NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates++ | Extension for NationStates

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Abatael
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Abatael » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:49 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:
Abatael wrote:
I did that already. Nothing happened.

Not even scrolling down to see the RMB?

I scroll down to see the RMB each time.

I installed it and checked the RMB; it stayed the same. I refreshed the page and checked the RMB; it stayed the same. I disabled it and re-enabled it and checked the RMB; it stayed the same. I restarted Firefox and checked the RMB; it stayed the same. I disabled it, restarted Firefox and re-enabled it and checked the RMB; it stayed the same.
IMPERIVM·NOVVM·VENOLIÆ.
PAX·PER·BELLVM.
ROMVLVS·AVRELIVS·SECVNDVS.
DEVS·VENOLIAM·BENEDICAT.

Second Best Factbook (UNDERGOING MAJOR REVISIONS)| Factbook Rankings | Embassy Program

Afforess
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Afforess » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:51 pm

Abatael wrote:
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Yes.

Okay. I just did that now. Nothing changed.

Firefox, right? Here is how you can give me the info I need to see any issues:

1. Click the Firefox main menu icon in the top right
  2. Select "Web Developer"
  3. Inside the "Web Developer" menu, select "Web console"
  4. A console window should appear at the bottom of your page.
  5. Make sure the "Net", "CSS", "JS" and "Logging" buttons are all enabled
  6. Refresh the regional message board page
  7. Select any line of text in the console, then press CONTROL-A
  8. Press Control-C
  9. Open notepad or a similar text editor, paste
  10. Save the notepad file, upload it as an attachment.
Minister of the Interior, Capitalist Paradise

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Abatael
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Abatael » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:54 pm

Afforess wrote:
Abatael wrote:
Okay. I just did that now. Nothing changed.

Firefox, right? Here is how you can give me the info I need to see any issues:

1. Click the Firefox main menu icon in the top right
  2. Select "Web Developer"
  3. Inside the "Web Developer" menu, select "Web console"
  4. A console window should appear at the bottom of your page.
  5. Make sure the "Net", "CSS", "JS" and "Logging" buttons are all enabled
  6. Refresh the regional message board page
  7. Select any line of text in the console, then press CONTROL-A
  8. Press Control-C
  9. Open notepad or a similar text editor, paste
  10. Save the notepad file, upload it as an attachment.

I upload it as an attachment here?
IMPERIVM·NOVVM·VENOLIÆ.
PAX·PER·BELLVM.
DEVS·VENOLIAM·BENEDICAT.

Second Best Factbook (UNDERGOING MAJOR REVISIONS)| Factbook Rankings | Embassy Program

Afforess
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Afforess » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:56 pm

Abatael wrote:I upload it as an attachment here?

Anywhere that I can download it from. Here, Dropbox, Mediafire, whereever.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Abatael
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Abatael » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:59 pm

Afforess wrote:
Abatael wrote:I upload it as an attachment here?

Anywhere that I can download it from. Here, Dropbox, Mediafire, whereever.

I don't know what any of those are or how to use them.
IMPERIVM·NOVVM·VENOLIÆ.
PAX·PER·BELLVM.
DEVS·VENOLIAM·BENEDICAT.

Afforess
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Afforess » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:00 pm

Abatael wrote:
Afforess wrote:Anywhere that I can download it from. Here, Dropbox, Mediafire, whereever.

I don't know what any of those are or how to use them.

Filesharing sites... Are you from the past? Is Google not a thing to you?

Abatael
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Abatael » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:02 pm

I don't know what filesharing sites are. I don't know what filesharing is. I know what Google is, but I'm not going to look any of those up because I don't care that much. I'm probably just going to go without.
IMPERIVM·NOVVM·VENOLIÆ.
PAX·PER·BELLVM.
DEVS·VENOLIAM·BENEDICAT.

Afforess
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Afforess » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:08 pm

Abatael wrote:I don't know what filesharing is.

Filesharing. It's in the name... file sharing is ...sharing of files. Copying them from one computer to another.
Abatael wrote:I don't know what filesharing sites are.

A place where you can upload files to.

Abatael wrote:I know what Google is, but I'm not going to look any of those up because I don't care that much. I'm probably just going to go without.

If you can't be bothered to get the information I need, I can't be bothered to help you. This is like computer 101 stuff most 13 year olds know. Sorry, I can't be more helpful.
Last edited by Afforess on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Abatael
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Abatael » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:17 pm

Afforess wrote:
Abatael wrote:I don't know what filesharing is.

Filesharing. It's in the name... file sharing is ...sharing of files. Copying them from one computer to another.
Abatael wrote:I don't know what filesharing sites are.

A place where you can upload files to.

Abatael wrote:I know what Google is, but I'm not going to look any of those up because I don't care that much. I'm probably just going to go without.

If you can't be bothered to get the information I need, I can't be bothered to help you. This is like computer 101 stuff most 13 year olds know. Sorry, I can't be more helpful.

I don't do this computer crap so don't expect me to know anything about it. And I was 13 two years ago, never heard of any of this filesharing or any of that nor did any of my friends. And even now I don't know anyone who knows what this is in real life.

And, as I said, I'll probably just go without.
IMPERIVM·NOVVM·VENOLIÆ.
PAX·PER·BELLVM.
DEVS·VENOLIAM·BENEDICAT.

Afforess
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Afforess » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:22 pm

I've been toying with the idea of adding the ability to "rate" RMB posts and forum posts. What I mean is something like this on every post:

The obvious issue is that only other people with the extension can see it or rate posts. I could write up a system to telegram the user the rating if they weren't using the extension...but I don't know. I'm not sure if many people would like it, use it, or find it too intrusive. Thoughts?

TaQud
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:23 pm

Afforess wrote:I've been toying with the idea of adding the ability to "rate" RMB posts and forum posts. What I mean is something like this on every post:

(Image)

The obvious issue is that only other people with the extension can see it or rate posts. I could write up a system to telegram the user the rating if they weren't using the extension...but I don't know. I'm not sure if many people would like it, use it, or find it too intrusive. Thoughts?

not bad an idea Affo.....

(would you be able to like a post like how you like a facebook comment?)
CENTRIST Economic Left/Right: 0.62 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46
List Your Sexuality, nickname(s), NSG Family and Friends, your NS Boyfriend or Girlfriend, gender, favorite quotes and anything else that shows your ego here.
(Because I couldn't live without knowing who was part of NSG Family or what your nickname was. I was panicking for days! I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep I was so worried that I'd would never know and have to live without knowing this! /sarcasm)
2013 Best signature Award

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:24 pm

Afforess wrote:I could write up a system to telegram the user the rating if they weren't using the extension

Hate hate hate. Add it to the extension if you like, but don't force it on people who choose not to use it. All this would be is a gigantic spam generator.

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:32 pm

Afforess wrote:I've been toying with the idea of adding the ability to "rate" RMB posts and forum posts. What I mean is something like this on every post:

(Image)

I'd be amused, but I would not want TGs regarding that. That would just clog up my inbox, and since I don't have a Postmaster General account (and am too poor to upgrade my box), I would deactivate the feature so fast.
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

TaQud
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:34 pm

Afforess wrote:The obvious issue is that only other people with the extension can see it or rate posts. I could write up a system to telegram the user the rating if they weren't using the extension...but I don't know.

why not send them an email to their Gmail or Email address (if they have one) instead?
CENTRIST Economic Left/Right: 0.62 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46
List Your Sexuality, nickname(s), NSG Family and Friends, your NS Boyfriend or Girlfriend, gender, favorite quotes and anything else that shows your ego here.
(Because I couldn't live without knowing who was part of NSG Family or what your nickname was. I was panicking for days! I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep I was so worried that I'd would never know and have to live without knowing this! /sarcasm)
2013 Best signature Award

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:35 pm

TaQud wrote:
Afforess wrote:The obvious issue is that only other people with the extension can see it or rate posts. I could write up a system to telegram the user the rating if they weren't using the extension...but I don't know.

why not send them an email to their Gmail or Email address (if they have one) instead?

Because even though I have the extension, I would find that equally as annoying. It's the reason why I don't subscribe to threads, I bookmark them instead: I get enough spam in my inbox.
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:37 pm

TaQud wrote:

Even worse idea. Some people don't want to be bombarded with spam emails OR telegrams. In any event, how would Afforess know what anyone's email address is unless they requested that as part of the extension settings? It's not a setting that players can see, and if you only send emails to extension users, it's pretty pointless.

Singpu
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Singpu » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:39 pm

Individuality-ness wrote:
TaQud wrote:why not send them an email to their Gmail or Email address (if they have one) instead?

Because even though I have the extension, I would find that equally as annoying. It's the reason why I don't subscribe to threads, I bookmark them instead: I get enough spam in my inbox.

That's where my subscription notifications go!
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?p=9230172#p9230172

Singpu wrote...
:o
Utceforp wrote:
Singpu wrote:Utceforp, can ezungal go ahead and go to girls? Also, sorry if my sleeping is off and reading noticeably, eye doctor dialatsted my eyes so...

I'm sorry, but I can't tell what you're saying...

Translation: utceforp, can ezungal go ahead and goto Farla? Also, sorry if my typing and reading is off noticeably, my eye doctor dialated my eyes, so...

http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?ns=1&f=23&t=338724

Liberal|Pro-Capitalism|Pro Homosexual Marriage|

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:40 pm

Singpu wrote:
Individuality-ness wrote:Because even though I have the extension, I would find that equally as annoying. It's the reason why I don't subscribe to threads, I bookmark them instead: I get enough spam in my inbox.

That's where my subscription notifications go!

Um, yeah, it's where they've always gone. >_>

Afforess
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Afforess » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:33 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Afforess wrote:I could write up a system to telegram the user the rating if they weren't using the extension

Hate hate hate. Add it to the extension if you like, but don't force it on people who choose not to use it. All this would be is a gigantic spam generator.

I wasn't thinking for every single one. I was thinking a weekly summary, with an unsubscribe option in the telegram. Not anything so spammy.

TaQud wrote:(would you be able to like a post like how you like a facebook comment?)

Yes, but with more flexibility. The ability to like, agree, disagree, informative, funny, etc.
Last edited by Afforess on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Afforess
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Afforess » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:02 pm

Okay, thanks for the feedback. I am going to try and implement this over the next weekend. I will make sure to make the telegrams very infrequent (once a week) and easy to unsubscribe from. I'm sure I'll get a reaction once it goes live.

Vladisvok Destino
Envoy

Founded: Aug 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vladisvok Destino » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:16 pm

Afforess wrote:Okay, thanks for the feedback. I am going to try and implement this over the next weekend. I will make sure to make the telegrams very infrequent (once a week) and easy to unsubscribe from. I'm sure I'll get a reaction once it goes live.

Or make it something that people can subscribe to if they're interested, personally if I started getting these TG's I'd be inclined report them to the mods for spam.

Edit: Can you confirm if these TG's would come from the nation Afforess? Then I can just block you in advance and save any confusion.
Last edited by Vladisvok Destino on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When plumbing the depths of depravity, I must remember to come up for air.

Afforess
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Afforess » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:20 pm

Vladisvok Destino wrote:
Afforess wrote:Okay, thanks for the feedback. I am going to try and implement this over the next weekend. I will make sure to make the telegrams very infrequent (once a week) and easy to unsubscribe from. I'm sure I'll get a reaction once it goes live.

Or make it something that people can subscribe to if they're interested, personally if I started getting these TG's I'd be inclined report them to the mods for spam.

That would be pointless - how would you know the ability to rate posts exists without already seeing this thread? The point is to telegram users that this feature exists, how people have rated them, and how they can see it and rate users too. If you have the extension already installed, I would never telegram you. The point is to advertise to non-users, silly.

Vladisvok Destino wrote:Edit: Can you confirm if these TG's would come from the nation Afforess? Then I can just block you in advance and save any confusion.

I haven't decided whether I would create a puppet or not. I will let you know for sure when someone has actually be coded.

Tlik
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tlik » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:19 pm

I think the more you add, the more overburdened this extension will be. Ultimately everything that you've added so far can already be seen or done by non-users. Anyone can manually search the page, anyone can read all of the posts if they really felt the need, anyone could copy-and-paste hyperlinks etc. This update would add something that is exclusively for the use of the extension-users, and as most of the people I talk to regularly on my RMB don't, afaik, have this extension, it's useless to me. Until you have a majority of people using this, it's going to be useless for a lot of people. Please don't make it a priority.

If I could raise the suggestion that something is more important, it would be a configuration page of some description. I don't know how hard it is in comparison, but it would improve the NS+ experience for a lot more people than adding smilies that can't be seen by most of our friends.
Last edited by Tlik on Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:30 pm

Vladisvok Destino wrote:
Afforess wrote: I will make sure to make the telegrams very infrequent (once a week) and easy to unsubscribe from. I'm sure I'll get a reaction once it goes live.

Sorry, I'm with Vlad on this one. An opt-out system will be seen as spam. You need to make it an opt-in system, or abandon the idea of telegram notification altogether.

Reploid Productions
Director of Moderation

Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby Reploid Productions » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:34 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Vladisvok Destino wrote:Or make it something that people can subscribe to if they're interested, personally if I started getting these TG's I'd be inclined report them to the mods for spam.

Sorry, I'm with Vlad on this one. An opt-out system will be seen as spam. You need to make it an opt-in system, or abandon the idea of telegram notification altogether.

Make that two senior game mods.
Forum mod since May 8, 2003 -- Game mod since May 19, 2003 -- Nation turned 20 on March 23, 2023!
Sunset's DoGA FAQ - For those using DoGA to make their NS military and such.
One Stop Rules Shop -- Reppy's Sig Workshop -- Getting Help Page
[violet] wrote:Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Char Aznable/Giant Meteor 2024! - Forcing humanity to move into space and progress whether we goddamn want to or not!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical