NATION

PASSWORD

Recruitment TGs outside of Game-Created Regions

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:21 am

Ananke II wrote:I foresee newbies wanting to leave my region just to get away from from the malicious spam.

That definitely shouldn't happen, since people who don't want recruitment TGs can easily set them to be blocked.

Shawb
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Shawb » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:24 am

[violet] wrote:
Ananke II wrote:I foresee newbies wanting to leave my region just to get away from from the malicious spam.

That definitely shouldn't happen, since people who don't want recruitment TGs can easily set them to be blocked.

They are newbies, they would be flooded before you get the chance to tell them how to turn it off. Let alone that the telegrams page wouldn't have different tabs so it's even possible that your instructive telegram as the region founder or delegate be easily lost among all those recruitment messages.

Shawb
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Shawb » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:35 am

Let's put it into this analysis

You just moved to a different country, you are looking into housing options and eventually find one and reside. do you like getting instant calls on the phone from the real estate agents offering you their own luxury flats?! If you want to move, YOU go to a real estate agent and look for housing options. it should be opt-in.

Weed
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 23, 2011
Capitalizt

Postby Weed » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:36 am

[violet] wrote:

And if the recruiters aren't using the new system, will they still be blocked? In other words, are recruiters using a manual system going to have to label their messages as recruitment? And if so how? Is it going to be a drop down box above the telegram box or something?

Cromarty
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:37 am

Shawb wrote:Let's put it into this analysis

You just moved to a different country, you are looking into housing options and eventually find one and reside. do you like getting instant calls on the phone from the real estate agents offering you their own luxury flats?! If you want to move, YOU go to a real estate agent and look for housing options. it should be opt-in.
Why? Recruitment in GCRs isn't opt in, and for years we've had to put up with your lot stealing our nations.

It's time for some payback.
Cerian Quilor wrote:There's a difference between breaking the rules, and being well....Cromarty...
<Koth>all sexual orientations must unite under the relative sexiness of madjack
Former Delegate of Osiris
Brommander of the Cartan Militia: They're Taking The Cartans To Isengard!
Кромартий

Weed
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 23, 2011
Capitalizt

Postby Weed » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:40 am

Cromarty wrote:
Shawb wrote:Let's put it into this analysis

Why? Recruitment in GCRs isn't opt in, and for years we've had to put up with your lot stealing our nations.

It's time for some payback.

Yes, but GCRs are in the spawn pool. It makes sense for people to have to go to GCRs for members. If UCRs are now part of the recruitment pool then nations should spawn in all regions, randomly. [I actually hate the idea, things should stay as they are. But it isn't logical to have nations spawn in only 5 regions but be open to recruitment in all.]

Cromarty
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:41 am

Logic is irrelevant.
Cerian Quilor wrote:There's a difference between breaking the rules, and being well....Cromarty...
<Koth>all sexual orientations must unite under the relative sexiness of madjack
Former Delegate of Osiris
Brommander of the Cartan Militia: They're Taking The Cartans To Isengard!
Кромартий

Tramiar
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 30, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Tramiar » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:43 am

Weed wrote:
[violet] wrote:That definitely shouldn't happen, since people who don't want recruitment TGs can easily set them to be blocked.

And if the recruiters aren't using the new system, will they still be blocked? In other words, are recruiters using a manual system going to have to label their messages as recruitment? And if so how? Is it going to be a drop down box above the telegram box or something?

It was posted somewhere that you would have to mark it as a recruitment TG, though I'm not sure how. Meaning if you're recruiting manually and forget to mark one, you could potentially be in trouble for "spamming". But that topic goes in the other thread. :P
Mallorea and Riva wrote:I too would ban myself if I saw me moving into my region.

Tramiar: *causes great injustices to natives and fenda-kind*
Spartzy: *prevents great injustices*
Tramiar: too late, they were already caused.
Spartzy: *stops great injustices*
Tramiar: *causes greater injustices, cannot be fixed until next update*
Spartzy: *quits the game*

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:51 am

Communist Eraser wrote:Repost:

On principle I have no problems if nations residing in UCRs to receive recruitment TGs if they want to. However it really should be an opt-in thing for them, rather than opt out. If a nation specifically wants to look elsewhere, fine, but by default the 'benefit of inertia' should be the reward for the region that put so much effort into recruiting them.

*warning: I haven't read the thread, but I agree with this.

Otherwise: Lift the rule a week after the new TG system is in place, so everybody has time to change their puppets into 'opt-out' mode.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Thetopiat
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Thetopiat » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:54 am

How about putting a new feature that filters recruitment telegrams to another inbox (think http://www.nationstates.net/page=recruitmenttelegrams) and add it to the sidebar like this:
@@NAME@@
>ISSUES
>TELEGRAMS
>RECRUITMENT TGS
>DOSSIER
>REPORTS
>SETTINGS
Another idea:
Ban recruitment TGing to regions with 100 and below nations and password regions.
EAT YOUR RATIONS!
NationStates World Assembly is a group of nations ruled by the Delegates and Proposers just don't go there!
Thetopiat ~~~ Topical Utopia ~~~ Alexop After WWIII
Thetopiat Moon Base III ~~~ Thetopiat Moon Base IV

Jamie Anumia
Senator

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jamie Anumia » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:10 am

Okay. Let me take this apart. I don't like this - though I can see some benefits. That's not to say I can't see some benefits, but I think the negatives vastly outweigh the positives. The benefits are that regions would have a vastly increased pool of nations to recruit from, and it could potentially ignite inter-regional conflict - which I think is a good thing, spicing up the game in this way generates excitement. It could also add a true meaning to NS Gameplay Wars since regions would gain an additional way to destroy regions - force them into stagnation and inactivity. It could also be a way for GCR's to better retain their members, since they could have a way to boost their numbers without having to recruit from it's fellow GCR's, something which I imagine they would not want to do (I personally wouldn't..it just seems wrong).

Okay, now the negatives. It means UCR's have to work harder than they already do to maintain their numbers (which is both a positive and a negative, to an extent). Another negative is spam - I don't want my nations that are in UCR's to be spammed with recruitment telegrams - granted, I'd be sure to turn them off, new nations may not). Another negative (which I think is the biggest) is upsetting the general balance of the game - and could cause general disruption - granted, causing regional conflict has some good sides, since it generates activity.
Last edited by Jamie Anumia on Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

San Leggera
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby San Leggera » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:14 am

Will new nations in the GCRs be unable to turn opt out of the recruitment messages?
Also, will current nations be opted out by default? I don't wanna log into one of my puppets one day and see 200,000 recruitment messages in its TG inbox :P If not, will there be the opportunity to opt out before the new system goes live?
(Apologies if these questions have already been answered. I've read through the 9 pages in the other thread and haven't the effort to read through the 5 here.)
#JusticeForGat
Flag | CoA | Map (bigger!)
I Just Want to Sell Out My Funeral

Tramiar
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 30, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Tramiar » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:16 am

San Leggera wrote:Will new nations in the GCRs be unable to turn opt out of the recruitment messages?
Also, will current nations be opted out by default? I don't wanna log into one of my puppets one day and see 200,000 recruitment messages in its TG inbox :P If not, will there be the opportunity to opt out before the new system goes live?
(Apologies if these questions have already been answered. I've read through the 9 pages in the other thread and haven't the effort to read through the 5 here.)

Unless you buy your puppets the limitless TG box, it won't hold all that many. I think Violet said the changes won't all come at once and mass recruiting like that wouldn't be til days later, so you could opt out before. nations, at this point, don't seem like they'll be opted out.
Mallorea and Riva wrote:I too would ban myself if I saw me moving into my region.

Tramiar: *causes great injustices to natives and fenda-kind*
Spartzy: *prevents great injustices*
Tramiar: too late, they were already caused.
Spartzy: *stops great injustices*
Tramiar: *causes greater injustices, cannot be fixed until next update*
Spartzy: *quits the game*

San Leggera
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby San Leggera » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:20 am

Tramiar wrote:
San Leggera wrote:Will new nations in the GCRs be unable to turn opt out of the recruitment messages?

Unless you buy your puppets the limitless TG box, it won't hold all that many. I think Violet said the changes won't all come at once and mass recruiting like that wouldn't be til days later, so you could opt out before. nations, at this point, don't seem like they'll be opted out.

The 200,000 was extreme hyperbole, since it wasn't obvious. Thanks for the clarification, though.
#JusticeForGat
Flag | CoA | Map (bigger!)
I Just Want to Sell Out My Funeral

Anime Daisuki
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Anime Daisuki » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:23 am

@Admin/Mods:

Sorry to be blunt, but allowing recruiting in UCRs is a bad idea.

When people move into a UCR, one of the main reason is to get some peace and quiet. This period of peace has a purpose. It allows them to find their footing, integrate into the community and hence stay in the game --- players who do not integrate, generally tire of the game and quit within a month. So now you allow recruiting in UCRs as well, the Regional Happenings will just turn into a revolving door and new players won't integrate as easily. Furthermore, this proposal is opening the door to potentially more wars and conflicts between UCRs. Say example, I can put 10 puppets in TNI, Unknown, TBR, and other invader regions and get them to start recruiting from each other... leading to mutual suspicion, conflict and chaos.

As a delegate, and a player who have played this game for years, I think most people just want to "enjoy the game" within our communities. We are not conflict-addicts. This sort of 'change' is not what I want to see.

~GRO
Last edited by Anime Daisuki on Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

Kshrlmnt
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 06, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Kshrlmnt » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:31 am

Christian Democrats wrote:I do not see why so many of you oppose competition.

Because when I have a cookie in my hand and am about to bite into it, I do not appreciate someone taking the cookie out of my hand and eating it themselves.

What about limiting recruiting in UCRs to UCRs above, say, 500 or 1000 nations? If we have to have recruiting in UCRs at all--and I say no.
Elindra Kshrlmnt Dion Diablessa
Lady of Loquacity and Archempress of Unknown

Mistress of the lolcats, Secretary of NS Disney, Author of Ask Ellie, Victim of the illustrious Flag Thief, Member of PETI
She whose name can too be pronounced

Koth - Last Monday at 9:38 AM
I get sad when I offend elindra because I don't intend to yet I will do absolutely nothing to prevent it

Woonsocket
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 04, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Woonsocket » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:36 am

Anime Daisuki wrote:@Admin/Mods:

Sorry to be blunt, but allowing recruiting in UCRs is a bad idea.

When people move into a UCR, one of the main reason is to get some peace and quiet. This period of peace has a purpose. It allows them to find their footing, integrate into the community and hence stay in the game --- players who do not integrate, generally tire of the game and quit within a month. So now you allow recruiting in UCRs as well, the Regional Happenings will just turn into a revolving door and new players won't integrate as easily. Furthermore, this proposal is opening the door to potentially more wars and conflicts between UCRs. Say example, I can put 10 puppets in TNI, Unknown, TBR, and other invader regions and get them to start recruiting from each other... leading to mutual suspicion, conflict and chaos.

As a delegate, and a player who have played this game for years, I think most people just want to "enjoy the game" within our communities. We are not conflict-addicts. This sort of 'change' is not what I want to see.

~GRO

Plus there is the question, which has been repeated several times - what of the natural advantage of GCRs over UCRs due to new nations all being created in GCRs? Can this question be answered please?
If you're not scared or angry at the thought of a human brain being controlled remotely, then it could be this prototype of mine is finally starting to work.

Frattastan II
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 27, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frattastan II » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:43 am

Ananke II wrote:If people are unhappy in their region and wants to know about other opportunities, let them opt-in to receive recruitment telegrams instead of making every newbie or non-forum goer/gameplayer the frontline in a recruitment war.

This would be a much more sensible solution.
Rejected Realms Army High Commander
(So you've been ejected..., forum, news, RRA)
<@Guy> well done, fuckhead.
* @Guy claps for frattastan

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:53 am

There will be no special rules for GCR nations You can block TGs by category regardless of where you reside.

Everyone will be blocking "None" by default, although we've discussed an easing in period, to eliminate any potential spam flood. Aside from this, Mass TGs are coming online a few days later than everything else, so you will be able to set up your TG blocks first.

General Halcones
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby General Halcones » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:53 am

This is a very bad idea. I would definitely restrict recruitment TGs to game-created regions only.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:00 am

Ananke II wrote:If people are unhappy in their region and wants to know about other opportunities, let them opt-in to receive recruitment telegrams instead of making every newbie or non-forum goer/gameplayer the frontline in a recruitment war.

New nations are already on the frontline in the recruitment war, because they start in a GCR and everyone immediately TGs them. The new system ensures they won't receive 10 recruitment TGs within a few seconds as it actually staggers them out.

I don't support opt-in; it's really hard to imagine a situation where people would use that. They would have to be unhappy enough with their region to go find an opt-in setting, but not so unhappy they'd actually check out other regions and move there. The opt-out method makes far more sense from a usability point of view: You get a recruitment TG, you think, "I don't want any more of this," you click Spam, you select "Block All Recruitment TGs," it's done. It puts the choice in the hands of the user.

General Halcones
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby General Halcones » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:03 am

New nations are already on the frontline in the recruitment war, because they start in a GCR and everyone immediately TGs them. The new system ensures they won't receive 10 recruitment TGs within a few seconds as it actually staggers them out.

And what decides which recruitment messages are sent first? Often, a new nation will join the region that is first in sending them a recruitment message.

Kshrlmnt
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 06, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Kshrlmnt » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:09 am

[violet] wrote:I don't support opt-in; it's really hard to imagine a situation where people would use that. They would have to be unhappy enough with their region to go find an opt-in setting, but not so unhappy they'd actually check out other regions and move there. The opt-out method makes far more sense from a usability point of view: You get a recruitment TG, you think, "I don't want any more of this," you click Spam, you select "Block All Recruitment TGs," it's done. It puts the choice in the hands of the user.

I can see your point with the nigh-irrelevance of the opt-in. What I don't see is many thousands of nations may now have to opt out of spam for the sake of the couple hundred that are interested in it--when these same could browse regions just as easily as you or I could.
Elindra Kshrlmnt Dion Diablessa
Lady of Loquacity and Archempress of Unknown

Mistress of the lolcats, Secretary of NS Disney, Author of Ask Ellie, Victim of the illustrious Flag Thief, Member of PETI
She whose name can too be pronounced

Koth - Last Monday at 9:38 AM
I get sad when I offend elindra because I don't intend to yet I will do absolutely nothing to prevent it

Cerian Quilor
Senator

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Cerian Quilor » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:46 am

The problem remains that there will be people who will move into a region from a GCR, and then before they've had a chance to get integrated, then they have to survive another round of recruitment - probably recuitment telegrams saying why the region they're in sucks and they should move. Which is not what we want. The established players in a region won't move (and they'll move out or make a puppet if they want to shop around for a new region) and the newbies that arrve daily can be reached just by recruiting from the GCRs as normal. But massive disinformation campaigns in recruiting in UCRs recruiting newbies out from eachother's feet isn't going to allow the UCR that 'gets them first' (as in sends a TG to them in the GCR that convinces them to move in the first place) any time to get their new arrival situated.

@Cromarty: We're not poaching your nations in the GCRs. If we could have automatic spawn, we'd LOOOVE to accept being recruited at over and over again. But you have spawn, and we don't.
Never underestimate the power of cynicism, pessimism and negativity to prevent terrible things from happening. Only idealists try to build the future on a mountain of bodies.

The Thing to Remember About NationStates is that it is an almost entirely social game - fundamentally, you have no power beyond your own ability to convince people to go along with your ideas. In that sense, even the most dictatorial region is fundamentally democratic.

Letoilenoir
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Letoilenoir » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:05 am

Could a REGION go ex-directory?

By moving to an ex-directory region you would be immune to any mass TG unless sent by a member of your region

Silence from the Spams
KEEP THE BLOOD CAVE FREE

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical