NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates Dark Theme (Rift)

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 28, 2003
Benevolent Dictatorship

NationStates Dark Theme (Rift)

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:35 am

I decided to open a new thread that would deal with any questions, concerns, or bugs that might arise with the dark rift theme, instead of trying to shoehorn everything into the original dark theme thread. That way I can make sure I know which problems pertain to which theme.

If you're seeing anything that's either broken or simply doesn't look right, please do post below. It's much appreciated!

Tips

If you're wanting your text to be invisible or semi-invisible on both the default theme and the dark rift theme, then you should use these color codes:
  • Odd numbered posts (basically the 1st, 3rd, 5th, etc posts on each page) - #F5F7F4
  • Even numbered posts (basically the 2nd, 4th, 6th, etc posts on each page) - #FDFFFC
  • If you're doing the semi-invisible, not-really-caring-whether-people-see-it text - #FFFFFF or white

<<If something blows up spectacularly, please feel free to drop me a TG. I don't always check the forums, but I try to load up my nation at least once a day.>>

Change Log

2023-12-01
- Corrected instances where individual historic WA resolution pages used incorrect (light) background picture.
- Removed outline around historic WA resolutions.
- Lightened "Repealed by" text and non-repealed historical WA resolution numbers.
- Changed "Next" button on Create a Nation page to be consistent with other buttons.
- Removed flag for first page Create a Nation flag.
- Centered "New Nation" text and removed white space on top of first Create a Nation page.
- Darkened background, removed rotation and box shadow, and aligned with nation name for second page Create a Nation flag.
- Removed max width from history box on Create a Nation page to center header with box.
- Lightened page number text on Create a Nation pages.
- Enlarged new nation name text and shifted text to align with flag on Create a Nation page.
- Removed margin changes for endorsement boxes as it was causing dispatch header pictures to not align to the center.
- Reduced right margin for nation descriptor on Settings page

2023-08-12
- Decreased region flag size on ranking and history pages to be consistent with other region pages.
- Revised buttons in regional administration (Withdraw Embassy and Embassy Promotion buttons), settings (Update button), advanced dossier (Download/Upload Nation Dossier File buttons), and store (Gift Options button) pages to match all other buttons on the site.
- Removed max-width restriction to match default site settings and allow tables to expand across the screen.
- Centered Security Council at Vote table on WA main page.
- Added spacing around "Update this map to this version" button on Update a Map page.
- Added spacing between World Factbook and Map tables on main region page.
- Fixed issue where tooltips were not appearing on maps.
- Darkened background for regional map tooltips
- Removed yellow box around Maps filter on activity page.
- Removed left border on flag upload table on regional administration page.
- Removed border around own nation name on store page.
- Fixed issue where nation table header on zombie spotting page brightened on hover.

2023-07-22
- Darkened text editor toolbar, shifted it to the right, and rounded top corners.
- Moved all style changes for cards to existing dark deck stylesheet.
- Lightened backgrounds for card types.
- Lightened card filter colors, darkened borders, and lightened text to improve readability.
- Switched filters to be brighter on hover.
- Added lightened background to all card tables.
- Darkened "Owned" card tag.
- Increased space between historical price graphs and page footer.
- Increased space between auction trades table and page footer.
- Added borders on hover for card season selection buttons.
- Darkened background for trading statistics numbers.
- Darkened bottom border on all table rows.
- Reworked main site navigation page numbers to match style of forum page numbers.
- Changed banner buttons to remove top/bottom white bars on hover.
- Removed lighter background from top banner Switch and Logout buttons.
- Fixed issue where telegram navigation page numbers were aligned to the right instead of center.
- Removed transparency from banner login box, notices, and dossier and changed to match the side panel popout menus.
- Fixed issue where banner and side panel button text turned black when pointer was on popout box.
- Centered Show Trend picture on ranking table.
- Removed background to lighten horizontal bar on Subscriptions Notice page.
- Lightened border on text editing preview boxes.
- Fixed issue where larger regional flags covered dropdown boxes on upper right of regional census page, regional admin page, and posts on message board forum view page.
- Slightly reduced maximum size of region flag on main region page.
- Added lighter background and removed box shadow on dispatch articles.
- Fixed issue where dispatch table headers removed rounded edges on hover.
- Changed nation and region navigation bars to be more white-toned.
- Removed box shadow from regional message board search box.

2023-07-01
- Fixed Z-day issue where superweapon panel had white background.
- Removed white shadows from Z-day superweapon status text.
- Fixed Z-day issue where superweapon level text had a white background.
- Fixed issue where N-day stats had a white background.
- Fixed issues where trade fair alerts had light background.
- Fixed issue where Cards Against NationStates status had light background and cards were light against a light background.
- Lightened Alter Authority box border on Region Administration page.
- Added padding to map top to space it from World Factbook Entry.
- Fixed issue where disabled Add Ripple Effect option had a light background and darkened text.
- Removed background from file upload box.
- Brightened "New" indicator on new regional message board posts.
- Fixed issue with Trading Card table headers where border-radius was removed on hover.
- Darkened Trading Card sell/buy buttons on hover.

2021-03-06
- Fixed issue where plain tables were being highlighted on hover (removed highlight)
- Fixed issue where regular tables had bright highlights on hover (darkened highlight)
- Removed brightness filters on dispatch preview images to be consistent with Century Dark theme
- Darkened dispatch preview background to match posted dispatch background
- Added more rounded corners to dispatch preview

2021-02-27
- Removed brightness filters on dispatch images to be consistent with Century Dark theme
- Fixed issue where banners, trophies, and flags were at different brightness filter percentages
- Applied brightness filter to WA flags

2020-09-24
- Darkened background of faction name on N-day pages
- Darkened background on hover for N-day menu/view options

2020-06-04
- Fixed headers for card game tables

2020-05-26
- Removed colored header on plain user-created tables.
- Inverted RSS icon on hover in Dossier.
- Darkened background of "How Election Works" panel on the WA Secretary-General election page.
- Fixed Z-day faction name to inherit background color.
- Fixed Z-day countdowns on News page to inherit background color.
- Rounded top corners of telegram filters table.

2019-05-21
- Rounded corners and lightened background on policies boxes
- Lightened background around World/Region Rankings and Census Score box on the Trends page.
- Changed rounded corners and lightened background on Nation Summary box on the Nation Overview page.
- Added rounded corners to Factbook dispatches.

2017-08-27
- Darkened regional tag boxes
- Darkened local time box on N-Day^2 news entry
- Changed faction name boxes to blend into tables and aligned names with flags
- Darkened Nuclear Statistics boxes on hover
- Added box around current Nuclear Statistics box
- Removed bright shadow from Targeted and Incoming boxes

2017-02-26
- Removed very faint WA logo from background of proposals
- Brightened "For/Against" text on WA proposals
- Changed proposal and rejected resolution text from UnifrakturCook to Times New Roman
- Darkened proposal and regional voting box borders
- Darkened GenSec voting status and GenSec members box
- Removed box shadow from RMB posts
- Removed box shadow from issue submission text boxes
- Darkened Example box on Issue Submission Guidelines page

2016-10-15
- Darkened text color inside selected tags in the Region Tag Search

2016-02-21
- Fixed problem where buttons appeared only as light text and outline on a black background
- Removed text shadow from recent trend boxes
- Darkened background on hover and detailed view for recent trend boxes
- Darkened background for selected filter on ranking table
- Darkened background on hover for ranking table list
- Darkened background for new ranking infobox
- Removed shadow from region navbar on hover
- Removed shadow from regional ranking trend icon on hover
- Fixed problem in Settings page where email input box had a lighter background
- Fixed problem with search input box had a lighter background
- Fixed problem where new nation quiz text for was too dark

2015-03-07
- Removed unnecessary (and no longer functional) styling to nation login button
- Removed no longer functional code relating to old sidebar
- Fixed Subscriptions/Notices table (black background and white column headers)
- Fixed problem where multiple page titles/headers were black and removed shadows
- Fixed problem where nation badge (Moderator, WA Member, Roleplay Mentor, etc) was slightly too darkened
- Fixed problem where factbook voting box was extended too far down
- Removed shadow from sidebar and banner bar and added borders
- Darkened currency selection box on Store page
- Fixed problem where specifically selected black font color on regional WFE was not showing up as a readable color

2014-12-21
- Lightened nation pretitle on nation page
- Removed white corners on Region and Regional Influence boxes on main nation page
- Lightened backgrounds on Region, Nation Stats, and Regional Influence boxes
- Darkened unselected nation navbar icons and description text, lightened selected icon, and removed icon shadow on hover
- Removed shadow on side and banner bar, darkened on-hover background, and lightened icons on hover
- Lightened "Latest Forum Topics" on sidebar and removed bright background on hover for thread titles
- Lightened background for NationStates name at top of sidebar
- Rounded corners, lightened Notices and Dossier popup boxes, and adjusted them lower
- Darkened entries on Notices popup boxes and Notices page
- Adjusted the Switching Nations popup box lower
- Lightened background, removed shadows, and added borders for sidebar popout menus
- Lightened background and darkened borders for tables on Banners page
- Darkened telegram recipients on FAQ
- Fixed white background for regional "World Factbook Entry" title
- Removed coding pertaining to old sidebar

Code

For your amusement and interest, here are the direct links to the stylesheets:
Main Site
Forums

I'll keep the links updated when a new version is released.
Last edited by Northrop-Grumman on Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:05 pm, edited 22 times in total.

Bedetopia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bedetopia » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:46 am

I have a question.

What is the subdomain that should be included in the URL so that visitors clicking the link can see a nation with the Dark Rift theme? Because every unaltered NS link defaults to the white theme.

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:17 am

Bedetopia wrote:I have a question.

What is the subdomain that should be included in the URL so that visitors clicking the link can see a nation with the Dark Rift theme? Because every unaltered NS link defaults to the white theme.
As far as I'm aware, there isn't one.

Supreme Evil Overlord of NationStates
Attaché

Founded: Apr 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Supreme Evil Overlord of NationStates » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:12 pm

Hello,

If it's not a bother, I just wanted to point out the following. On the notice subscriptions page (http://www.nationstates.net/page=subscriptions) using Dark Rift, there are white/silver boxes surrounding "Event" and "Generate Notice" and an additional blank box above descriptions of the events (ie: "You receive a new telegram"). The only problem is that "Event" and "Generate Notice" are silver, and thereby hard to read. I am using Firefox.

Thank you for your time,
Just Another Player

P.S. Rift is okay, but evil Dark Rift is AWESOME!!! Much kudos to you all for the neato banners.
The North Polish Union wrote:I am in someone's sig! My life is complete! :p

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:44 pm

Bumping since Rift has become the site default theme. We now have two Darks:

1. "Dark," which is a darker variation of Rift. This thread is the place for comments/bug reports/suggestions.

2. "Century: Dark," which is a darker variation of Century. Please use the the Century Dark thread.

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:42 pm

Supreme Evil Overlord of NationStates wrote:Hello,

If it's not a bother, I just wanted to point out the following. On the notice subscriptions page (http://www.nationstates.net/page=subscriptions) using Dark Rift, there are white/silver boxes surrounding "Event" and "Generate Notice" and an additional blank box above descriptions of the events (ie: "You receive a new telegram"). The only problem is that "Event" and "Generate Notice" are silver, and thereby hard to read. I am using Firefox.

Thank you for your time,
Just Another Player

P.S. Rift is okay, but evil Dark Rift is AWESOME!!! Much kudos to you all for the neato banners.
It'll be taken care of in the next release. I've matched it up with how a table on the telegram preferences page looks, and this is what I have so far: https://i.imgur.com/0j8gACs.png

[violet] wrote:Bumping since Rift has become the site default theme. We now have two Darks:

1. "Dark," which is a darker variation of Rift. This thread is the place for comments/bug reports/suggestions.

2. "Century: Dark," which is a darker variation of Century. Please use the the Century Dark thread.
Thanks, [violet]!

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:59 pm

And updated!

2015/03/07
- Removed unnecessary (and no longer functional) styling to nation login button
- Removed no longer functional code relating to old sidebar
- Fixed Subscriptions/Notices table (black background and white column headers)
- Fixed problem where multiple page titles/headers were black and removed shadows
- Fixed problem where nation badge (Moderator, WA Member, Roleplay Mentor, etc) was slightly too darkened
- Fixed problem where factbook voting box was extended too far down
- Removed shadow from sidebar and banner bar and added borders
- Darkened currency selection box on Store page
- Fixed problem where specifically selected black font color on regional WFE was not showing up as a readable color

Krypton Nova
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 01, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Krypton Nova » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:57 am

The Dark Theme (Rift) seems to have issues with Firefox' "Hardware Acceleration" (or the other way around), not showing trophies on my nation's page when enabled. It does however show the trophies of other nations, and the default Rift works fine for my own nation too. Disabling hardware acceleration solved the problem. Just thought I should report this.
Member of the The LCRUA.

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:51 pm

Krypton Nova wrote:The Dark Theme (Rift) seems to have issues with Firefox' "Hardware Acceleration" (or the other way around), not showing trophies on my nation's page when enabled. It does however show the trophies of other nations, and the default Rift works fine for my own nation too. Disabling hardware acceleration solved the problem. Just thought I should report this.
Hrm, this is baffling. Everything seems to be running ok for me. I switched hardware acceleration on and off, closed and reopened the browser, and switched between both dark themes and default Rift. I'm using Firefox 48. What are you using?

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:24 am

The (new?) reverse tag button's text does not appear in Dark.

^with NS++ on

^With ns++ disabled, slightly more visible, but still difficult.

White on white is a wee bit hard to read :P
Last edited by Ever-Wandering Souls on Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:40 am

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:The (new?) reverse tag button's text does not appear in Dark.

(Image)
^with NS++ on

(Image)

Hah! Good point! (It took me a bit to figure out where this was; I completely forgot where the tagging pages were!)

I was poking around with what the issue is and it looks to be something that's pretty easy to deal with.

Thanks for letting me know!

EDIT: Apparently, this issue appeared on the Century Dark theme too.
Last edited by Northrop-Grumman on Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:59 pm

Northrop-Grumman wrote:
Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:The (new?) reverse tag button's text does not appear in Dark.

(Image)
^with NS++ on

(Image)

Hah! Good point! (It took me a bit to figure out where this was; I completely forgot where the tagging pages were!)

I was poking around with what the issue is and it looks to be something that's pretty easy to deal with.

Thanks for letting me know!

EDIT: Apparently, this issue appeared on the Century Dark theme too.

...I could have been a bit more clear about that, my apologies :P Thanks for the (pending) fix!
Last edited by Ever-Wandering Souls on Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:39 pm

Updated!

2016/10/15
- Darkened text color inside selected tags in the Region Tag Search

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:04 pm

The zombie button in the dark theme is ugly. Firefox/Windows 7.

Or rather, the background is: http://imgur.com/a/YjS60
The Blaatschapen should resign

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:18 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:The zombie button in the dark theme is ugly. Firefox/Windows 7.

The superweapons are also very hard to read :P Telegramming.

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:28 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:The zombie button in the dark theme is ugly. Firefox/Windows 7.

Fixed but may hang around in caches for a while.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:34 pm

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:The superweapons are also very hard to read

I put in a temp fix.

Lockdownn
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lockdownn » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:54 pm

The zombie option issue is hard to read as well. The glowing letters distract a bit.

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:12 am

Just as a heads-up, I am still working on this. I just noticed that there have been some changes done to the WA pages, particularly with some off text colors, so I am taking a look at that, along with the GenSec page.

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:07 am

Maybe I'm nuts, but I swear the way the spaces between RMB posts look just...changed. Make an edit? :P

Misley wrote:
The color or what?..

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:29 am

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:Maybe I'm nuts, but I swear the way the spaces between RMB posts look just...changed. Make an edit? :P
Indeed, the spaces have changed - not in height, but the shadows were removed so they do look a little more spaced apart!

By the way, updated!

2017/02/26
- Removed very faint WA logo from background of proposals
- Brightened "For/Against" text on WA proposals
- Changed proposal and rejected resolution text from UnifrakturCook to Times New Roman
- Darkened proposal and regional voting box borders
- Darkened GenSec voting status and GenSec members box
- Removed box shadow from RMB posts
- Removed box shadow from issue submission text boxes
- Darkened Example box on Issue Submission Guidelines page

Bedetopia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bedetopia » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:07 pm

Did you darken the red in the "Dismiss this issue" and "Wait no!" buttons? I'd appreciate if you made it brighter again.

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:51 pm

Bedetopia wrote:Did you darken the red in the "Dismiss this issue" and "Wait no!" buttons? I'd appreciate if you made it brighter again.
No, I didn't make a change to the buttons (at least, not intentionally). I'll take a better look at it once I'm not on a phone.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:26 pm

Maybe this?

Code: Select all
-button.danger, .button.danger { color: #F33; }
+button.danger { color: #F33; }

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:48 pm

[violet] wrote:Maybe this?

-button.danger, .button.danger { color: #F33; }
+button.danger { color: #F33; }
After poking around a bit, yes, that would be the right place. It hasn't been changed since at least before last October, though, but it looks like it's being overridden by another stylesheet - the ghbuttons one. Just some quick testing has gotten me to this solution:
button.danger { color: #F33 !important; }
button.danger:hover { color: #FFF !important; }

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical