NATION

PASSWORD

Regional Officers

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:53 pm

When creating custom officer positions, I think it would be nice for us to have a drop-down list of icons to accompany the names that we're giving our officers.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:03 pm

I just discovered an error in one of the descriptions.

Communications: Can send region-wide telegrams without stamps, compose Welcome telegrams, suppress & unsuppress posts on the Region Message Board, and control who can recruit for the region.

I think you meant to type "Regional Message Board."
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Khanatah
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 06, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Khanatah » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:38 pm

Very happy to see this new feature enabled, but disappointed that the ability to rename the Delegate and Founder positions has apparently been removed. Will this be coming back? I had changed the titles for the positions before and it worked, but noticed that they've been changed back to the defaults and the option to change the titles has been removed from the regional controls. Hope whatever issues were caused by that specific feature are fixed soon! Good work by the way, love seeing this site grow.
Economic Left/Right: -10.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:46 pm

Khanatah wrote:Very happy to see this new feature enabled, but disappointed that the ability to rename the Delegate and Founder positions has apparently been removed. Will this be coming back? I had changed the titles for the positions before and it worked, but noticed that they've been changed back to the defaults and the option to change the titles has been removed from the regional controls. Hope whatever issues were caused by that specific feature are fixed soon! Good work by the way, love seeing this site grow.

Isn't that just an NS++ feature? That's how it appears for me in Regional Controls. Were you on a mobile device when you noticed the feature was missing?
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Zemnaya Svoboda
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 06, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Zemnaya Svoboda » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:09 am

Phydios wrote:
Khanatah wrote:Very happy to see this new feature enabled, but disappointed that the ability to rename the Delegate and Founder positions has apparently been removed. Will this be coming back? I had changed the titles for the positions before and it worked, but noticed that they've been changed back to the defaults and the option to change the titles has been removed from the regional controls. Hope whatever issues were caused by that specific feature are fixed soon! Good work by the way, love seeing this site grow.

Isn't that just an NS++ feature? That's how it appears for me in Regional Controls. Were you on a mobile device when you noticed the feature was missing?

Yes, it is an NS++ feature.

Eluvatar (aka me) will be releasing an update to it soon (TM) to address the changes in how the regional controls look.

Khanatah
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 06, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Khanatah » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:43 am

Ahhh.... That explains it. I uninstalled NS++ and didn't notice that that was a feature it had. I assumed it was part of this update and had misinterpreted the original news post. It'd be nice to see this feature adopted by NationStates proper. Sorry for being one of those people who mistakes NS++ crap for NationStates :unsure:
Economic Left/Right: -10.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Cora II
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Cora II » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:52 am

Nonali wrote:
Zemnaya Svoboda wrote:I think I would most like a 26 hour lockout on appointing or dismissing Regional Officers. It would be consistent with the lockout on welcome telegrams; it would allow Natives, for the first time in a long time, to meaningfully fight back; and it would be simple to implement.

I'm fine with the appointing part but new WA delegates should certainly be able to dismiss officers immediately. Otherwise you'll get a constant and never-ending fight over the appearance and embassies and suppressing posts and everything else.

Also this would basically kill the whole raiding defending part of NS. An officer with border control and high influence could eject any invader who tried to seize the WA delegate. He'd have 26 hours to do so with nothing the raiders could do to respond.

I'm not a fan of raiding but I do think it's an important aspect of the game.

Actually, it works both ways depending on how it is used. For taggers it gives benefits, but also for defenders and detaggers. Active communities benefit most, near-dead puppet dumps least.

Practical example: Tag at http://www.nationstates.net/region=the_ ... _duckcrocs. There was 100+ embassies that Snezzy had withdraw following Cimmerian standard tagging protocol. She granted RO access to me for sharing that mundane, tiresome task.

Vice-Delegate access to all participating raiders would make things even faster to do, but also that would be easily nullified by organised active native and/or defender ROs.

What ever, Raiders' task isn't to organize native defenses, and defender tactics.
Last edited by Cora II on Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
• The Black Riders Witch-Z-Queen of Cimmeria 'Cora' • Raider Extremist • War Diary
• 618+ active updates, 11195+ raided regions, 3567+ times raider delegate, 158+ updates in command, 2870+ triggered raids, 35+ occupations, 307+ banjected WA-nations •

"Cut them down!"

Improving Wordiness
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Improving Wordiness » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:31 am

Cora II wrote:
Actually, it works both ways depending on how it is used. For taggers it gives benefits, but also for defenders and detaggers. Active communities benefit most, near-dead puppet dumps least.

Practical example: Tag at http://www.nationstates.net/region=the_ ... _duckcrocs. There was 100+ embassies that Snezzy had withdraw following Cimmerian standard tagging protocol. She granted RO access to me for sharing that mundane, tiresome task.

Vice-Delegate access to all participating raiders would make things even faster to do, but also that would be easily nullified by organised active native and/or defender ROs.

What ever, Raiders' task isn't to organize native defenses, and defender tactics.

Cora's post above demonstrate how taggers will and do and take take advantage of two things.
One: no delay in assigning a powers once delegate seat is taken and two: retaining power on delegate seat after WA has been dropped.

In my opinion these are two important matters that need to be resolved.
Klaus Devestatorie wrote:I'm a massive tool. ;)

XKZ Coordination Office
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby XKZ Coordination Office » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:03 am

I'm sorry if this was already brought up, only I don't really have the time to read through 28 pages of this:

I think it would be nice if we could more easily switch custom officers.

As it stands now, if I create a custom office and I want to appoint someone else to said office, I have to remove the old one and then appoint the new one while having to set up the permissions all over again. I think there may be some regions out there who simply want to switch out an officer while retaining the powers of the office.
Main nation: louisistan.
Administrative Director: Ian Eat Brains

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:35 am

I think at this time, a handful of measures seems obvious but we have to keep it simple:
  • New WA Delegates should have to wait 72 hours (3 days) before appointing, dismissing or re-assigning regional officers. This forces both the raider and defender to earn power by not raiding or defending too fast.
  • Afterwards, WA Delegates with executive authority (which replaced executive WA Delegates due to the founder being able to tailor powers) should spend influence to appoint, dismiss or re-assign Regional Officers.
  • WA Delegates and Regional Officers should spend influence to eject any nation (not just those who have been there for some time). This would slow down both raiding and defending.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Improving Wordiness
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Improving Wordiness » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:45 am

I have no objection to influence cost slowing down defending / raiding. It is very important that these changes empower natives as the first priority with R/D a secondary factor.

Enfaru
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Enfaru » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:42 am

Executive authority is required to appoint, dismiss, or modify Regional Officers. Only Founders and Delegates can have Executive authority.

I'd like to challenge this. I would love this to be opened up so that it can be delegated to other members of the region.
Sovereign Charter Quick Links
Factbook · Role-plays · RMB · Map (Origin | Quantum) · Chat · Members: 73
Myraxia: One does not learn to GM; One throws oneself in and prays they don't fuck up too badly.
Game Master
Founder of the Sovereign Charter,
4th President and,
Tutor of the College of Theatrics

Pierconium
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Father Knows Best State

Postby Pierconium » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:44 am

Enfaru wrote:
Executive authority is required to appoint, dismiss, or modify Regional Officers. Only Founders and Delegates can have Executive authority.

I'd like to challenge this. I would love this to be opened up so that it can be delegated to other members of the region.

Why?
Tyrant (Ret.)

Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you…

NPO - EMPIRE - TRIUMVIRATE - NPD

Themightymanuel
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Themightymanuel » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:11 am

Christian Democrats wrote:When creating custom officer positions, I think it would be nice for us to have a drop-down list of icons to accompany the names that we're giving our officers.

I would also like this option and was considering suggesting it myself
Believe in strong government? Join the Imperium of the Wolf

Lockdownn
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lockdownn » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:18 am

Enfaru wrote:

If we could have executive for ROs, I'd like for them only be able to appoint not modify and dismiss.

Red Dusk
Envoy

Founded: Jun 13, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Red Dusk » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:39 am

After reading through 28 pages and seeing constant comments like "There's no need for a delay on dismissing ROs.", I've finally decided to come out from sulking in the shadows.

Alright. So ROs were meant to bring balance, right? That means making defending a bit easier, right?

Well consider this. There isn't a delay.

Defenders manage to get one of their own as an RO (For the sake of example, I'm ignoring the fact of how impractical it would be to have a defender RO in hundreds or more regions). The reason that they had one of these players elected as an RO was to help when it came to an invasion. Now the raiders manage to get the delegacy and can suddenly, and immediately, dismiss that Defender RO. All of a sudden, all that waiting, all that influence building, comes to no point at all. That nation has absolutely no purpose anymore. It's no longer an asset for the defenders to use to help liberate the region. And so what if the raiders have to wait a few updates to appoint one of their own to RO status? They then have an immense advantage. Anywhere from 2-3x the banjection ability, to (If there was no cap on Border Control put into place) 13x the influence base to draw from. There would be almost no need for a risky slingshot maneuver. All they would need to do is make sure that at least one or 2 of them is on for every update.

Now picture what would happen if there was a delay for dismissal.

Raiders take the delegacy. The defender logs in later that day, is alerted by fellow defenders, and promptly logs into their nation and starts planning on some banjections.
Suddenly, a whole new layer of R/D develops. Raiders no longer have the 'endo and forget' attitude. They have to watch and make sure they haven't been banjected from a region.

If ROs are supposed to bring a semblance of balance to R/D again, why make it so that they can't be used as a defender asset?

Sorry if I seemed a bit weird with this response, I'm only half awake. :P
(Further note: I assumed no system in place regarding influence to banject a non-updated nation.)

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:47 am

I agree with the people who have already remarked that having the pretitle in the RO names just muddles up the list of regional officers. It should either be disposed of or made optional in the Admin board.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Belschaft
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Belschaft » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:20 am

So, we appear to have become an echo chamber here with people repeating either themselves or others. We have two main strains of opinion; R/D focussed and Native focussed.

R/D focussed: Do not have any form of delay on the dismissal of RO's becuase BC/RO's will make raiding and liberating harder.

Native focussed: Do have a form of delay on the dismissal of RO's so that BC/RO's can give natives a way to fight back against raiders and coupers.

Of the two I, as previously stated, am in favour of the Native focussed side but I doubt further argument will achieve any converts. At this point admin simply has to decide which position to adopt, and what tweaks to make accordingly. If they come down on the Native focussed side, there also needs to be a decision as to what type of delay to implement. The main two proposals seem to be;

1. An embassy style timer on appointments and removal
2. A regional TG style 26 hour timer to gain access to RO appointment/removal

I have no preference either way. The shorter timer of the regional TG style would probably make raider and coupers lives easier as there will be less time for RO's to fight back, so it may be the best compromise between the Native and R/D positions.
You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of.
You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.

Cora II
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cora II » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:21 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:I agree with the people who have already remarked that having the pretitle in the RO names just muddles up the list of regional officers. It should either be disposed of or made optional in the Admin board.

Custom names of RO titles are fun, but there is real point there too. Why not display both custom titles and preset default titles on WFE? In order of authority if possible, making it clear to all immediately who have power in a region.
• The Black Riders Witch-Z-Queen of Cimmeria 'Cora' • Raider Extremist • War Diary
• 618+ active updates, 11195+ raided regions, 3567+ times raider delegate, 158+ updates in command, 2870+ triggered raids, 35+ occupations, 307+ banjected WA-nations •

"Cut them down!"

Leveat
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Leveat » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:40 am

Lockdownn wrote:
Enfaru wrote:

If we could have executive for ROs, I'd like for them only be able to appoint not modify and dismiss.

I really don't support this, but if it is implemented ROs could be granted permission to modify and dismiss the ROs they appointed. Perhaps with a button accessible to founders and exec delegates to revoke that.
The Leveat that can be spoken of is not the true Leveat,
but it is a pretty close alternative, in any case. You can talk about it if you want.
History · Constitution · That One Issue · All Hail · Miscellany · Meet Levball (drawn by Ismeil)

Gest
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Gest » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:48 am

Red Dusk wrote:Defenders manage to get one of their own as an RO...

All it would take is one old puppet nation in a founderless region to end any occupation. Founderless regions don't have elections so as soon as a new nation takes the delegacy the natives will know a raid has happened. Then they'll have 26 hours to end any occupation. That's not a fightback option, it's a massacre option. There has to be consequences to being in a founderless region, it's not a natural state.

If a delay in dismissal is implemented then what is the point of the delegate elect change?

United German Regions
Envoy

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby United German Regions » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:00 pm

Gest wrote:

All it would take is one old puppet nation in a founderless region to end any occupation. Founderless regions don't have elections so as soon as a new nation takes the delegacy the natives will know a raid has happened. Then they'll have 26 hours to end any occupation. That's not a fightback option, it's a massacre option. There has to be consequences to being in a founderless region, it's not a natural state.

If a delay in dismissal is implemented then what is the point of the delegate elect change?

I must agree
Founder of The Insane Region/Founder of The Embassy/Raider for few/Defender for all/International Contender/Conqueror of The Black Riders
I stand against CAIN
Pro: USA, Democracy, Military, Freedom, Fox News, Second Amendment, #AllLivesMatter, Racial Equality, Gender Equality, #BlueLivesMatter
Anti: Fascism, WA Security Council, Religious Extremism, The Nightly Show, #BlackLivesMatter, Segregation, Hillary Clinton, Heavy Feminism

United German Regions is supplying medical aid to numerous nations recovering from war | UGR investigators discovered the presence of slavery in Cresenthia to manufacture teddy bears | The leader of UGR has just eaten a samich

Embassy Master
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Embassy Master » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:34 pm

PROBLEM:

Ok, I have 9 officers right now, one ceased to exist while in office. I tried to modify and dismiss but it popped up the "This [nation] has ceased to exist" screen. It still says I have 9 officers when I only have 8. Can you please fix it so that I can dismiss an officer that ceased to exist.
Embassy Master, the founder and leader of The Embassy.

Are you a regional officer with embassies power/founder/or delegate with the powers? Well, please join us as in international embassy hub by requesting embassies. Not, well ask your founder/regional officers to propose the embassy.

We have built embassies with over 2850 regions!

Cora II
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cora II » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:04 pm

Gest wrote:

The Grand Master of the art of occupations speaks now.

People should listen.

"Cut them down!"

Improving Wordiness
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Improving Wordiness » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:23 pm

Embassy Master wrote:PROBLEM:

Ok, I have 9 officers right now, one ceased to exist while in office. I tried to modify and dismiss but it popped up the "This [nation] has ceased to exist" screen. It still says I have 9 officers when I only have 8. Can you please fix it so that I can dismiss an officer that ceased to exist.

I am going to quote this is in the bugs report thread that can be found here : viewtopic.php?p=26328856#p26328856

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical