a bad idea, I think I'll support this.

Ventaion
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Ventaion » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:12 pm

Excellent Idea actually!
It shouldn't be to hard to implement aswell!
█✶█
The Magocacy of Ventaion

You can call me Vent, if you like.

Index Is Here
Tier 9
Level 7
Type 7

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:30 pm

While we're at it maybe we could get some different text for the newspaper there as well? :p
I do support this though.
I could see the first option being a better idea, as it could be done in a more player-driven way, as in a thread in GI were people propose a banner image, and editors okay/not okay and then add it if it's good. I don't think it would be that much work for the editors, and would probably produce better results overall.

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:50 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:While we're at it maybe we could get some different text for the newspaper there as well? :p
I could see the first option being a better idea, as it could be done in a more player-driven way, as in a thread in GI were people propose a banner image, and editors okay/not okay and then add it if it's good. I don't think it would be that much work for the editors, and would probably produce better results overall.

The problems with option one are twofold, in my opinion. First of all, the editors would have to go back and individually change every single one of the nearly 700 existing issues. Second of all, there are some topics in issues that no banner represents. What would we do with those issues?
Last edited by Drayxaso on Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:52 pm

Drayxaso wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:While we're at it maybe we could get some different text for the newspaper there as well? :p

The problems with option one are twofold, in my opinion. First of all, the editors would have to go back and individually change every single one of the nearly 700 existing issues. Second of all, there are some topics in issues that no banner represents. What would we do with those issues?

*Admin

We don't have access to the newspaper headlines or banners.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:39 pm

Ventaion wrote:It shouldn't be to hard to implement aswell!
The United Providences of Perland wrote: I doubt it would be too hard to script.
Lord Dominator wrote:I don't think it would be that much work for the editors
Das Kreuz wrote: and doesn't seem too hard to implement :)

People need to stop making these claims. You have absolutely no idea what the back end is like or how things work. You also have no idea how many 'great ideas' are sitting in a To Do list ahead of this.

It's fine to express your support for these sorts of ideas, but stop second-guessing the administrative work involved.

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:15 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Ventaion wrote:It shouldn't be to hard to implement aswell!
The United Providences of Perland wrote: I doubt it would be too hard to script.
Lord Dominator wrote:I don't think it would be that much work for the editors
Das Kreuz wrote: and doesn't seem too hard to implement :)

People need to stop making these claims. You have absolutely no idea what the back end is like or how things work. You also have no idea how many 'great ideas' are sitting in a To Do list ahead of this.

It's fine to express your support for these sorts of ideas, but stop second-guessing the administrative work involved.

That brings up the question: How much work would it take? Is it even possible in the first place?

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:46 am

Drayxaso wrote:
Frisbeeteria wrote:People need to stop making these claims. You have absolutely no idea what the back end is like or how things work. You also have no idea how many 'great ideas' are sitting in a To Do list ahead of this.

That brings up the question: How much work would it take? Is it even possible in the first place?

I don't see any reason that it wouldn't be possible. Most things are possible. Whether they're worth the trouble is a different question, though.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:08 am

Drayxaso wrote:That brings up the question: How much work would it take?

A few days ago, [violet] made some changes that were expected to take about 5 minutes. After 3 hours of work, it still had some bugs. We've been testing it for several days. Another change I'd asked for was implemented in minutes.

It's a complicated game developed over close to 15 years now, and some of that early code is pretty awful. You just never know what is going to work.

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:33 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Drayxaso wrote:That brings up the question: How much work would it take?

A few days ago, [violet] made some changes that were expected to take about 5 minutes. After 3 hours of work, it still had some bugs. We've been testing it for several days. Another change I'd asked for was implemented in minutes.

It's a complicated game developed over close to 15 years now, and some of that early code is pretty awful. You just never know what is going to work.

How difficult was it with the "after-issue" newspapers?

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:39 pm

Drayxaso wrote:How difficult was it with the "after-issue" newspapers?

Why do you continue to ask questions about specifics when we say "we don't know the specifics"? We can't answer you, so stop asking.

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:43 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Drayxaso wrote:How difficult was it with the "after-issue" newspapers?

Why do you continue to ask questions about specifics when we say "we don't know the specifics"? We can't answer you, so stop asking.

Alright. I just wanted to get a general idea of how viable this would be.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:55 pm

I like it! I'll happily add code support for this feature if Editors are willing to use it. I'll raise it with them.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015

Postby Socio Polor » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:10 pm

[violet] wrote:I like it! I'll happily add code support for this feature if Editors are willing to use it. I'll raise it with them.

Congrats Drayxaso, your idea will be added to the game

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:44 pm

[violet] wrote:I like it! I'll happily add code support for this feature if Editors are willing to use it. I'll raise it with them.

:hug: Thank you so much! You're amazing, Violet!
Socio Polor wrote:

Congrats Drayxaso, your idea will be added to the game

Yeah, as long as the issue editors agree! This is awesome! :lol:

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:13 am

Well done to the techies on implementing this.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:31 am

Tinhampton wrote:Well done to the techies on implementing this.

They have to be added individually, so issues will get individual pictures when/if an editor decides to add them.

So don't be surprised if a lot still have the default.
Last edited by Luna Amore on Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greater Tern
Envoy

Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Greater Tern » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:35 am

Could we get access to the issue image from the API? :P

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:24 am

Greater Tern wrote:Could we get access to the issue image from the API? :P

I don't know. Maybe. Have to wait for [v] on that one.

About 10% done by the looks of it.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical