NATION

PASSWORD

Competition: make an ex-nation flag!

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Todd McCloud
Senator

Founded: Oct 11, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Re: Competition: make an ex-nation flag!

Postby Todd McCloud » Mon May 04, 2009 5:09 pm

Like this?

"Your uniform doesn't seem to fit. You're much too alive in it."

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi
"The worst prison would be a closed heart." - Pope John Paul II

Somewhereistonia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 31, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Somewhereistonia » Mon May 04, 2009 5:11 pm

North Mack wrote:is there a way you could just write a script that take a current nations image, fades it out and transposes "DECEASED" over it?

I've seen some javascript stuff that can set the opacity of an image, I'm sure there are ones out there that can transpose text over the top. just have it fade a nations flag to say like, 50%, and transpose DECEACED or EX-NATION over the top, then save that as the flag?

Would this not be a lot harder to add into the code? If one flag is used for every ex-nation, then its A: clear what it is and B: Simple to add in.

<Beddgelert> if that were true, i'd never have woken up with pockets full of ketchup
<Nth|Tableinating> Oi, my slow semen have nothing to do with this conversation!

North Mack
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 27, 2005
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby North Mack » Mon May 04, 2009 5:13 pm

depending on how compact the script is it could just be a simple javascript function (10 - 15 lines if it's good) and then one more when a nation gets deleted. just a suggestion :P and doing it that way would be much more dynamic, and i think more polished overall. just my opinion though.
T H E S T E L L A R R E P U B L I C O F N O R T H M A C K
Forged in Fire, Reforged in Blood
[ DeviantArt | NS FT Discord | The Local Cluster | FT Advice and Assistance Thread | The State of the Galaxy ]

Scolopendra
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Scolopendra » Mon May 04, 2009 5:14 pm

Somewhereistonia wrote:
Scolopendra wrote:Then the only people who can complain are those who have solid colors for flags, but we don't care what they think because they were sloppy in choosing flags to begin with.

Libya would love you :p

Then maybe the Colonel should get a Fun Pack of Crayolas and make his flag not boring. :P

Somewhereistonia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Somewhereistonia » Mon May 04, 2009 5:19 pm

Crayolas XD

Back on topic, NM I don't know that it would look more polished, some flags would work well faded out, whilst others would look messy and/or odd imo (including mine).

<Beddgelert> if that were true, i'd never have woken up with pockets full of ketchup

North Mack
Ambassador

Postby North Mack » Mon May 04, 2009 5:29 pm

Somewhereistonia wrote:Crayolas XD

Back on topic, NM I don't know that it would look more polished, some flags would work well faded out, whilst others would look messy and/or odd imo (including mine).

I don't think it looks that odd. granted if they look odd at full opacity, they will probably look odd at 50%

hm... maybe could even get away with a 25% opacity, make it really faded, and the deceased really stand out.

EDIT - I just got another idea. this image? Image would there be a way to make a red one for deceased nations? that way you just leave the flag and apply the side icon universally.
Last edited by North Mack on Mon May 04, 2009 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[ DeviantArt | NS FT Discord | The Local Cluster | FT Advice and Assistance Thread | The State of the Galaxy ]

Scolopendra
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Scolopendra » Mon May 04, 2009 5:32 pm

Skallvia: it'll get squished when it tries to fit into the 107 x 71 box for flags. Optimally, whatever comes up should be designed for that form factor.

Somewhere: that's just more reason to standardize the ex-nation flag. A single flag is easier, less likely to break, less likely to look goofy, and takes up less space. Once it gets cached in user browsers, it also takes up less bandwidth total.

North Mack: the "Deceased" doesn't work too well with the yellow in the example flag. Anything like that will inevitably hit-or-miss, and probably miss more often than hit.

Thinking of alpha channels... maybe I can fiddle something up.

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Mon May 04, 2009 5:32 pm

by North Mack » Mon May 04, 2009 7:08 pm

is there a way you could just write a script that take a current nations image, fades it out and transposes "DECEASED" over it?

I've seen some javascript stuff that can set the opacity of an image, I'm sure there are ones out there that can transpose text over the top. just have it fade a nations flag to say like, 50%, and transpose DECEACED or EX-NATION over the top, then save that as the flag?

That would require the server to keep the ex-nation's flag archived -they don't do that at the moment, however we have a chance to start fresh...

Somewhereistonia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Somewhereistonia » Mon May 04, 2009 5:36 pm

North Mack wrote:I don't think it looks that odd. granted if they look odd at full opacity, they will probably look odd at 50%

hm... maybe could even get away with a 25% opacity, make it really faded, and the deceased really stand out.

What have you done to my flag? :cry:

If we did have this, then I think it would be better for them to be more faded than that. EDIT: I agree with Scolo's last post.

North Mack wrote:would there be a way to make a red one for deceased nations? that way you just leave the flag and apply the side icon universally.

That might work... I'm not sure
Last edited by Somewhereistonia on Mon May 04, 2009 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

North Mack
Ambassador

Postby North Mack » Mon May 04, 2009 5:42 pm

yeah I think that's a better idea then my first one. I somehow didn't remember that the flags would have to be stored and would take up space :oops: I dont know how the online banner thing works and if it can be applied to other things, like groups.

Commerce Heights
Minister

Anarchy

Postby Commerce Heights » Mon May 04, 2009 5:43 pm

Combining Ardchoille’s concerns about using the aboriginal flag and Scolopendra’s suggestion of using an alpha channel, here’s yet another suggestion:

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Mon May 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Question - is it a requirement that we must fit the 107x71 pixels usual size?

It was just, I was looking at [violet]'s 148 x 159 pixel avatar in general curiosity...

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Mon May 04, 2009 5:53 pm

I dont know how the online banner thing works and if it can be applied to other things, like groups

Awesome idea. *Links to Massive List*

North Mack
Ambassador

Postby North Mack » Mon May 04, 2009 5:56 pm

well it's called "icon_user_online" which makes me think you could apply it to other things, like "icon_user_deceased" or "icon_user_mod" etc etc

Somewhereistonia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Somewhereistonia » Mon May 04, 2009 6:19 pm

If we did use that corner thing, then there would still be a flag shaped gap to fill, so it would probably be best if we used a standard 'ex-nation' flag anyway.

Skallvia: I'm not sure that "missing, reward" is a very good phrase to use, it doesn't tell people what it means, unlike ex-nation or similar.

North Mack
Ambassador

Postby North Mack » Mon May 04, 2009 6:29 pm

Somewhereistonia wrote:If we did use that corner thing, then there would still be a flag shaped gap to fill, so it would probably be best if we used a standard 'ex-nation' flag anyway.

who says we have to fill the gap? its not really a gap anyway. the name shifts up and fills the space. and the corner bar would let people know that the nation is deceased.

Skallvia
Attaché

Founded: Aug 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Skallvia » Mon May 04, 2009 6:31 pm

Somewhereistonia wrote:Skallvia: I'm not sure that "missing, reward" is a very good phrase to use, it doesn't tell people what it means, unlike ex-nation or similar.

Hmmm, good point...

Replaced "reward" with "Ex-Nation"...Its very basic, but I think it keeps the Jennifer Government theme, while still getting the point across...

Somewhereistonia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Somewhereistonia » Mon May 04, 2009 6:35 pm

North Mack wrote:who says we have to fill the gap? its not really a gap anyway. the name shifts up and fills the space. and the corner bar would let people know that the nation is deceased.

I suppose, but its probably more boring than a flag of some sort. It may also be harder to see at a glance what it means (the letters will be small), unlike the flag suggestions.

Skallvia: A missing nation that we know no longer exists? :P I think it should be kept to Ex-Nation or similar, one short phrase that clearly shows what the flag means.

Skallvia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Skallvia » Mon May 04, 2009 6:37 pm

Somewhereistonia wrote:
Skallvia: A missing nation that we know no longer exists? :P I think it should be kept to Ex-Nation or similar, one short phrase that clearly shows what the flag means.

Well, the idea was they could possibly come back, so the "Missing" implies that one day they may revive their nation....

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Mon May 04, 2009 6:40 pm

A missing nation that we know no longer exists?

I don't know, I think I agree with Todd on this one - "Ex-Nation" could put off returning players.

Skallvia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Skallvia » Mon May 04, 2009 6:41 pm

Unibot wrote:
A missing nation that we know no longer exists?

I don't know, I think I agree with Todd on this one - "Ex-Nation" could put off returning players.

Yeah, thats why I said they were "Missing" so that they are only an "Ex-Nation" for now, that way they would, hopefully, feel less put off...

Somewhereistonia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Somewhereistonia » Mon May 04, 2009 6:44 pm

Unibot wrote:I don't know, I think I agree with Todd on this one - "Ex-Nation" could put off returning players.

Returning players will most likely not see the flag attached to their own nations posts (having not posted for 30 days at least) so I don't think there is any group to be put off by the ex-nation tag.

If someone decides to return and does look for their old posts before doing so (very rare at best I think) then I don't see why it would put them off, when they revive their nation the flag will change anyway.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical