NATION

PASSWORD

Refactoring (was: Refactor preview)

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:05 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Sanctaria wrote:Interesting. I've checked and it does appear that your nation does not have child labour set as legal.

You do, however, have capital punishment legalised.

I see...

is it a glitch?

Also, is capital punishment legal by default or can it only be legal because at some point in the past I've answered an issue making it so?

I don't think it's a glitch, I think I know what went wrong, but I need to talk to a colleague about it first. I could just be reading it wrong.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008

Postby Sanctaria » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:25 pm

Sanctaria wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
I see...

is it a glitch?

Also, is capital punishment legal by default or can it only be legal because at some point in the past I've answered an issue making it so?

I don't think it's a glitch, I think I know what went wrong, but I need to talk to a colleague about it first. I could just be reading it wrong.

Right, so, we had the descriptors on that mixed up, but hopefully we'll be able to get an admin to fix it at their next convenience.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:27 pm

Sanctaria wrote:
Sanctaria wrote:I don't think it's a glitch, I think I know what went wrong, but I need to talk to a colleague about it first. I could just be reading it wrong.

Right, so, we had the descriptors on that mixed up, but hopefully we'll be able to get an admin to fix it at their next convenience.

i see...

thanks. Let's hope it works.

Jinwoy
Senator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jinwoy » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:48 pm

Sanctaria wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:Yet I'm not sure how that came about. I don't think I've ever legalised the death penalty or child labor in any Issues.

Interesting. I've checked and it does appear that your nation does not have child labour set as legal.

You do, however, have capital punishment legalised.

Is there a way we can see what's legalised and what isn't, like you?
10 13! Years of Jinwoy
Only 8 years left until I can legally buy alcohol
Late-twenties/Straight White Male/Annoyingly Mildly Accelerationist
Hot Take: France is actually pretty cool, aside from all the neocolonialism and institutional racism. Paris still sucks.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:08 pm

Jinwoy wrote:Is there a way we can see what's legalised and what isn't, like you?

No, and that's on purpose. Revealing specifics about changes would lead to technical stat-wanking in the only significant game-managed area, issues. We prefer for the Law of Unintended Consequences to have a certain air of mystery.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:37 am

So we can split industry into black market but not large companies and small companies?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Enfaru
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Enfaru » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:48 am

Australian Republic wrote:So we can split industry into black market but not large companies and small companies?

The fact we even got ''Black Market'' was really surprising.

We already have "Large Industries" and "Small Industries". For the most part that's good enough. Doesn't need to be defined by the game any further it would make no point. Political simulation not an economic simulation (no matter how much you want it to be).
Sovereign Charter Quick Links
Factbook · Role-plays · RMB · Map (Origin | Quantum) · Chat · Members: 73
Myraxia: One does not learn to GM; One throws oneself in and prays they don't fuck up too badly.
Game Master
Founder of the Sovereign Charter,
4th President and,
Tutor of the College of Theatrics

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Mousebumples » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:25 pm

Personally, looking at the new economy tab, I wouldn't mind an economy tracker in the same way as the trend tab. Alternatively, maybe a history of highest and lowest values for a given nation on each value might be worthwhile from a historical perspective. Granted, my nation wouldn't have an 11+ year history of those numbers, but even starting from now (or from whenever the refactoring went live) would be awesome, moving forward.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Icamera
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Icamera » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:27 pm

Just noticed this now:
The TAR Elder Statesman of Icamera is a colossal, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by President Mark Abacoba with a fair hand, and notable for its frequent executions, daily referendums, and punitive income tax rates. The compassionate, hard-working, democratic, cheerful population of 8.234 billion Icamerans hold their civil and political rights very dear, although the wealthy and those in business tend to be viewed with suspicion.

The enormous, liberal, outspoken government juggles the competing demands of Education, Environment, and Defense. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Haplidahipe. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 84.9%.

I know NS doesn't shy away from absurdity, but this is a pretty big contradiction.

While we're at it, this bit here seems to indicate that my economy's thriving...
The frighteningly efficient Icameran economy, worth 858 trillion ladrolas a year, is highly specialized and mostly made up of the Book Publishing industry, with significant contributions from Tourism. Average income is an impressive 104,227 ladrolas, with the richest citizens earning 5.5 times as much as the poorest.

...yet the refactor preview seemed to be saying that I've got very little industry. Any explanation for that?
Senator of The Allied Republics
ICK-uh-MARE-uh (It's an anagram of America, not an Apple product)
(See here for all)
Rynatia wrote:If I asked you to sleep with me would you answer with the same answer to this question?

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:47 pm

Icamera wrote:I know NS doesn't shy away from absurdity, but this is a pretty big contradiction.

I don't see a contradiction here... you have very high tax rates ("punitive") and everyone pays them ("flat"). What's the issue exactly?

Icamera wrote:While we're at it, this bit here seems to indicate that my economy's thriving...
The frighteningly efficient Icameran economy, worth 858 trillion ladrolas a year, is highly specialized and mostly made up of the Book Publishing industry, with significant contributions from Tourism. Average income is an impressive 104,227 ladrolas, with the richest citizens earning 5.5 times as much as the poorest.

...yet the refactor preview seemed to be saying that I've got very little industry. Any explanation for that?

I wouldn't say you have very little industry. I guess it depends on what you're comparing it to. Why do you think it's small?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:00 pm

My nation says that the POOREST people have over $122,000 EACH. That can't be right
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:29 pm

Australian Republic wrote:My nation says that the POOREST people have over $122,000 EACH. That can't be right

You have the highest level of economy and higher than average income equality. So you have a lot of money spread relatively evenly throughout the populace.
Last edited by Luna Amore on Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:19 am

Luna Amore wrote:
Australian Republic wrote:My nation says that the POOREST people have over $122,000 EACH. That can't be right

You have the highest level of economy and higher than average income equality. So you have a lot of money spread relatively evenly throughout the populace.

Yea, but for the poorest to have that much money, the inflation rate would have to be so high that it would indicate poverty

Enfaru
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Enfaru » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:07 am

Australian Republic wrote:
Luna Amore wrote:You have the highest level of economy and higher than average income equality. So you have a lot of money spread relatively evenly throughout the populace.

Yea, but for the poorest to have that much money, the inflation rate would have to be so high that it would indicate poverty

Lets take Denmark, which is one of the most equal societies in the world. It's inflation was in 2014 about 0.6%... in the USA it was 1.3 ish.

http://www.inflation.eu/inflation-rates ... -2014.aspx

Equal societies have less inflation. No idea why.

I'm taking the World Bank Gini index for equality rating. 0 = Perfect equality. Denmark is 25, USA is about 40.
Last edited by Enfaru on Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sovereign Charter Quick Links
Factbook · Role-plays · RMB · Map (Origin | Quantum) · Chat · Members: 73
Myraxia: One does not learn to GM; One throws oneself in and prays they don't fuck up too badly.
Game Master
Founder of the Sovereign Charter,
4th President and,
Tutor of the College of Theatrics

Icamera
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Icamera » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:14 pm

[violet] wrote:I don't see a contradiction here... you have very high tax rates ("punitive") and everyone pays them ("flat"). What's the issue exactly?

Well, the main issue here is that I seem to have gotten the idea that a "punitive" income tax is the same as a *graduated* income tax. :P Sorry!

I wouldn't say you have very little industry. I guess it depends on what you're comparing it to. Why do you think it's small?

Come to think of it, I was mostly comparing myself to nations that would likely have very sizable economies... I guess I only felt that way because of the selection bias.
Senator of The Allied Republics
ICK-uh-MARE-uh (It's an anagram of America, not an Apple product)
(See here for all)
Rynatia wrote:If I asked you to sleep with me would you answer with the same answer to this question?

Tessen
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 21, 2004

Postby Tessen » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:03 pm

Enfaru wrote:
Australian Republic wrote:Yea, but for the poorest to have that much money, the inflation rate would have to be so high that it would indicate poverty

Lets take Denmark, which is one of the most equal societies in the world. It's inflation was in 2014 about 0.6%... in the USA it was 1.3 ish.

I'm taking the World Bank Gini index for equality rating. 0 = Perfect equality. Denmark is 25, USA is about 40.

Under the current game format, the economy values and the average income numbers will NEVER be anywhere near reflective of the real world, because they are based upon the billion-population scale of the Nationstates environment. When a large nation in NS can have 20 BILLION people in it, and the average incomes are based upon that high of a national scale, the monetary amounts -- even the incomes for the poor -- will be outrageously high. The real WORLD has roughly 7 billion people in it.

I understand that NS follows the billion-population scale because that's how it has always been, and that's how people compare the age of nations here in the game. But, if you're going to offer monetary amounts, there should be some sort of alternate option that brings the nation populations down to a more real-life-like size.

In my roleplay region(s), we drop the last three zeros in any game population, making a 20 billion population become 20 million. It's more practical that way. Perhaps, if NS is going to offer average incomes, and budgetary amounts, then there can be an option for those to be calculated off of a more realistic population number (resulting in more realistic financial information), while still keeping a listing of what the nation's NS age-based population is?

Director of the American Union and American Independent States roleplay regions.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:26 pm

Tessen wrote:
Enfaru wrote:

Under the current game format, the economy values and the average income numbers will NEVER be anywhere near reflective of the real world, because they are based upon the billion-population scale of the Nationstates environment. When a large nation in NS can have 20 BILLION people in it, and the average incomes are based upon that high of a national scale, the monetary amounts -- even the incomes for the poor -- will be outrageously high. The real WORLD has roughly 7 billion people in it.

I understand that NS follows the billion-population scale because that's how it has always been, and that's how people compare the age of nations here in the game. But, if you're going to offer monetary amounts, there should be some sort of alternate option that brings the nation populations down to a more real-life-like size.

In my roleplay region(s), we drop the last three zeros in any game population, making a 20 billion population become 20 million. It's more practical that way. Perhaps, if NS is going to offer average incomes, and budgetary amounts, then there can be an option for those to be calculated off of a more realistic population number (resulting in more realistic financial information), while still keeping a listing of what the nation's NS age-based population is?

Fair enough

Planita
Ambassador

Founded: May 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Planita » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:18 am

I would like to know why I have such a large black market. No one else in my region seems to have it so how can I get rid of it?

Jinwoy
Senator

Postby Jinwoy » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:46 am

Planita wrote:I would like to know why I have such a large black market. No one else in my region seems to have it so how can I get rid of it?

Police.
10 13! Years of Jinwoy
Hot Take: France is actually pretty cool, aside from all the neocolonialism and institutional racism. Paris still sucks.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:58 pm

Jinwoy wrote:
Planita wrote:I would like to know why I have such a large black market. No one else in my region seems to have it so how can I get rid of it?

Police.

Yep, other methods include: reduce corruption, reduce taxes, reduce economic regulation, reduce crime!

There can be very indirect effects here, too, like increasing education spending, which reduces crime, which reduces black market activity.

But the black market adds to your GDP, so clamping down on it can reduce citizens' average income.

Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014

Postby Jute » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:45 am

[violet] wrote:
Jinwoy wrote:
Police.

Yep, other methods include: reduce corruption, reduce taxes, reduce economic regulation, reduce crime!

There can be very indirect effects here, too, like increasing education spending, which reduces crime, which reduces black market activity.

But the black market adds to your GDP, so clamping down on it can reduce citizens' average income.

So that's why I don't have a black market despite seemingly really high taxes, no corruption and crime?
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:49 pm

Jute wrote:
[violet] wrote:Yep, other methods include: reduce corruption, reduce taxes, reduce economic regulation, reduce crime!

So that's why I don't have a black market despite seemingly really high taxes, no corruption and crime?

Yes, it's a combination of things. You can't have a black market without tax and regulation, but beyond that it depends on the balance of factors like those mentioned above.

Athaulphia
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 16, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Athaulphia » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:52 am

MY NATION, TOTALLY RUINED BY REFACTORING! Did you say that most nations only would be "a little" affected?

budgetbefore refactoringafter refactoring
Administration0%0%
Social Welfare15%14%
Healthcare15%12%
Education24%73%
Religion & Spirituality0%0%
Defence6%0%
Law & Order5%0%
Commerce6%0%
Public Transport10%0%
The Environment9%0%
Social Equality11%0%

Refactoring has almost destroyed the result of eight years trying to build a prosperous, free, democratic, cultured, socially fair and advanced nation. I have waited for a month, hoping that I could fix it by answering issues, but I guess I'm going to give up. That demented education budget stays the same, and the other chapters (excepting welfare and healthcare) remain at zero.

I have the same problem in other nations and answering issues have been almost inutile: i.e. I answered issue #14: "Military Demands Increased Spending" to raise defense budget, and it "rose" from 0% to a ridiculous 0.4%. How many times I should get the correct issue to fix this disaster? What can I do? Can I reset my nation? But if I let it "die" and refound it, it will stay the same...!

Is there any possible solution?

Jinwoy
Senator

Postby Jinwoy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:16 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Jinwoy wrote:Is there a way we can see what's legalised and what isn't, like you?

No, and that's on purpose. Revealing specifics about changes would lead to technical stat-wanking in the only significant game-managed area, issues. We prefer for the Law of Unintended Consequences to have a certain air of mystery.

I can understand your point here, but until the Banners were released, I had no idea that my nation was made up of "Self Governing Regions" (The banner, "Perched")... How do I, the person who owns and operates this particular nation as a Unitary state, not even realise I had split up into autonomous regions? That genuinely seems like something I outta know about right away!
10 13! Years of Jinwoy

Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014

Postby Jute » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:31 am

Jinwoy wrote:
Frisbeeteria wrote:No, and that's on purpose. Revealing specifics about changes would lead to technical stat-wanking in the only significant game-managed area, issues. We prefer for the Law of Unintended Consequences to have a certain air of mystery.

I can understand your point here, but until the Banners were released, I had no idea that my nation was made up of "Self Governing Regions" (The banner, "Perched")... How do I, the person who owns and operates this particular nation as a Unitary state, not even realise I had split up into autonomous regions? That genuinely seems like something I outta know about right away!

I always choose the "give everyone the same political power2 when it comes to choosing the political leader and yet I still don't have that. I wonder what I could do to achieve that?
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical