NATION

PASSWORD

Not a draft, but a thought...

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Kovasckitz
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Not a draft, but a thought...

Postby Kovasckitz » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:53 pm

As I am not endorsed by anyone I can not propose this as a draft, and thus it is not in that form, but please if someone thinks this is a good idea, bring it to a vote. I need no credit, just some relief.

I have noticed since the beggining of my time in Nationstates (which is, admittedly, not a time that is that far back) that after a resolution passes, there a good chances it will be brought up for a second vote in the form of a repeal. I am not sure if this is the norm, but the repeals themselves are often of poor construct and reason, something that they seem to love to critisize their intended target for as grounds for repeal (what are the mentioned 'loopholes' that are mentioned in the current reppeal that is up to vote, that were included in the previous resolution of the Preservation of Monuments, or something like that? I couldn't tell).

Now while I did not particularly support the resolution that is intended to be reppealed (and it certainly seems to be on the chopping block) I voted against the act to reppeal for the simple fact that it had already been decided upon very recently.

Not that I am discouraging the reppealing of of contested laws.

It's just that we need to have a restriction on when a reppeal can be brought to vote. Valuably time has been wasted in the WA for the simple inablility of people to accept what has happened, that a cause that they did not support has passed. My country hardly had time to begin thinking on how we would implement the new resolution before an attempt to strike it down was made.

So I propose that the WA has a waiting period of at least 2 weeks (not a huge amount of time, but once again, if a resolution is contested it should be reppealed) before a reppeal may be brought to vote on a passed resolution.

This would save valuble time for more constructive measures in the esteemed WA that I am proud to be a part of, and filter out the repeals that are only brouhgt to the eyes of the delegates in the heat of the moment.

There, I feel better now.

EDIT: Also, for those who disagree with the idea that I have brought up, a restriction could also be placed only upon the resolutions that passed by a healthy enough vote of 2/3 or the like. This would allow the more heavily contraversal subjects to still be brought up quickly.

Remember, this is not to restrict the democracy of this establishment, but to quicken democracy's pace to cover more ideas.
Last edited by Kovasckitz on Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NationStates - A schizophrenic tale of morality, love, passion, debate and left-wing insanity in the world. Watch the Nations of the world scrape to the top of the pile in an undying effort to not only control the rest of the world but piss it off one person at a time.

Long Spoiler
Skirtingboard wrote:I will destroy the invaders. Through interperative dance.

Buffett and Colbert wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Urcea wrote:Are you guys criticizing the messager or the message? As far as I'm concerned, the message itself is solid.

So is poop.

Unless you've one too many tacos.

98% of all internet users would cry if facebook would break down, if you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh then copy and paste this into your sig.

ಠ_ಠ

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:54 pm

OOC: Unfortunately, that would be a game mechanics effect, which is illegal per the WA rules for proposals.

The Most Glorious Hack
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 11, 2003
Anarchy

Postby The Most Glorious Hack » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:57 am

Dragged this over to Tech, where it's a better fit. Not likely to happen, but... enjoy.
Now the stars they are all angled wrong,
And the sun and the moon refuse to burn.
But I remember a message,
In a demon's hand:
"Dread the passage of Jesus, for he does not return."

-Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, "Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum"

JURISDICTIONS
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby JURISDICTIONS » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:57 am

I like it but i do not have enough people to submit...also it is against WA rules.
You can call me "Juris" for short. Also, you don't have to type my nation name in all caps either.
Last edited by Max Barry on Mon Jan 01, 0001 12:01 am. Edited 000000000000 times in total.
Takaram wrote:Irony. Rule 4 prevents a repeal based on Rule 4 violations, meaning that Rule 4 does not comply with Rule 4. It should be struck down.
Kingdom of Great Britain - Lord Chief Justice
The East Pacific - Viceroy (Chief Justice) and Viceroy Designee (Asst. Chief Justice)
Osiris - Elder (Justice)

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:01 am

Also why should we live with a bad resolution that trickled through simply because it JUST trickled through?
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:06 am

Philimbesi wrote:Also why should we live with a bad resolution that trickled through simply because it JUST trickled through?

Or resolutions that never should have come up for vote to begin with.

Gobbannium
Envoy

Founded: Jan 10, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Gobbannium » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:57 am

I don't see any pressing need to actually do anything over this. As you said, the knee-jerk repeals are usually poorly thought out and worse-presented. The only ones that get to quorum are the ones which are sensibly (or at least entertainingly) written and properly campaigned for, like the one currently at vote.

It also has to be said that just because something passed by a large margin doesn't mean it's any good. People have a bad habit of voting for fluffily titled proposals without paying any attention to what they actually say or do. Which reminds me, I must get a repeal of For The Convicted And Detained together :)

There doesn't actually appear to be any problem here. Let's not try fixing it, OK?

The Palentine
Diplomat

Founded: May 18, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Palentine » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:24 am

Gobbannium wrote:I don't see any pressing need to actually do anything over this. As you said, the knee-jerk repeals are usually poorly thought out and worse-presented. The only ones that get to quorum are the ones which are sensibly (or at least entertainingly) written and properly campaigned for, like the one currently at vote.

It also has to be said that just because something passed by a large margin doesn't mean it's any good. People have a bad habit of voting for fluffily titled proposals without paying any attention to what they actually say or do. Which reminds me, I must get a repeal of For The Convicted And Detained together :)

There doesn't actually appear to be any problem here. Let's not try fixing it, OK?

Lets not forget my ground breaking research, old bean. It helps explain how bad laws get on the books.

These percentages are based on years of careful observation(using the Scientific Method, mind you) of the denizens of the Festering Snakepit, and their voting habits and trends.

80% Only read the title, and vote accordingly.
10% Actually read the entire damned resolution before voting.
5% Pay attention to and/or participate in the Forum debate before voting.
2% Vote by the warm and fuzzy feelings the resolution gives them.
2% use a magic eight ball to make their decision.
1% gut a sheep, and fondle the entrails, looking for a divine augary on how to vote.*

*disclaimer: Not that there is anything wrong with this method....far be it from me to cast any aspersions on any voting practice.
"There aren't quite as many irredeemable folks as everyone thinks."
-The Dourian Embassy

"Yeah, but some (like Sen. Sulla) have to count for, like 20 or 30 all by themselves."
-Hack

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:50 am

The Palentine wrote:
Gobbannium wrote:I don't see any pressing need to actually do anything over this. As you said, the knee-jerk repeals are usually poorly thought out and worse-presented. The only ones that get to quorum are the ones which are sensibly (or at least entertainingly) written and properly campaigned for, like the one currently at vote.

Lets not forget my ground breaking research, old bean. It helps explain how bad laws get on the books.

These percentages are based on years of careful observation(using the Scientific Method, mind you) of the denizens of the Festering Snakepit, and their voting habits and trends.

80% Only read the title, and vote accordingly.
10% Actually read the entire damned resolution before voting.
5% Pay attention to and/or participate in the Forum debate before voting.
2% Vote by the warm and fuzzy feelings the resolution gives them.
2% use a magic eight ball to make their decision.
1% gut a sheep, and fondle the entrails, looking for a divine augary on how to vote.*

*disclaimer: Not that there is anything wrong with this method....far be it from me to cast any aspersions on any voting practice.

You forgot to mention the ones who vote based on which side has paid them the most... :p
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Kovasckitz
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Bump, and then some

Postby Kovasckitz » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:42 am

Bump

Also, for any new readers this topic has been moved from from the General Assembly to here, I assume, because of my misunderstanding of a piece of the game, I won't go into it now, but still feedback would be nice. Thanks.
NationStates - A schizophrenic tale of morality, love, passion, debate and left-wing insanity in the world. Watch the Nations of the world scrape to the top of the pile in an undying effort to not only control the rest of the world but piss it off one person at a time.

Long Spoiler
Skirtingboard wrote:I will destroy the invaders. Through interperative dance.

Buffett and Colbert wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Urcea wrote:Are you guys criticizing the messager or the message? As far as I'm concerned, the message itself is solid.

So is poop.

Unless you've one too many tacos.

98% of all internet users would cry if facebook would break down, if you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh then copy and paste this into your sig.

ಠ_ಠ

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical