NATION

PASSWORD

New TG system: Q&A Thread

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:08 am

Mousebumples wrote:What about a %%REGION%% tag/whatever you call it thingy? When sending WA TGs, I often like to include their region name. Sometimes WADs are replaced between when I send the TG and when they read it, or perhaps they move, etc., so that helps to clarify who/why I'm sending the TG to them.

I'm used to hand-typing the nation and region name, but ... I'm okay with making that part of my TG process easier ... :)

EDIT: Unless such a tag would change as the target nation moves from region to region? I'd figure that if it would stay static as whatever region they resided in when the TG was sent, it could be useful. :unsure:

There was some discussion about this in the API thread, starting here.
Last edited by Auralia on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Atmos
Attaché

Founded: Oct 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Atmos » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:13 am

Jormengand wrote:
Atmos wrote:
I appreciate the response, and you're likely right. At the risk of being Captain Obvious... If that's the only thing holding you back, perhaps the tag could be enabled for all nations, as part of the new TG system. But I'm sure that's something you've considered already.

Either way, well done. I'm looking forward to the documented API, as it sounds like it's coming along nicely! :)

Images take space. Space takes time. People don't want to spend time waiting for their TG box to open each time.

That would be the case if the images were hosted on NS's server. Given they'd be off-server links, there would be no delay in the TG box opening. The only possible delay you'd have, if you were on a slow connection, is in seeing the actual images. But the message itself would load as fast as it would if no images were present. You'd just see a blank area in the message until the image loaded.
I'm Ouroboros, and I approved this message.
Sixth Guardian of
GIRO
Brought to you and paid for by the Creative Think Tank of Atmos.
Chief Editor of the Global News Network [GNN]

The Most Glorious Hack
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 11, 2003
Anarchy

Postby The Most Glorious Hack » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:03 am

Mahaj wrote:
[violet] wrote:I would imagine current rules continue to apply, i.e. there will still be situations where some messages are arguably recruitment TGs and arguably not. But under the new system, only messages marked as recruitment TGs get the 1-click "move to <region>" button, so any "stealth recruitment TG" would miss out on that.

But overall, are the rules of what constitutes recruitment going to be more relaxed?

Yes, yes, we know what you're driving at.
Now the stars they are all angled wrong,
And the sun and the moon refuse to burn.
But I remember a message,
In a demon's hand:
"Dread the passage of Jesus, for he does not return."

-Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, "Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum"

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:50 am

Mahaj wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:Recruitment is recruitment is recruitment is recruitment.

Except none of those are really recruitment.

Except the mods determined that the first was recruitment when they deleted Unibot II, the second after explaining it to Unibot, and the third just seems like a way to get around the recruitment rules by directing them to go to a site where they can be recruited.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Mahaj
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:36 am

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Mahaj wrote:Except none of those are really recruitment.

Except the mods determined that the first was recruitment when they deleted Unibot II, the second after explaining it to Unibot, and the third just seems like a way to get around the recruitment rules by directing them to go to a site where they can be recruited.

I fail to see how "Hey Mall, can we talk on IRC?" is recruitment.
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

Warhaven
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 20, 2004
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Warhaven » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:37 am

If I beg really hard would that get the new system installed sooner? If not, then what, besides the Q&A thread, is the hold up really?

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:39 am

Warhaven wrote:If I beg really hard would that get the new system installed sooner? If not, then what, besides the Q&A thread, is the hold up really?

I'm assuming [violet] has a day job, a family, and needs to sleep.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:40 am

Warhaven wrote:If I beg really hard would that get the new system installed sooner? If not, then what, besides the Q&A thread, is the hold up really?

[violet] would be able to if he wasn't having to spend 24/7 answering questions here...
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tramiar
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 30, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Tramiar » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:08 am

Mahaj wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:Except the mods determined that the first was recruitment when they deleted Unibot II, the second after explaining it to Unibot, and the third just seems like a way to get around the recruitment rules by directing them to go to a site where they can be recruited.

I fail to see how "Hey Mall, can we talk on IRC?" is recruitment.

Because we all know where you're going with that. Like Mall said, its a way to get around the recruitment rules. You don't just want to talk, you want to recruit them. I'm not sure why you even need a way around recruitment unless you're trying to recruit people who don't want recruited. In which case, take a hint and move on.
Mallorea and Riva wrote:I too would ban myself if I saw me moving into my region.

Tramiar: *causes great injustices to natives and fenda-kind*
Spartzy: *prevents great injustices*
Tramiar: too late, they were already caused.
Spartzy: *stops great injustices*
Tramiar: *causes greater injustices, cannot be fixed until next update*
Spartzy: *quits the game*

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:44 am

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Mahaj wrote:Except none of those are really recruitment.

Wasn't the ruling based on the fact that Unibot wasn't allowed to recruit in UCRs? Looking at the ruling, that was indeed the issue. Now that recruitment is player-centered, it doesn't matter where the player is. There's no issue of founders/delegates "controlling inboxes."

I don't see how that mod determination isn't nullified by this change. Tsaraine even seemed to allude to it.

Tramiar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tramiar » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:47 am

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:Except the mods determined that the first was recruitment when they deleted Unibot II, the second after explaining it to Unibot, and the third just seems like a way to get around the recruitment rules by directing them to go to a site where they can be recruited.

Wasn't the ruling based on the fact that Unibot wasn't allowed to recruit in UCRs? Looking at the ruling, that was indeed the issue. Now that recruitment is player-centered, it doesn't matter where the player is. There's no issue of founders/delegates "controlling inboxes."

I don't see how that mod determination isn't nullified by this change. Tsaraine even seemed to allude to it.

Just because it's allowed now doesn't mean it isn't recruitment. It's only legal recruitment.
Mallorea and Riva wrote:I too would ban myself if I saw me moving into my region.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:51 am

Tramiar wrote:Just because it's allowed now doesn't mean it isn't recruitment. It's only legal recruitment.

I don't understand what you're trying to say, here. :| Does the UDL just not want to be called a recruiter or something? It seems to me that Unibot is now allowed to do what he wanted to a while ago. That is, the UDL as an organization is allowed to advertise its "affiliate regions" and even advertise its own region/organization. This is because recruiting rules are no longer going to be region-based, and the mod rulings all relied on region-based things.

Tramiar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tramiar » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:58 am

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Tramiar wrote:Just because it's allowed now doesn't mean it isn't recruitment. It's only legal recruitment.

I don't understand what you're trying to say, here. :| Does the UDL just not want to be called a recruiter or something?

That was my question for my post before that last one. Mahaj seems determined to make sure that it won't be called recruitment. The only reason I can think of he would want it to not be recruitment is to get past the recruiting rules, and to attempt to recruit those who have blocked recruitment TGs.
Last edited by Tramiar on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:26 am

Yeah, Tramiar is right - Mahaj's questions seem to be leading towards whether a recruiting TG for defending/the UDL would have to be labelled as a recruiting one when sent through the TG system. We haven't set up definite rules for the new TG system, but the answer is probably yes - if you're recruiting, whether for a region or an organisation, you're going to have to label that as a recruiting telegram.

If you want to rules lawyer it down to "but can I use it to promote defending, or to ask whether someone can join an IRC channel (where you'll try to recruit him)" then you need to ask yourself why you're trying to get around someone choosing to block recruiting TGs.

Johz
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Johz » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:32 am

Sedgistan wrote:Yeah, Tramiar is right - Mahaj's questions seem to be leading towards whether a recruiting TG for defending/the UDL would have to be labelled as a recruiting one when sent through the TG system. We haven't set up definite rules for the new TG system, but the answer is probably yes - if you're recruiting, whether for a region or an organisation, you're going to have to label that as a recruiting telegram.

If you want to rules lawyer it down to "but can I use it to promote defending, or to ask whether someone can join an IRC channel (where you'll try to recruit him)" then you need to ask yourself why you're trying to get around someone choosing to block recruiting TGs.

Perhaps because of the "move to" button? If you had some sort of aregional organisation, like the UDL is, then having a big button telling people to move to a region isn't very helpful. As a result, I suspect Mahaj was trying to ask if he could send normal TGs that don't include a "move to this region" button, but still recruit through them.
Always Ready (With a Cuppa): UDL
Praise [violet] for safe switching!

The Village of Johz - (Factbook)
Head of Foreign Affairs:
Mr Newman
Head of the Flower Rota: Mrs Figgis
Population: 269 (Johzians)
Sometime between when the "evolution is just a theory" nonesense dies out, and when Ashmoria starts using captitalization. - EnragedMaldivians
It's called a tangent. It tends to happen on NSG. - Olthar
[E]very Brit I've met on the internet has been violently apathetic. - Conserative Morality
This is Johz. I'd like to give him a hug someday. - Celly
See a mistake? Send me a telegram!|I would be very much indebted to you.
LINKS: My Website|Barryman|Gay Marriage: Who will be next?

#NSG on esper.net - Join us!
Also, bonobos zygons.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:42 am

Johz wrote:Perhaps because of the "move to" button? If you had some sort of aregional organisation, like the UDL is, then having a big button telling people to move to a region isn't very helpful. As a result, I suspect Mahaj was trying to ask if he could send normal TGs that don't include a "move to this region" button, but still recruit through them.

I don't think TGs recruiting to anything should be sent as anything other than recruitment TGs. The "move region" button doesn't seem like a big enough reason to not label them as recruitment TGs.

Johz
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Johz » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:55 am

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Johz wrote:Perhaps because of the "move to" button? If you had some sort of aregional organisation, like the UDL is, then having a big button telling people to move to a region isn't very helpful. As a result, I suspect Mahaj was trying to ask if he could send normal TGs that don't include a "move to this region" button, but still recruit through them.

I don't think TGs recruiting to anything should be sent as anything other than recruitment TGs. The "move region" button doesn't seem like a big enough reason to not label them as recruitment TGs.

True. Maybe a better solution would be the "move region" button being optional (defaulting to on)?
Always Ready (With a Cuppa): UDL
Praise [violet] for safe switching!

The Village of Johz - (Factbook)
Head of Foreign Affairs:
Mr Newman
Head of the Flower Rota: Mrs Figgis
Population: 269 (Johzians)
Sometime between when the "evolution is just a theory" nonesense dies out, and when Ashmoria starts using captitalization. - EnragedMaldivians
It's called a tangent. It tends to happen on NSG. - Olthar
[E]very Brit I've met on the internet has been violently apathetic. - Conserative Morality
This is Johz. I'd like to give him a hug someday. - Celly
See a mistake? Send me a telegram!|I would be very much indebted to you.
LINKS: My Website|Barryman|Gay Marriage: Who will be next?

#NSG on esper.net - Join us!
Also, bonobos zygons.

Riemstagrad
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Riemstagrad » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:45 pm

seems to be a big improvement, that new system!

congrats on everyone who worked on it!

All Good People
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 04, 2004
Libertarian Police State

Postby All Good People » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:49 pm

Agreed, I'm looking forward to it. And I really appreciate the effort. Thank you :)
Westwind of All Good People
Three Time World Assembly Delegate of The West Pacific
Former UN/WA Delegate Lewis and Clark of The North Pacific
Co-Founder and Emeritus Rex Westwind of Equilism

The West Pacific Forum: http://twp.nosync.org
Equilism Forum: http://www.equilism.org.forum

Abatael
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Abatael » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:06 pm

I believe it says somewhere in here, but I can't find it, but is this planned to be released within the week?
IMPERIVM·NOVVM·VENOLIÆ.
PAX·PER·BELLVM.
ROMVLVS·AVRELIVS·SECVNDVS.
DEVS·VENOLIAM·BENEDICAT.

Second Best Factbook (UNDERGOING MAJOR REVISIONS)| Factbook Rankings | Embassy Program

West Guyua
Attaché

Founded: Jan 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby West Guyua » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:11 pm

When will the new TG system be activated?
The Guyuan Republic
A Single-Party State based upon the principle of the Apartheid

IMPORTANT WARNING
This nation will never represent my RL views

Jamie Anumia
Senator

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jamie Anumia » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:16 pm

Abatael wrote:I believe it says somewhere in here, but I can't find it, but is this planned to be released within the week?

West Guyua wrote:When will the new TG system be activated?

Here.

Hileville
Envoy

Founded: May 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hileville » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:39 pm

Jamie Anumia wrote:
Abatael wrote:I believe it says somewhere in here, but I can't find it, but is this planned to be released within the week?

West Guyua wrote:When will the new TG system be activated?

Here.

So if everyone wants it to be implemented stop answering questions. I think a lot of the questions that have been asked about this are extremely hypothetical and it would be best to just wait and see what happens after release.
Hileville

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:46 pm

GR see everything Tram and Sedge said, they hit it on the head. I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying, I'm just saying that it *is* recruitment. Whether or not it will be legal is up to the mods.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Jamie Anumia
Senator

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jamie Anumia » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:58 pm

Hileville wrote:
Jamie Anumia wrote:
Here.

So if everyone wants it to be implemented stop answering questions. I think a lot of the questions that have been asked about this are extremely hypothetical and it would be best to just wait and see what happens after release.

I disagree actually. I think some of the questions are best to be answered now. The TG system will be finished sooner or later anyway.
On that note, I do have a question. Will these 'recruitment reports' be statistic based - such as "10% of nations move to your region.." or just general showing which nations moved to the region?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical