NATION

PASSWORD

Is My Flag Updating on the Forums?

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
The New World Oceania
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Is My Flag Updating on the Forums?

Postby The New World Oceania » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:43 pm

I've been changing my flag recently, using one that I'd used in the past. However, since I'd deleted that, I had to remake it. Now, in trying to reach the right size, I've (to my knowledge) made the image larger, and tried uploading it. It appears to be larger in the settings, though on the forums, it's still the same size. Is it refraining from changing on the forums, or is it simply the same size as it was?

It'd be unfortunate if a Moderator failed to see the "Not [violet]" on it because it's too small :p
Woman-made-woman.
Formerly Not a Bang but a Whimper.
Mario Cerce, Member of the Red - Green Alliance, Fighting for your Fernão!
Elizia
Joyce Wu, Eternal President of Elizia
Wen Lin, Governor of Jinyu
Ahmed Alef, Member for South Hutnegeri
Dagmar
Elise Marlowe, Member for Varland
Calaverde
Alsafyr Njil, Minister of Justice
Vienna Eliot et. al, Poets
Dick Njil, Journalist
Assad Hazouri, Mayor of Masalbhumi
Baltonia
Clint Webb, Member of the Seima
Ment-Al Li, United Nations Agent
Aurentina
Clint Webb, Senator

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:25 pm

The New World Oceania wrote:I've been changing my flag recently, using one that I'd used in the past. However, since I'd deleted that, I had to remake it. Now, in trying to reach the right size, I've (to my knowledge) made the image larger, and tried uploading it. It appears to be larger in the settings, though on the forums, it's still the same size. Is it refraining from changing on the forums, or is it simply the same size as it was?

It'd be unfortunate if a Moderator failed to see the "Not [violet]" on it because it's too small :p

I believe the game resizes flags to the acceptable size. The Upload Custom Flag page has more information on it:
You can create an image on your computer and upload it as The Republic of Lanos's national flag.

Your flag should be in PNG, GIF, or JPEG format, no larger than 250KB, and appropriate (i.e. conforming to site etiquette and being reasonably flag-like).

Images likely to cause widespread offense (e.g. nudity, swastikas) are prohibited and your nation may be deleted if you post them.

Your image will be resized to fit on your nation page. Generally, images come out best if they are rectangular: about two-thirds as high as they are wide. More details...

Automatic Flag Resizing

Your flag will usually be resized to fit within 214x142 pixels. Both height and width must fit, so if your flag is perfectly square, it will wind up as 142x142. Animated GIFs will usually be reformatted as static images.

Exceptions: JPG or PNG images are not resized if they are under 12kB and fit within either 428x284 or 107x426. You can therefore have a flag with larger than usual dimensions if its filesize is very low. (Getting under 12kB is usually only possible with simple PNGs or GIFs, not photo-like images.) Also, your flag will be left alone if it is within 107x71 and 50kB, which is sometimes used to upload animated GIFs.

Thumbnails are always created. If you upload an animated GIF that qualifies for the exception above, its thumbnails will still be static.

The reason you may occasionally see a nation with a flag that does not conform to these rules is that it was uploaded under a previous system.

However, the forum flag displays will remain that size regardless of what you do.
Last edited by The Republic of Lanos on Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:12 pm

On the forums, flags are squeezed into 107x90px while maintaining their aspect ratio. So tall flags can appear to be quite small.

My avatar is not a flag (i.e. not linked to a nation), so it's different.

The New World Oceania
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New World Oceania » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:47 pm

[violet] wrote:On the forums, flags are squeezed into 107x90px while maintaining their aspect ratio. So tall flags can appear to be quite small.

My avatar is not a flag (i.e. not linked to a nation), so it's different.

Ah. So this is as big as it gets, by current limits, then?
Woman-made-woman.
Formerly Not a Bang but a Whimper.
Mario Cerce, Member of the Red - Green Alliance, Fighting for your Fernão!
Elizia
Joyce Wu, Eternal President of Elizia
Wen Lin, Governor of Jinyu
Ahmed Alef, Member for South Hutnegeri
Dagmar
Elise Marlowe, Member for Varland
Calaverde
Alsafyr Njil, Minister of Justice
Vienna Eliot et. al, Poets
Dick Njil, Journalist
Assad Hazouri, Mayor of Masalbhumi
Baltonia
Clint Webb, Member of the Seima
Ment-Al Li, United Nations Agent
Aurentina
Clint Webb, Senator

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:17 pm

Correct. You have a 187x213px image which is being shrunk until it fits inside a 107x90 box. The result is 79x90px. Your avatar could be wider but no taller.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:36 pm

Weren't they shrunk down to 107x71 before? And the flag would be stretched or condensed to fit that size if it had the wrong dimensions?
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:11 pm

I think you're talking about what happens game-side when you upload a custom flag, which is different. On the forums, it uses your current flag as your avatar but instructs your browser that it should be displayed with a max-height of 90px and max-width of 107px.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical