NATION

PASSWORD

Executive handed RMB lockouts (Game Idea)

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Riftey
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 19, 2015
Ex-Nation

Executive handed RMB lockouts (Game Idea)

Postby Riftey » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:41 pm

I get this isn't a thing Pre-RO but I don't see why it can't be done regardless.

Why not have an ability to place time lock on individual nations posting on the RMB. Opposed to having to ban people are arguing you just place a period of no speech onto said member of the region. Have it available to anyone with Communication abilities. I see this leading to ending a lot of arguments that then could either drag in more members or expand into something moderation is forced to come step down on; Giving out their own RMB bans then.

It should cost influence of course; I was thinking a day of no speech would be equivalent to that of ejecting said nation. Of course this wouldn't apply to the founder but for everyone else with communication tabs it would.

So what do you all think?

/Haven't posted a game idea in ages
About
Third Place Sexiest NSer 2K15
Largest Ego in Gameplay
Gameplay Ideology: Cause drama at any cost
Screw Democracy
Gameplay
Prophet of Sanctum
Watcher of Warzones
(Former) War Beserker of Cimmeria
(Former) MoFA of The Confederacy of Allied States

Prophet Alphonse Silverstorm
Independent Oppertunist

"Loyalty to my purpose - Loyalty to the end"

Nationstates and chill anyone? ;D

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:32 pm

Technical thoughts
I can tell you that even the mods don't have a timed RMB ban, so all of this would be new code. Also, limiting it to a single region rather than all RMB posting would involve quite a bit of record keeping for the game.

Gameplay / balance thoughts
The biggest objection I can think of is that it would be abused to keep unpopular players from posting, even with an influence cost. You could just drop timed bans one after another for weeks on end to shut somebody up. Even worse would be an influence-free Founder ban - founders are already autocratic enough. Suppression doesn't keep the posts from being read, it just adds a step. Ejections don't shut a player up, they just move their commentary to another region. Handing control over free speech to a small number of nations sounds like an awful idea to me.

Moderation thoughts
If your idea is to deal with spammers and other jerks, file a GHR. We may not be as quick off the mark as a RO, but our solution can be more permanent. We don't have a problem with more RMB reporting. It's not used all that much as it is. Plus, we're at one remove from the action, and can make the determination as to whether it's "speech" or "spam" without the emotional content of the whole argument.

Mind you, I think your suggestion is about cutting down speech, not spam. I think that's a terrible idea.

Riftey
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Riftey » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:19 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:Technical thoughts
I can tell you that even the mods don't have a timed RMB ban, so all of this would be new code. Also, limiting it to a single region rather than all RMB posting would involve quite a bit of record keeping for the game.

Ah okay. Good to know.

Frisbeeteria wrote:Gameplay / balance thoughts
The biggest objection I can think of is that it would be abused to keep unpopular players from posting, even with an influence cost. You could just drop timed bans one after another for weeks on end to shut somebody up. Even worse would be an influence-free Founder ban - founders are already autocratic enough. Suppression doesn't keep the posts from being read, it just adds a step. Ejections don't shut a player up, they just move their commentary to another region. Handing control over free speech to a small number of nations sounds like an awful idea to me.

If someone is disliked to that extent the governing members will find some form of justification to impose a Banjection.

Frisbeeteria wrote:Moderation thoughts
If your idea is to deal with spammers and other jerks, file a GHR. We may not be as quick off the mark as a RO, but our solution can be more permanent. We don't have a problem with more RMB reporting. It's not used all that much as it is. Plus, we're at one remove from the action, and can make the determination as to whether it's "speech" or "spam" without the emotional content of the whole argument

Gotcha

Either way with those points I guess you're right. Not the brightest of ideas.
About
Largest Ego in Gameplay
Screw Democracy
Gameplay
Prophet of Sanctum
Watcher of Warzones

Independent Oppertunist

Canton Empire
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Canton Empire » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:26 am

i like it, but it should be founder only with influence for them to
President of the Republic of Saint Osmund
Offically Called a Silly boy by the real Donald Johnson

Lockdownn
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lockdownn » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:29 am

Canton Empire wrote:i like it, but it should be founder only with influence for them to

Moderation thoughts
If your idea is to deal with spammers and other jerks, file a GHR. We may not be as quick off the mark as a RO, but our solution can be more permanent. We don't have a problem with more RMB reporting. It's not used all that much as it is. Plus, we're at one remove from the action, and can make the determination as to whether it's "speech" or "spam" without the emotional content of the whole argument.

Mind you, I think your suggestion is about cutting down speech, not spam. I think that's a terrible idea.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:30 pm

Lockdownn, you added nothing to the thread. There was no need for you to post.

Lockdownn
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lockdownn » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:25 pm

Sedgistan wrote:Lockdownn, you added nothing to the thread. There was no need for you to post.

Just pointing out to Canton how this idea isn't feasible. Sorry.
Last edited by Lockdownn on Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:03 pm

It's certainly technically feasible. The biggest amount of work would be in the UI. Not sure if there's much real demand for it, though, since it's pretty similar to suppression & ejection.

Canton Empire
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Canton Empire » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:47 am

[violet] wrote:It's certainly technically feasible. The biggest amount of work would be in the UI. Not sure if there's much real demand for it, though, since it's pretty similar to suppression & ejection.

The biggest thing is not wanting to have to eject long term members if they act up.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:38 am

Canton Empire wrote:
[violet] wrote:It's certainly technically feasible. The biggest amount of work would be in the UI. Not sure if there's much real demand for it, though, since it's pretty similar to suppression & ejection.

The biggest thing is not wanting to have to eject long term members if they act up.

If there is rule breaking, file a GHR. We mods are here to step in, in those cases, and take action where necessary.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Cresenthia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 03, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cresenthia » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:55 am

Mousebumples wrote:
Canton Empire wrote:The biggest thing is not wanting to have to eject long term members if they act up.

If there is rule breaking, file a GHR. We mods are here to step in, in those cases, and take action where necessary.

I think Canton means when a long-standing regional member is trying to get others to secede, or a similar situation which where posts are contrary to the wills of the regional executives.
Last edited by Cresenthia on Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Canton Empire
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Canton Empire » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:59 am

Cresenthia wrote:
Mousebumples wrote:If there is rule breaking, file a GHR. We mods are here to step in, in those cases, and take action where necessary.

I think Canton means when a long-standing regional member is trying to get others to secede, or a similar situation which where posts are contrary to the wills of the regional executives.

well, that's suppression of freedom of speech, which is the main argument against

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:09 am

Cresenthia wrote:
Mousebumples wrote:If there is rule breaking, file a GHR. We mods are here to step in, in those cases, and take action where necessary.

You do realize that most smart players would play things closer to the vest and try to get others to secede via TG rather than RMB post, right? Or at least, I'd think that would be the best way to amass support and ensure victory.

Anyhow, this is getting off-topic. I'm of the opinion that having this technical change added to the game would cause more trouble than it would be worth. ROs already have the ability to suppress posts if they want, for whatever reason they want. If you want to suppress these posts, that seems more than sufficient and that letting regions ban particular players from RMB chatter for no reason other than not wanting them to incite rebellion or something seems unnecessarily punitive.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:27 am

I'd certainly like it as a 'cool down' type feature, so that founders can gently give members a chance to calm down before posting again if they're messing up rather than simply having to eject them.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Riftey
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Riftey » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:13 pm

Canton Empire wrote:

This was a big reason behind me putting it forward. Ejecting people has then feeling excluded and that they are at fault; however stating these two or so members need a day or so of no talking would be good.

Mousebumples wrote:
Canton Empire wrote:The biggest thing is not wanting to have to eject long term members if they act up.

In the least offensive way of putting it - moderator intervention can cause unwanted drama. I'd much rather eject someone to have them possibly get deleted or given a consequence that multiple feel is not justified.

As I'm sure you've seen; flare ups can come from you guys stepping in. Either directed at them feeling it was unjustified or excessive. I for one have seen time and time again stuff boil offsite just cause you have said you won't have it on the site itself.

As a founder with control over the offsite communications and RMB I certainly feel it would lead to a much better way of dealing with peer dramas rather then someone waving around power saying they know best; even though they aren't a member of said community.
About
Largest Ego in Gameplay
Screw Democracy
Gameplay
Prophet of Sanctum
Watcher of Warzones

Independent Oppertunist

Flanderlion
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:02 am

Moderation thoughts

I pretty much agree with all of this. I think if (and I really hope it doesn't) this becomes a feature, it would be abused, and would still make people feel like they are 'excluded and that they are at fault'. Either they would feel like everyone is ignoring them (if they didn't know they were locked out of the RMB) or if they knew about it, they would have exactly the same feelings as being ejected. The entire original reason for ejections was to temporarily remove problems to the region, and banning was to make it permanent.

If something requires moderation intervention, as stated earlier, file a GHR. If not, suppress and/or eject/banject. I don't really see the point of something which main advantage as far as I can tell is to 'prevent hurt feelings', and it does not appear that it would be able to achieve even that.

Sorry for the snarky tone of my response, but I intensely dislike this idea, and I'm sure you can think of better.
As always, I'm representing myself.
Information
Wishlist

Elke and Elba
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:57 am

This is essentially a solution finding for a problem to fix.

I really don't get the insistence on Riftend's part, especially given the fact the reasoning against it has been reiterated over and over again and someone just can't find better arguments to counter those yet.
Represented permanently at the World Assembly by Benjamin Olafsen, and on an ad-hoc basis by Alethea Norrland and rarely Gaia Pao and Gabriel Dzichpol.
OOCly retired from the GA/SC for something called 'real life'.
Author of GA#288 and SC#148.
Ratateague wrote:NationStates seems to hate the Geneva Convention. I've lost count in how many times someone has tried to introduce something like it. Why they don't like it is a mystery to me. Probably a lot of jingoist wingnuts.
Ardchoille wrote:When you consider that (violet) once changed the colour of the whole game for one player ... you can understand how seriously NS takes its players.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:52 am

Flanderlion wrote:

Moderation thoughts

I pretty much agree with all of this. I think if (and I really hope it doesn't) this becomes a feature, it would be abused, and would still make people feel like they are 'excluded and that they are at fault'. Either they would feel like everyone is ignoring them (if they didn't know they were locked out of the RMB) or if they knew about it, they would have exactly the same feelings as being ejected. The entire original reason for ejections was to temporarily remove problems to the region, and banning was to make it permanent.

If something requires moderation intervention, as stated earlier, file a GHR. If not, suppress and/or eject/banject. I don't really see the point of something which main advantage as far as I can tell is to 'prevent hurt feelings', and it does not appear that it would be able to achieve even that.

Sorry for the snarky tone of my response, but I intensely dislike this idea, and I'm sure you can think of better.

Very sorry, but I completely disagree with you.
People causing arguments in a region can be extremely annoying as well as damaging for the region, so this feature would be very useful. And yes, those people causing arguments are being excluded and are at fault if they're locked out, what's the issue their? If they dislike ROs trying to sort their region out when they're causing problems, they're clearly 'tired of life' in that region so they can go byebye.
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:54 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
Flanderlion wrote:I pretty much agree with all of this. I think if (and I really hope it doesn't) this becomes a feature, it would be abused, and would still make people feel like they are 'excluded and that they are at fault'. Either they would feel like everyone is ignoring them (if they didn't know they were locked out of the RMB) or if they knew about it, they would have exactly the same feelings as being ejected. The entire original reason for ejections was to temporarily remove problems to the region, and banning was to make it permanent.

Very sorry, but I completely disagree with you.
People causing arguments in a region can be extremely annoying as well as damaging for the region, so this feature would be very useful. And yes, those people causing arguments are being excluded and are at fault if they're locked out, what's the issue their? If they dislike ROs trying to sort their region out when they're causing problems, they're clearly 'tired of life' in that region so they can go byebye.

Banjection is byebye. No need to lock them out of the RMB.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:39 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Very sorry, but I completely disagree with you.

Banjection is byebye. No need to lock them out of the RMB.

their is if they're only causing a temporary problem, such as when drunk for example.

Riftey
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Riftey » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:32 pm

Elke and Elba wrote:This is essentially a solution finding for a problem to fix.

I really don't get the insistence on Riftend's part, especially given the fact the reasoning against it has been reiterated over and over again and someone just can't find better arguments to counter those yet.

The dig wasn't warranted especially since I made clear I understand the idea being turned away; so shoving off would be just swell x

Doesn't change the fact I see merit in the idea though. Of course the issues pointed out are true tho.
About
Largest Ego in Gameplay
Screw Democracy
Gameplay
Prophet of Sanctum
Watcher of Warzones

Independent Oppertunist