NATION

PASSWORD

[Brainstorm]Windows Phone App

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
The Grand Legion
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 18, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

[Brainstorm]Windows Phone App

Postby The Grand Legion » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:20 pm

I want to know if anyone would be interested in a Windows phone app of NS and what they would like to see in it.

All input is welcome.

The Grand Legion
Bureaucrat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand Legion » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:43 pm

So I tried to download Visual Studio 2013 Express for Windows which is the version needed to create Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 Apps and it's not installing it stays stuck at creating a system restore point and I have VS2013 Express for Desktop and VS2013 Express for Web installed and those ones installed just fine without any problem. So if anyone knows what could be causing the problem please let me know.
Last edited by The Grand Legion on Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elke and Elba
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:46 pm

I'm not sure if there's the need.

In WP I can use NS perfectly fine both in Mobile view and in Desktop view.

Plus, I believe Mobile view actually puts the sidebar as a dropdown that you can click to access the functions so I don't believe an app would enhance the experience any further.

This doesn't have the intention to put your project on a dampener though... Good luck! :)
Represented permanently at the World Assembly by Benjamin Olafsen, and on an ad-hoc basis by Alethea Norrland and rarely Gaia Pao and Gabriel Dzichpol.
OOCly retired from the GA/SC for something called 'real life'.
Author of GA#288 and SC#148.
Ratateague wrote:NationStates seems to hate the Geneva Convention. I've lost count in how many times someone has tried to introduce something like it. Why they don't like it is a mystery to me. Probably a lot of jingoist wingnuts.
Ardchoille wrote:When you consider that (violet) once changed the colour of the whole game for one player ... you can understand how seriously NS takes its players.

Glorious ReBublic of Alevstan
Minister

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious ReBublic of Alevstan » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:48 pm

Yup. About half of my posts are on mobile, they even have a mobile layout. But BBCode formatting can be a nightmare.
Sorry for the spelling mistake in my name.
ICly, I am the Vilats Union | IIWiki

Join Atlas!
You can call me Alev.
Neutral Good
QUOTES
Kouralia wrote:You're in a man of war. Screw 'main efforts' and 'objectives'; sail around and look like a badass mother-fucker and sing sea shanties.

Elke and Elba
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:03 pm

Glorious Rebublic of Alevstan wrote:Yup. About half of my posts are on mobile, they even have a mobile layout. But BBCode formatting can be a nightmare.

That's more of the keyboard restraints (for me).

Interestingly now the "quote another post" on top of quote-post is working far more fine on my phone than it used to!
Represented permanently at the World Assembly by Benjamin Olafsen, and on an ad-hoc basis by Alethea Norrland and rarely Gaia Pao and Gabriel Dzichpol.
OOCly retired from the GA/SC for something called 'real life'.
Author of GA#288 and SC#148.
Ratateague wrote:NationStates seems to hate the Geneva Convention. I've lost count in how many times someone has tried to introduce something like it. Why they don't like it is a mystery to me. Probably a lot of jingoist wingnuts.
Ardchoille wrote:When you consider that (violet) once changed the colour of the whole game for one player ... you can understand how seriously NS takes its players.

The Grand Legion
Bureaucrat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand Legion » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:08 pm

I was thinking it would be more for easy access and I would try to incorporate the live tile feature of WP so people would know if there was a new issue or a new post on the forum

Riftend
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Riftend » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:32 pm

I'm an IOS person but I find the mobile theme to be fine. Only problem is quieting and suppressing posts...constantly inadvertently suppressing peoples posts when I wanna quote them
About Me
True Neutral
Economic Left/Right: 1.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82
Prophet of
The
Coalition of Freedom

Freedom is not a right - but a privilege provided through citizenship
------------------------------Raider------------------------------
| CoF Foreign Relations | Riftend's Factbook | CoF Overview |

Wind in the Willows
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wind in the Willows » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:45 pm

I find the mobile theme sufficient.

The Grand Legion
Bureaucrat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand Legion » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:48 pm

I may just make something for ease of access and updates, but having an app on Windows 8 would be pretty cool to have even if it's not on WP

Nullarni
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 26, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Nullarni » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:23 pm

Honestly, go for it. Just make it and release it. I am sure you will find a user base if it is halfway decent. I mean, look at NS++. A year and a half ago I am sure people scoffed at the idea of using an NS browser extension, but now it is the #1 unofficial utility associated with NS.

Build it and they will come. ;)
Proud founder of the NEW WARSAW PACT. Visitors welcome.

The Grand Legion
Bureaucrat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand Legion » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:32 pm

Nullarni wrote:Honestly, go for it. Just make it and release it. I am sure you will find a user base if it is halfway decent. I mean, look at NS++. A year and a half ago I am sure people scoffed at the idea of using an NS browser extension, but now it is the #1 unofficial utility associated with NS.

Build it and they will come. ;)

Nice Field of Dreams reference, I may make it, if I can get Visual Studio for Windows 2013 Express to install

The Grand Legion
Bureaucrat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand Legion » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:22 pm

So it finally downloaded and i'm drawing a blank on how to call the api in C#, is the NS api a webservice api or a managed api or do I have to download an additional library in order for C# to handle api's

Syndication
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Syndication » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:01 pm

I just use the mobile theme and Tapatalk for the forum to get by when I need to.
Hello there. I'm a puppet nation. :)
This is how you own a topic that sucks.
46 Times Captain Janeway Was Outta Control Sassy
What do you need?

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:45 pm

I find IE Mobile to be more than enough for navigating NS. I don't really see the utility in an app.
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:04 pm

Riftend wrote:Only problem is quieting and suppressing posts...constantly inadvertently suppressing peoples posts when I wanna quote them

I spaced out the buttons a little more in Mobile theme.
Last edited by [violet] on Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Riftend
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Riftend » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:53 am

[violet] wrote:
Riftend wrote:Only problem is quieting and suppressing posts...constantly inadvertently suppressing peoples posts when I wanna quote them

I spaced out the buttons a little more in Mobile theme.

Thanks Violet :bow:
About Me
True Neutral
Economic Left/Right: 1.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82
Prophet of
The
Coalition of Freedom

Freedom is not a right - but a privilege provided through citizenship
------------------------------Raider------------------------------
| CoF Foreign Relations | Riftend's Factbook | CoF Overview |

NoblePhnx
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby NoblePhnx » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:21 am

I very much encourage a Windows Phone app(one of the few who has and loves Lumia).
Original Ego of Revall Silverstorm
★Lord Noblephnx of The Eternal Knights

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical