NATION

PASSWORD

Can I set this up in my classroom?

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Jenkingdom
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Can I set this up in my classroom?

Postby Jenkingdom » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:14 pm

How can I use this effectively in my classroom in conjunction with reading 1984?

King Wolfgang III
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby King Wolfgang III » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:20 pm

Jenkingdom wrote:How can I use this effectively in my classroom in conjunction with reading 1984?

Easy. Create several nations in front of your class, that shows them types of governments. Then get them to see what effect issues have and do one so it is like Oceania. Show them what that civilization would be like, and ask them how Oceania, might respond to each issue. Compare this with an ideal nation, that they vote on and see what how it compares. Ask them to write an essay about how they would set up their utopian civilization and deal with teacher-created problems with their country.

Jenkingdom
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Great Ideas

Postby Jenkingdom » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:10 am

King Wolfgang III wrote:
Jenkingdom wrote:How can I use this effectively in my classroom in conjunction with reading 1984?

Easy. Create several nations in front of your class, that shows them types of governments. Then get them to see what effect issues have and do one so it is like Oceania. Show them what that civilization would be like, and ask them how Oceania, might respond to each issue. Compare this with an ideal nation, that they vote on and see what how it compares. Ask them to write an essay about how they would set up their utopian civilization and deal with teacher-created problems with their country.

All great ideas. Is there a way I can supervise (see) what they do in their own nations?

Soviet Laikas
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Laikas » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:12 am

Jenkingdom wrote:
King Wolfgang III wrote:Easy. Create several nations in front of your class, that shows them types of governments. Then get them to see what effect issues have and do one so it is like Oceania. Show them what that civilization would be like, and ask them how Oceania, might respond to each issue. Compare this with an ideal nation, that they vote on and see what how it compares. Ask them to write an essay about how they would set up their utopian civilization and deal with teacher-created problems with their country.

All great ideas. Is there a way I can supervise (see) what they do in their own nations?

Have them all in a region together.
All hail Laikas, the greatest of Rottweilers!!
United Dexdom wrote:Ha! The proud Dextopia of the United Dexdom would not fear such a nation. Saving the environment? "Human Rights"? Simply laughable. Though the idea of being paid in belly rubs is truly a terrifying concept, being forced to get your belly rubbed raw just to be able to survive.

Xanama
Senator

Founded: Mar 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Xanama » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:13 am

Jenkingdom wrote:
King Wolfgang III wrote:Easy. Create several nations in front of your class, that shows them types of governments. Then get them to see what effect issues have and do one so it is like Oceania. Show them what that civilization would be like, and ask them how Oceania, might respond to each issue. Compare this with an ideal nation, that they vote on and see what how it compares. Ask them to write an essay about how they would set up their utopian civilization and deal with teacher-created problems with their country.

You could designate sernames and passwords,
Thus finding things that are not appropriate ect

Tekeristan
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekeristan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:14 am

May I ask why?

Marxist-Leninist Germany
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist-Leninist Germany » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:36 am

I believe there us also a way to have your nation designated as being used for educational purposes, though I am not entirely sure how myself.
DeutscheDemokratischeRepublik
Economic Left/Right: -7.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.23
Until I can get around to making a factbook, this nations is very much just the DDR but in modern day, and encompasses all of present day Germany. NS Stats are to be considered canon until further notice.
Tears for Fears wrote:Everybody wants to rule the world

The High Lords
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The High Lords » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:38 am

----------------
---------------
----------------
Learning Swedish now!
I want to learn:
Italian
Irish
Scots
Being politically correct is so 2010
#Bernie

Jenkingdom
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Why

Postby Jenkingdom » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:02 am

Tekeristan wrote:May I ask why?

I teach a British Literature class and we are currently reading 1984. I plan to use participation in this as part of their grade and would like to be sure they check their nation daily and are behaving in a school appropriate manner.

The High Lords
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The High Lords » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:06 am

Jenkingdom wrote:
Tekeristan wrote:May I ask why?

I teach a British Literature class and we are currently reading 1984. I plan to use participation in this as part of their grade and would like to be sure they check their nation daily and are behaving in a school appropriate manner.

Well, I have some tips for you... NS isn't exactly a kid-friendly place in the forums, so maybe it's best that you tell them to stay off the forums. Also, when they join, they should block all telegrams, barring regional telegrams (that you'll be sending out), and personal TGs that you and other students will use to collaborate.

As for the moderation on their nation activity, they get an issue every 12 hours to answer. You can tell when the students have answered an issue, since that's part of the "happenings" feed for their nation. If they're not answering issues, there won't be any effects being reflected in that feed.
----------------
---------------
----------------
Learning Swedish now!
I want to learn:
Italian
Irish
Scots
Being politically correct is so 2010
#Bernie

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:05 am

The High Lords wrote:
Jenkingdom wrote:

Well, I have some tips for you... NS isn't exactly a kid-friendly place in the forums, so maybe it's best that you tell them to stay off the forums. Also, when they join, they should block all telegrams, barring regional telegrams (that you'll be sending out), and personal TGs that you and other students will use to collaborate.

As for the moderation on their nation activity, they get an issue every 12 hours to answer. You can tell when the students have answered an issue, since that's part of the "happenings" feed for their nation. If they're not answering issues, there won't be any effects being reflected in that feed.

However, a blanket ban on forum activity may serve to be counterproductive, since their are at least some intelligent debates on the forums which they could benefit from.
They could also (given that your class is English related) take part in some of the roleplay activity which goes on on the forums, improving writing skills.

Also, is this in the correct forum? I'm not sure it is as this is an IC forum for roleplay.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:50 am

As previously stated, http://www.nationstates.net/page=educators is the best place for information on setting up a classroom region. There are limits to what classroom nations can do, but you should be able to get an overall view of what they're up to day to day. Thanks, and good luck.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical