NATION

PASSWORD

Refactoring (was: Refactor preview)

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Jinwoy
Senator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jinwoy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:54 am

Arkiasis wrote:
Jinwoy wrote:
I can't log onto NStracker right now, but I have a hunching suspicion that the numbers do line up - they're just blown out of proportion by the exchange rate.
EDIT: They're not lined up. My GDP on NStracker is 7.8 trillion NSD, while here it's 1.07 Trillion $Jinwoy (with no exchange rate, it's hard to determine, but I somehow doubt my currency is powerful enough to be roughly 7 times the value of NSD).

Your GDP is 1,072 trillion ie. "one thousands seventy two trillion". Not "one point zero seven two trillion". However that confuses things even more. Either all our currencies are insanely inflated or we're all somehow insanely rich.

Oh sweet Jesus! I didn't even realise!
10 13! Years of Jinwoy
Only 8 years left until I can legally buy alcohol
Late-twenties/Straight White Male/Annoyingly Mildly Accelerationist
Hot Take: France is actually pretty cool, aside from all the neocolonialism and institutional racism. Paris still sucks.

Jinwoy
Senator

Founded: May 30, 2011

Postby Jinwoy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:06 am

Quick questions for Violet:
- Will there be a customisable population we can supplant over the growing population mechanic?
Eg: The compassionate, hard-working population of 98 million (NS: 7.86 billion)
And calculations are based off of that rather than the NS model?
Perhaps it could be unlocked after a certain number of citizens are acquired.

- Will there be an official exchange rate between NSD and local currencies, so we have an idea whether or not our currency is over inflated or deflated?
10 13! Years of Jinwoy
Only 8 years left until I can legally buy alcohol
Late-twenties/Straight White Male/Annoyingly Mildly Accelerationist
Hot Take: France is actually pretty cool, aside from all the neocolonialism and institutional racism. Paris still sucks.

Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014

Postby Jute » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:38 am

Alright, I actually like most of the changes and additions. But how could my tourism industry crash down that much? It went from more than 1000 tourists per hour to below 35, the world average. I don't understand that...
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Vulpenia
Secretary

Founded: Apr 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vulpenia » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:40 am

What in the name of the Invisible Pink Unicorn and Her Holy Hooves happened to my crime rate? :shock: It was "totally unknown", now crime in Vulpenia is "all-pervasive". It says "because of the absence of a police force", but I never had one before the refactoring either, so what changed?

Rototornik
Envoy

Founded: Jun 22, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rototornik » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:41 am

I suddenly have a thriving black market (when compared to the preview, which showed about 2%). Why is that?

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:46 am

Vulpenia wrote:What in the name of the Invisible Pink Unicorn and Her Holy Hooves happened to my crime rate? :shock: It was "totally unknown", now crime in Vulpenia is "all-pervasive". It says "because of the absence of a police force", but I never had one before the refactoring either, so what changed?

I have no prisons, and yet my crime rate went down to 0 %...
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Laevendell
Envoy

Founded: Jan 29, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Laevendell » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:07 am

I love it, it's even better than the preview hinted! :)
I've found a small grammatical error (missing word) in the national description of my nation:
"The frighteningly efficient Laeven economy, worth a remarkable 1,855 trillion tokens a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal."
I'm assuming it should be "with private enterprise being illegal"?

Tulija
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tulija » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:40 am

Massive spike in crime, I presume due to historic underfunding of Law and Order? Previously it was implied social cohesion and wealth generated by Tulija's highly prosperous economy, as well as balanced and effective social policy, education and benefits, kept crime very low. Now it seems the underfunding of Law and Order has been reflected in the crime rate - reasonable enough, I just wish there had been mire chances previously to fund Law and Order, that did not also impact Civil Rights. If there had been, I would have answered more crime issues t achieve this.

Of course, not much of this could have been entirely foreseen. Looks like I'm in a for a long policy battle to lower crime.
Look up my Factbook, it's snazzy
THE UNITED PROVINCES OF TULIJA
Tulija is a Great Power, renowned for its liberal culture and technocratic governance. It is a world leader in several areas (education, social mobility, HDI, GDP, lack of corruption, public services, technology, secularism etc.) and maintains an excellently equipped and trained military. Regularly topping lists of most desirable locations to live in, its freedoms and economic success are largely unparalleled. Internationally, its foreign policy holds substantial sway. If it were real:
Caeruleus wrote:It would be by far the best country in the world
GDP per Capita = $51,461
Unemployment = 3.2%
Inflation = 1.8%
HDI = 0.988
₳1 = $1.95
Head of State:
The Rt. Hon. Arch Minister, Arthur Kaylor

Factbook!

Tolmakia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Tolmakia » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:51 am

Yay! I'm quite happy with my low tax and stuff. I love the changes.
~REPUBLICAN STATE OF TOLMAKIA~

Official Tolmakia Wiki

Avaerilon
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 03, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Avaerilon » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:54 am

Loving the expanded descriptions as well as the general refactoring; nice work, technical team :clap:
===I'M A UNIVERSITY TEACHER===
No, my IC tax rate is NOT 100%
On Behalf of His Most Royal Majesty, King Aubrey the Dragonheart
Essel y fend Ēg Regnerarch Mawregddog, Regnyr Awbru yr Amdragalon

Vulpenia
Secretary

Founded: Apr 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vulpenia » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:18 am

Tulija wrote:Massive spike in crime, I presume due to historic underfunding of Law and Order? Previously it was implied social cohesion and wealth generated by Tulija's highly prosperous economy, as well as balanced and effective social policy, education and benefits, kept crime very low.

It used to be that Education was at least as effective at preventing crime as Law and Order, but now that appears to count for nothing.

Laevendell
Envoy

Founded: Jan 29, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Laevendell » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:13 am

I think multiple factors could impact the crime rate - e.g. income equality, happiness, law & order, education, welfare and solidarity in general.
My nation has no crime (Crime is unknown) and it has no funding for law & order, so it can't depend entirely on that.
Last edited by Laevendell on Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nephmir
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nephmir » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:21 am

Unexpected results. The preview showed much different refactored stats. Income tax is 25% while the preview said it would be 45% just yesterday. Also an increase in the black market by more than 4%.

Not complaining though, by any means, just curious as to what happened. :p
SC Resolutions
SC#165 | SC#173
_
_
The 300 Endorsements of Nephmir
"100 by land, 100 by air, 100 by sea."
Mercenary of The Sable Order
Commander in Project Soul

Hazelya
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Hazelya » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:46 am

Very coherent changes :
The 2 favorized fields (IT & Book Publishing) became positive after the changes, however very strange update :

The tourism, WTF dropped under world average whereas I have always been very high on that topic (top 5%) - High Weather, Low Toxicity, High Environmental Beauty, High Safety, High Niceness... And low tourism.

I don't get it

Desu Reich
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Economy Overhaul

Postby Desu Reich » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:54 am

Just noticed the major economy change, apparently I now have a 2,6% flat income tax (down from like 30%).
This is kind of nice, what new mechanics are in play?

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:56 am

Desu Reich wrote:Just noticed the major economy change, apparently I now have a 2,6% flat income tax (down from like 30%).
This is kind of nice, what new mechanics are in play?

Ya I used to have +90% income tax. Now its...
92.7%
Never mind.

The 12 Districts
Civilian

Founded: Jan 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The 12 Districts » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:57 am

Tells you the GDP and how much money your citizens are making.

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:57 am

Hazelya wrote:Very coherent changes :
The 2 favorized fields (IT & Book Publishing) became positive after the changes, however very strange update :

The tourism, WTF dropped under world average whereas I have always been very high on that topic (top 5%) - High Weather, Low Toxicity, High Environmental Beauty, High Safety, High Niceness... And low tourism.

I don't get it
Same. I wonder what caused that?

Heraklea-
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Heraklea- » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:03 am

The 12 Districts wrote:Tells you the GDP and how much money your citizens are making.

That may or may not be broken. My GDP per capita is 160866 in the local currency, which according to NSEconomy has a 1:1.6264 ration with the dollar. My average citizen makes about 250K annually, my "poorest" making about 190K annually.

Mektar
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mektar » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:07 am

Apparently they fixed the fact that you can be at 0% funding in an area and keep on gutting funding to lower taxes.

Some other stuff is going on, though.

I still have 0% funding to religion and spirituality.
I now have defense spending (to the tune of 3.6 trillion solarin).
I think my education funding was cut.
Taxes were cut from 91% to 71%.

Needless to say, I'm going to try to regain my lost education funding and get the "compassionate, hard-working, intelligent" qualifier back for me citizens, and hopefully at the very least keep my "Top 5% World's Smartest" badge and at some point earn the "Scientifically Advanced" badge.

I do enjoy the extra details about my economy, though.
Left-leaning, registered as independent. An engineering/physics student.
26, male, hetero, agnostic, INTP

Pro: education, infrastructure, marriage equality

Harkback Union
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Harkback Union » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:25 am

Wait, I made my earlier post on another thread.

WHAT KIND OF WIZARDRY IS THIS?!?

95X
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 30, 2004
Ex-Nation

Refactoring

Postby 95X » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:27 am

I'm sorry if this was covered already as I'm on cell phone data ATM so I can't comfortably sift through 16 pages.

With that said, is this the wrong time to ask about things like alternate national tax policies (i.e. national sales tax) or the fact that nothing in my nation would be referred to as "95Xian?"

This isn't a complaint as I've always thought of 95X as a dystopian nation that at least has transit systems.
Nation not my RL views, etc.
Poe's Law. Nonpartisan.
Is it sad that some I learned AO4LIFE from are no longer in Atlantian Oceania?
“An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.”—Niels Bohr
‘Everyone makes mistakes, that's why they put erasers at the end of pencils.’—Bob Monkhouse paraphrase
“If you want to read books, read books.”—Dennis James
AOCAF 22 & 47 Champions! • Volleyball World Expo 1, 2, 4, 7 & 9 Champions!

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:32 am

95X wrote:The fact that nothing in my nation would be referred to as "95Xian?"

You can change your national demonyms in the settings page.

Mektar
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mektar » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:36 am

I think 95X is referring to the second paragraph, though, which is also happening to me. I have so many Mektarans (without an i), but later on, it refers to the Mektarian (with an i) economy.

As far as I know, nothing can be done about it.

Similarly, 95X's page uses both "95Xers" and "95Xian".
Last edited by Mektar on Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Left-leaning, registered as independent. An engineering/physics student.
26, male, hetero, agnostic, INTP

Pro: education, infrastructure, marriage equality

Titananium
Envoy

Founded: Feb 24, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Titananium » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:36 am

Titananium wrote:I am slightly confused by the refactoring...in the preview it showed an increase in people's industry size...yet even some of the massive industrial nations have beenbcut down is size of their industries....in other words, why does an increase show as a decrease?

Sorry to quote my own post...but no one seems to have answered my question in any way, shape, or form.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical