NATION

PASSWORD

SC Resolution with former nations as a target.

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
The Great Destruction
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

SC Resolution with former nations as a target.

Postby The Great Destruction » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:20 pm

I would like to propose a potential code change:

The coding be changed to allow either for "write in" targets of SC resolution, (including liberations), or to allow the search metric to target nations and regions in the boneyard.

Justification:

Currently a former nation of significant size can continue to be the target of SC resolutions such as condemnations/commendations, even after the nation CTEs preventing the expiration of the nation due to antiquity and retaining C&C badges upon refounding of CTEed nations or regions.

However, there exists the possibility of nations of significant size who remain in the bone yard, whose contributions to the world, WA, roleplay, or other efforts have not yet been recognized before the nation CTEed. There are a few examples, one of which is the impetus of my efforts here, of such nations whose efforts significantly impacted NationStates.

What is the possibility that such a change could occur?

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:51 pm

Alright, look. One WA player already killed off his nation and founded a new one because he feared someone would try to commend him for his famous GA resolutions again; now if this were implemented not even death could stop over-eager SC authors. Particularly when SC authors are piggybacking off the reputations of players (whether they want the recognition or not) just because they want an author badge; this would give them even more undeserved opportunities to pimp out others for their own purposes.

It would inspire a lot of low blows as well, since CTE'd nominees for condemnation would have no means of defending themselves. If someone were to condemn Goob for letting NSwiki fail, how exactly is he supposed to respond? No one's been able to get a hold of him for anything. Now is that fair?
Last edited by Omigodtheykilledkenny on Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:15 am

I agree with Kenny about the unfairness inherent in being able to condemn people who are no longer around to defend themselves.
And in my opinion the "write in" possibility that you suggest would, even if does check automatically both the game and the boneyard, almost certainly lead to a significant increase in the number of illegal proposals by noobs trying to condemn RL nations or politicians...
:roll:
Last edited by Bears Armed on Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:40 pm

The Great Destruction wrote:I would like to propose a potential code change:

The coding be changed to allow either for "write in" targets of SC resolution, (including liberations).

Why on earth would you need to liberate a region that doesn't exist?

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:51 pm

Flibbleites wrote:
The Great Destruction wrote:I would like to propose a potential code change:

The coding be changed to allow either for "write in" targets of SC resolution, (including liberations).

Why on earth would you need to liberate a region that doesn't exist?

Gotta stay one step ahead of the raiders. I want to pre-liberate regions that don't exist yet incase they ever get founded and eventually raided. :p

The Great Destruction
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Great Destruction » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:50 pm

Addressing posts in reverse:

Flibbleittes
I had assumed that liberations have the potential for role playing affects even though they are most often used to foil raiders.

Bears Armed:

I see how this could be abused, but I would assume that a set of etiquette, such as the one that already exists, would govern how and when former nations would be targeted. Also I am assuming only nations that existed or used to exist in NS could be the target, not just any text entered.

OMGTKK:

It is not up to the will of the targeted to determine whether or not a nation is worthy or deserving of a C or C. It is up to the will of all WA members as a whole. Your point is a red herring. However, your point about low hanging fruit for condemnations may be valid if a set of etiquette governing how condemning or commending a former nation was not enforced or well thought out. Other than that, I don't beleive the number of frivolous or illegal proposals is at all a function of ones ability to do so but instead of the number of nations willing to try to craft a proposal. The recent lull in SC proposals probably has more to do with the lack of interest in NS as a whole more than any studious policing of proposals or snobbish browbeating of would be enthusiasts. Remeber this is a game and after everthing is said and done, nothing that occurs in this game actually ever means anything substantial. Let people play the game and feel like they won.

Elke and Elba
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:46 am

Notwithstanding the extremely valid points posted by the others, let me ask the OP this question:

Are you going to code this yourself?

If not, why should anyone else do it for you, then?
Represented permanently at the World Assembly by Benjamin Olafsen, and on an ad-hoc basis by Alethea Norrland and rarely Gaia Pao and Gabriel Dzichpol.
OOCly retired from the GA/SC for something called 'real life'.
Author of GA#288 and SC#148.
Ratateague wrote:NationStates seems to hate the Geneva Convention. I've lost count in how many times someone has tried to introduce something like it. Why they don't like it is a mystery to me. Probably a lot of jingoist wingnuts.
Ardchoille wrote:When you consider that (violet) once changed the colour of the whole game for one player ... you can understand how seriously NS takes its players.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:54 am

It doesn't look like anyone has addressed the technical aspects of this yet.

First, I think regions have been conceptually included in this, which simply can't happen. Regions that have ceased to exist are simply gone. They're not CTE, they're deleted completely. There's nothing to tie such a resolution to. If the region was refounded, a mod would have to manually add the SC info back in. I for one am not interested in keeping up with that detail.

As for nations, live nations are kept in a separate space than dead nations. While I'm sure it'd be possible to attach a C&C notification, it would require reworking the code. Might be trivial, might not. And if a C&C was attached to a smallish nation, which was later refounded by a different player ... the game would have to make the distinction between the old dead nation and the newly live nation. And yes, we do keep both nations in the live space / dead nation archive.

tl;dr: this would be a bit of a technical challenge, and almost certainly not worth the effort based on the relative lack of interest expressed here.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical