NATION

PASSWORD

[NOW OPEN] *THE* Simple Guide to Sending Telegrams via API

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:14 pm

Agadar wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Okay. How does that work?

How does what work, exactly?

I meant "How does one send a telegram to one recipient in your program?"

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Agadar
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 06, 2009
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Agadar » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:17 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Agadar wrote:How does what work, exactly?

I meant "How does one send a telegram to one recipient in your program?"

One selects the 'Nations (include)' option and inserts a comma-separated list of nation names, which could be just one nation name.

I've gathered from this that I may have to improve upon the user interface a bit to make more clearly what the each filter does exactly.
Proud resident of The Western Isles, the #1 role-playing region!
Developer of Telegrammer, NS API Java Wrapper, and more!

Heaverian Islands
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Help!

Postby Heaverian Islands » Fri May 19, 2017 7:58 am

Hello there,

I am not very good w/Linux but have a free server. Is it possible to install a client on the Linux server via the Terminal? If so, which client would work and how?

Thanks,
Heaveria

Agadar
Powerbroker

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Agadar » Fri May 19, 2017 9:44 am

Heaverian Islands wrote:Hello there,

I am not very good w/Linux but have a free server. Is it possible to install a client on the Linux server via the Terminal? If so, which client would work and how?

Thanks,
Heaveria

The easiest would be to use either Imperium Anglorum's or my client, as they are Java applications, and Java should be easy to install on Linux. Eluvatar's NationStates++ is a browser extension, so should be easy to install on Linux as well. South Jarvis' pyNSrecruit requires Python, which shouldn't be that much harder to install than Java. Finally, Auralia's telegrammer is built on .NET which is not native on Linux, so of all telegrammers listed in the OP that one will probably be the hardest to install.

EDIT: if you only have a terminal available and no graphical window, then you probably won't be able to use any of these clients, as they require a GUI to work, or at least mine does.
Last edited by Agadar on Fri May 19, 2017 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014

Postby Phydios » Fri May 19, 2017 12:04 pm

Agadar wrote:
Heaverian Islands wrote:Hello there,

Thanks,
Heaveria

The easiest would be to use either Imperium Anglorum's or my client, as they are Java applications, and Java should be easy to install on Linux. Eluvatar's NationStates++ is a browser extension, so should be easy to install on Linux as well. South Jarvis' pyNSrecruit requires Python, which shouldn't be that much harder to install than Java. Finally, Auralia's telegrammer is built on .NET which is not native on Linux, so of all telegrammers listed in the OP that one will probably be the hardest to install.

EDIT: if you only have a terminal available and no graphical window, then you probably won't be able to use any of these clients, as they require a GUI to work, or at least mine does.

Communiqué by IA has a command-line interface. I don't know much about Linux, and almost nothing about its terminal, but perhaps that would work? You'd need to get a proper configuration file for the CLI, though, which is easily done through the GUI.
Last edited by Phydios on Fri May 19, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Arachnid Cheerios and the Kuba Queendom
Secretary

Founded: May 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Arachnid Cheerios and the Kuba Queendom » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:19 pm

My region once had 100 nations and now has only 6 or so due to the fact that it is difficult for me to find a good TG api. Are there any recruitment websites (on a browser, not requiring downloads)? My computer is a little finicky when it comes to downloading things, so I would really appreciate it if anyone could let me know if there is such a site, as I'd love to revive my region, so to speak. Thank you! :)
Last edited by Arachnid Cheerios and the Kuba Queendom on Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Agadar
Powerbroker

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Agadar » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:24 am

Arachnid Cheerios and the Kuba Queendom wrote:My region once had 100 nations and now has only 6 or so due to the fact that it is difficult for me to find a good TG api. Are there any recruitment websites (on a browser, not requiring downloads)? My computer is a little finicky when it comes to downloading things, so I would really appreciate it if anyone could let me know if there is such a site, as I'd love to revive my region, so to speak. Thank you! :)

Not to my knowledge. There's NationStates++, which is a browser plug-in, which comes closest to what you want.

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:46 pm

Agadar wrote:
Arachnid Cheerios and the Kuba Queendom wrote:My region once had 100 nations and now has only 6 or so due to the fact that it is difficult for me to find a good TG api. Are there any recruitment websites (on a browser, not requiring downloads)? My computer is a little finicky when it comes to downloading things, so I would really appreciate it if anyone could let me know if there is such a site, as I'd love to revive my region, so to speak. Thank you! :)

Not to my knowledge. There's NationStates++, which is a browser plug-in, which comes closest to what you want.

Afforess used to have a separate browser-based program for sending tg's as well, NSPostmaster, but it seems the domain for it no longer exists. IIRC, it went offline a while back when he went bye-bye. I don't know of any others off the top of my head - you're right that NS++ is browser-only for recruitment, and probably the closest he'll find active.

It's been a while since I've updated this guide - while I have your attention Adgar, anything you need edited concerning Telegrammer?
Last edited by Ever-Wandering Souls on Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:51 pm

Phydios wrote:Communiqué by IA has a command-line interface. I don't know much about Linux, and almost nothing about its terminal, but perhaps that would work? You'd need to get a proper configuration file for the CLI, though, which is easily done through the GUI.

This is the case. Marconi is a command-line client, which uses much of the same code in Communique. To make it work, you just need to provide it a Communique configuration file, which is both easily done through the GUI (and also, you can code the JSON necessary by hand, but that's complicated and error-prone).

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:19 am

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:IIRC, it went offline a while back when he went bye-bye.

Afforess didn't say bye-bye. He said "I think I'll propose a brute-force region-password-cracking tool to piss off those oldies at Haven and see what happens" (well, that's at least what happened), and then wound up persona non grata for it.
Anyhoo, this guide's proven to be pretty good, to the point where I'm now... erm, skilled at sending API autotelegrams. Nice work!
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Agadar
Powerbroker

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Agadar » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:48 pm

Heya, Souls. Thought you might be interested in the new version 1.5.0 of my NationStates Telegrammer. The most important change/addition is support for the new 'filter by inclusion'. Cheers.
Last edited by Agadar on Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:44 am

Thanks, Agadar! I’ve told my discord bot to remind me about this when I should have time to update it :)

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Samsonyte
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Samsonyte » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:31 pm

Thanks, Souls. TDV has had some trouble with API before.
Signed,
Samsonyte
Prince of The First Rank of The Ragerian Imperium
Admiral of The Ragerian Armada
If life doesn't give you lemons, can you still make lemonade?

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:03 pm

Got a bit delayed, but finally updated. I made minor edits to the text for every client except NS++, updating for newer versions, and added Auralia's new client, nstg-web.If there is anything I have missed (including prominent new clients), or something I have added in error, just give me a shout!

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Agadar
Powerbroker

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Agadar » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:05 pm

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:Got a bit delayed, but finally updated. I made minor edits to the text for every client except NS++, updating for newer versions, and added Auralia's new client, nstg-web.If there is anything I have missed (including prominent new clients), or something I have added in error, just give me a shout!

Great work as always.

Eastern Tatarstan
Attaché

Founded: Jul 09, 2018
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Eastern Tatarstan » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:18 am

I want to use the nstg-web, but I'm suspicious that it doesn't work as intended. How can I verify that it works properly, and that my recruitment TGs are being sent to the desired recipients?
Аіналакөрүтолькьн диктаттьятть Жьданқршьгьнат Татарштанат
The Considerate dictatorship of Eastern Tatarstan
!Гьльм, түқдаіть я түгаданьшпаньшьн өрьмжахшьрьгьндьр!
Тәнирбєргєн

Phydios
Minister

Postby Phydios » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:39 pm

Eastern Tatarstan wrote:I want to use the nstg-web, but I'm suspicious that it doesn't work as intended. How can I verify that it works properly, and that my recruitment TGs are being sent to the desired recipients?

Send a TG to a nation you control. Or send a TG to a friend and have them verify that they received it.

What exactly do you think nstg-web is doing?
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’

Eastern Tatarstan
Attaché

Founded: Jul 09, 2018
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Eastern Tatarstan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:13 am

Phydios wrote:
Eastern Tatarstan wrote:I want to use the nstg-web, but I'm suspicious that it doesn't work as intended. How can I verify that it works properly, and that my recruitment TGs are being sent to the desired recipients?

Send a TG to a nation you control. Or send a TG to a friend and have them verify that they received it.

What exactly do you think nstg-web is doing?

I added "new [1000]" amongst the other recipients and I hit Start. The Log was saying "Evaluating the TRL string...". I founded a puppet nation that corresponded with the categories I wrote in the TRL string, but that nation didn't receive my TG over the course of 2 hours. Then I went to check the Log, but it was no longer there, there was the Configuration screen when you add your tgid, keys and write the TRL string. So I did it all again. When I went to check it the other day, the Log was still there, saying the same "Evaluating the TRL string...". Then I hit Pause, just to see what happens, and the whole thing stopped to react, I couldn't make it run again. So I had to reload the page and now I'm again at the Configuration page, but I haven't made a 3rd attempt so far. And the puppet nation still hasn't received the TG.
Аіналакөрүтолькьн диктаттьятть Жьданқршьгьнат Татарштанат
The Considerate dictatorship of Eastern Tatarstan
!Гьльм, түқдаіть я түгаданьшпаньшьн өрьмжахшьрьгьндьр!
Тәнирбєргєн

Kenche Gle
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kenche Gle » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:07 am

How can I change already sent out recruitment telegrams?
Self-proclaimed idiot
Courtesy of Versutia

Agadar
Powerbroker

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Agadar » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:12 am

Kenche Gle wrote:How can I change already sent out recruitment telegrams?

You can't.

Cirrintheos
Civilian

Founded: Aug 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Cirrintheos » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:18 am

Hey. Can I do this on a tablet?

Phydios
Minister

Postby Phydios » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:43 am

Cirrintheos wrote:Hey. Can I do this on a tablet?

Sure, if the script you use will run on a tablet. I don't know of any programs designed for mobile devices, but Auralia's nstg-web runs in your browser, so I suppose it would work on a mobile browser too.

National Cruelty
Civilian

Founded: May 17, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby National Cruelty » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:53 am

This guide really helped me a while back it really helped me kick start my region. Now I just sit back and relax any let my Raspberry Pi 3 do all the work for me and my region. It's very affective. And it can select good candidates and message them way faster than any single human could. I highly recommend this for anyone.

Titanne
Minister

Founded: Feb 07, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Titanne » Thu May 14, 2020 6:26 am

If I want to retire my recruitment campaign and make a new one, do I need to get a new client key and secret key?
Ridin' with Biden

Not yet radicalized by the internet, he/his, Flamboyant Homosexual, among other things.

Former Delegate and President of Thaecia. Current Delegate of Annecy.

Phydios
Minister

Postby Phydios » Thu May 14, 2020 3:39 pm

Titanne wrote:If I want to retire my recruitment campaign and make a new one, do I need to get a new client key and secret key?

You will need a new secret key if you are changing the telegram that you are sending. Otherwise, I don't believe so.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical