NATION

PASSWORD

Nation Rankings

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Klaus Devestatorie
Minister

Founded: Aug 28, 2008
Capitalizt

Nation Rankings

Postby Klaus Devestatorie » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:17 am

Your playing the same 4-5 ways to rank nations over and over. This is the 3rd time this month we've been ranked on nudity. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fix it. It's not RANDOM, theres clearly interference from bad coding or human intervention. PLEASE EXPLAIN AND FIX...

TannerFrankLand
Envoy

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Nation Rankings

Postby TannerFrankLand » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:23 am

Wouldn't it seem less random if things didn't repeat sometimes? I mean if everything was spread perfectly even, it's not random.
WA Security Council:
SC #3 ~ Condemn Nazi Europe [SORRY!]
SC #12 ~ Commend Todd McCloud
SC #18 ~ Commend Sedgistan
SC #27 ~ Condemn Unknown
SC #36 ~ Liberate Eastern Europe
SC #51 ~ Commend Fudgetopia
SC #67 ~ Commend Naivetry
SC #71 ~ Repeal Condemn Unknown.
WA General Assembly:
GA #81 ~ Disaster Preparedness Act
GA #105 ~ Preparing For Disasters
GA #164 ~ Consular Rights
GA #278 ~ Repeal "Right to Privacy"
Security Council Fanatic
Delegate of St Abbaddon,
Member of the Council of State of Balder,
Former delegate of The South Pacific,
Topid

Klaus Devestatorie
Minister

Founded: Aug 28, 2008
Capitalizt

Postby Klaus Devestatorie » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:10 am

:palm:

okay lemme reword that :P

the nation rankings are cycling through the same couple of categories, and missing lots of em.

Personally, I would prefer all the different categories to be on a list, and then go down through the list in an orderly fashion.

TannerFrankLand
Envoy

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby TannerFrankLand » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:11 am

So you want it not to be random?

I don't really care, I never really look at them, but I don't see what's wrong with them as they are...
WA Security Council:
SC #3 ~ Condemn Nazi Europe [SORRY!]
SC #12 ~ Commend Todd McCloud
SC #18 ~ Commend Sedgistan
SC #27 ~ Condemn Unknown
SC #36 ~ Liberate Eastern Europe
SC #51 ~ Commend Fudgetopia
SC #67 ~ Commend Naivetry
SC #71 ~ Repeal Condemn Unknown.
WA General Assembly:
GA #81 ~ Disaster Preparedness Act
GA #105 ~ Preparing For Disasters
GA #164 ~ Consular Rights
GA #278 ~ Repeal "Right to Privacy"
Security Council Fanatic
Delegate of St Abbaddon,
Member of the Council of State of Balder,
Former delegate of The South Pacific,
Topid

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:59 am

But it's the first time ever that regions have been ranked on nudity! That's exciting!

New South Hell
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby New South Hell » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:23 am

Klaus Devestatorie wrote:Your playing the same 4-5 ways to rank nations over and over. This is the 3rd time this month we've been ranked on nudity. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fix it. It's not RANDOM, theres clearly interference from bad coding or human intervention. PLEASE EXPLAIN AND FIX...

The annoying repetition is in fact confirmation of the randomness of the choices.

The selection of the day's ranking is not unlike the choosing of an issue every day, and they repeat too. For more than you ever wanted to know about issue repetition and why it occurs, see the following. Now, the mathematics of that all applies to ranking selection as well - the difference is that there are fewer different rankings than issues, so repetitions and clumps are more frequent.

You will also observe that that treatise proposes a "solution" to issue repetition, which is to say, a way to keep it random without having that annoying clumping behavior. The same principle would apply to the rankings, and could be coded if someone qualified to do so believed it would be good for the game. In fact, it's much simpler than the problem with the issues - you just don't pick a ranking you've seen in the last n days. My guess is that a small n like 7 or 10 would be enough to remove the annoyance factor - after 10 days, who is most naked in your region might be interesting again.

- nsh -

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:41 am

Ooh, I'd forgotten about that, NSH. I need to look at that again.

Mayor For Life
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 06, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Mayor For Life » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:02 am

[violet],

Perhaps you don't use it in issue repetition, but I did notice in the source code I could access on one NS page the use of Java's RANDOM - which is plenty random enough for a game. Or I should say most games. Sun itself says it isn't random enough to generate a secure password. I gotta cool visual website running Java's RANDOM to show ya if you TG me.

My point: I chime in with admitted buddy New South Hell. I applaud any effort to add issues and am thrilled Sirocco has a thread here to do that. But the repetition of certain random events - Featured Region, World (and Region) Census, and Issues is prone to a problem with "random."
:palm:

Even true randomness creates bubbles and clumps as the nation that started this thread pointed out. As much as I am fond of my choice to dangle, it gets old if trotted out twice a week. Random things don't create even distributions except in extremely long data sets. The fix, I humbly suggest, is to put in (a perhaps non-trivial) subroutine that asks "haz X been foisted upon this nation/region/NS world in last 30 or 60 days?" and if answer is Y, run RANDOM again.

Mayor for Life
Founder of Ulthar

Fatatatutti
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 02, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Fatatatutti » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:11 am

We like to keep abreast of nudity issues. Please reveal the nudity rankings every day.

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

Founded: Mar 31, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:12 am

Mayor For Life wrote:Perhaps you don't use it in issue repetition, but I did notice in the source code I could access on one NS page the use of Java's RANDOM -

Wait...

There is Java in my NationStates?? The horror!!!
To Serve and Protect: UDL

Eluvatar - Taijitu member

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:22 pm

Wait...

There is Java in my NationStates?? The horror!!!

I think the game is coded in Perl, the random code might be something done by Google's ads.
Last edited by Unibot on Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:32 pm

Thanks to New South Hell's excellent essay on issue repetition, I finally got around to addressing that. So starting next update, nations are less likely to receive new issues that they have already seen recently.

Caveat: this will take some time to become noticeable on older nations, i.e. those who have already answered most issues multiple times. Each nation file contains a list of its past issues, and we are now using the ordering of that list to favor issues toward the beginning of it, with issues popped onto the end each time they come up. Presently, though, list order reflects when a nation first encountered each issue, not when it last did, and in older nations those two things will not be the same.

None of this affects the actual thread topic, i.e. repetition of World Census reports.
Last edited by [violet] on Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tanaara
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Tanaara » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:47 pm

Violet, I am going to ask a question that I am pretty sure has been asked before, but upon reading above, I'm curious.

Each nation file contains a list of its past issues

I don't supposed it would be possible to get a copy of my nations file?
The mathematical probability of a common cat doing exactly as it pleases is the one scientific absolute in the world. -Lynn M. Osband

"We're not so blase, not so willing to accept that we're safe and we can let someone do our security for us. We're not going to sit there and wait for somebody else to do it because if you wait, it might be too late." Jennifer Allen re: Northwest Airlines Flight 253 - quoted for the Win!

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:23 pm

Sorry, no.

New South Hell
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby New South Hell » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:18 am

[violet] wrote:Thanks to New South Hell's excellent essay on issue repetition, I finally got around to addressing that. So starting next update, nations are less likely to receive new issues that they have already seen recently.

Caveat: this will take some time to become noticeable on older nations, i.e. those who have already answered most issues multiple times. Each nation file contains a list of its past issues, and we are now using the ordering of that list to favor issues toward the beginning of it, with issues popped onto the end each time they come up. Presently, though, list order reflects when a nation first encountered each issue, not when it last did, and in older nations those two things will not be the same.

Thank you, Milady! An elegant solution. And one I might have suggested myself, if only I had known that said list existed.

:clap:

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:39 am

One thing that I've noticed is that the randomiser fairly often seems to give a number of my puppets the same issues on the same days...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Mayor For Life
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 06, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Mayor For Life » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:58 am

Thank you [violet]!

Mayor for Life
Founder of Ulthar

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical