NATION

PASSWORD

NSWiki.org - successor to NSWiki.net

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
User avatar
Shadow Afforess
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1270
Founded: Nov 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

NSWiki.org - successor to NSWiki.net

Postby Shadow Afforess » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:28 pm

NSWiki.org, the NationStates Encyclopedia.


NSWiki.net is dead folks. It had a great run. It was destroyed by lack of interest in its admins and an overwhelming volume of spam. I have restored a 2008 backup of the previous NSWiki.net and it is available at http://archive.nswiki.org. Some newer content may be added if it can be restored.

What is NSWiki.org?
NSWiki.org is the successor to the previous NSWiki, hosted and maintained by Afforess, with assistance from Jenlom.

What content is suitable for NSWiki?
Any content related to NationStates, and is suitable for a PG-13 audience. Illegal content and adult material will result in an immediate ban.

What improvements have been made over the previous NSWiki?
  • New Management, NSWiki.org is run by the same developer as the popular NationStates++ extension
  • NSWiki.org restricts logins and signups to NationStates.net nations only. Automated spam bots and other malicious users will not be able to cheat the signup system and damage the wiki.
  • NSWiki has a large number of templates and Mediawiki Extensions.
  • NSWiki features an automated service that generates basic templates with information for all regions, and keeps basic stats up to date, every day.
  • Faster hardware - NSWiki.org runs on a server with a SSD.
  • Offsite backups & public access to download full database backups.

Enjoy: http://nswiki.org
Last edited by Shadow Afforess on Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

User avatar
The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17727
Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:56 pm

It's too bad we can't import the old NSwiki onto the New NSwiki.

User avatar
Shadow Afforess
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1270
Founded: Nov 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadow Afforess » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:00 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:It's too bad we can't import the old NSwiki onto the New NSwiki.

I've contacted the previous NSwiki.net admin via every email account he has, plus through third parties and received no response for 4 weeks. You can use archive.org to recover some of the content, but it's not all there.
Last edited by Shadow Afforess on Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

User avatar
Saugeais
Minister
 
Posts: 3387
Founded: Jul 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Saugeais » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:10 pm

Well that's a pisser. I can't believe Goober or Paci never once returned messages. If they knew they were not going to be active, they should've passed the buck on to someone else to keep it alive.
The Republic of Saugeais : newswire
Founder of the AIBC
Co-host, World Cup 65
Co-host, World Cup 60 | Co-host, 47th Cup of Harmony | Co-host, Baptism of Fire 50
Hosted: 9th Winter Olympics, Copa Rushmori XV,
19th Rugby Union World Cup, Di Bradini Cup 27
Copa Rushmori VII, World Baseball Classic 21,
9th Rugby League World Cup, Market Cup 3
1st Place: Copa Rushmori 16, Cup of Harmony 58, NSCAA 4
2nd Place: World Baseball Classic 19 & 22, Gaelic Football WC 4,
Di Bradini Cup 23, CoH 54, T20 Cricket Championships 3, Rugby LWC 14
3rd Place: Copa Rushmori 5, 14, 15 & 17, Market Cup 3, RLWC 10
4th Place: DBC 15, WBC 24

User avatar
Shadow Afforess
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1270
Founded: Nov 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadow Afforess » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:13 pm

Saugeais wrote:Well that's a pisser. I can't believe Goober or Paci never once returned messages. If they knew they were not going to be active, they should've passed the buck on to someone else to keep it alive.


I sent 3 separate emails, including to the listed owners of the nswiki.net domain and Goober's personal domain. I asked Tim to contact Goober via Facebook. I've done everything short of smoke signals.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

User avatar
The Dark Star Republic
Senator
 
Posts: 4339
Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:15 am

As a former NSwiki sysop, I'd like to say that I find this a very encouraging project, Afforess, and good luck. :) It's a shame NSwiki died, but unfortunately your point about a lack of interest/activity from the site's admin is true.

Once it's up, I'd be happy to help build some templates and infoboxes.

User avatar
Tiberian Destiny
Secretary
 
Posts: 40
Founded: Apr 13, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiberian Destiny » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:02 pm

Well, if the database is still there, I wouldn't consider the things on NSWIKI "lost". IS the database still there? When and by whom was this ridiculous "NSwiki is down for maintenance!" message posted?

EDIT:
Ohai! Gigablast has several cached pages from NSWiki! Propably not all of them, but it's something at least! Happy copying!
Last edited by Tiberian Destiny on Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Shadow Afforess
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1270
Founded: Nov 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadow Afforess » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:08 pm

Tiberian Destiny wrote:Well, if the database is still there, I wouldn't consider the things on NSWIKI "lost". IS the database still there?


There is no way to tell. There has been zero communication by the site admin. I am assuming the worst.

Tiberian Destiny wrote:When and by whom was this ridiculous "NSwiki is down for maintenance!" message posted?


It was posted several months back, sometime in November 2013.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

User avatar
Zero-One
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 154
Founded: Antiquity
Capitalizt

Postby Zero-One » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:12 pm

Not on your life.

User avatar
Renaldi
Secretary
 
Posts: 33
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Renaldi » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:13 pm

There's also other Wiki projects up and running, and have been for a while, that are developed and participated in by a number of players. But given how Factbooks and Dispatches work on here, is there really a reason to have a Wiki these days? Part of the problem before was having to scroll through the forum, but that's a non-issue now.

User avatar
Shadow Afforess
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1270
Founded: Nov 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadow Afforess » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:18 pm

Zero-One wrote:Not on your life.

Excuse me? I am not sure I understand.

Renaldi wrote:There's also other Wiki projects up and running, and have been for a while, that are developed and participated in by a number of players. But given how Factbooks and Dispatches work on here, is there really a reason to have a Wiki these days? Part of the problem before was having to scroll through the forum, but that's a non-issue now.

Most are inactive or not well known. Factbooks and Dispatches have character limits, do not allow other people to edit, and aren't as flexible, so I am sure there is still demand.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

User avatar
Starkiller101
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5300
Founded: Dec 11, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Starkiller101 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:22 pm

IF we get this I will contribute to it.
Real Name: Chris or Christopher pick whichever you want.

User avatar
Tiberian Destiny
Secretary
 
Posts: 40
Founded: Apr 13, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiberian Destiny » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:24 pm

That's a valid point really, but my main issue is getting those articles back. I'm not likely going to trust another wiki project with my data again because it just keeps happening that admins loose their temper or interest over too much spamming/too little user contribution/name-it and the site shuts down amidst much whining and teeth-grinding. I've just seen it happen to another wiki project too. It's not that hard to keep a site up in a way that the data is accessible at least, I'm not sure why so few admins manage to just get over themselves to do that.
/rant

I am aware that I should have made backups somewhere else and yada yada, but, well, I did not (seeing how I started writing on there when I was like 15 or 16), so that has really become an issue for me now.
I'd even pay for that data, if only there was a way to make contact.

EDIT: I lie. I'd trust a wiki project that I'm an admin for, and contribute to paying for.
Last edited by Tiberian Destiny on Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Shadow Afforess
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1270
Founded: Nov 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadow Afforess » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:48 pm

Starkiller101 wrote:IF we get this I will contribute to it.

The site is up and works. You can use it now if you like. The official opening will be in the next week.

Tiberian Destiny wrote:That's a valid point really, but my main issue is getting those articles back. I'm not likely going to trust another wiki project with my data again because it just keeps happening that admins loose their temper or interest over too much spamming/too little user contribution/name-it and the site shuts down amidst much whining and teeth-grinding. I've just seen it happen to another wiki project too. It's not that hard to keep a site up in a way that the data is accessible at least, I'm not sure why so few admins manage to just get over themselves to do that.
/rant


I definitely understand - I am not sure I would want to trust another project too. What if I set up a weekly copy of my wiki database, uploaded to a third party site, so if I die/disappear, you can grab the content and someone can restore it?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

User avatar
Tiberian Destiny
Secretary
 
Posts: 40
Founded: Apr 13, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiberian Destiny » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:51 pm

Shadow Afforess wrote:I definitely understand - I am not sure I would want to trust another project too. What if I set up a weekly copy of my wiki database, uploaded to a third party site, so if I die/disappear, you can grab the content and someone can restore it?


I really like that idea. It should be automated however, because once interest is lost, routines like that break down quickly.

User avatar
Renaldi
Secretary
 
Posts: 33
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Renaldi » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:59 pm

Actually, the fact that others can't edit your stuff here provides more peace of mind. There was always too many issues with page vandalism and arguments over minutae and forcing one to spend more time protecting one's page than simply developing it. Which already was and remains somewhat time-consuming. Along with the 'other people running and controlling it', in spite of assurances that it will all be ok.

And no, those other options aren't inactive. I know of several up, running, and have been for some time. Not that anyone can't start up something like this, but in argument for on-site use, at least everyone's /can/ be all in one place. Not so with a handful of sites by different orgs and forums and users.

User avatar
Tiberian Destiny
Secretary
 
Posts: 40
Founded: Apr 13, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiberian Destiny » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:04 pm

Has... anyone done the obvious and contacted Pacitalia in-game yet?
Last edited by Tiberian Destiny on Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Zero-One
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 154
Founded: Antiquity
Capitalizt

Postby Zero-One » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:11 pm

Yes, let's just write more articles and put them on another third-party site which will die the death when the third party loses interest... or put them here, where if the site dies the death it sort of all becomes moot anyway.

And given your lackadaisical attitude towards data security... not on your life.

User avatar
Carto-Geography
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 130
Founded: Dec 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Carto-Geography » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:12 pm

Shadow Afforess wrote:
Saugeais wrote:Well that's a pisser. I can't believe Goober or Paci never once returned messages. If they knew they were not going to be active, they should've passed the buck on to someone else to keep it alive.


I sent 3 separate emails, including to the listed owners of the nswiki.net domain and Goober's personal domain. I asked Tim to contact Goober via Facebook. I've done everything short of smoke signals.

Well, then there's only one thing to do.

SMOKE SIGNALS!

Just remember to use the green wood. :)
Our father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

User avatar
Shadow Afforess
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1270
Founded: Nov 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadow Afforess » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:18 pm

Tiberian Destiny wrote:
Shadow Afforess wrote:I definitely understand - I am not sure I would want to trust another project too. What if I set up a weekly copy of my wiki database, uploaded to a third party site, so if I die/disappear, you can grab the content and someone can restore it?


I really like that idea. It should be automated however, because once interest is lost, routines like that break down quickly.


Obviously, yes. I am much too lazy to want to do that on a weekly basis. I would set up a script to automate it.

Renaldi wrote:Actually, the fact that others can't edit your stuff here provides more peace of mind. There was always too many issues with page vandalism and arguments over minutae and forcing one to spend more time protecting one's page than simply developing it. Which already was and remains somewhat time-consuming. Along with the 'other people running and controlling it', in spite of assurances that it will all be ok.

Ok, so you don't want a wiki. Why are you posting in this thread then? Go wander off and use your factbooks...

Zero-One wrote:Yes, let's just write more articles and put them on another third-party site which will die the death when the third party loses interest... or put them here, where if the site dies the death it sort of all becomes moot anyway.


Well I've been on NS since 2009 without losing interest, so there is that. But see my promise above to create weekly copies of the database for public download.

Zero-One wrote:And given your lackadaisical attitude towards data security... not on your life.

Yes, because clearly you have to be a perfect person to do good things. I clearly should just give up now and find a shallow grave.

Tiberian Destiny wrote:Has... anyone done the obvious and contacted Pacitalia in-game yet?

Was Pacitalia a NSWiki.net admin? I can't see the admin list...since you know, NSwiki.net is gone.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

User avatar
Tiberian Destiny
Secretary
 
Posts: 40
Founded: Apr 13, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiberian Destiny » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:23 pm

Zero-One wrote:Yes, let's just write more articles and put them on another third-party site which will die the death when the third party loses interest... or put them here, where if the site dies the death it sort of all becomes moot anyway.


Well there are commercial sites that you can rely on to be up for another decade, or at least give you solid clues on whether they are going to shut down soon, unlike private projects run by a single person, or maybe two. If things were saved, for example, on wikia.com, I'd think they'd be somewhat safe, even in complete absence of admins. Buried under spam, maybe (I'm not sure how good their defense is), but the data would be there.

EDIT:
Pacitalia was "bureaucrat" at NSWIKI.
Here is his NSWiki user page, retrieved from Gigablast cache:
https://www.gigablast.com/get?q=NSWIKI&qlang=en_US&c=main&d=85495889227&cnsp=0
Last edited by Tiberian Destiny on Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Shadow Afforess
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1270
Founded: Nov 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadow Afforess » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:28 pm

Tiberian Destiny wrote:EDIT:
Pacitalia was "bureaucrat" at NSWIKI.
Here is his NSWiki user page, retrieved from Gigablast cache:
https://www.gigablast.com/get?q=NSWIKI&qlang=en_US&c=main&d=85495889227&cnsp=0

Thanks, telegram sent. I'll keep trying to acquire the data.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

User avatar
Tiberian Destiny
Secretary
 
Posts: 40
Founded: Apr 13, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiberian Destiny » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:40 pm

Shadow Afforess wrote:
Tiberian Destiny wrote:EDIT:
Pacitalia was "bureaucrat" at NSWIKI.
Here is his NSWiki user page, retrieved from Gigablast cache:
https://www.gigablast.com/get?q=NSWIKI&qlang=en_US&c=main&d=85495889227&cnsp=0

Thanks, telegram sent. I'll keep trying to acquire the data.


Even though I'm reasonably doubtful about this working and somewhat bitter about losing my writing, I do greatly appreciate your effort to organize this. I'll keep checking this thread for news.

User avatar
Renaldi
Secretary
 
Posts: 33
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Renaldi » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:44 pm

Actually, I was curious as to why the push lately, given the changes that have long been in place on site. Your passive-aggressive attitude certainly doesn't encourage buying into it, thanks all the same. I was hoping you'd offer something /better/ as opposed to just getting pissy with anyone who wasn't all gung-ho.

That said, now that other points have been brought up, I'm starting to agree handing you even more nation information might not be in /my/ best interests at least. Other player's mileage may vary. I think we've got enough concerns with real life security and Big Brother watching over all. I don't particularly feel the need to opt into it in my game life too.

Best of luck with it. I'ma pass.

User avatar
Shadow Afforess
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1270
Founded: Nov 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadow Afforess » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:49 pm

Renaldi wrote:Actually, I was curious as to why the push lately, given the changes that have long been in place on site.


Because NSWiki has been down for far too long. I actually started trying to find word about NSWiki and bought the domain over a month ago. Some of us prefer wiki's to factbooks.
Renaldi wrote:Your passive-aggressive attitude certainly doesn't encourage buying into it, thanks all the same. I was hoping you'd offer something /better/ as opposed to just getting pissy with anyone who wasn't all gung-ho.

I prefer my passive-aggressive tone to your aggressive tone any day. If you're not part of the solution and helping out, you're part of the problem. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. :clap:
Last edited by Shadow Afforess on Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Flanderlion

Advertisement

Remove ads