NATION

PASSWORD

Regional Officers

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Zemnaya Svoboda
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 06, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Zemnaya Svoboda » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:23 pm

I must echo the previous concerns about the dangers of a delegate being able to appoint Regional Officers without delay, immediately upon election.

That said, it is wonderful to see progress on the Summit items, and I do think this will be very useful to many regions... so long as they are not invaded.

Tereklandia
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Tereklandia » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:25 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
:clap: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :clap:

This adds a whole new level to regional politics.

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:26 pm

Astarial wrote:I echo previous concerns about the impact this will have on R/D. I would support a waiting period on officers - not necessarily to dismiss existing ones (which could cut both ways; natives or defenders retaking a raided region would remain vulnerable to the appointed officers even after securing the delegacy), but to appoint new ones.

I do have a few other questions about the implementation here:

1) How will the WA power work? Does the WA Officer cast their own endorsements in the WA, or the delegate's? Can both the WA Officer and the delegate have WA power at the same time, or can you have multiple WA officers?

2) In founderless regions (including GCRs), can the delegate permanently remove certain powers from their position? Can they be temporarily deactivated?

I had another but I can't remember now what it was. Oh well.

I could definitely support immediate dismissals and a waiting period on appointments :P

You're right in a dismissal waiting period cutting both ways - raiders could eject defenders, and would likely have more influence to do so with.

Question: Do nations have to be in the region to use said powers, or, like founders and delegates, can they use powers when not in the region?
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Astarial
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 12, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Astarial » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:27 pm

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:Question: Do nations have to be in the region to use said powers, or, like founders and delegates, can they use powers when not in the region?

THAT WAS MY OTHER QUESTION. Thanks! :P
Ballotonia: Astarial already phrased an answer very well. Hence I'll just say: "Me too."1
Purriest Kitteh, 2012

Reijekstan
Spokesperson

Founded: May 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Reijekstan » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:29 pm

Thank you so much!
:bow:
This changes so many things for the better.
☭Proud Member of The Communist Party of NationStates!☭

The Communist Party of NationStates
Recommended MediaSolidarity NetworkMarxists Internet Archive
Life is not an easy matter... You cannot live through it without falling into frustration and cynicism unless you have before you a great idea which raises you above personal misery, above weakness, above all kinds of perfidy and baseness.
☭Leon Trotsky

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:29 pm

Astarial wrote:
Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:Question: Do nations have to be in the region to use said powers, or, like founders and delegates, can they use powers when not in the region?

Welcome :P

I mean, it'd kind of suck to lose all power when moving, it'd suck less if it was suspended while outside a region. It'd make sense for a nation to have to be in the region when adding them as an officer, but imagine moving out to make a post or something for five minutes and losing the role...

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Consular
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Consular » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:29 pm

Yeah I agree with Astarial I think.

Giving it some more thought I'm inclined to say WAD should be able to dismiss immediately... Otherwise new WADs will always be at the mercy of officers for a while. This would effectively eliminate most invading activity actually, which while not necessarily a bad thing for many, is not I think what the admins want.

Appointing should definitely be delayed though. Otherwise invasions become far too difficult to counter.

I suppose we ought to wait for this illusive FAQ..

Amerika I
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Amerika I » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:30 pm

This is awesome!! But i do have a question: do you have to be a WA member to be a regional officer?
"The Amerikanen may be our Enemies, but I can admit that they train Fierce and Hardy soldiers"

- George V of Lahnberg, 1807

Alustrian
Spokesperson

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Alustrian » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:31 pm

Astarial wrote:

and to add to this ^ - can a nation be RO in multiple regions?

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:33 pm

Consular wrote:Yeah I agree with Astarial I think.

Giving it some more thought I'm inclined to say WAD should be able to dismiss immediately... Otherwise new WADs will always be at the mercy of officers for a while. This would effectively eliminate most invading activity actually, which while not necessarily a bad thing for many, is not I think what the admins want.

Appointing should definitely be delayed though. Otherwise invasions become far too difficult to counter.

I suppose we ought to wait for this illusive FAQ..

It would effectively eliminate most activity in regions with active officers given those powers (and perhaps encourage defenders to send ambassadors to be given those powers), but in any region invaders managed to survive in, by combinations of previous politicking while sleeping or raw inactivity, make liberations potentially impossible the other way.

A cap on the number of people able to be given banjection ability would work as well.

IIRC, with things like Rift, the FAQ was populated with user questions :P

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Ndaku
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Ndaku » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:40 pm

Amerika I wrote:This is awesome!! But i do have a question: do you have to be a WA member to be a regional officer?

I'm wondering this too ^
'Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. I charge you therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who will judge the living and the dead at His appearing and His kingdom: For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables. But you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.' (II Timothy 4:1-5 NKJV)

Non-denominational Christian. Savopia is my WA puppet nation. Feel free to telegram me!

Ava Ire
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 29, 2014
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Ava Ire » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:46 pm

This is great :)
I'm a mysterious, sp00ky pink ghost that's haunting this website for some reason.
"Down to Gehenna or up to the Throne, he travels the fastest who travels alone." ~

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:50 pm

Todd McCloud wrote:Most excellent! I take it this will be available for both game-created and userite regions?

Correct!

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:Are officers' powers come into effect as soon as an executive adds them?
Do delegates need to be in power for a certain amount of time to add officers?

Powers take effect immediately, and there's no minimum time limit.

Alustrian wrote:I am very interested in hearing the reasoning behind this particular change.

What came out of the Summit (and other discussions) is a set of points everyone agrees upon, such as Regional Officers being a good thing in principle, plus another bag of points people don't agree on, such as whether additional rules are required to prevent particular scenarios. I wrote code for much of this, but in the end we've gone with the simpler, optimistic implementation, rather than the conservative, complex one, with a view to seeing how it actually goes. If we decide additional rules are necessary, like time delays and influence costs, then okay. But we didn't want to start with those because they remove a lot of the power and flexibility of the feature.

Jakker wrote:If regional officers can eject, will that include delegates if the officer has enough influence?

Yes, a Regional Officer could eject (and ban) a Delegate, given sufficient Influence. If the Delegate has Border Control authority, though, they could unban themselves again. Or if the Delgate have Executive authority, they could give themselves Border Control authority, then unban themselves.

Astarial wrote:1) How will the WA power work? Does the WA Officer cast their own endorsements in the WA, or the delegate's? Can both the WA Officer and the delegate have WA power at the same time, or can you have multiple WA officers?

Regional Officers cannot be given World Assembly powers. Nor can World Assembly powers be removed the Delegate.

Astarial wrote:2) In founderless regions (including GCRs), can the delegate permanently remove certain powers from their position? Can they be temporarily deactivated?

Technically, yes: They can go in and remove powers from the Delegacy. But in practice, no, because Delegates always automatically have Executive authority in a founderless region, so can always restore those powers.

Like Delegates & Founders, Regional Officers don't need to be present in the region to wield their powers. However, nations do need to be present to be appointed as an Officer in the first place.

Amerika I wrote:do you have to be a WA member to be a regional officer?

No.

Alustrian wrote:can a nation be RO in multiple regions?

Yes. Nation pages, however, only show icons signifying authority in the current region.

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:53 pm

Thanks for [v]erifying!

[violet] wrote:
Alustrian wrote:I am very interested in hearing the reasoning behind this particular change.

What came out of the Summit (and other discussions) is a set of points everyone agrees upon, such as Regional Officers being a good thing in principle, plus another bag of points people don't agree on, such as whether additional rules are required to prevent particular scenarios. I wrote code for much of this, but in the end we've gone with the simpler, optimistic implementation, rather than the conservative, complex one, with a view to seeing how it actually goes. If we decide additional rules are necessary, like time delays and influence costs, then okay. But we didn't want to start with those because they remove a lot of the power and flexibility of the feature.

/me makes note not to ball to hard, or this will get less fun

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:55 pm

Benevolent Thomas wrote:
[violet] wrote:[*]No Influence is required to appoint, dismiss, or modify a Regional Officer.
It also stinks that an invader delegate can instantly appoint officers to help them banject would-be liberators the following update.

There are at least three solutions to this problem that I can think of off hand.
  • Limit the number of RO's which can wield banjection authority to just 1 (besides delegate of course)
  • Limit the rate at which nations can banject others from regions
  • Limit the rate at which regions can have nations banjected from them
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Guy
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Guy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:56 pm

Alustrian wrote:But here...the thread you cite is from the "Gameplay 'R/D' Summit," yet you have totally lost it when it comes to R/D.

Totally, completely lost it. Three fries short of a happy meal. Gone entirely cuckoo, troppo, wacko, bonkers.

Commander of the Rejected Realms Army

[violet] wrote:Never underestimate the ability of admin to do nothing.

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:56 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Benevolent Thomas wrote: It also stinks that an invader delegate can instantly appoint officers to help them banject would-be liberators the following update.

There are at least three solutions to this problem that I can think of off hand.
  • Limit the number of RO's which can wield banjection authority to just 1 (besides delegate of course)

The way I read [v], she's sitting on code to fix things like this if they become issues in practice.

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Bounty Bertie
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Bounty Bertie » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:57 pm

[violet] wrote:What came out of the Summit (and other discussions) is a set of points everyone agrees upon, such as Regional Officers being a good thing in principle, plus another bag of points people don't agree on, such as whether additional rules are required to prevent particular scenarios. I wrote code for much of this, but in the end we've gone with the simpler, optimistic implementation, rather than the conservative, complex one, with a view to seeing how it actually goes. If we decide additional rules are necessary, like time delays and influence costs, then okay. But we didn't want to start with those because they remove a lot of the power and flexibility of the feature.

So rather than bringing balance back to R/D, you have decided to kill liberations, make griefing regions 6x faster, enable raiders to instantly remove any added defence natives may have gained from this, AND let taggers appoint themselves ROs in the 30+ regions they hit every day to continue bringing their spam back even after they no longer hold WAD there.

Congratulations on thoroughly thinking these changes through and the broad impact they will have!

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:57 pm

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:There are at least three solutions to this problem that I can think of off hand.

The way I read [v], she's sitting on code to fix things like this if they become issues in practice.

Yes, I'm just pointing out that there are solutions to the potential problems.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:59 pm

Why not a 24 hour block on RO powers that they must remain in the region for to get the powers? That way it stops RO power being granted for taggers.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:02 pm

Founders don't need influence, and should be able to delegate their not-needing-influence ability to regional officers if they want to. Because for regions with an active founder, regional officers aren't necessary for security anyway, only convenience. Plus influence is almost impossible to accumulate at useful amounts for non-WA nations.

If the founder ceases to exist than regional officers would lose their not-needing-influence ability (if they had it) until the founder returns. And delegates wouldn't be able to grant it even if they can appoint officers (more generally, delegates probably shouldn't be able to grant any abilities they haven't been given themselves).

Mediobogdum
Envoy

Founded: Jun 04, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Mediobogdum » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:09 pm

Given the obvious likelihood of having a power-hungry or corrupt regional officer(s) wanting to try and take control of a region, why would any delegate give away any powers at all and just not bother with regional officers?
Medio
ElderGrump Sage, Lord of Doll Guldur, Knight of The Sacred Order, Rabbit Clan Chieftain

Elke and Elba
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:12 pm

Mediobogdum wrote:Given the obvious likelihood of having a power-hungry or corrupt regional officer(s) wanting to try and take control of a region, why would any delegate give away any powers at all and just not bother with regional officers?

Err, that is based on the presumption that everyone's scheming?

I don't think it is that likely ROs are malevolent especially in UCRs.
Represented permanently at the World Assembly by Benjamin Olafsen, and on an ad-hoc basis by Alethea Norrland and rarely Gaia Pao and Gabriel Dzichpol.
OOCly retired from the GA/SC for something called 'real life'.
Author of GA#288 and SC#148.
Ratateague wrote:NationStates seems to hate the Geneva Convention. I've lost count in how many times someone has tried to introduce something like it. Why they don't like it is a mystery to me. Probably a lot of jingoist wingnuts.
Ardchoille wrote:When you consider that (violet) once changed the colour of the whole game for one player ... you can understand how seriously NS takes its players.

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:13 pm

Mediobogdum wrote:Given the obvious likelihood of having a power-hungry or corrupt regional officer(s) wanting to try and take control of a region, why would any delegate give away any powers at all and just not bother with regional officers?

Because you can give them select powers only - i.e., WFE editing (Kills my old "let me be exec del so I can change the WFE" infiltration line :( ), or just embassies and RMB management. It's not all or nothing like exec/nonexec delegates, it's flexible.

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Flanderlion
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:13 pm

Border Control is the only real threat to the region. The other options are more helpful admin - such as the Malviet in TWP being able to accept and reject embassies (I think that would be allowed under Max Rules), or Drachma being able to send mass TGs to the region for issues. RO's aren't all or nothing, they're flexible, as Souls said.
As always, I'm representing myself.
Information
Wishlist

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical