NATION

PASSWORD

Refreshing Rules in Browser Extensions

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Drake made a test nation and then
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Refreshing Rules in Browser Extensions

Postby Drake made a test nation and then » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:25 pm

Hey, so I am modifying a browser extension and need guidance on the legality of remapping the F5 button to another key. R/D frequently requires manual spamming of F5, which is positioned in a location that is terrible for my wrist / screams "carpal tunnel". The legality of remapping it appears to be unclear.

The new key wouldn't do anything that you can't already do with F5. Each action must be initiated by user click. However, spamming the button manually can initiate a new action before the previous one completes, (although it is the same action and never a different one) which is listed as illegal for a script to perform.

So, my question is, does a browser extension count as a "script" (it does not hit the API), and do page reloads count as an action that must complete entirely before the next action may occur?

Additionally, how do you test a browser extension to see if it works, if you are unsure of its legality in the first place?
Last edited by [violet] on Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:00 pm

As this is more a technical scripts question than a moderation question, Moved :arrow: Technical.

Drake made a test nation and then wrote:Additionally, how do you test a browser extension to see if it works, if you are unsure of its legality in the first place?

That's a question you'll have to solve on your own, or with player help. We don't provide a script / extension testing service.

Caelapes
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Caelapes » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:58 am

If all the tool does is remap the function of F5 to another key on the keyboard, I'm not sure if that would be restricted by the rules. We'd need a techie to weigh in.

If it adds a button to the page in the browser, however, it must wait for the page to fully load before being able to execute the refresh again. See here: viewtopic.php?p=28093534#p28093534

Browser extensions are absolutely scripts, and scripts do not necessarily have to hit the API. Page reloads (as with anything executed by a tool/script) must wait for the completion of a previous command before being executed again.

You can test the script on another site and watch the networking panel in your browser's developer tools to make sure it's following the rules.

The Rose Commune of Caelapes
Ego vero custos fratris mei sum.
aka Misley

Drake made a test nation and then
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Drake made a test nation and then » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:47 pm

This is the only currently-implemented feature, and yes, it only does a straight remap to another key. There is no addition of a button to click. No advantage is gained that you can't get by manually hammering away at F5, other than sparing my wrist from being arched for up to 2 hours at a time.

I'm not worrying about the other features until I can pull them off first.

Any game mods around to rule on whether page refreshes can be remapped?
Last edited by Drake made a test nation and then on Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:32 pm

Drake made a test nation and then wrote:Any game mods around to rule on whether page refreshes can be remapped?

The question doesn't make sense to me. You're asking a technical question of what is essentially a lawyer. You need an admin, not a mod.

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:56 pm

Caelapes is right. If your tool simply remaps and doesn't actually create a request itself, that's fine. If it makes its own requests, you need to avoid making simultaneous ones.

Incidentally, mashing F5 is very slow, because it forces your browser to re-query the server not only for the page HTML but also for every script, image, etc, on that page. There are faster ways to do that.

Return to Technical