NATION

PASSWORD

Stately - a NationStates app for Android

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Remove ads

Greater Tern
Envoy

Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Greater Tern » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:47 pm

Valentine Z wrote:Yeah, thank you very much for this wonderful app! As someone who just recently got an Android (used to be on iPhone 6 Plus), it was really a breeze to skim through answering issues for 10 nations.

Thanks, glad you like it!

Valentine Z wrote:So far, I think it's great. Just a couple of points, nothing major:

- Stats cannot be sorted in A-Z in rankings.

Hmm, I've been thinking of adding a "Sort by: alphabetical" checkbox to the dialogue (which will override whatever option you have selected), but I felt it would be out of place. I could try looking into that again.

Valentine Z wrote:- Stats graph seems limited. As in, they only provide the stats of a month or so.

This will be fixed in the next update to match what NS does in game.

Eluvatar
Site Admin

Founded: Mar 31, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:14 am

A question for you, Greater Tern. If we added some API endpoints that required reCAPTCHA but allowed a mobile client to perform restricted actions without HTML scraping, would this be useful to you?

Any other related thoughts?

(Asking publicly because if others also have helpful thoughts to contribute that's a good thing.)
To Serve and Protect: UDL

Eluvatar - Taijitu member

Australian rePublic
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:09 pm

Based on the Google Play reviews, I think that you should specify that you do not operate NationStates, and are meerly a platform for it. It seems to me that many discovered NS through Stately and would not have known about it otherwise. I know, it says unofficial app for NationStates, but...

ALSO, when you have the trends page that says highest and lowest quips per hour (under intelligence, for example) could you please maybe put current
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spelt as "rePublic" because I no longer oppose the queen's rule
As a Greek, Australian and person who hates BS, I may be abrupt and to the point. This is a reflection of my personality, not your work. I appologise if I offend you
I pledge to my loyalty to Australia, Greece and Jesus Christ
Western Sydney Represent!
9 published issues

Greater Tern
Envoy

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Greater Tern » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:43 pm

Eluvatar wrote:A question for you, Greater Tern. If we added some API endpoints that required reCAPTCHA but allowed a mobile client to perform restricted actions without HTML scraping, would this be useful to you?

Any other related thoughts?

(Asking publicly because if others also have helpful thoughts to contribute that's a good thing.)

Not sure how other devs feel, but I probably wouldn't use an API restricted by reCAPTCHA, mainly because the development overhead for maintaining the Android reCAPTCHA library would be the same if not greater than keeping the existing HTML scraping logic. I can see why you'd want to restrict those actions with reCAPTCHA, though.

Australian rePublic wrote:Based on the Google Play reviews, I think that you should specify that you do not operate NationStates, and are meerly a platform for it. It seems to me that many discovered NS through Stately and would not have known about it otherwise. I know, it says unofficial app for NationStates, but...

ALSO, when you have the trends page that says highest and lowest quips per hour (under intelligence, for example) could you please maybe put current

I mean, if people aren't gonna read the current description, they're probably not gonna read any other warnings I add there. For the reviews (and the occasional telegram) that I get about NationStates itself, I usually just explain that I don't actually control the site in any way.

If you're referring to the current value of each census stat, that should be displayed on the top-right corner of the graph card.

Greater Tern
Envoy

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Greater Tern » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:05 am

Stately 1.10.2 is now available on Google Play, the Amazon Appstore and GitHub. This update brings several improvements to censuses in the app, such as support for Average Disposable Income, alphabetical sort and trend graphs extended to two years. There's also some visual improvements to the WA and World pages.

Feedback is welcome as always!

Valentine Z
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Valentine Z » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:03 am

Greater Tern wrote:Stately 1.10.2 is now available on Google Play, the Amazon Appstore and GitHub. This update brings several improvements to censuses in the app, such as support for Average Disposable Income, alphabetical sort and trend graphs extended to two years. There's also some visual improvements to the WA and World pages.

Using the latest version now. Thanks for the wonderful update, it's great! :D

I understand the trend graph can only be extended to two years, because that's from the website itself, not the app-limitation. Seems like the trends are only kept since ~ Feb 2016.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glory to De Sierlijke und Verwonderlijk Feline Utopia et its Heerlijk Autonomous Opperheerschappij ov Valentine Z !
Inspired by Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy, here's our guide to the Multiverse!
Anna Star, if Valentine Z itself is a person. | Roleplay Personnel | Our theme song!
News bulletin: Meow Missiles for sale! // Chief Aviator Gwen just saw Reality, broke NS' Fourth Wall. "We are in a bloody simulation!" yells Gwen. // Valentine Z scored 0.999 out of 1 on Gross National Happiness Index. No surprise there.
The primary nation. About me.
• Eat my freaking tranquility. - A Zenyatta main
• I don't have OCD; I'm just a weirdo.
• When a dog smiles, the evil in the world dies.
• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.

Phydios
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Phydios » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:22 am

Valentine Z wrote:
Greater Tern wrote:Stately 1.10.2 is now available on Google Play, the Amazon Appstore and GitHub. This update brings several improvements to censuses in the app, such as support for Average Disposable Income, alphabetical sort and trend graphs extended to two years. There's also some visual improvements to the WA and World pages.

Using the latest version now. Thanks for the wonderful update, it's great! :D

I understand the trend graph can only be extended to two years, because that's from the website itself, not the app-limitation. Seems like the trends are only kept since ~ Feb 2016.

Yes, that was when the issues system received a huge overhaul (and more detailed recording of stats began as a result). The first date stored is Feb 28, 2016. The main trend graph does have data from before that, but it's undated.
Romans 1:18-2:29, Ephesians 2:1-10
But God’s angry displeasure erupts as acts of human mistrust and wrongdoing and lying accumulate, as people try to put a shroud over truth. But the basic reality of God is plain enough. Open your eyes and there it is! | Those people are on a dark spiral downward. But if you think that leaves you on the high ground where you can point your finger at others, think again. Every time you criticize someone, you condemn yourself. | It’s a wonder God didn’t lose His temper and do away with the whole lot of us. Instead, immense in mercy and with an incredible love, He embraced us. He took our sin-dead lives and made us alive in Christ. He did all this on His own, with no help from us!

Pilarcraft
Minister

Founded: Dec 19, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Pilarcraft » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:26 am

It's a wonderful app, and has saved me numerous times when I didn't have access to my laptop. I salute you!
Just a question, is implementing a Factbook segment to the app implausible?
Confederal Alliance of PilarcraftThat world will cease to be
Konfederaligallestaten du PilarkraftDar verden halt dar lebe.

Led by The Triumvirate
Part of the Prime-world and member of The Middleman Entente.
Hi! call me Pilar.
Let's make the Left libertarian again!
Bopindar Daily Press: Witch Hunters, Warlocks, and Paladin from all over the country begin traveling to Western Reach as evidence of Forsworn Activity is revealed by the CNM | The 'AI Citizenship Act' passes 642-257. | C.L Hoag's suggestion for a third increase in military shut down by a Lhutonics led bloc in the Dorenligar.| The colonies of New Berun and New Bopindar (Mars), and New Frontier (Pluto) all completely operational.

Greater Tern
Envoy

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Greater Tern » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:59 pm

Valentine Z wrote:Using the latest version now. Thanks for the wonderful update, it's great! :D

Glad you like it. Thanks for the suggestions!

Pilarcraft wrote:It's a wonderful app, and has saved me numerous times when I didn't have access to my laptop. I salute you!
Just a question, is implementing a Factbook segment to the app implausible?

Glad you find it useful! Factbook support is something I'm looking into, but it's hard to build something from scratch that can render something like this factbook on mobile.

Valentine Z
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Valentine Z » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:47 am

Ooh yeah, another suggestion: Would it be all right for you to implement a y-axis zoom for the stats? The x-axis zoom is great to see certain periods of time, but the small changes in the stats can make the chart look pretty flat.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glory to De Sierlijke und Verwonderlijk Feline Utopia et its Heerlijk Autonomous Opperheerschappij ov Valentine Z !
Inspired by Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy, here's our guide to the Multiverse!
Anna Star, if Valentine Z itself is a person. | Roleplay Personnel | Our theme song!
News bulletin: Meow Missiles for sale! // Chief Aviator Gwen just saw Reality, broke NS' Fourth Wall. "We are in a bloody simulation!" yells Gwen. // Valentine Z scored 0.999 out of 1 on Gross National Happiness Index. No surprise there.
The primary nation. About me.
• Eat my freaking tranquility. - A Zenyatta main
• I don't have OCD; I'm just a weirdo.
• When a dog smiles, the evil in the world dies.
• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.

Greater Tern
Envoy

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Greater Tern » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:47 pm

Valentine Z wrote:Ooh yeah, another suggestion: Would it be all right for you to implement a y-axis zoom for the stats? The x-axis zoom is great to see certain periods of time, but the small changes in the stats can make the chart look pretty flat.

I can look into it.

Previous

Remove ads

Return to Technical