NATION

PASSWORD

TG's sent to personal mail?

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

TG's sent to personal mail?

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:41 am

Look, from what I gather all the problem with having inboxes/outboxes is the issue of storage of TG's, taking precious server space.

So, couldn't all the TG's we send be delivered to our emails? Also, the TG's we receive? Thus, the server space problem is solved! No personal email address of another party needs to be disclosed, just the Nation's name.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:48 am

I'd only suggest to allow this feature if the nation that is tending the TG has a valid email address to prevent spammers(a bit) from abusing nationstates.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:14 am

As it currently stands, players who receive abusive/offensive/spammy TGs from other players can report these to the Mods, who can look at their in-boxes to confirm the details before taking action: That wouldn't be possible if your suggestion were to be adopted.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:50 am

Bears Armed wrote:As it currently stands, players who receive abusive/offensive/spammy TGs from other players can report these to the Mods, who can look at their in-boxes to confirm the details before taking action: That wouldn't be possible if your suggestion were to be adopted.

But our TG's should still come to our NationStates TG in-site inbox; what I'm suggesting is that they may be also sent to our own emails.

Anyways, this is not the most important part of my suggestion; I care a lot more about we receive a copy of what we send; it is all too easy to forget the exact contents of what you send after various TG's.

This could (and should) be an optional feature: I can see hell after delivering hundrends of TG's in a Resolution campaign.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:06 pm

[violet] has posted elsewhere that our current TG system isn't scalable.

What you're asking for is essentially to have a SMTP mail system grafted on to the TG system, along with some optional controls. Once the admins figure out a way to make the TG system more scalable and functional, this issue will either be made redundant or made significantly easier to implement. As it is, probably not an option.

JURISDICTIONS
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby JURISDICTIONS » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:52 am

Not everyone has access to e-mail, some schools in the united states block e-mail sites from students....my school being one of them.
You can call me "Juris" for short. Also, you don't have to type my nation name in all caps either.
Last edited by Max Barry on Mon Jan 01, 0001 12:01 am. Edited 000000000000 times in total.
Takaram wrote:Irony. Rule 4 prevents a repeal based on Rule 4 violations, meaning that Rule 4 does not comply with Rule 4. It should be struck down.
Kingdom of Great Britain - Lord Chief Justice
The East Pacific - Viceroy (Chief Justice) and Viceroy Designee (Asst. Chief Justice)
Osiris - Elder (Justice)

Czardas
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 25, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Czardas » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:07 am

I have an idea that will change your life.

Open a .txt file, call it "sent telegrams". Copy the text of every telegram you send, as well as the name of the player you're sending it to and the time, and ta-dah. Your sent telegrams are logged!

Then open another .txt file, call it "received telegrams", and do the same. Amazing! Your problem is solved!
30 | she/her | USA | ✡︎ | ☭ | ♫

I have devised a truly marvelous signature, which this textblock is too small to contain

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:17 am

Czardas wrote:I have an idea that will change your life.

Open a .txt file, call it "sent telegrams". Copy the text of every telegram you send, as well as the name of the player you're sending it to and the time, and ta-dah. Your sent telegrams are logged!

Then open another .txt file, call it "received telegrams", and do the same. Amazing! Your problem is solved!

I have already done that Goofy, and it sucks. Now please get back on your meds.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:17 pm

Sionis Prioratus wrote:I have already done that Goofy, and it sucks. Now please get back on your meds.

Sionis Prioratus: Knock of the flaming, especially here.

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:05 pm

Sionis Prioratus wrote:Look, from what I gather all the problem with having inboxes/outboxes is the issue of storage of TG's, taking precious server space.

It's actually not storage space; it's the way our architecture has bundled TGs in with everything else to do with a nation, so they must be processed all the time.

I would like to enable email notifications for things like TGs, but it wouldn't work as a complete replacement: not everyone has email, emails are often delayed, potential for spam, etc.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical