NATION

PASSWORD

Screenreader mode?

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Diol
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Screenreader mode?

Postby Diol » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:48 am

Hello,
I use a screenreader to read the text on the website, as I'm blind. However, I have to use the antiquity theme because it's simply more accessible (with more headings and such to navigate too), so don't have the handy switch button. Would it be possible to create a theme, like the antiquity theme, but with the switch button?
the silver isles
An up and comming rp region with an active community!
I rp as the united vakali empire in all techs
Proud slaver state. All arguments accepted and answered.
Note: I am blind. Expect terrible grammar, as it is hard to skim posts with screen reader.

SalusaSecondus
Senior Admin

Founded: Jun 12, 2003
Father Knows Best State

Postby SalusaSecondus » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:12 am

No promises, but I'll look into what this would take and keep you posted.

SalusaSecondus
Senior Admin

Founded: Jun 12, 2003
Father Knows Best State

Postby SalusaSecondus » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:17 am

Does the switch functionality in the forums (in Antiquity) work for screen readers?

Diol
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Diol » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:58 pm

SalusaSecondus wrote:Does the switch functionality in the forums (in Antiquity) work for screen readers?

Not all that well, however the switch function in century works for screenreaders fine, it's just that the headings and menus are all messed up, and a few lines of rather important text appear to be missing from the nation page.

Thanks for looking into it.
the silver isles
Note: I am blind. Expect terrible grammar, as it is hard to skim posts with screen reader.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:43 pm

You mean the option to log in as another nation without logging out, right? It's right next to the logout button in the banner. I wonder why it doesn't get noticed by your screenreader. The Mac text-to-speech picks it up, so a proper screenreader really ought to.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Spartzerium
Envoy

Founded: May 24, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Spartzerium » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:32 pm

Linux and the X wrote:You mean the option to log in as another nation without logging out, right? It's right next to the logout button in the banner. I wonder why it doesn't get noticed by your screenreader. The Mac text-to-speech picks it up, so a proper screenreader really ought to.

This looks like it's about the antiquity theme, which doesn't have the switch option gameside.
NS Married to Tramiar <3
Father of Rawr, Mall, Jakker, Severisen, and Talisi
I once was a defender...
Former Chief Lieutenant - UDL
Former AC, VC (2 terms), CoDF (2 terms), RRO, General of the Alliance, and more - FRA
Former King, VC, and IA Minister - CoN
Former Vice Commander, Chief of Defense - CoJ

I once was a Forum 7'er...
Founder of The United Church of Reppy
Also started various other random forum games

And I once... had other random info I didn't know where to put...
Originally joined NationStates May 25, 2008.
Formerly known as Spartzerina/New Spartzerina.
Retired Major / Field Marshal - The Black Hawks
TBH Forum - TBH News Thread

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:42 am

Spartzerium wrote:
Linux and the X wrote:You mean the option to log in as another nation without logging out, right? It's right next to the logout button in the banner. I wonder why it doesn't get noticed by your screenreader. The Mac text-to-speech picks it up, so a proper screenreader really ought to.

This looks like it's about the antiquity theme, which doesn't have the switch option gameside.

Ah, I see. I spend most of my time forumside, where the Antiquity theme DOES have the switch button.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Diol
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Diol » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:21 am

bump
the silver isles

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical