NATION

PASSWORD

'Abstain' as an option in WA votes?

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Hiskjriaana
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

'Abstain' as an option in WA votes?

Postby Hiskjriaana » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:22 am

Does anyone else think this might be a good idea?

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:38 am

Definitely. I feel like I've seen it suggested before, though, which makes me wonder why it wasn't implemented.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:38 am

That's a shame. Apart from anything else, it'd be nice to be able to say "we have no strong feelings one way or another/we don't want to vote on this" without being bugged by the big red 1 next to the World Assembly link on the menu bar.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Leutria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:58 pm

Ya, I have always been in favour of abstaining, so it disappoints me that every time it is brought up it is rejected. I would bet some of the lemming votes are simply because they don't care either way about that proposal and are voting to get rid of the notification.

Phydios
Minister

Postby Phydios » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:22 pm

Leutria wrote:I would bet some of the lemming votes are simply because they don't care either way about that proposal and are voting to get rid of the notification.

This is me many times. I haven't looked into the above links yet and don't have time to now, but I can't imagine a reason for rejecting this, besides technical difficulties.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:01 pm

Leutria wrote:I would bet some of the lemming votes are simply because they don't care either way about that proposal and are voting to get rid of the notification.

And you'd be wrong, the Lemming vote (as a point of interest, a term I originated) have been around a lot longer than the vote notifications.

Leutria
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:50 am

Flibbleites wrote:

And you'd be wrong, the Lemming vote (as a point of interest, a term I originated) have been around a lot longer than the vote notifications.

I said some, not all. Even if just an eighth of our lemming are doing it just to get rid of the notification I would be right :P

Edit: In fact, I don't care about the security council much, I can say from experience 90% of the time I vote in the security council it is a lemming vote to get rid of the notification.
Last edited by Leutria on Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:26 pm

“Undecided” is the same as abstaining and is the default position for all member countries.
Last edited by Minoa on Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Leutria
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:56 pm

Minoa wrote:“Undecided” is the same as abstaining and is the default position for all member countries.

But you still have that annoying notification when you are undecided. I have also heard that some people would like to make it clear they are abstaining and haven't just neglected to vote.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:05 pm

You could just add an "ignore this vote" button, like we have for daily issues. I do not think abstentions should be counted in the official vote tally.

Leutria wrote:
Minoa wrote:“Undecided” is the same as abstaining and is the default position for all member countries.

But you still have that annoying notification when you are undecided. I have also heard that some people would like to make it clear they are abstaining and haven't just neglected to vote.

I honestly don't see what's so annoying about it. No one complained about them before the Rift theme. Is it because they're red now? :unsure:
Last edited by Omigodtheykilledkenny on Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Phydios
Minister

Postby Phydios » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:56 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:You could just add an "ignore this vote" button, like we have for daily issues. I do not think abstentions should be counted in the official vote tally.

Leutria wrote:But you still have that annoying notification when you are undecided. I have also heard that some people would like to make it clear they are abstaining and haven't just neglected to vote.

I honestly don't see what's so annoying about it. No one complained about them before the Rift theme. Is it because they're red now? :unsure:

Yes. They were easier to ignore in Century, when they were just text appended to the link name. Now they stick out like a sore thumb, because they're inside sharply contrasting bubbles that are distinctly separate from the WA link.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:56 pm

Maybe my threshold for annoyance is just higher. I always let my issues pile up, and now that the alerts are red it makes no difference, really.

Some voters just wait for WA campaign telegrams and just vote the opposite of what they ask of them. Can't you just do that? :p
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Neraklos
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 21, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Neraklos » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:00 pm

I wouldn't be so sure about that if you read the first thread that you linked you'll notice this:

[violet] wrote:Yes, I think it's a good idea. Will probably take me a while, though, because that's some annoyingly tangled code, and I'm concentrating on high-return stuff at the moment.

Lockdownn
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lockdownn » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:44 pm

Neraklos wrote:I wouldn't be so sure about that if you read the first thread that you linked you'll notice this:

[violet] wrote:Yes, I think it's a good idea. Will probably take me a while, though, because that's some annoyingly tangled code, and I'm concentrating on high-return stuff at the moment.

Considering that post was in 2011 either it was forgotten, or it was placed on the back burner.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical