NATION

PASSWORD

Regional Officers

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:11 pm

Mousebumples wrote:Possible Bug Report: One of my regionmates (with Communications RO power) send out a regional telegram via the Regional Admin page. (TG link here for mod/admin viewing) The "image/tag" on this telegram is External Telegram versus Region Telegram, which I think would make more sense since it's being sent by a regional officer.

This should be fixed for telegrams sent from now on.

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:18 pm

[violet] wrote:
The Monkey Brigades V wrote:I have held WAD for 12 hours, true, but I haven't appointed any RO's with border control as evidenced by the fact that no RO's have border control.......

So why am I waiting an extra day for something I should be able to do in 14 hours?

There was a bug that could prevent the counter from resetting on WA Delegate change. Now fixed. I also manually reset the counter in The Red Fleet Conning Tower.

Thanks for the report!

I just realized something when reading this post. NS is so complicated now, and its foundation is so badly designed for a website this size, that you must fix a million bugs a day, in addition to all the other work you do. (And this isn't even your full-time job, is it?) So thank you for all the effort you have put in and continue to put in to NationStates. It can't be easy.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Damanucus
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Damanucus » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:41 pm

Is there any way to reassign an existing (custom) office to another nation without having to go through the dismiss-assign procedure? I was just doing some post-regional election reassignment, and it just seemed pretty tedious having to dismiss a nation from an office (and thus destroying the office in the process), then assigning a new nation to a brand-new office with the same name and permissions as the one I just deleted.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:07 pm

No, there isn't, sorry.

Caelapes
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Caelapes » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:38 pm

Is it working-as-intended that an Executive WA Delegate who does not have Border Control authority through the WAD seat, but does through a Regional Office, spends the RO BC influence rather than the WAD BC influence cost? Shouldn't an executive WAD spend the lower WAD costs because of the implied authority even if BC is not explicitly granted through the WAD seat?

The Rose Commune of Caelapes
Ego vero custos fratris mei sum.
aka Misley

Damanucus
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Damanucus » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:53 pm

[violet] wrote:No, there isn't, sorry.

Any chance that could be implemented in? As I said, it's a little tedious doing the whole dismiss-assign thing.

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

Founded: Mar 31, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:28 pm

Caelapes wrote:Is it working-as-intended that an Executive WA Delegate who does not have Border Control authority through the WAD seat, but does through a Regional Office, spends the RO BC influence rather than the WAD BC influence cost? Shouldn't an executive WAD spend the lower WAD costs because of the implied authority even if BC is not explicitly granted through the WAD seat?

Perhaps the Founder wants it to be harder for the WAD to eject natives?
To Serve and Protect: UDL

Eluvatar - Taijitu member

Caelapes
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Caelapes » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:33 pm

Eluvatar wrote:
Caelapes wrote:Is it working-as-intended that an Executive WA Delegate who does not have Border Control authority through the WAD seat, but does through a Regional Office, spends the RO BC influence rather than the WAD BC influence cost? Shouldn't an executive WAD spend the lower WAD costs because of the implied authority even if BC is not explicitly granted through the WAD seat?

Perhaps the Founder wants it to be harder for the WAD to eject natives?

Then the Founder should remove Executive authority from the WAD.

The Rose Commune of Caelapes
Ego vero custos fratris mei sum.
aka Misley

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:36 pm

Caelapes wrote:Shouldn't an executive WAD spend the lower WAD costs because of the implied authority even if BC is not explicitly granted through the WAD seat?

I don't think so. In the situation you describe, the Delegate is exercising powers granted by an Office. They could exercise WA powers instead if they granted themselves that authority, but the fact is they haven't.

Lockdownn
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lockdownn » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:39 pm

More of a cosmetic "problem".

The login attempt message is overlapped by the ranks.

[edit] Same in "dark" as well:

Mind you, these are manually inflicted bad login attempts.
Last edited by Lockdownn on Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fotar
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 13, 2007
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Fotar » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:44 pm

I haven't been around in some time, so I am working on getting use to the changes, especially regarding Regional Officers.

My region The Council of Narnia appears to have two officers- myself as the Founder and my WA Delegate. However, we are not showing up in the WFE. I've searched high and low, in options and the forums, for some way to make this happen and I'm now convinced it should be showing up automatically?

Is this a bug, or do I need to do something? Thanks!
Founder and Lord Regent of the second Council of Narnia
One-time Delegate of Balder
Progress through Respect. Power through Honor.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:57 pm

Officers only show up in the WFE if you have at least one "nonstandard" officer (that is, besides the founder and delegate). Otherwise, the listing above the WFE is sufficient.

Fotar
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 13, 2007
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Fotar » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:01 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Officers only show up in the WFE if you have at least one "nonstandard" officer (that is, besides the founder and delegate). Otherwise, the listing above the WFE is sufficient.

Makes sense. Thank you very much!
Founder and Lord Regent of the second Council of Narnia
One-time Delegate of Balder
Progress through Respect. Power through Honor.

United German Regions
Envoy

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby United German Regions » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:50 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Officers only show up in the WFE if you have at least one "nonstandard" officer (that is, besides the founder and delegate). Otherwise, the listing above the WFE is sufficient.

No, I think (based on previous situations) that if you add one nonstandard officer then remove it that the Founder and WA Delegate will remain as you have addressed the topic of regional officers, I noticed this in some regions I have raided/owned. It doesn't always seem to happen though. Tested it in United German Regions
Founder of The Insane Region/Founder of The Embassy/Raider for few/Defender for all/International Contender/Conqueror of The Black Riders
I stand against CAIN
Pro: USA, Democracy, Military, Freedom, Fox News, Second Amendment, #AllLivesMatter, Racial Equality, Gender Equality, #BlueLivesMatter
Anti: Fascism, WA Security Council, Religious Extremism, The Nightly Show, #BlackLivesMatter, Segregation, Hillary Clinton, Heavy Feminism

United German Regions is supplying medical aid to numerous nations recovering from war | UGR investigators discovered the presence of slavery in Cresenthia to manufacture teddy bears | The leader of UGR has just eaten a samich

United German Regions
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby United German Regions » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:01 pm

United German Regions wrote:

No, I think (based on previous situations) that if you add one nonstandard officer then remove it that the Founder and WA Delegate will remain as you have addressed the topic of regional officers, I noticed this in some regions I have raided/owned. It doesn't always seem to happen though. Tested it in United German Regions

Waited a few hours on this and around update it removed the positions from the WFE so your best luck is to appoint yourself (the founder) as an officer to pin it to the WFE.
Founder of The Insane Region/Founder of The Embassy/Raider for few/Defender for all/International Contender/Conqueror of The Black Riders
I stand against CAIN
Pro: USA, Democracy, Military, Freedom, Fox News, Second Amendment, #AllLivesMatter, Racial Equality, Gender Equality, #BlueLivesMatter
Anti: Fascism, WA Security Council, Religious Extremism, The Nightly Show, #BlackLivesMatter, Segregation, Hillary Clinton, Heavy Feminism

United German Regions is supplying medical aid to numerous nations recovering from war | UGR investigators discovered the presence of slavery in Cresenthia to manufacture teddy bears | The leader of UGR has just eaten a samich

Tatarica
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tatarica » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:12 am

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding ROs. I apologize for not reading all of the previous pages, so please do not bash unto my head if the answer is out there already.

Can you please tell me if this course of action is correct?

- Assume the region has no active founder
- A native WAD is elected
- The native WAD appoints ROs with executive powers.
- If outside forces were to join in the region for takeover, the native WAD/ROs can use their executive powers to eject.
- Assume outside forces capture the delegate seat, appointing a new WAD
- By the powers of the new WAD, all previous ROs are instantly demoted.
Question: does this course of action not cost any influence? Question 2: Is this the way things should be - instant ROs dismissing?
- New WAD appoints new ROs with executive power
- Now all executive power in the region falls in the hands of the outside force, more equipped to handle on-game-update changes and more fast on the triggers.

From this perspective, isn't having ROs useful for the invading part, considering that most of the outside forces know how to play around the update thus tying the hands of the natives?
Has having ROs in a region not change at all since its implementation, a while ago? Is no-instant-RO-dismissing part of any future change?

Hopefully this made some sense to some, and can assist with some answers.

Thank you very much!

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

Founded: Mar 31, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:29 am

Tatarica wrote:- By the powers of the new WAD, all previous ROs are instantly demoted.
Question: does this course of action not cost any influence?

It does not.
Tatarica wrote:Question 2: Is this the way things should be - instant ROs dismissing?

I'm not sure. There's been considerable discussion in this topic.
Tatarica wrote:- New WAD appoints new ROs with executive power

Note: at this point, they are limited in their ability to appoint ROs with the Border Controls power: they must have been in office for 26 hours to appoint one, 52 hours to appoint a second, et cetera.
Tatarica wrote:- Now all executive power in the region falls in the hands of the outside force, more equipped to handle on-game-update changes and more fast on the triggers.

Gradually, yes.
Tatarica wrote:From this perspective, isn't having ROs useful for the invading part, considering that most of the outside forces know how to play around the update thus tying the hands of the natives?

That was the gist of defender complaints about this change, yes.
Tatarica wrote:Has having ROs in a region not change at all since its implementation, a while ago? Is no-instant-RO-dismissing part of any future change?

There have been changes since original implementation. First, appointing ROs with border controls (ejection, banning, passwording) has been delayed, insofar as a Delegate must serve about X days to make X appointments with this power. Furthermore, following discussions, an ejection rate limit was introduced: no region may eject any nation less than one second after a previous ejection. This reduces the ability of ROs to help hold onto a region by force. It does not, however, reduce their utility in emptying a region.
Tatarica wrote:Hopefully this made some sense to some, and can assist with some answers.

It did. I hope my answers are helpful.
Tatarica wrote:Thank you very much!

You're most welcome.
To Serve and Protect: UDL

Eluvatar - Taijitu member

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:59 am

Eluvatar wrote:
Tatarica wrote:From this perspective, isn't having ROs useful for the invading part, considering that most of the outside forces know how to play around the update thus tying the hands of the natives?

That was the gist of defender complaints about this change, yes.

Not just defenders: from the PoV of a non-r/d native, this was big-time suckage.
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
The Blaatschapen wrote:I'll still graze the forums with my presence
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

Tatarica
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tatarica » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:29 pm

Eluvatar wrote:
Tatarica wrote: * snip *
Hopefully this made some sense to some, and can assist with some answers.

It did. I hope my answers are helpful.

Your answers have been extremely helpful.

Thank you again!
Last edited by Tatarica on Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Floor 448
Envoy

Founded: Mar 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Floor 448 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:54 pm

Actually, I'd like to see Appearance officers being able to toggle events recorded in the Regional History page. It'd be extremely helpful for regions like The Embassy and DEN who have their history cluttered up with embassy events. Obviously, some events couldn't be turned off, such as founding the region.
Guess who I am! Or, rather, was.
Speak of the Devil, and he shall appear. He gets a notification that someone mentioned him.
When posting an image for me, please don't use Imgur.
Cumberlanda wrote:I, for one, am currently happy with our robot oppressors.

Gest II wrote:Somehow that was interpreted to mean: those foreign devils and their squiggly languages are incapable of learning Her Majesty's Tongue.
And now that I've gotten used to StackOverflow, I can't seem to wrap my head around not being able to edit posts with terrible spelling and/or grammar.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:04 pm

Floor 448 wrote:It'd be extremely helpful for regions like DEN who have their history cluttered up with embassy events.
If raiding regions to force them to open embassies with you is so unpleasant, maybe you could stop doing it?

Flanderlion
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:23 pm

Floor 448 wrote:Actually, I'd like to see Appearance officers being able to toggle events recorded in the Regional History page. It'd be extremely helpful for regions like The Embassy and DEN who have their history cluttered up with embassy events. Obviously, some events couldn't be turned off, such as founding the region.

Regional History pages shouldn't be editable by players. If you as an end user could filter the page, possibly, but filtering it for everyone, I'm against.
As always, I'm representing myself.
Information
Wishlist

United German Regions
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby United German Regions » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:43 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Floor 448 wrote:It'd be extremely helpful for regions like DEN who have their history cluttered up with embassy events.
If raiding regions to force them to open embassies with you is so unpleasant, maybe you could stop doing it?

He just used two regions with lots of those, The Embassy doesn't raid, so what? You want us to stop building? I think maybe have a personal filter but as the founder of The Embassy, I see no reason to block others from reviewing the history, even though its alot on sight.
I stand against CAIN

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:35 pm

Opening embassies is the entire point of The Embassy's existence. It'd be kinda silly to hide those.

Guy
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Guy » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:22 pm

Rules around and the technical implementation of Regional Officers are not mentioned anywhere, I believe -- not in the FAQ (despite being an important part of the regional game, alongside Founders and Delegates) and not in the OSRS, as far as I can tell.
Commander of the Rejected Realms Army

[violet] wrote:Never underestimate the ability of admin to do nothing.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical