NATION

PASSWORD

New World Census Rankings (and other big update things)

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:01 pm

[violet] wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:So... it used to be that, in the census listings, your own nation is listed in bold, making it easy to pick out. Why was this changed?

It wasn't. What are you seeing?
I had another look. The problem is specific to the Antiquity theme.

Apparently, the other themes (Century, Conservative/Liberal, etc.) are layered on top of a shared "base" stylesheet, with the theme's own stylesheet only describing the theme's differences from this base, but Antiquity does not use this base stylesheet and defines everything from scratch. The tr.thisisme rule was moved to the base stylesheet rather than the sheets for individual themes, so Antiquity is missing out.

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:43 pm

^ Thanks, added to Antiquity.

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:52 am

When I visit another nation's page in Antiquity theme, I get a error message above the trophies, such as "System Error (eval) at Wed Mar 16 06:50:48 2016."
Last edited by Minoa on Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:19 pm

Minoa wrote:When I visit another nation's page in Antiquity theme, I get a error message above the trophies, such as "System Error (eval) at Wed Mar 16 06:50:48 2016."
I've been using Antiquity all along and have never seen this problem. Are you sure it wasn't a temporary error?

Leppikania
Minister

Founded: Apr 13, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leppikania » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:24 pm

Can the link to the analysis page be readded? That's actually a really useful page.
INTP, -4.25 Economic Left/Right, -4.1 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian, tastes like chicken.
I do use NS stats, thank you very much.
Funny Quotes
Pie charts for industries
Request an Embassy

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:26 pm

Minoa wrote:When I visit another nation's page in Antiquity theme, I get a error message above the trophies, such as "System Error (eval) at Wed Mar 16 06:50:48 2016."

I see it in the logs. Which nation were you viewing?

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:00 pm

[violet] wrote:

I see it in the logs. Which nation were you viewing?

Virtually all nations in my region, Minoa.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:21 pm

Fixed now?

Menta Lee-IL
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 22, 2006
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Menta Lee-IL » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:58 am

Menta Lee-IL wrote:Just chose the add more police option for the graffiti artist issue, and the resulting stats showed a decrease in law enforcement spending and defense? Seems illogical to me? Apologies if this is the wrong thread.

Further to my post above, i received the issue "Where have all the flowers gone?" and chose the option which results in dissidents being executed. The result? Increased civil rights. There have been quite a few issues which result in contradictory effects, such as this and the one mentioned above. I have no clue how killing off dissidents could possibly lead to better civil rights.
Are you a dictator? Are you psychotic? JOIN PSYCHOTIC DICTATORSHIPS! ACT NOW: JOIN AND GET YOUR *FREE* BOUFFANT TODAY!

The Lonesome Pine
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 27, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Lonesome Pine » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:10 am

Why does boosting the army's budget (147.1) increase Inclusiveness?

Floor 448
Envoy

Founded: Mar 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Floor 448 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:19 am

Menta Lee-IL wrote:
Menta Lee-IL wrote:Just chose the add more police option for the graffiti artist issue, and the resulting stats showed a decrease in law enforcement spending and defense? Seems illogical to me? Apologies if this is the wrong thread.

Further to my post above, i received the issue "Where have all the flowers gone?" and chose the option which results in dissidents being executed. The result? Increased civil rights. There have been quite a few issues which result in contradictory effects, such as this and the one mentioned above. I have no clue how killing off dissidents could possibly lead to better civil rights.

The Lonesome Pine wrote:Why does boosting the army's budget (147.1) increase Inclusiveness?

[MEGATHREAD] Unusual Issue Effects Since Update
Guess who I am! Or, rather, was.
Speak of the Devil, and he shall appear. He gets a notification that someone mentioned him.
When posting an image for me, please don't use Imgur.
Cumberlanda wrote:I, for one, am currently happy with our robot oppressors.

Gest II wrote:Somehow that was interpreted to mean: those foreign devils and their squiggly languages are incapable of learning Her Majesty's Tongue.
And now that I've gotten used to StackOverflow, I can't seem to wrap my head around not being able to edit posts with terrible spelling and/or grammar.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:21 am

Floor 448 wrote:
The Lonesome Pine wrote:Why does boosting the army's budget (147.1) increase Inclusiveness?

[MEGATHREAD] Unusual Issue Effects Since Update

:blush:

Oops! That was where I meant to post this.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:16 pm

It does so explicitly, so this is a question for Editors.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:23 pm

Menta Lee-IL wrote:i received the issue "Where have all the flowers gone?" and chose the option which results in dissidents being executed. The result? Increased civil rights. There have been quite a few issues which result in contradictory effects, such as this and the one mentioned above. I have no clue how killing off dissidents could possibly lead to better civil rights.

This issue choice generally leads to a widespread restriction of freedoms. However, there is one area where it loosens freedoms: gun control. In Menta Lee-IL, government control was already so absolute that there was nothing left to restrict, so this didn't change Civil Rights like it normally would. What was left was the small loosening of gun laws, which is a personal freedom and a part of Civil Rights.

Worth nothing that this was a very small change, as Civil Rights rose from 1.46 to 1.54 on a scale from 0 to 100. That is, Civil Rights were and still are almost non-existent in this nation. They are just slightly more existent than they used to be, since citizens are more free to own guns.
Last edited by [violet] on Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:29 am

[violet] wrote:

It does so explicitly, so this is a question for Editors.

More funding -> more recruits -> recruits from different backgrounds mingling/training/developing camaraderie together -> increases inclusiveness.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:09 am

Sanctaria wrote:
[violet] wrote:It does so explicitly, so this is a question for Editors.

More funding -> more recruits -> recruits from different backgrounds mingling/training/developing camaraderie together -> increases inclusiveness.

Thank you.
Hokay, I can understand that.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Mostrov
Minister

Founded: Aug 06, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mostrov » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:10 am

Last edited by Mostrov on Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:25 pm

Mostrov wrote:The option to go between various census is missing in both Rift and Antiquity, which makes it very awkward to look at multiple census or use it with multiple nations.

Thanks. Fixed a couple of cases where the selectors could go missing in Antiquity and Century themes.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:44 pm

So, I would still really like it if the censi could be made to show actual values, as well as the rankings.

Here's a mock-up of what I mean:

ImageNationWA CategoryMotto
1.Image The Confederacy of Undivulged PrinciplesCivil Rights Lovefest"What goes around, comes around."37883.94
2.Image The Republic of Jotinha ImageInoffensive Centrist Democracy"Don't mistake my kindness for weakness"32316.15
3.Image The Grand Principality of Nova Prutenia ImageLeft-wing Utopia"Amicitia et Aequitas"31504.85
4.Image The Vermindom of SzczuropolisNew York Times Democracy"Omnium rerum rattus mensura est."31150.96
5.Image The Free Republic of VontanasLeft-wing Utopia"Xia Ren, Shang Mu"27873.32

Maybe with "Mozzarella Productivity Index" filling in the blank cell in the top right, although that might take up too much width.

This would be very useful for, say, telling whether the first-place nation is far ahead of the second-place nation or if it's a close contest, and just quickly accessing values you're interested in in general.

(Also, this makes me notice that we don't have an [img=36x24] tag like I've seen on other forums.)

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:09 am

Trotterdam wrote:So, I would still really like it if the censi could be made to show actual values, as well as the rankings.

*(mock-up snipped)*

This would be very useful for, say, telling whether the first-place nation is far ahead of the second-place nation or if it's a close contest, and just quickly accessing values you're interested in in general.

Agreed.
I actually asked for this years ago, back on Jolt, and at that time IIRC it went onto [violet]'s "not a bad idea, but not the highest priority" list...

Flanderlion
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:18 am

Also similar, when you are comparing region ranks in smaller region, it'd be a lot easier if there was an option to add all nations in your region. Obviously in a GCR etc. that'd screw things up.

Example: http://www.nationstates.net/nation=kark ... dd_region=
If there was an option to add a 'add_all_region' which added every single nation in the region onto the graph, you'd be able to see how you compared stats wise in general and how far it is to the top. Then again it might be a lot of work for a small reward, I'm not sure how the code on the backend works.
As always, I'm representing myself.
Information
Wishlist

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:57 pm

Just noticed a minor bug:

If you click on a regional trophy on a region page (that is, a trophy awarded to the region, not in the region), it takes you to a list of nations in the region by that ranking. This is generally useful for telling just who contributed most to any given trophy... but it doesn't work if the trophy in question is for Most Nations.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:34 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Just noticed a minor bug:

If you click on a regional trophy on a region page (that is, a trophy awarded to the region, not in the region), it takes you to a list of nations in the region by that ranking. This is generally useful for telling just who contributed most to any given trophy... but it doesn't work if the trophy in question is for Most Nations.

Because everybody's score is 1? Not sure I get your point. An alphabetical list is more useful than a list of nations sorted by number of nations per nation.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:26 pm

Probably the most useful would be a link to the list of regions-in-the-world, rather than nations-in-the-region, by Most Nations. If that would be too incongruent (due to working different from every other trophy in the same listing), though, even just making that trophy not a link would make more sense than making it a broken link to something that has nothing to do with what you clicked on. There are other ways to get a generic nations-in-the-region listing.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:51 pm

Can we pretend that it is ranking nations in order of nations per nation and secondarily sorting on name?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical