NATION

PASSWORD

Sessions

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Rejistania
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Sessions

Postby Rejistania » Sun May 03, 2009 2:49 pm

I have to admit that I am spoiled. In Konqueror, I never had any session timeouts in Jolt and very few in the old fora (those were the days). Here on FF, I seem to lose my session with annoying regularity. Then, I am even logged out of my nation even though I selected to remain logged on (this is my box, no one else can fight its UI :geek: ). Is there something, I can do against that? Can you make the forum more... more like the xkcd one, which does remember my session over days?
Rejis sjiki, linux sjiki, alari sjiki, korona sjiki!
Forever united, forever free, forever in justice, forever prospering!

"Tekneluru mi'aru mi aji, il'sidekhir'ra mi, lajistas. Mi'ki'vasu kynha'het kijitax." Hank͜hila Sede, first lentine (translation: A dream is only a dream until it is reached. After that, it becomes something trivial)

Headlines from the Na~ovi Nanti: Hetkali election ended in no candidate over 2% hurdle - Syku I Jai fired as coach of Aetaila Seli, youth coach Hea I Juien takes over reins of club - Rising number of fairy penguins in Sumumusumu and neighboring islands

This person is pro-EU and proud of it! They are also a Eurofederalist and want the Federated States of Europe!

[violet]
Executive Director

Re: Sessions

Postby [violet] » Sun May 03, 2009 4:36 pm

When you say you "selected to remain logged on", where did you do that? I don't understand.

I'd guess that you tend to lose your session after posting (if you then just wait until the page reloads) and when clicking links from the sidebar, rather than within the forum -- because that will cause the forum to regenerate a session for you based on your in-game login, rather than just using any already-established forum session. But these should always be the same, so please let me know what's happening in more detail.

Rejistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Rejistania » Sun May 03, 2009 10:14 pm

[violet] wrote:When you say you "selected to remain logged on", where did you do that? I don't understand.

I'd guess that you tend to lose your session after posting (if you then just wait until the page reloads) and when clicking links from the sidebar, rather than within the forum -- because that will cause the forum to regenerate a session for you based on your in-game login, rather than just using any already-established forum session. But these should always be the same, so please let me know what's happening in more detail.

I selected to remain logged in in the NS settings page. Despite that, I occasionally see my session expire and the sidebar show the generic things there, which it shows when I am not logged in, starting with 'Create a nation'. It seems to be a needless complication to make this zigzag via the game all too often, especially since you can not log in in the fora when your session expired.

"Tekneluru mi'aru mi aji, il'sidekhir'ra mi, lajistas. Mi'ki'vasu kynha'het kijitax." Hank͜hila Sede, first lentine (translation: A dream is only a dream until it is reached. After that, it becomes something trivial)

Headlines from the Na~ovi Nanti: Hetkali election ended in no candidate over 2% hurdle - Syku I Jai fired as coach of Aetaila Seli, youth coach Hea I Juien takes over reins of club - Rising number of fairy penguins in Sumumusumu and neighboring islands

This person is pro-EU and proud of it! They are also a Eurofederalist and want the Federated States of Europe!

Tsaraine
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tsaraine » Sun May 03, 2009 10:29 pm

I think we have a miscommunication here; what you're selecting is "log in automatically", not "remain logged in indefinitely". So your sessions should last the same length as everyone else's, but when you come back to the game it should automatically bring up Rejistania. As opposed to having to log in manually every time.

The game will automatically log you out after X period of inactivity on the game; it doesn't seem to recognise activity on the forums towards that limit, however, which is a bug and not a feature now that we have an integrated game and forum.

Rejistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Rejistania » Sun May 03, 2009 10:44 pm

I see. *hands the mods a can of bugspray*

Note to self: Don't post when too tired. :)

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Mon May 04, 2009 1:29 am

Rejistania wrote:I occasionally see my session expire and the sidebar show the generic things there, which it shows when I am not logged in

How long do you mean by "occasionally"? Because there is a timeout of around 30 minutes. It's necessary to time out sessions at some point, or else we would have massive numbers of them.

Forum activity not resetting timeout counter: really? It should. I haven't tested this thoroughly though...
Last edited by [violet] on Mon May 04, 2009 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Mon May 04, 2009 1:31 am

Tsaraine wrote:what you're selecting is "log in automatically", not "remain logged in indefinitely".

They are related, though -- if autologin worked on the forum, you wouldn't even notice session expiry, because you'd automatically get a new one. I need to look into that.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical