NATION

PASSWORD

Forum outage resolved

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:53 am

Usual People In Life wrote:Sorry, I'm confused.

how exactly can a forum 'run out of posts'????

I thought that a forum would be designed to take as many posts as the servers could store?

Every post is assigned a number. Our numbers were 24 bits long. So when we ran out of posts, what happened was that the database tried to assign a number to a post, that was longer than 24 bits. Which was not possible.

Now we've upgraded our post numbers to 32 bits and we're safe for a long time.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:28 am

I thought that a forum would be designed to take as many posts as the servers could store?

Just like internet ran out of IP addresses a while back. Everything posted needs a number (or in internet's case every device needed a IP address), you run out of that and you can't post any more.

The Blaatschapen wrote:Every post is assigned a number. Our numbers were 24 bits long. So when we ran out of posts, what happened was that the database tried to assign a number to a post, that was longer than 24 bits. Which was not possible.

Not if NS grows exponentially with no asymptote. You will run out in another four(ish) years... :p
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:43 am

Great Nepal wrote:

Just like internet ran out of IP addresses a while back. Everything posted needs a number (or in internet's case every device needed a IP address), you run out of that and you can't post any more.

The Blaatschapen wrote:Every post is assigned a number. Our numbers were 24 bits long. So when we ran out of posts, what happened was that the database tried to assign a number to a post, that was longer than 24 bits. Which was not possible.

Not if NS grows exponentially with no asymptote. You will run out in another four(ish) years... :p

It doesn't. It hasn't done that in years.

Why do people keep bringing that up? :palm:
The Blaatschapen should resign

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:45 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:It doesn't. It hasn't done that in years.
Why do people keep bringing that up? :palm:

Because we want to cause panic among people who didn't read mods previous post?
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hajuche
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Hajuche » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:46 am

That explains why this was so bloody annoying.
-=-<[H A J U C H E]>-=-

The Dagaazhi of Hajuche
An alt of The IASM

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:44 pm

Just to put things in perspective for you. The largest 24 bit number is 224-1 or 16'777'215. By comparison the largest 32 bit number is 232 - 1 or 4'294'967'295. The latter is 256 times larger than the former. I think we are safe for a few years to come.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Previous

Return to Technical