Page 1 of 1

The Forums, they have their limits?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:28 pm
by Dread Lady Nathicana
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 16777216 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 122880 bytes) in /home/nation/phpBB3/cache/tpl_prosilver-ns_overall_header.html.php on line 93


I'm getting various versions of this in trying to port in Slag's Archaeological thread. I've been breaking the post preview down to smaller and smaller bits, but so far, its still popping up.

I started with that thread as it was one of the longest, so that if there were problems with that, we might catch them before we get some of these gigantic threads going on here then find out for some reason, we can only post so much. ;)

Have I exceeded my daily posting, or some problem of the sort, or are there limits to how big a thread itself can get?

Re: The Forums, they have their limits?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:06 pm
by Dread Lady Nathicana
UPDATE:

I think it was some special characters in the post that set things off, not the length of the post.

When I removed the accented letters and replaced them with regular ones, I was able to preview perfectly. Foreign language bits - not sure how you have that handled/set up, but after going through line by line, removing those is what made it work. Hope that helps somehow.

Re: The Forums, they have their limits?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:51 pm
by [violet]
Interesting, thanks. Please let me know if you identify specific characters that cause that error.

Re: The Forums, they have their limits?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:23 am
by Adihan
Quick test with the more common foreign-language letters of éáíóúèàìòùñã, and there doesn't seem to be this problem. Might be an issue with the accents coupled with post lengths?

Re: The Forums, they have their limits?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:36 pm
by Reploid Productions
When I was copying over the Bastard Mod thread to the Archive, I hit the error a few times, but it seemed to be triggered by length of the post. (But once or twice it gave me the error, but still posted the post correctly.... which caused me to triple-post the thread the first night.)

The character limit right now is at 60,000 characters, but that can be adjusted if we need to.

Re: The Forums, they have their limits?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:32 am
by Ardchoille
Is there a character limit on posts? I posted a medium length (for me) post for the Strangers' Bar, and couldn't hold the bottom lines still to highlight phrases for colour and size. I ended up typing the whole [COLOR=XXXX{Size=XXX strings in by hand, which was annoying, since the colours went by numbers that I had to look up. Also, as my par moved towards the end of the post, the bottom four or five lines stopped showing up in the post panel and I had to keep scrolling back to them to type.

Could be a problem for WA proposal posts, but I didn't run into it when merely posting copied posts for replacement threads.

NOTE: Using IE, not Firefox.

Re: The Forums, they have their limits?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:29 am
by Reploid Productions
Yeah, the limit is 60,000 characters per post.

Re: The Forums, they have their limits?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:17 am
by Ardchoille
Ah, sorry, I saw that figure in your earlier post, but I thought you meant 60,000 per thread.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:03 pm
by Jones hut
what's the limit for posts?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:06 pm
by Luna Amore
@Jones Hut*** Warned for excessive gravedigging ***
The next stop is a ban if you don't stop gravedigging threads. I recommend you read over the rules.