NATION

PASSWORD

Undo Mark Topics Read

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Alleniana
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 23, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Undo Mark Topics Read

Postby Alleniana » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:07 am

I was browsing P2TM when I accidentally hit the "Mark Topics Read" button. Being very active on the forum and not wanting to have it all derped up like that, I'd like to ask if there's any way to undo it? I've done it before, and while it's not the biggest nuisance, it's certainly up there. If I'm missing something and it's in a guide or something, sorry about that.

As a sidenote; why is it there anyway? it seems a little pointless to me, now that all forums have, what, tens of thousands of posts at the very leasT?

Steel Union
Secretary

Founded: Feb 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Steel Union » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:46 am

As far as I'm aware, with phpbb the only way to undo that action requires admins mucking about in the forum SQL tables. Obviously I can't speak for them, but I'd guess that's not something they're likely to do.

Also, at least personally, I don't care about 9,990 of the 10,000 posts in some of the forums. So the ability to blanket mark them read so that it's obvious when new posts turn up in the forum is quite useful.
Factbook || DeviantArt || NSBalls || FT IRC || April 27, 2005 · 1967 posts
The Terran Confederacy of the Steel Union
For all our failings, despite our limitations and fallibilities, we humans are capable of greatness. ” - Carl Sagan

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:51 am

Steel Union wrote:As far as I'm aware, with phpbb the only way to undo that action requires admins mucking about in the forum SQL tables. Obviously I can't speak for them, but I'd guess that's not something they're likely to do.

They're not. I once altered SQL tables together with Ballotonia because of the 2^24 post limit until Salusa came around and took over. And we double checked every statement before executing it. Chances for something to go wrong is quite high, and this problem is relatively small, so the effort and risk are not worth it.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Return to Technical