NATION

PASSWORD

New theme: Rift

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Todlichebujoku
Senator

Founded: Feb 24, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Todlichebujoku » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:53 pm

Alleniana wrote:
Firsthome wrote:There should be a function, where you can remove old threads from the "view your posts" section. would be useful to trim it down to only the recent stuff you care about.

Or, perhaps, a separate page where you can add threads you want to track.

We could even call it a "bookmarks" page.
早晨!ToBu for short.
[violet] wrote:You are my go-to nation for long names.
Oct 16 2018- Indo States wrote:YOU'RE FALSE TOBU
Apr 21 2020- Llalta wrote:omg tobu you’ve literally given me asthma with ur art

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:04 pm

Alleniana wrote:Hmm, so is Rift forumside at all?

For players that use the sidebar, that's Rift-like on the forums, but that's still gameside displaying.

Of course, I use the top nav bar, so I can't even remember what that looks like next to the forum. :P
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Alleniana
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 23, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:43 pm

Mousebumples wrote:
Alleniana wrote:Hmm, so is Rift forumside at all?

For players that use the sidebar, that's Rift-like on the forums, but that's still gameside displaying.

Of course, I use the top nav bar, so I can't even remember what that looks like next to the forum. :P

Hm, so Rift isn't really forum.
Topbar is great, makes post looks shorter and encourages longer IC posts :P

Parhe
Powerbroker

Founded: May 10, 2011
Anarchy

New theme: Rift

Postby Parhe » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:33 pm

Hi. So I had a small possible request-suggestion. Small, very small. Sorry if it is asking of too much. I don't know of codes so I don't know if this is a lot of work. Sorry if it is, especially since it will only lead to a very tiny change.

I thought it might be nice if the banners had the name of the banners (ex. Vista, Hostile Elements, Custom #1, so on) on them somewhere, doesn't have to be large, as they rotate. Perhaps only on "your" own page in case y'all don't want it to ruin possible surprises for others who stumble on another's page and see a banner unknown to him/her. I thought it may of make it easier for people to see what accomplishment a specific banner celebrates (or whatever the corresponding terms are for a banner signaling something "negative"). Currently, going straight to the "Choose Banner" page to look through and track down a specific banner can be of slow, as sometimes (perhaps this is for me only) the banners take more than a few seconds to load even after I scroll down to them. If people of know the name for the banner, they could use the word search thing on their browser to more quickly find the banners. Sorry for the bother, I know it is a minor suggestions. I just thought it could be a nice touch and hoped it would be one not hard to do. Thanks for reading, y'all.
Hey, it is Parhe :D I am always open to telegrams.
I know it is a Work-In-Progress, but I would love it if y'all looked at my new factbook and gave me some feedback!

BRING BACK THE ICE CLIMBERS

Alleniana
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:34 pm

Parhe wrote:Hi. So I had a small possible request-suggestion. Small, very small. Sorry if it is asking of too much. I don't know of codes so I don't know if this is a lot of work. Sorry if it is, especially since it will only lead to a very tiny change.

I thought it might be nice if the banners had the name of the banners (ex. Vista, Hostile Elements, Custom #1, so on) on them somewhere, doesn't have to be large, as they rotate. Perhaps only on "your" own page in case y'all don't want it to ruin possible surprises for others who stumble on another's page and see a banner unknown to him/her. I thought it may of make it easier for people to see what accomplishment a specific banner celebrates (or whatever the corresponding terms are for a banner signaling something "negative"). Currently, going straight to the "Choose Banner" page to look through and track down a specific banner can be of slow, as sometimes (perhaps this is for me only) the banners take more than a few seconds to load even after I scroll down to them. If people of know the name for the banner, they could use the word search thing on their browser to more quickly find the banners. Sorry for the bother, I know it is a minor suggestions. I just thought it could be a nice touch and hoped it would be one not hard to do. Thanks for reading, y'all.

I agree, this would be really helpful. It's really annoying seeing a banner go by and thinking "woah, when did I get that?" and then scrolling endlessly looking for it.

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:48 am

Alleniana wrote:I agree, this would be really helpful. It's really annoying seeing a banner go by and thinking "woah, when did I get that?" and then scrolling endlessly looking for it.

There is a way to do this already, though it is a bit complex. If it's the only way, though, it might be worth it. (Note: It probably won't work on mobile devices, as their browsers usually have less features than desktop browsers.)
1. Right-click on the banner while it's being displayed. Select "View Image" or similar. (In Firefox, the option is "View Background Image".) You should see just the full-size banner in your browser.
2. Look at the URL and copy the short code at the end. (Example: http://www.nationstates.net/images/banners/l36.jpg)
3. Insert that code into this URL:
Code: Select all
http://nationstates.net/page=banners#banner_<INSERT CODE HERE>

4. Go to the URL from step 3. You will, obviously, land on your banners page. Click the refresh button, and your browser will automatically scroll to the banner you are looking for.

These steps really boil down to two things: getting the banner's code from the server's banner directory, and plugging that code into your banners page to tell your browser where on the page to go to.
Last edited by Phydios on Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Alleniana
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:53 am

Phydios wrote:
Alleniana wrote:I agree, this would be really helpful. It's really annoying seeing a banner go by and thinking "woah, when did I get that?" and then scrolling endlessly looking for it.

There is a way to do this already, though it is a bit complex. If it's the only way, though, it might be worth it. (Note: It probably won't work on mobile devices, as their browsers usually have less features than desktop browsers.)
1. Right-click on the banner while it's being displayed. Select "View Image" or similar. (In Firefox, the option is "View Background Image".) You should see just the full-size banner in your browser.
2. Look at the URL and copy the short code at the end. (Example: http://www.nationstates.net/images/banners/l36.jpg)

4. Go to the URL from step 3. You will, obviously, land on your banners page. Click the refresh button, and your browser will automatically scroll to the banner you are looking for.

These steps really boil down to two things: getting the banner's code from the server's banner directory, and plugging that code into your banners page to tell your browser where on the page to go to.

Aha. Yeah, that does work; I guess if I'm really curious, I can do this. Thanks for showing me. But still annoying if it goes past too fast or something; would be nice to have a simpler way.

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:55 am

Alleniana wrote:
Phydios wrote:There is a way to do this already, though it is a bit complex. If it's the only way, though, it might be worth it. (Note: It probably won't work on mobile devices, as their browsers usually have less features than desktop browsers.)

Aha. Yeah, that does work; I guess if I'm really curious, I can do this. Thanks for showing me. But still annoying if it goes past too fast or something; would be nice to have a simpler way.

Yep. But, again, if it's the only way, it might be worth it.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical