NATION

PASSWORD

The Almighty NationStates FAQ

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:50 am

There's also a 60k character limit per post, so I doubt you could cram it all in one post.

Hobbesistan
Minister

Founded: Jul 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbesistan » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:53 am

I may however be implementing Anchor's in some form to provide a direct link to each question listed on the FAQ
Hobbes
ra, ra rasputin

(Ret.) Maintainer of the Nationstates FAQ and Deletiger (Ret.) of The East Pacific
russia's greatest

Hobbes is always winning, like Charlie Sheen. - Jurisdictions
love machine

Stop right there (hobbes), your rational thought and intellect will destroy the internet. - Sovreignry
it was a shame how

Giraffes think Hobbes regret a lot. A lot of giraffes do. - Rachel
he carried on.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:56 pm

And, for the record, in my old FAQ, I used one such "reserved" post for the Trophies and Fris "stole" one to make the "handy links" post. So they commonly _are_ used, and I agree that the one-main-topic-per-post concept makes the most sense - and makes it easier for players that don't know what the bookmark link is for XYZ section to provide a more direct link/answer to those asking questions elsewhere.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:15 pm

Reviewing exiting sections to start. Corrections or minor suggestions, no major changes or anything.

GAMEPLAY

Suggestion - Link the GP FAQ (yes I know the OP is in question ATM :P) in "invade other regions' section

Suggestion - Wording could be a bit tricky, but perhaps suggest using issue passed timestamps to ballpark your specific region's update time? Might be too much detail though

FLAGS

Directory of Graphics makers is not longer updated. While it still may be a valuable resource, linking the large flag makers megathread may be a better option.

Add .gif flag regulations (loopholes?)

Might be a good idea to note that flags can be uploaded on mobile devices.

Suggestion - incorporate "Banner" info addition (with new Rift theme) under this heading.

THat's it for now, might be back later.
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Hobbesistan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbesistan » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:27 pm

Gracias.

I'll probably wait into the GP OP is sorted before I link it as link will probably change. Everything else is cool and I'll look into implementing
Hobbes
ra, ra rasputin

(Ret.) Maintainer of the Nationstates FAQ and Deletiger (Ret.) of The East Pacific
russia's greatest

love machine

Stop right there (hobbes), your rational thought and intellect will destroy the internet. - Sovreignry
it was a shame how

he carried on.

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:21 pm

Overall Recommendation: Consider a thread rename. It's not really a guide to the Technical Forum - that'd be telling you how to best post issues, etc. Like GP has a guide to the GP forum, and then a guide to military GP and a guide to region-building... This is more a general NS FAQ with a technical spin (so right place definitely), unless a section is added on how to best post in technical, and perhaps some things like the Rift megathread and other helpful Tech threads are linked. That's just my opinion, I think you might get more people looking in the right place rather than making new threads if it was better named.

CUSTOMIZABLE FEATURES

Suggestion- Link boneyard in "no active nation" section
Correction: Some old nation names have been released. Not sure if it's worth putting down what stops a name from being released/the regs on it.

WORLD ASSEMBLY

Under puppet nations: Wise to note to make sure to use the same email, so the game prevents you from accidentally multiing.

Suggestion: Link GA and SC FAQ's/Stickied thread
Addition: if founder leaves the region, delegate is granted access as well

Not sure if you want to expand it this much there (goes off topic for the WA a bit), but delegates can also password, kick/ban, etc. If you mention that, influence should me mentioned too.

Is the "if you're trying to invade" portion necessary under delegate turnover section?

Addition- if you resign from the WA, then rejoin *before* update, given endos are still valid but received ones are not.

Research? Not sure if that bit on WA email expirations is correct, I seem to recall some fellow raiders teaching it as expiring after 28 days. I could be remembering it wrong or they could have been wrong in the first place, but it might be worth researching.

Forums can wait, I'm out for now. :P

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:25 pm

General question for the peanut gallery: Would a "how to make an effective post in Technical" be helpful?
Proud Member of UNOG

Enfaru
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Enfaru » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:33 pm

Mousebumples wrote:General question for the peanut gallery: Would a "how to make an effective post in Technical" be helpful?

Unless you're going to split technical down not really. Many of the problems that come through technical are diverse and it's rare that I have to tell someone that it's because of their particular set up or an incompatibility. Usually it's either NS++ or there's an actual problem and there's really nothing that can be done except from them saying, "This is the problem..." and someone going and working through the problem.

I mean aside from making the post as "descriptive as possible", which I don't think most people who post here need to be told to do that. Such a thing as a post to, "Check these before you make a post" article would be helpful but I think we already have one of those.
Sovereign Charter Quick Links
Factbook · Role-plays · RMB · Map (Origin | Quantum) · Chat · Members: 73
Myraxia: One does not learn to GM; One throws oneself in and prays they don't fuck up too badly.
Game Master
Founder of the Sovereign Charter,
4th President and,
Tutor of the College of Theatrics

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:37 pm

Mousebumples wrote:General question for the peanut gallery: Would a "how to make an effective post in Technical" be helpful?

That is kind of what I was going with in part with the first part of my most recent post :P Stuff like doing a quick search first, disabling NS++, disabling other addons, making sure your browser is up to date, performing a hard refresh, giving browser details or screenshots where applicable....

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Hobbesistan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbesistan » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:46 pm

this implies that people read this thread before making a post in Technical :P

But, to be fair, making this the generic 'NationStates FAQ' may be more fitting as it's bigger and more inclusive than the one provided in the original game.
Last edited by Hobbesistan on Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbes
ra, ra rasputin

russia's greatest

love machine

it was a shame how

he carried on.

Yossarian Herr
Attaché

Founded: Aug 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Yossarian Herr » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:49 pm

The part of the gameplay post under "My nation description is saying contradictory things!" contains outdated information about the "environment" for the national animal not changing based on the type of animal

Sorry if I'm out of line in posting this.
Last edited by Yossarian Herr on Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ik ben geen Nederlander (of Vlaming). Probably obvious since my Dutch sucks.
Mourning the Washington Capitals' Stanley Cup dreams

Zaolat
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zaolat » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:56 am

The Moderation link in first OP links to the Region Section.
Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms - TRR Forum | Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris - OFO Forum
Guide to the Gameplay Forum | NS Discord Links | One Stop Rules Shop
Max Barry on The Legend of Zelda
<Zaolat>: maxbarry: Have you played any Legend of Zelda video game?
<maxbarry>: I have NEVER played Zelda, I know that is shocking
Victim of the Flag Thief

Hobbesistan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbesistan » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:24 am

Zaolat wrote:The Moderation link in first OP links to the Region Section.

Doh! Fixed
Hobbes
ra, ra rasputin

russia's greatest

love machine

it was a shame how

he carried on.

Ancient and Noble House of Ravenclaw
Secretary

Founded: May 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient and Noble House of Ravenclaw » Sun May 10, 2015 2:58 pm

Hobbes, you need to update the refounding part to include Balder and Osiris: viewtopic.php?p=24300423&sid=9e3c007dcee769be76a9b7b2e1de3ecb#p24300423

And this: viewtopic.php?p=24300415&sid=9e3c007dcee769be76a9b7b2e1de3ecb#p24300415
Imageshack is no longer free afaik

You also need to include Balder and Osiris here: viewtopic.php?p=24300427&sid=9e3c007dcee769be76a9b7b2e1de3ecb#p24300427 - You should definitely note that bans are allowed in Lazarus plus mention that Osiris and Balder can also ban.
Joshua Ravenclaw
Founder of the Kingdom of Alexandria
Formerly Pharaoh, WAD, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Guardian of the Atef and House Registrar of Osiris, Former Delegate, Vice Delegate, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Minister of Culture for the North Pacific, Former Minister of Information for Balder, Former Chancellor and Head Admin of the New Galactic Empire

Todd McCloud
Senator

Founded: Oct 11, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Todd McCloud » Sun May 10, 2015 8:14 pm

Hobbesistan wrote:USEFUL/RARE LINKS
-snip-

Nice update thus far. But there are a few links I can help you with:

NationDates on the archive.nswiki. Includes a screenshot.
April Fools Day Recaps from 2004 to 2007. May be helpful.
Partial Jolt Forum Archive. This may or may not be a dead project.
NSwiki site. Current NSwiki site.
NSwiki archive up to 2009. Pretty much everything as it was written from the only "clean" backup we have.
NS without the left-hand frame
Compare your nation's stats with that of another.
Info on the 2014 Data Leak

Don't know if any of these are useful, but I figured I'd let you know about them.
"Your uniform doesn't seem to fit. You're much too alive in it."

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi
"The worst prison would be a closed heart." - Pope John Paul II

Hobbesistan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbesistan » Fri May 15, 2015 9:53 pm

Ancient and Noble House of Ravenclaw wrote:Hobbes, you need to update the refounding part to include Balder and Osiris: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic ... #p24300423

What are these 'Balder and Osiris' you speak of? Fixed :P
Ancient and Noble House of Ravenclaw wrote:And this: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic ... #p24300415

Hobbes remembers - Fixed though and added imgur (wow this is old)

Ancient and Noble House of Ravenclaw wrote:You also need to include Balder and Osiris here: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic ... #p24300427 - You should definitely note that bans are allowed in Lazarus plus mention that Osiris and Balder can also ban.

Fixed. I also better clarified Sinkers:

What is a "Sinker"?
Sinker regions are those where refounded nations are reborn. This used to be only Lazarus, however due to increased traffic Osiris and Balder both got added in 2011. There are three of them, though The Rejected Realms is considered a "sinker" by most, and included in this list, it's not a "sinker" by the traditional sense of the word; it functions solely as a home for nations who where banned/ejected from their previous homes. The list is as follows:

TRR is kind of in limbo per the official designation of a 'Sinker', so I stuck as such. May be politically incorrect. I also fixed Bans/passwords:

Further, bans are not allowed for The Rejected Realms. Nations that are ejected must go to this region, so nations cannot be banned. In addition, all Game Created Regions (The Rejected Realms, The Sinkers, The Feeders, & The Warzones) may not password protect their regions as they all serve some purpose to the game as a whole.

Todd McCloud wrote:-snip-

I added the last three and the Jolt archive; but I am pertaining this to directly NS onsite websites (or 'partially official sites') - In short terms, I'm only including links endorsed directly by Max/administration, due to obvious "everyone will want their NS related site linked" type issues.
Last edited by Hobbesistan on Fri May 15, 2015 10:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Hobbes
ra, ra rasputin

russia's greatest

love machine

it was a shame how

he carried on.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Sat May 16, 2015 7:13 am

Hobbesistan wrote:
Ancient and Noble House of Ravenclaw wrote:And this: viewtopic.php?p=24300415&sid=9e3c007dcee769be76a9b7b2e1de3ecb#p24300415

Hobbes remembers - Fixed though and added imgur (wow this is old)

Did I not tell you that when I passed it along? :P
Proud Member of UNOG

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Sat May 16, 2015 7:46 am

FORUMS
Might want to include that you can see warning level on that nation in your user control panel.

Max size is 900x900, no believes about it :P

How to link to a specific post should probably be included. Also perhaps a ink to one of the forum coding guides - i.e.
"How do I make a ____?" See [link] for further information on producing different effects with the forum codes.

ISSUES

Chain issues definitely deserve a mention, if a brief one. Perhaps with easter eggs as an unrepeatable issue.

It's mentioned more issues per day is not possible, but the fact you can do less should be mentioned as well. Along with perhaps how vacation mode affects your number of issues. ANd when issues are processed. Maybe even how that shows when your region updates :P

If it's fixed, not sure if the note on web accelerators is necessary.

MODERATION

Since you've included resurrection under here, it might be worth it to include with that a quick note on how that affects influence and at least the fact that bans disappear. Also that if you just have an email, you can have it recovered still.

REGIONS

Deserves a bigger note on Executive Control and Passwords in regards to safety. Also, mention that while all executive actions are free for founders, some cost influence for delegates.

Warzones- I'm 90% sure that influence costs are *removed* for delegates - I've cleared entire warzones out after a tag run before :P

Under refounding- think it's worth suggesting they contact an organization to assist them? Because novice refound attempts are easily spotted and intercepted if one of y kind is on and cares ;)

Spoilers can now be used in WFE's.

Not sure how telegram coding made it in here? :P
Poll and mass telegrams might be more worthy topics of discussion, as well as embassy posting.

Coding's next- for another time ;)

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Hobbesistan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbesistan » Sat May 16, 2015 6:22 pm

Wall of text inbound
(stop finding broken stuff you're making me have to do work grr)

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:[box]FORUMS
Might want to include that you can see warning level on that nation in your user control panel.

Max size is 900x900, no believes about it :P

Max size done, but in the two seconds I looked at it I don't know where the warning level is defined so I can add it.

edit: apparently I need warned to see it - brb doing bad things :bow:

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:How to link to a specific post should probably be included. Also perhaps a ink to one of the forum coding guides - i.e.
"How do I make a ____?" See [link] for further information on producing different effects with the forum codes.

I've been thinking about adding a generic 'List of Official NationStates FAQ's' header for all of the FAQ's to have ontop of them, but A) i've been lazy and B) while it's a shiny idea, theres nothing cultivating the other FAQ heads to adopt the idea. Regardless, Linking a specific post has been added.

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:ISSUES

Chain issues definitely deserve a mention, if a brief one. Perhaps with easter eggs as an unrepeatable issue.

It's mentioned more issues per day is not possible, but the fact you can do less should be mentioned as well. Along with perhaps how vacation mode affects your number of issues. ANd when issues are processed. Maybe even how that shows when your region updates :P

If it's fixed, not sure if the note on web accelerators is necessary.

Chain issues have gotten a mention (Bleed your heart out, Issues people.), Vacation mode + less issues added, and web accelerator section has been nuked.
(This has been changed from 'How can I get more issues per day?' to serve the broader spectrum)
How many issues can I have per day?
The game only permits a maximum of two issues per nation per day; If you want more, you can use multiple nations. However, you also can have less.

There is the option to have only one issue per day, and enabling 'Vacation Mode' disables issues entirely for that nation (as well as extending its CTE date by 60 days).

And issue chains - Rest in Peace Browser Accelerator question as its organs have been reused for Issue Chains.
What is a 'Issue Chain'?
A 'Issue Chain' is a story of sorts - It starts with a single issue you get, and the story can take several paths to completion; changing your nation along the way. While it offers a more 'intimate' (The hawwwwt issues editors ensured this) story, it is important not to "break the chain", as Issue Chains are only one-time, and failing to answer or dismissing any of the issues in the chain means you don't get it again. At the time of this posting, there is only one Issue Chain, 'Diamonds Are An Expat's Best Friend!', and it is 19 issues long.

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:MODERATION

Since you've included resurrection under here, it might be worth it to include with that a quick note on how that affects influence and at least the fact that bans disappear. Also that if you just have an email, you can have it recovered still.

Mhm. Fixed.
How can I resurrect a nation?
If your nation has Ceased to Exist (CTE), it can be resurrected by simply logging into the nation again. A resurrected nation will always be “reborn” in one of the three Sinkers, Lazarus, Osiris or Balder. From there, you are more than welcome to return your nation to its previous regional home. It is however, important to note that when your nation CTE's, your influence in regions will degrade over time, and, in addition, upon resurrecting it, the nation is cleared from all regional bans by World Assembly Delegates and Founders.

If your nation was deleted due to rule breaking, you will not be able to get that nation name back. Unless you are considered a Delete on Sight (DOS) or have been IP-banned, you are able to make a new nation.

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:REGIONS

Deserves a bigger note on Executive Control and Passwords in regards to safety. Also, mention that while all executive actions are free for founders, some cost influence for delegates.

Warzones- I'm 90% sure that influence costs are *removed* for delegates - I've cleared entire warzones out after a tag run before :P

Under refounding- think it's worth suggesting they contact an organization to assist them? Because novice refound attempts are easily spotted and intercepted if one of y kind is on and cares ;)

Spoilers can now be used in WFE's.

Not sure how telegram coding made it in here? :P
Poll and mass telegrams might be more worthy topics of discussion, as well as embassy posting.

Done & Dusted - Thanks, but I left out 'contact a organization' because this is my one recluse from GP politics lol.

Here's a copy of the brand-spanking-new "What executive actions can Founders and Delegates do?" - The other edits you can find for yourself to avoid this going from a wall of text to Comrade Stalin's Book of Text
What executive actions can Founders and Delegates do?
Founders and Delegates both can do the following actions:
  • Eject*
  • Ban*
  • Ban & Eject (Popularly known as 'banjecting')*
  • Edit the World Factbook Entry
  • Edit the Regional Flag.
  • Password Protect the Region*
  • Suppress Regional Message Board posts

The starred (*) actions indicate these actions require Influence in the region(See All About Influence for more info) if they are being performed by the Regional Delegate, however, these actions require no Influence from the Regions Founder.

'Till my next wall of text.
Last edited by Hobbesistan on Sat May 16, 2015 6:37 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Hobbes
ra, ra rasputin

russia's greatest

love machine

it was a shame how

he carried on.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Sat May 16, 2015 6:41 pm

Hobbesistan wrote:edit: apparently I need warned to see it - brb doing bad things :bow:

Since I'd rather not have to warn Hobbes for no good reason, anyone with a warning listed on their file willing to screencap and upload it somewhere? Feel free to TG me the image link, if you'd like, and I can black out identifying information before posting it if you don't want to announce that you have a warning level of [3] or whatever.
Proud Member of UNOG

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Sat May 16, 2015 6:51 pm

Slight error on the "How many issues can I have per day?" question:

Instead of saying "extending its CTE date by 60 days", it should say "extending its CTE date to 60 days".
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Hobbesistan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbesistan » Sat May 16, 2015 6:53 pm

Kaboomlandia wrote:Slight error on the "How many issues can I have per day?" question:

Instead of saying "extending its CTE date by 60 days", it should say "extending its CTE date to 60 days".

it actualy does extend the CTE date by 60 days, since the the CTE counter ticks from when they last logged in - and, at last check, you need to log in to turn on Vacation mode. :twisted:
Last edited by Hobbesistan on Sat May 16, 2015 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbes
ra, ra rasputin

russia's greatest

love machine

it was a shame how

he carried on.

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Sat May 16, 2015 6:58 pm

Hobbesistan wrote:
Kaboomlandia wrote:Slight error on the "How many issues can I have per day?" question:

it actualy does extend the CTE date by 60 days, since the the CTE counter ticks from when they last logged in - and, at last check, you need to log in to turn on Vacation mode. :twisted:

Ah, I see.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Sat May 16, 2015 7:49 pm

o7 Hobbes, on the organization, that's exactly why I phrased that one as a question ;) Great job you've got going so far!
Also don;t forget! :P

What formatting tags can we use in World Factbook Entries?
You can use bold, italics, underline, color (various shades supported), Links, Mousebumples (Nation links), Monkey Island (Region links), and Proposal links.

You can also use a Horizontal Line:
The details on how to code these (if you’re uncertain) can be found in the CODING section of this FAQ.

Spoilers can now be used in WFE's as well.
Last edited by Ever-Wandering Souls on Sat May 16, 2015 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Sat May 16, 2015 8:25 pm

Took me a little while, but I got a hold of a friend with the proper criteria :P

Enjoy.

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical