NATION

PASSWORD

Stately - a NationStates app for Android

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Greater Tern
Envoy

Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Greater Tern » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:47 pm

Valentine Z wrote:Yeah, thank you very much for this wonderful app! As someone who just recently got an Android (used to be on iPhone 6 Plus), it was really a breeze to skim through answering issues for 10 nations.

Thanks, glad you like it!

Valentine Z wrote:So far, I think it's great. Just a couple of points, nothing major:

- Stats cannot be sorted in A-Z in rankings.

Hmm, I've been thinking of adding a "Sort by: alphabetical" checkbox to the dialogue (which will override whatever option you have selected), but I felt it would be out of place. I could try looking into that again.

Valentine Z wrote:- Stats graph seems limited. As in, they only provide the stats of a month or so.

This will be fixed in the next update to match what NS does in game.

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

Founded: Mar 31, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:14 am

A question for you, Greater Tern. If we added some API endpoints that required reCAPTCHA but allowed a mobile client to perform restricted actions without HTML scraping, would this be useful to you?

Any other related thoughts?

(Asking publicly because if others also have helpful thoughts to contribute that's a good thing.)
To Serve and Protect: UDL

Eluvatar - Taijitu member

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:09 pm

Based on the Google Play reviews, I think that you should specify that you do not operate NationStates, and are meerly a platform for it. It seems to me that many discovered NS through Stately and would not have known about it otherwise. I know, it says unofficial app for NationStates, but...

ALSO, when you have the trends page that says highest and lowest quips per hour (under intelligence, for example) could you please maybe put current
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Greater Tern
Envoy

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Greater Tern » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:43 pm

Eluvatar wrote:A question for you, Greater Tern. If we added some API endpoints that required reCAPTCHA but allowed a mobile client to perform restricted actions without HTML scraping, would this be useful to you?

Any other related thoughts?

(Asking publicly because if others also have helpful thoughts to contribute that's a good thing.)

Not sure how other devs feel, but I probably wouldn't use an API restricted by reCAPTCHA, mainly because the development overhead for maintaining the Android reCAPTCHA library would be the same if not greater than keeping the existing HTML scraping logic. I can see why you'd want to restrict those actions with reCAPTCHA, though.

Australian rePublic wrote:Based on the Google Play reviews, I think that you should specify that you do not operate NationStates, and are meerly a platform for it. It seems to me that many discovered NS through Stately and would not have known about it otherwise. I know, it says unofficial app for NationStates, but...

ALSO, when you have the trends page that says highest and lowest quips per hour (under intelligence, for example) could you please maybe put current

I mean, if people aren't gonna read the current description, they're probably not gonna read any other warnings I add there. For the reviews (and the occasional telegram) that I get about NationStates itself, I usually just explain that I don't actually control the site in any way.

If you're referring to the current value of each census stat, that should be displayed on the top-right corner of the graph card.

Greater Tern
Envoy

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Greater Tern » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:05 am

Stately 1.10.2 is now available on Google Play, the Amazon Appstore and GitHub. This update brings several improvements to censuses in the app, such as support for Average Disposable Income, alphabetical sort and trend graphs extended to two years. There's also some visual improvements to the WA and World pages.

Feedback is welcome as always!

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:03 am

Greater Tern wrote:Stately 1.10.2 is now available on Google Play, the Amazon Appstore and GitHub. This update brings several improvements to censuses in the app, such as support for Average Disposable Income, alphabetical sort and trend graphs extended to two years. There's also some visual improvements to the WA and World pages.

Using the latest version now. Thanks for the wonderful update, it's great! :D

I understand the trend graph can only be extended to two years, because that's from the website itself, not the app-limitation. Seems like the trends are only kept since ~ Feb 2016.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014

Postby Phydios » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:22 am

Valentine Z wrote:
Greater Tern wrote:Stately 1.10.2 is now available on Google Play, the Amazon Appstore and GitHub. This update brings several improvements to censuses in the app, such as support for Average Disposable Income, alphabetical sort and trend graphs extended to two years. There's also some visual improvements to the WA and World pages.

Using the latest version now. Thanks for the wonderful update, it's great! :D

I understand the trend graph can only be extended to two years, because that's from the website itself, not the app-limitation. Seems like the trends are only kept since ~ Feb 2016.

Yes, that was when the issues system received a huge overhaul (and more detailed recording of stats began as a result). The first date stored is Feb 28, 2016. The main trend graph does have data from before that, but it's undated.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Pilarcraft
Senator

Founded: Dec 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Pilarcraft » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:26 am

It's a wonderful app, and has saved me numerous times when I didn't have access to my laptop. I salute you!
Just a question, is implementing a Factbook segment to the app implausible?
The Confederal Alliance of Pilarcraft ✺ That world will cease to be
Led by The Triumvirate.
OOC | Military | History |Language | Overview | Parties | Q&A | Factbooks
Proud Civic Persian Nationalist
B.P.D.: Dossier on parallel home-worlds released, will be updated regularly to include more encountered in the Convergence.

Greater Tern
Envoy

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Greater Tern » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:59 pm

Valentine Z wrote:Using the latest version now. Thanks for the wonderful update, it's great! :D

Glad you like it. Thanks for the suggestions!

Pilarcraft wrote:It's a wonderful app, and has saved me numerous times when I didn't have access to my laptop. I salute you!
Just a question, is implementing a Factbook segment to the app implausible?

Glad you find it useful! Factbook support is something I'm looking into, but it's hard to build something from scratch that can render something like this factbook on mobile.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:47 am

Ooh yeah, another suggestion: Would it be all right for you to implement a y-axis zoom for the stats? The x-axis zoom is great to see certain periods of time, but the small changes in the stats can make the chart look pretty flat.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Greater Tern
Envoy

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Greater Tern » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:47 pm

Valentine Z wrote:Ooh yeah, another suggestion: Would it be all right for you to implement a y-axis zoom for the stats? The x-axis zoom is great to see certain periods of time, but the small changes in the stats can make the chart look pretty flat.

I can look into it.

Bengal and Assam
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bengal and Assam » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:00 am

Does Stately support NSForums?I am an RP guy,so I'm more active on the forums than on the game itself,so I would be happy for Forum Support,if it's not there....
A country with a mixed Bengali, British and Oriental population and culture. NSStats not Used...
Led By Susan Itai... Mostly MT, with some elements of FT.
GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!
NEWS: BBSOne
Story Thread: Rise of the North, a Canada ISOT

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014

Postby Phydios » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:30 am

Bengal and Assam wrote:Does Stately support NSForums?I am an RP guy,so I'm more active on the forums than on the game itself,so I would be happy for Forum Support,if it's not there....

It does not. NS does not allow scripts to act like a logged-in user in any way, so there's no point in adding forum support to Stately. There are better apps for that, or so I've heard.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:39 pm

I'm not sure if it is from my side or otherwise, but I cannot seem to log in with the app constantly telling me that the password or the nation name is wrong.

Just to double check, I have the correct nation name and password on the actual website, so... Yeah.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:06 am

Valentine Z wrote:I'm not sure if it is from my side or otherwise, but I cannot seem to log in with the app constantly telling me that the password or the nation name is wrong.

Just to double check, I have the correct nation name and password on the actual website, so... Yeah.

Is whatever device you're using set up to use 'predictive text'? there have been cases in the past where that made incorrect assumptions about nations' names or passwords, resulting in errors like this...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:29 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:I'm not sure if it is from my side or otherwise, but I cannot seem to log in with the app constantly telling me that the password or the nation name is wrong.

Is whatever device you're using set up to use 'predictive text'? there have been cases in the past where that made incorrect assumptions about nations' names or passwords, resulting in errors like this...

Ahh... might be it, but it worked for me last time even with predictive on.

And I did type my password and nation letter by letter. I tried copy-and-paste, it didn't work, so I spelled both entries ("Valentine Z" and the password) carefully.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Greater Tern
Envoy

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Greater Tern » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:15 pm

Valentine Z wrote:Ahh... might be it, but it worked for me last time even with predictive on.

And I did type my password and nation letter by letter. I tried copy-and-paste, it didn't work, so I spelled both entries ("Valentine Z" and the password) carefully.

Sorry for the late reply. So a bunch of people have been getting this but I've never been able to isolate the issue. It's interesting that it's completely possible for the issue to set in even when it was working before.

Have you tried reinstalling the app? Could you try logging in with a different nation?

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:26 pm

Greater Tern wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:Ahh... might be it, but it worked for me last time even with predictive on.

Sorry for the late reply. So a bunch of people have been getting this but I've never been able to isolate the issue. It's interesting that it's completely possible for the issue to set in even when it was working before.

Have you tried reinstalling the app? Could you try logging in with a different nation?

Oh hey, it's all right! :D Thanks for replying back to me as well!

Hmm, let me give it a go. As for using different nations (I tried Valentine Z, Alanis Star, and Samantha-Higgs, 3 of my nations), didn't work.

Let me try re-installing it.

EDIT: Aie, after re-installing it, I tried it with Vostrov and Victoriaans Nederlands, 2 of my nations... Still didn't work. Just to make sure, I typed the nation name and the password letter by letter instead of a copy-paste.

It did show on my computer that "Someone tried to log in with an incorrect password", with that someone being me using Stately.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Greater Tern
Envoy

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Greater Tern » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:13 am

Valentine Z wrote:Oh hey, it's all right! :D Thanks for replying back to me as well!

Hmm, let me give it a go. As for using different nations (I tried Valentine Z, Alanis Star, and Samantha-Higgs, 3 of my nations), didn't work.

Let me try re-installing it.

EDIT: Aie, after re-installing it, I tried it with Vostrov and Victoriaans Nederlands, 2 of my nations... Still didn't work. Just to make sure, I typed the nation name and the password letter by letter instead of a copy-paste.

It did show on my computer that "Someone tried to log in with an incorrect password", with that someone being me using Stately.

That's really weird. What version of Android are you using? Have you made any changes to your phone recently? (e.g. update Android, change the keyboard)

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:25 pm

Greater Tern wrote:
That's really weird. What version of Android are you using? Have you made any changes to your phone recently? (e.g. update Android, change the keyboard)

Ahh, currently Android 8.0.0, on LG V30+. Come to think of it... the app works when I was using Android 7+. I'm not sure if it affects it, but I'll just put it out here. Keyboard is more or less the same.

And I also changed my password after someone* tried to log into one of my puppets. AFAIK, it did happen right after the password change.

* This someone happens to be someone trying to log in; it wasn't me failing the log-in on Stately.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Greater Tern
Envoy

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Greater Tern » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:47 pm

Valentine Z wrote:Ahh, currently Android 8.0.0, on LG V30+. Come to think of it... the app works when I was using Android 7+. I'm not sure if it affects it, but I'll just put it out here. Keyboard is more or less the same.

And I also changed my password after someone* tried to log into one of my puppets. AFAIK, it did happen right after the password change.

* This someone happens to be someone trying to log in; it wasn't me failing the log-in on Stately.

Would you mind creating a new test nation and seeing if you can log in with that? Thank you so much for bearing with me.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:12 am

Greater Tern wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:Ahh, currently Android 8.0.0, on LG V30+. Come to think of it... the app works when I was using Android 7+. I'm not sure if it affects it, but I'll just put it out here. Keyboard is more or less the same.

Would you mind creating a new test nation and seeing if you can log in with that? Thank you so much for bearing with me.

I created this new nation, and nope, even with manual typing and stuff, doesn't work. :/
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Greater Tern
Envoy

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Greater Tern » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:43 pm

Valentine Z wrote:I created this new nation, and nope, even with manual typing and stuff, doesn't work. :/

Thanks for the information! There's something I could potentially try, but I'm not sure if it would work. If you're okay with it, I can send a beta version of the app via email (make a burner account and telegram the email to me). If you're not comfortable with that, I can just push out an update and hope for the best.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:56 pm

Greater Tern wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:I created this new nation, and nope, even with manual typing and stuff, doesn't work. :/

Thanks for the information! There's something I could potentially try, but I'm not sure if it would work. If you're okay with it, I can send a beta version of the app via email (make a burner account and telegram the email to me). If you're not comfortable with that, I can just push out an update and hope for the best.

You're welcome, and sorry for the trouble as well!

I err... I think I'll wait for the update instead.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Greater Tern
Envoy

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Greater Tern » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:16 am

Stately 1.10.3 is now available on Google Play, the Amazon Appstore and GitHub. This update contains a possible fix for the login issue, along with some improvements such as the ability to zoom along the y-axis on census trend graphs. Let me know what you think!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical