NATION

PASSWORD

New theme: Rift

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Parhe
Powerbroker

Founded: May 10, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Parhe » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:56 pm

OMG Hi Frisbee I saw you on here earlier Hi again.
Andacantra wrote:First one for now:

Custom #4
Reach 5 billion citizens

Is locked. Fairly sure I hit 5 billion quite some time ago.

Noticed this. Is this because I left the first 3 Customs empty and this only opens up when I need it?

Also if there was an easier way to see which banner was "on" or "off"
Like maybe when you are in page=banners there is a choice to display, or prioritize, the ones that are on or are not so it is easier to keep track of.
Last complaint (I love this though), the gap between the nation's flag and banner is a bit annoying on the nation page. is there a way to minimize it? (In part, because of the shadow effect, it looks really uneven and messy, with the right side gap being much smaller looking than the one on left and on top despite being the same.)

Love it. Been with Dark for so long but I might make this my default.

EDIT: Switched Left and Right.
Last edited by Parhe on Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey, it is Parhe :D I am always open to telegrams.
I know it is a Work-In-Progress, but I would love it if y'all looked at my new factbook and gave me some feedback!

BRING BACK THE ICE CLIMBERS

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:00 pm

Meepcraftia wrote:The new theme is amazing! Although there is one minor complaint: that's a lot of banners to scroll through (when choosing). Don't get me wrong... I love the banners, but picking them out is slightly challenging. I am on an iPad so that may affect things.

They are listed in the order in which you've unlocked them. This will work a lot better in the future than it does today, because most older nations have just qualified for a crapload of banners, in no particular order.

But any ideas for a way to sort/filter/organize them are welcome!

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:03 pm

Christian Constantinople wrote:Don't know if anyone else has said this but, the like and quote button on the RMB can't be seen on the iPad.

Oh wow, yes, that's a pain. They appear if you tap roughly where you expect them to be. But then you wind up accidentally Liking or Quoting people.

Thanks for the report; I'll fix that.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:03 pm

[violet] wrote:
Meepcraftia wrote:The new theme is amazing! Although there is one minor complaint: that's a lot of banners to scroll through (when choosing). Don't get me wrong... I love the banners, but picking them out is slightly challenging. I am on an iPad so that may affect things.

They are listed in the order in which you've unlocked them. This will work a lot better in the future than it does today, because most older nations have just qualified for a crapload of banners, in no particular order.

"Build a military", "build a substantial military" and soforth could be condensed in a category.

Or allow people to reorganise them and/or use a "favourite" system to put their favourite banners on top.
Last edited by Esternial on Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:04 pm

Awesome! I just looked around the new theme with one of my puppet nations. :hug:

(Until all the bugs are out, though, I'll stick with the default theme.)

Are you planning on allowing regions to have their own banners too?

They could be based on the world rankings: http://www.nationstates.net/page=list_regions
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Parhe
Powerbroker

Founded: May 10, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Parhe » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:04 pm

[violet] wrote:

Okay so I know nothing about codes so I am not sure if this is possible or how difficult if it is but how about something like a spoiler tag for similar ones? Like a Spoiler for the customs, Spoiler for the ###Citizens and Good/Bad/Whatever Citizens, or a Spoiler for "Strong Economic Sector X" and so on. That way there is less scrolling but people may be able to see easier under which spoiler one might be.
Hey, it is Parhe :D I am always open to telegrams.
I know it is a Work-In-Progress, but I would love it if y'all looked at my new factbook and gave me some feedback!

BRING BACK THE ICE CLIMBERS

Christian Constantinople
Envoy

Founded: Jun 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Constantinople » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:05 pm

[violet] wrote:
Christian Constantinople wrote:Don't know if anyone else has said this but, the like and quote button on the RMB can't be seen on the iPad.

Oh wow, yes, that's a pain. They appear if you tap roughly where you expect them to be. But then you wind up accidentally Liking or Quoting people.

Thanks for the report; I'll fix that.

Thank you!

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:06 pm

[violet] wrote:

Even just a "in use/on" and "off" sort might help, to put the ones you've got on on top :)
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Miencraft
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 03, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Miencraft » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:11 pm

Probably a broken record at this point, but honestly I'm not going to look through 5 pages to see if it was already answered: are there plans to make a dark version of Rift? Because Rift is awesome, but so is Dark, and together they'd be the best thing ever.

Also, what exactly are the sizes of the banners?

The Nation of Ceneria
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nation of Ceneria » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:12 pm

Could the white border around the national flag disappear, like the fact that there is no border around the WA member badge.

Alleniana
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 23, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:12 pm

Miencraft wrote:Probably a broken record at this point, but honestly I'm not going to look through 5 pages to see if it was already answered: are there plans to make a dark version of Rift? Because Rift is awesome, but so is Dark, and together they'd be the best thing ever.

Also, what exactly are the sizes of the banners?

Dark is definitely coming from what I've heard.

Planita
Ambassador

Founded: May 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Planita » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:16 pm

WOW :clap: :bow:

United Western States of America
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby United Western States of America » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:17 pm

So, I just turned Rift on a few minutes ago and tested it out a bit, and have some feedback and constructive criticism. I'll start with the positive feedback.

Overall, the new look is really cool. I especially like how you choose the banners for your nation's page, as well as how the nation's leader is mentioned under the motto, making it look as if he said it. I like the banners, and how they change from one banner to another. I also like how you get to unlock even more banners as your nation progresses. I think that this will encourage new players to develop their nation into something great. The fact that the Tech Team even put their time and effort into this means a lot to the players, because it shows that the Game Admins actually care about the player base and that we are not just here to boost the popularity of the game so they can make a name for themselves. I also like how you got rid of the classification where it would cross out one and put in another (For example, "Inoffensive Centralist Democracy" is stretched out and replaced by "Communists"). I felt that that feature was unhelpful and occasionally inaccurate in actually describing the nation in question.

On the flip side, I do have a few concerns. The feature where the game sends notifications to you that you have been quoted on the RMB might not work as intended. When I first fired up Rift, I got hammered by notifications. Granted, most of them were notifications that I had banners to use, but I still can see this going wrong. In large, active regions like The North Pacific, Balder, or the Rejected Realms, players might get bulldozed by quote notifications if they are a particularly active player. Additionally, I personally don't give a darn if someone quoted me, and I suspect other players don't either, but that's just a personal preference. Someone might disagree. Finally, the time that someone would have to play to unlock a custom banner might be too long of a wait for some, because few players are of that population, and even dedicated players might lose interest before they get to 20 billion.

Overall, I really like the new style, and I hope that stays as a part of the game. I also look forward to unlocking new banners. Thank you, [violet], and the others, for putting the time and effort into creating this feature.

EDIT: One more suggestion: move the WA Member tag somewhere where it is easier to see, or make it a little bit more visible. I can't see it as good as I think the WA deserves credit for.
Last edited by United Western States of America on Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
National Information
Coming soon
ن In Solidarity with Middle Eastern Christians ن
Proud member and founder of The Other Reality
Interested in a RP-based region? Check us out here!
NS stats are guidlines and should not be taken as fact!

Starkiller101
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Starkiller101 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:17 pm

Love the like button... just hope this doesn't turn into a facebook revolution :p
Last edited by Starkiller101 on Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roll tide. Your local ''Floridman'' who should have left long ago xD

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:18 pm

Should be fixed now. Thanks for the report!

Terrelis
Minister

Founded: Aug 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Terrelis » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:18 pm

I suggest that you guys switch the positions of the motto and WA classification. As well as flip the positions of the region/influence and political/civil/economic ratings; ie move the region/influence below the ratings.

Sunarctica
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sunarctica » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:19 pm

I love this! However, I've noticed that while looking at the forums, the flag of my nation disappears for some reason...

Escalan Corps-Star Island
Senator

Founded: May 07, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Escalan Corps-Star Island » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:20 pm

Very pretty. Naturally I'm looking forwards to a "Dark Rift", but this looks very sleek and the banners are a neat addition. Nice work team.

Wolfenia
Envoy

Founded: Mar 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Wolfenia » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:20 pm

----Nation page
1. Why under a nation's motto do you see the name of the leader? Not everyone puts quotes in.
2. Why do we need symbols for the sub pages. Was economy too big of a word for the averge NS player (I can answer that one; No it isn't)
3. It looks like iOS7 (as in it's ugly and looks like something made for little children.) The font choices are cluttered. Nation classification is a different font, size and color than the name and there are no dividers between the differnt parts of the page.

----Region Page
The exact same as before, but with the childish sidebar and top bar.

----fourm
The same as before.

Tano
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tano » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:21 pm

Dear NS team,

I love you. I can't even right now.

Cannot. Even.

Sincerly,

He-who-only-odds
Tano Holland
Govindia: Do you consider me a friend, or just an acquaintance or what?
hobbes: I don't particularly consider anyone a true 'friend'
hobbes: at least,not on NS
Govindia: why is that?
hobbes: because
hobbes: everyone here is a jackass
hobbes: myself included

Pixie: *heart sploosh*
Tano: if your heart is splooshing you should contact a doctor
Tano: hearts are supposed to thump not sploosh
Pixie: No this is normal
Pixie: intense emotion causes me to hemorrage internally
Pixie: my life is like a really depressing comedic episode of The X-Files

Khron: we need an achievment of rem's face just for Tano
Pixie: haha
Pixie: "be Tano"

Brunhilde: My quotes should be in more signatures.

Also known as Takane or Terisclu

SuperFruitland
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby SuperFruitland » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:21 pm

Not sure if it's a bug or on purpose, but I don't have a button to reach muh nation page when scanning the forums...

-windows 8, Google Chrome-
Last edited by SuperFruitland on Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alleniana
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 23, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:22 pm

Wolfenia wrote:----Nation page
1. Why under a nation's motto do you see the name of the leader? Not everyone puts quotes in.
2. Why do we need symbols for the sub pages. Was economy too big of a word for the averge NS player (I can answer that one; No it isn't)
3. It looks like iOS7 (as in it's ugly and looks like something made for little children.) The font choices are cluttered. Nation classification is a different font, size and color than the name and there are no dividers between the differnt parts of the page.

----Region Page
The exact same as before, but with the childish sidebar and top bar.

----fourm
The same as before.

1 has been addressed multiple times, 2; if you mouse over, it shows the word, and I do agree that font might be improved.

Planita
Ambassador

Founded: May 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Planita » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:23 pm

No words

United Western States of America
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby United Western States of America » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:23 pm

What does the challenge do; what is it for? The button on the main page right after the analysis button.
Last edited by United Western States of America on Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
National Information
Coming soon
ن In Solidarity with Middle Eastern Christians ن
Proud member and founder of The Other Reality
Interested in a RP-based region? Check us out here!
NS stats are guidlines and should not be taken as fact!

Wolfenia
Envoy

Founded: Mar 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Wolfenia » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:24 pm

Alleniana wrote:
2; if you mouse over, it shows the word,

Yes it does, but that doesn't make it good.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical